Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

mr. nobody posted:

I'm enjoying Strider a lot due to it's metroidvanianess but what I find myself wondering is: am I going to be coming back to these earlier areas naturally later with new abilities (I can see areas I can't reach yet) or is each area gone through in a linear fashion w/ the storyline?

i.e. A->B->C->D->E->yay you win game

or A->B->C->B->D->A->E->win game

not looking for spoilers, but it will change how many nooks and crannys I poke through now vs the next time(s) I'm coming through

It's mainly linear with some side paths for abilities you'll get later in the game. You'll go back to a certain area with new abilities, but the majority of backtracking you have to just decide to do on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Sivek posted:

Do the early 2000's Hitman games stand up well? I've never bothered with the series and don't have much of a problem with playing with clunky 3-D games, just wanna know if the gameplay for them is still solid.

Don't play the first one. The second one is better but still has problems like not being able to run while disguised, and a level that's covered in snipers where you have to try and cross the map. Contracts is pretty good, Blood Money is the best in the series.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

PrinceRandom posted:

Ace Combat, How hardcore is the simulation for a guy who just wants to fly around and shoot stuff?

Ace combat has always been more of a arcade game than a sim. So you'll be fine, except for those awful turret segments that go on for to long.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Gorilla Radio posted:

So the griefing thread has been talking about Star Citizen, and now I'm in the mood for a first-person/cockpit view "explore the universe" spaceship sim. Is there anything better than X3? Did Rebirth ever come around, because the trailer looked really good but it got terrible reviews?

I enjoyed my time with Evochron mercenary. It doesn't have a whole lot to it besides running trades between planets and combat, but it was fun to fly down through a planets atmosphere with my tractor beam on to gather water for a nearby station. You can download the demo here and see if you like it http://www.moddb.com/games/evochron-mercenary/downloads/evochron-mercenary-2848 .

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
So Tex Murphy Tesla effect is on sale for half off. Anyone know if it's worth it?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

Dawn of War 2 has shuffled off of GFWL to Steamworks, although LAN play, Referee Mode and pausing during multiplayer were apparently sacrificed in the transition.
Also your previous saved games are not compatible, unless someone figures out a solution like they did with the Arkham games.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

Also, :eyepop: 25 gigs
The majority of that is going to be high res video files. I think the actual game itself is around 2-4GB.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

Do Valkyries get stronger when they die or something, or is it just a joke character class?

All characters get some bonus if they die enough. But they're pretty good when you're playing a wizard and they block monsters so you can take out the spawners quickly.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

Nuuvem is a legitimate business but some steam codes are region locked. please check if they are region locked before buying.
I just bought Mordor and it activated fine in the US.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm fine with it, Valve needs a kick in the rear end from time to time. I was really disappointed that they didn't at least announce L4D3 or something this year. I haven't seen much of SteamOS or SteamBox crap lately either. Not sure what the hell is going on over there.

Alienware is actually putting the first steambox out this month in the US http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha/pd . I'm not sure what's going on with Valves steam controller though.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Is it really a steambox when it comes with Win8 and an xbox pad?

To be honest I was assuming it was using SteamOS, because I didn't see the one sentence buried in the middle that says "windows 8.1". So I guess if you want something close to a steambox you can get that one

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
So whoever guessed that the dev who threatened Gabe Newell would end up back at his job, congratulations http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dev-who-threatened-to-kill-gabe-newell-gets-his-jo/1100-6423625/ . I thought he would have taken at least a few more months though.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

Is this not one though? This sale is confusing me with the layout.

If it's one of the tiles on the main page it's a daily deal. You can also go to the store page for the game and it will tell you whether it's a daily deal or just part of the autumn sale by the add to cart button.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

a word of warning, if you have a bad case of arachnophobia you might be unable to beat the game.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

Yeah it looks like the whole Disney catalogue is on sale, weird that they didn't join the autumn sale:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=disney

Actually even the newest Disney game is on sale together with their catalogue packs so this might be a pricing error?

Anyone know if Epic Mickey 2 would be good for someone who loves Mickey but is bad at games?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

No, because it is not a very good game.

Guess I'll just load up castle of illusion for her then.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Tezzeract posted:

I'd be super down to join at some point.

I've beaten a few of the missions with a duo group - some of the stun lasers/taser goons and liquid armor heavies make life a living hell.

There are some youtube hotshots that can down levels solo. I have no clue how they do it.
I should look some of those up and see if they get past any with enemy agents. Even with four people I've had trouble with those guys.

RBX posted:

Added you.

Same, I still have a few missions I need to go through just so I can unlock the last few tech, but no one seems to want to play them.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Huh. Looks like Steam is region locking everything. I was checking Nuuvemn's page for region info, did a google search and found this.

