Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Malek posted:

Enter the Dominatrix and Saint's Save Christmas. :colbert:

That's part of the season pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Orv posted:

KV isn't really a game yet. :shrug: Getting there quicker and quicker, but it still needs a bit.

What kind of game is it shaping up to be?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Just made €5 from selling random TF2 poo poo from 2 hours of play.

Steam is the business. Why didn't you gaylords tell me there was free money available from playing a pretty good online shooter?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

spudsbuckley posted:

Steam is the business. Why didn't you gaylords tell me there was free money available from playing a pretty good online shooter?

Wait'll you hear about this thing called Playfire.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

spudsbuckley posted:

How'd you do that? I thought you couldn't sell item drops anymore.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HardDisk posted:

What kind of game is it shaping up to be?

Sort of a poor mans X3, but it may end up being a decent alternative.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

How'd you do that? I thought you couldn't sell item drops anymore.
It's not that you can't sell items it's that you actually have to accept item drops as you get them to get more of them, rather than being able to let the game just idle for eight hours while you're at work and get your weekly drops.

Unless someone found a way around this recently. I haven't looked too much into it since the change but I made a good chunk of cash by idling on alt accounts a couple years ago.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So I signed up for that Playfire thing people seem to like. Are the rewards almost always tied to new releases or do they throw in older games now and then?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I'm kind of shocked that Super Panda Adventures isn't complete bundle garbage. For a game that's been bundled a bunch already and has a regular 4 buck price tag, it's actually kind of good. Controls are solid, levels are big without feeling empty or meandering and there's a good bit of Metroidvania exploration to them. Combat is decent enough too. Boss fights are pretty terrible though; they're of the enemy having tons of life variety and will probably be the reason I don't bother to finish the game.

Still though, if you picked this up a bundle somewhere and like this type of game, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Figured this would be a 15 minute play and uninstall but I've played for a few hours now and other than the hit-sponge bosses, it's much better than what I'd thought it'd be.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 10, 2014

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Sober posted:

That's part of the season pass.

I missed the "and the season pass" part. :suicide:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

iastudent posted:

So I signed up for that Playfire thing people seem to like. Are the rewards almost always tied to new releases or do they throw in older games now and then?

They like to mix in older games that gmg has sales on.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
If you like really old-school RPGs with a user-friendly UI and lovely background art, Lords Of Xulima was just released: http://store.steampowered.com/app/296570/

Currently Early Access (yeah I know) but I think they said it'll be finished around October. It's more bug-testing than anything.

Sidenote: I did the majority of voicework and convinced them to let me sneak in a Macho Man Randy Savage voice:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Nosgoth sure is a hell of a lot better than I was expecting it to be.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Yodzilla posted:

The moment my dude ran up the wall in the tutorial I knew this was going to be something special.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Joe Man posted:

If you like really old-school RPGs with a user-friendly UI and lovely background art, Lords Of Xulima was just released: http://store.steampowered.com/app/296570/

Since you did the voices, how'd the story turn out? I'm not sure I can deal with exposition as conversation poo poo like Amalur.

Hell, Divinity Original Sin has pretty boring writing as a whole.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Drifter posted:

Since you did the voices, how'd the story turn out? I'm not sure I can deal with exposition as conversation poo poo like Amalur.

Hell, Divinity Original Sin has pretty boring writing as a whole.

I can't spoil anything but it's decent. There's several large, multi-tiered main quests that you work on throughout the game (with a large amount of sidequests too) but honestly the main focus is on exploration, dungeons/riddles, and combat mechanics. It's more about playing the game than reading it (if that makes any sense).

EDIT: I should also note that it's hard as balls.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 10, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

The Joe Man posted:

Sidenote: I did the majority of voicework and convinced them to let me sneak in a Macho Man Randy Savage voice:

Sold.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Another Perspective runs to a grand total of 6 MB of hard drive space. I think that beats Inescapable, doesn't it?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

mr. nobody posted:

What I was hoping for would be more that you play as a monster in a PVE MMO. The NPCs would be the 'adventurer parties' and you'd start out having to kill one on one 'adventurers' (NPCs) and by max level the content would be you (and monster friends (player characters)) trying not to die to the raids of adventurers assembled to kill you.

But you'd be the boss(es) with the cool AE abilities and fire breaths and what not!

