Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My favorite mob game is The Godfather. I've actually played through it more than once, I enjoyed it so much. gently caress now I kinda want to play it again. The Godfather 2 sucked, the entire playing area was like 4 city blocks. It had really brutal melee kill animations though, you'd smack someone in the jaw and see it dislocate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
People bring up New Vegas the most because its the most awesome and maybe the most well known. Fallout 3 is a favorite amongst console owners as well. I mean, there were people that played Morrowind on the loving Xbox for fucks sake.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
On the flip side Dungeon Siege 3 is the only Obsidian game I haven't played because the previous Steam thread said not to bother with it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I played it years ago for the PS2 but are the Wii and PS3 version additions worth a replay if I could grab either of them cheap?

Gameplay-wise they are all identical. PS3 has slightly better graphics, but Wii has motion controls that have you grabbing guys by the collars of their shirts and tossing them through windows. I could do that all fuckin' day.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Jade Empire did kind of suck. I played it for an hour or so and never went back. Conversely I loved the poo poo out KOTOR. Usually it ends up being tiny little things that make people decide whether they like a game or not.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Manatee Cannon posted:

Honestly the best thing you could do if you want something like FFT is to play Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (it's by Yasumi Matsuno, the guy that was the director/writer of FFT). Which is a PSP game. :v: It's available digitally on Vita as well, but again it's not a PC game. I can't think of anything on PC that actually plays like FFT except in the broadest terms.

The guy that made FFT also has an SRPG in development right now called Untold Story: Tale of the Guardians. It's a phone game, though.

PSP emulation has recently become a solid choice. It's worth considering.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Discussion of emulators is allowed on these forums. Here's a thread about PSP emulation. I'm not sure how to rip UMDs without owning a PSP but it's completely reasonable to rip your own UMDs and play them on the PC. While we're talking about PSP games similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, I'd like to throw in my vote for Jeanne d'Arc. The gameplay is very similar to FFT, and the plot is 'What if Joan of Arc was also Sailor Moon?'

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 22, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Not necessarily. Believe in SA Mart! He's probably doing something shady but he delivers what he promises so there's no reason for any of us to ask any questions about it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
All of its good reviews are from the mobile version. It is a mobile game. Therefore, it is trash. The worst thing about Steam is how it tricks people into buying mobile games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's so bad it makes the plot of the other games less interesting. When a series makes constant references to past material, it's called a fan wank, or fan-service. I'm not sure what it's called when a series takes those references and shits all over them. I would be fine with ignoring the plot entirely except the game keeps shoving it in your face. Adventure mode is an extremely late addition, before you had to play story mode exclusively.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Chris Metzen is like the goth teenager in high school who is always doodling giant demon cocks in his notebook. Take a look at some of his wonderful art from the Diablo 1 manual.

Here's some from Starcraft:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you thought Hitman Absolution was pretty good you will probably think Thief 4 is pretty good as well. Not like, mind-blowing or anything. Just unoffensively mediocre, with some irritating bits that end up souring the experience as a whole, but some really cool stuff sprinkled here and there. You have probably played and enjoyed worse games than Thief 4 or Hitman Absolution.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The main problem with Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and Hitman: Contracts is that your sneak speed is just absurdly slow. It's very noticeable if you have played Blood Money or Absolution. Despite loving Hitman 2 when it came out, I now find it to be unplayable because of this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I own Thief Gold on CD and on Steam already, so here's a gift key from the Humble Bundle.

I was able to get this. Thank you!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

This post was made by a crazy person. Anyways, I would suggest Outlast I guess? That one I haven't actually played. If you don't mind some jank, there's also Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, but be warned there is much jank. Otherwise there isn't a lot of first-person horror. If you haven't played Silent Hill you really really should, regardless of your feelings on third person.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Are people still playing Velvet Sundown? Did I miss the boat on that?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jerusalem posted:

Vice City shows improvement but suffers from a very unlikeable protagonist in Tommy Vercetti

Say what? Now, I haven't played GTAV yet but I think Tommy is the most likeable of them all. At least he isn't pretending he's not a crazy gently caress. Also, Ray Liotta is like an amazing choice for a voice actor.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 31, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LLCoolJD posted:

Great game; I played it a lot and beat it. The problem for me is that I couldn't ever get behind the voice actor for CJ. The guy's voice bothered me. For all of the stuff CJ gets up to, I think he needed to sound more like a mover and shaker. The voice actor just sounded way too laid back. He sounded like a guy who'd talk big, but then just smoke dope on his Grove Street porch. Not someone who would go out and get stuff done — someone like Big Smoke. I want to play as Big Smoke. I want to tell CJ all he had to do was follow the drat train.

Maybe the trick is to just get fat. A lot of the dialogue changes when you're fat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone ever play multiplayer on Red Faction: Guerrilla?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kamrat posted:

Seems like Steam will soon be blessed with a pigeon dating simulator:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/31/hatoful-boyfriend-the-pigeon-dating-sim-takes-flight-in-august/

I read about this game years ago, I might check it out because the concept is so weird.

I like the idea of a dating sim game where the goal isn't sex. Or is it?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Endorph posted:

The genre you're looking for is called otome, and there's about seven hundred for the PSP.

Well I googled otome and got about a thousand pictures of anime titties so I don't think you really know what I was going for. I was thinking something more lighthearted like Persona 3/4.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Karthe posted:

Oh, Torchlight is a standard ARPG?

Yes. Other than that, you can categorize RPGS between Western RPGS and Japanese RPGS. Amalur would probably be considered your standard WRPG. In fact, my biggest complaint about it is that it's TOO standard. I can see why you would want to specify third person, but almost no RPGs are in first person.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Dead Island was incredible... for the first 20-30 minutes. Then you realize you've seen the whole game. Both serious efforts to complete the game stop around the time you leave the resort area. Even with co-op buddies it just wasn't fun after a while.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think it's fairly obvious that the people putting up the money for video games don't actually play games themselves.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I tried to enjoy Crysis 2, but it was killed for me by the extreme distance between checkpoints. I had a lot of fun sneaking around and loving people up on the hardest difficulty, doing a lot of experimenting. But the game is also pretty hard unless you play it as a straight-forward shooter leading to a lot of deaths on my part. After replaying the same section and killing the same 10 guys only to get killed by the 11th or 12th guy a bunch of times I just said gently caress it.

What I'm trying to say is every game needs quicksaves. I'll savescum I don't give a gently caress. I fail to see the shame in savescumming.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Sierra was responsible in some way for Half-life I think. I'll always nod my hod in silent approval when I think of that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ya'll remember this right? Perhaps all this Sierra business is the precursor for the long-awaited finale to this trilogy...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Couldn't GMs in Everquest just take over random monsters without any obvious tell? I seem to recall some interesting stories surrounding that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Azran posted:

Holy poo poo Nosgoth is really fun. First match and I already have enough cash to buy some abilities, it seems. Founder Packs are 50% off so there's no better moment to jump in; I'd do so but my ping is 240ms when I play, and while the netcode is still pretty good, it feels weird. :v:

One cool thing: the Soul Reaver games never depicted the Razielim (the clan from which the main character descends), but this game does.

I came here to make almost this exact post. Nosgoth is really really fun, it has like a 2.5gb install and its free this weekend. Try it ya'll.

Add me for casual Nosgothin'. I wont be using voice chat or anything
http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 9, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Yodzilla posted:

Nosgoth sure is a hell of a lot better than I was expecting it to be.

The moment my dude ran up the wall in the tutorial I knew this was going to be something special.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I thought you could choose your side???

A full game is you playing one round of vampires and one round as humans. The TOTAL kills for both rounds are added up at the end of the match to decide the victor. Who you start off as is random. Personally I like it, but I can see how others wouldn't. All four humans play pretty drastically differently, as do all four vampires. I think both are fun, and sometimes it can be fun to get your rear end kicked as a human and then come back full loving force as a vampire and just utterly dominate them. But I've seen matches go both ways.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How to party in Nosgoth:

1) Both players need to be at the screen that appears after hitting PLAY at the top.
2) Each player spams invites until one works
3) If it doesn't work, try restarting your game. Eventually it will work.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I will say this about Obscure 2: it contains a rape. Other than that it's pretty ok!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The Enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are really good, and that pack appears to have the plain ol' regular versions. You'll still be able to mod it, the game is still good, but I don't think I could go back after playing Enhanced. There's tons of little things that I like about it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Deakul posted:

Really? Better than just modding the games into the Baldurs Gate Trilogy and applying a widescreen fix?

Ultimately they are the same game. The new content isn't even the draw, it's mainly the massive amount of bugfixes and quality of life fixes. For instance, you can use the mouse-wheel to zoom in and out, which is actually pretty drat cool. Each character has a different color circle underneath them when they are highlighted. Little poo poo like that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Danith posted:

So how bad does Fallout 3 run on Win 7/8 machines? I only have the original disc version and no DLC and was thinking on getting the game of the year edition on steam but it has a orange warning at the top -
Notice: Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7

It should just say: Fallout 3 is not optimized. The engine is barely held together by wet mud and hope. That said I think your major performance issues can be fixed via mods or something.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Geokinesis posted:

Hey US goon, learn how to use roundabouts properly:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/307740/

Passing a driving test at the DMV is pretty simple. They give you a little booklet to read, which should take approximately 15 minutes to read through. All the questions and answers are in that booklet, and the test is multiple choice.

Also I just noticed this piece of poo poo: The Sandbox. This is a free iOS game. Not only is it currently $9.99, it is discounted from $14.99!

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 12, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Drifter posted:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/theres-a-gabriel-knight-remake-on-the-way/2300-9349/

Gabriel Knight is coming out with a new game. Listen to those HORRIBLE southern accents.

Just LISTEN to them.

Only one person in this video spoke with a southern accent and it sounded fine? I'm more concerned with why this game looks exactly like The Sims.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Drifter posted:

I'm going to blow your mind and tell you that everyone in that video except for the girl at 17 seconds was using a 'southern' accent.

I heard a second guy say "I'm in love" which was kinda southern I guess. Are you saying the main character is using a southern accent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Seventh Arrow posted:

I just played the 'Crystal Dynamics' trilogy of Tomb Raider games (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld). I wasn't crazy about the combat, but I loved the environmental puzzles. Are there any other games that do that sort of thing well?

The 3D Prince of Persia games? Those Tomb Raider games lifted all of the Prince's moves pretty much straight from those games.

• Locked thread