That's pretty much the premise of Unholy Heights, except it's more of a management sim than a combat RPG.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

The Swapper owns, but she is not sold on the amount of clone-murder. Maybe I can lie and say they are only hardlight holograms or something...

Don't they actually spell that out in-game? Like, first screens early in-game?

RBA Starblade posted:

The Swapper is good but one of the few games where I thought it'd be better as a two hour walking simulator. The puzzles dragged it down for me (they aren't bad, but they do get pretty hard by the end and you need to finish every last one) and I really wanted to just do the exploration and piece together the story.

I found a few of the puzzles just obnoxiously fiddly, but felt the story wasn't much better. I expected something more to do with those tentacle/vines and that spoooooky giant stone head but ended up with what felt like someone trying to digest a lesson from a freshman philosophy course.

The presentation was lovely though, and I thought the aliens were a nice, creepy touch. I'd love to see something else done in the same style.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Justin_Brett posted:

Another Perspective runs to a grand total of 6 MB of hard drive space. I think that beats Inescapable, doesn't it?

There are those Doom shooters or whatever that are, like, 16 KB, right? That's pretty small.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Gave Rise of Incarnates a try and wow, is this really something Bandai Namco is developing? Even by Korean F2P action game standards it plays terribly.

To give people who haven't played it some idea of what I'm talking about you use the same button to jump and dash. Hold to jump, double tap to dash.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 10, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Drifter posted:

There are those Doom shooters or whatever that are, like, 16 KB, right? That's pretty small.

https://mojang.com/notch/j4k/l4kd/

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Yodzilla posted:

Really enjoying it as well, the variety of the vampires is a lot of fun to play around with and surprisingly enough I enjoy playing as humans as well, which I didn't expect, but the freedom of movement of the vampires really makes it interesting. I'm not a big fan of F2P and cash shops but the game has made a good impression on me and I'll get my friends to join in once it's out of beta, hopefully there will be a healthy playerbase - and at least the classes can be unlocked just by playing, otherwise I'd avoid.

Saranya
Aug 10, 2011

Drifter posted:

Wait'll you hear about this thing called Playfire.

Is there an idiots guide to Playfire or something? I can't get the "sign up for the email list" 50c, let alone "play Expendabros for the first time."

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Saranya posted:

Is there an idiots guide to Playfire or something? I can't get the "sign up for the email list" 50c, let alone "play Expendabros for the first time."

It takes forever for the credit to be deposited in your account, so you can probably look forward to cashing in those pennies in a week or two.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Anyone know anything about From The Depth?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268650/

It looks like Robocraft on Crack with some Space Engineers but it's :20bux:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Sivek posted:

I'm kind of shocked that Super Panda Adventures isn't complete bundle garbage. For a game that's been bundled a bunch already and has a regular 4 buck price tag, it's actually kind of good. Controls are solid, levels are big without feeling empty or meandering and there's a good bit of Metroidvania exploration to them. Combat is decent enough too. Boss fights are pretty terrible though; they're of the enemy having tons of life variety and will probably be the reason I don't bother to finish the game.

Still though, if you picked this up a bundle somewhere and like this type of game, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Figured this would be a 15 minute play and uninstall but I've played for a few hours now and other than the hit-sponge bosses, it's much better than what I'd thought it'd be.

This has been my exact experience with the game. I played it yesterday and was having a great time until I hit a wall at a certain boss very close to the end (~85% through). A really badly designed fight. HP is through the roof and no health drops means I'd have to grind for orbs/XP to get past this and I'm not sure I feel like doing that. Shame about the massive difficulty spike; there's no reason for boss fights to be that difficult, I wish developers realized this more often. So often it goes way past 'hard' and straight into 'frustrating'.

But the game was very good up until that point.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

The Joe Man posted:

Currently Early Access (yeah I know) but I think they said it'll be finished around October. It's more bug-testing than anything.

Was tempted before but you sold me on it. Getting $43.XX for a foil also helped. OH YEAH!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So it finally happened: My desktop computer's main hard-drive died last month, and I was procrastinating forever (Mainly because other major Life Things were happening at the time), but I finally have a new hard drive, with Windows installed.

It died in the main sense that Windows was corrupted and wouldn't boot. Going by what some more tech-savvy friends have said, there's some chance most of my more sensitive things are still intact, so I can hopefully pull off everything I need to save with dragging and dropping.

But what of my saved games? I didn't mess with cloud settings but there were some games that I disabled them when the steam client was being dumb about closing them fully. I wasn't smart enough to have the Steam save utility in the OP (I will now), but can it, or any other tool like it, help facilitate my saved games over to the new drive, assuming they aren't already corrupted?

Skyrim might be the only game that I care to retain the install of, so would dragging and dropping be feasible with that? Any other basic things I should know?

Thanks for your help, and sorry if any of my questions were dumb. :unsmith:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, most save games will work with dragging and dropping but you'll have to know where save games for particular games are stored. Many games save them in Documents in various directories named after games/studios, others store them in My Games directory in Documents (this is what Skyrim does), Ubisoft games save the progress in the Uplay directory, some other games store the progress in their respective directories or random places on the hard drive.

You'll basically have to think what games you want to copy the progress for and then google where they store the progress (check the Documents and My Games directories first though), you can then paste those files into the right new directories after you reinstall the games on the new hard drive.

GameSave Manager could do this all for you as it has a backup option even if you haven't used it before but I don't know if that works on a corrupted drive.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 10, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Saranya posted:

YMMV but for me Playfire usually takes around a day to register it and to update my account balance I just clicked the spend button (had to be logged-in at GMG before clicking).

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Does anybody know much about the current state of Kenshi? The dev's site seems to suggest it's still underway, but news coverage has been real sparse in the preceding months, Steam's user reviews are all fairly old (and of questionable value anyway), and I think the SA thread has fallen into archives.

I know the watchword for Early Access is "don't bother unless you'd be interested right now, but I'm having trouble getting a handle on what right now looks like.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ReWinter posted:

Does anybody know much about the current state of Kenshi? The dev's site seems to suggest it's still underway, but news coverage has been real sparse in the preceding months, Steam's user reviews are all fairly old (and of questionable value anyway), and I think the SA thread has fallen into archives.

I know the watchword for Early Access is "don't bother unless you'd be interested right now, but I'm having trouble getting a handle on what right now looks like.

Kenshi is going to be Mad Max Dwarf Fortress. In another year.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ReWinter posted:

don't buy it yet, if ever

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

don't buy it yet, if ever

This. It's a one man project so development is extremely slow.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Since this seems to be the "I hope Risen 3 doesn't suck poo poo" station, a Risen 3 English stream. Gradually coming to think this might end up alright.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 10, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Orv posted:

Since this seems to be the "I hope Risen 3 doesn't suck poo poo" station, a Risen 3 English stream. Gradually coming to think this might end up alright.

At ~5:00 he exclaims OH HE IS NOTTT PLEASED while shooting fireballs at a 'giant crab'.

The crab wasn't really visibly doing anything different than it was before he started hitting it with fireballs, except it was very very slowly moving towards him in a vaguely threatening manner. It died before it moved 10 feet.

Then it proceeded to ragdoll flail around it's penis stalks or whatever while the streamer feigned surprise at the next whatever was happening.

I stopped watching at that point.

edit: I randomly clicked to various points in the stream and every fight I witnessed was "fireball fireball fireball (dodge backwards if npc not dead) fireball fireball fireball loot corpse" except for one part where he was duelling a guy with swordplay and when he got hit a few times he resorted back to fireball tactics. Boring.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 10, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Azran posted:

Holy poo poo Nosgoth is really fun. First match and I already have enough cash to buy some abilities, it seems. Founder Packs are 50% off so there's no better moment to jump in; I'd do so but my ping is 240ms when I play, and while the netcode is still pretty good, it feels weird. :v:

Assuming you're talking about gold, the store pretty much lies to you. The listed price is for renting unlocks for a limited time; permanent unlocks are thousands of gold. I guess on the one hand it lets you try stuff out before committing to it, but on the other hand it just makes me think back to the shittier iterations of Gunbound.

And IME the netcode (or maybe just vampire melee hit detection) is actually pretty iffy at times.

It's still really, really good though. Assuming you don't get stuck with uneven teams. Or people who have no clue what the gently caress they're doing and have no capacity to learn from their mistakes. Not that I'm still mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Trigger warning that poo poo.

But man I loving hate "rental" unlocks in F2P games. Any game that has that just means the permanent ones are overly expensive and that just turns me off. Nosgoth is pretty cool though but vampires are so much better than the humans its not even funny and I don't even mean balance wise.

• Locked thread