So I just did a test run with buying revengeance as a gift in Steam (I already own it), and I got this notice:

No idea how that would affect Nuuvem sales (I'm in Argentina, so I'm probably good).

I decided to take the risk for MGS and try it. According to steam it was added successfully and I live in the US.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

(Also is there really no SP DLC?)
All the DLC is Multiplayer only.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

lordfrikk posted:

http://www.funstockdigital.co.uk/hot-deals/discount-hitman-assassins-creed-steam-keys

There's a bunch of Assassin's Creed and Hitman games on sale. I'm wondering though, as someone who doesn't own any AC on PC, is there some sort of collection where all or at least most of the games (excluding Unity and Rogue) can be had for fair money? I'm kind of wary because as Murphy's Law dictates, some kind of collection will be made available right after I buy them piecemeal.

e: according to the e-mail there's a coupon active, #FUNISHOT (looks to be additional 15% off)

e2:

I guess they released a Heritage collection with all the games before black flag came out. But it looks like it was on a disc only and not available for digital purchase.

It looks like Colonial Marines and the newest AvP are back on steam.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Radeon HD 4850 1GB is the card, so yeah an older one apparently. But it runs any other game in my steam list well (current ones included)

For some reason this game specifically throws up an error about my card not supporting direct X 11 and won't start.

Drivers are up to date but I'm pretty sure my card stopped being supported a while ago. Just sad that I've finally hit the game that is going to cause me to throw the towel in on this PC and build a new one. It was time anyway I suppose.

I know it's from a few pages back, but the 4850 only goes up to DirectX 10, Mordor won't run unless you have a DirectX 11 card. I think Alien Isolation is the same if you wanted to play that. So if you want to run modern games you should look into at least a DX11 compatible card.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Rookersh posted:

Mass Effect 2? I have no idea how the hell to get this loving DLC into my loving game, and have been working on this overnight with no success.

Last time I played Mass Effect 2, I had to go to their social site, dig through everything to find my files then just downloaded and it installed itself directly to my steam version. I'm not sure if they broke something if your trying to install it to your steam version.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
I'm enjoying sniper elite 3 a lot more than 2. The maps are bigger and more open and I haven't gotten stuck in a firefight in small cramped corridors yet. Although that may change because now I'm supposed to infiltrate a bunker network. And the co-op multiplayer scene seems to be dead so you will need a buddy if you want to play the campaign that way. While it may not be worth $130 I'd say it's at least $100.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

bonds0097 posted:

3 is an improved version of 2 in terms of level design and stealth mechanics and is definitely the best choice.

I found 2 to have the problem of it wanting a lot of close quarters fighting. 3 doesn't have that and is the better game because of it. And for some reason dead soldiers seem to bug out for me pretty often which is amusing.

Not pictured: The body that went cartwheeling across the sky after I shot a explosive.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

BobTheJanitor posted:

:aaa:

Well that explains some things. I wish the game could have told me that somehow. You don't usually expect what is essentially part of your UI to alert the enemy.

Shortly after getting the motion detector and you need to sneak past the room with all the windows. A tip pops up that says enemies can hear the pinging sound. Maybe you missed it somehow but the game did alert you at least once.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

What happens if you select the first option and check 'Deauthorize all other computers now'? Does it just hang? Sorry if you've already posted about trying this, I might have read over it.
If I had to take a guess, it will deauthorize any other device you had authorised except the one you are currently using steam from. I've never done it though so I don't know for sure.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

ImPureAwesome posted:

Obviously, he's helping troubleshoot the other guy

I guess that will teach me about responding without reading the previous page.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Daily deal is Transformers:Rise of the dark spark. Anyone know if it's as good as fall and war for Cybertron? Also the previous two games are 50% off for the daily.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's a movie tie-in that has nothing to do with the Cybertron games. I think it's an Activision budget title.

Orv posted:

No es bueno. Basically everything that makes the last two Transformers games good (a feat I still struggle to comprehend) is blatantly ignored.

Thanks for saving me $25 guys. And like I said the two good ones are on sale as well if anyone is interested in those http://store.steampowered.com/app/213120/ http://store.steampowered.com/app/42650/ .

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

DS4, Xbone, or 360 controller

The Wii U pro is also a nice controller. The only problem is you need one of these to get it to work. But I prefer it to my 360 when I play a game that needs to use the D pad. The battery also lasts for around 80 hours.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

sauer kraut posted:

Why does Civ 4 show up as 3 separate games, do you need to install all of them or can you move vanilla and Warlords to the trash category?
It was before a lot of stuff got steam integration so now you have, base, expansion and beyond the sword. Just install beyond the sword and ignore the other two.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Kibayasu posted:

Not completely unsurprising at this point in history though I would also guess that, if true, this would apply to North America only because the box PC market in the rest of the world is still too big to ignore.

Squares been doing this since sleeping dogs came out. The last disc based pc game in North America I remember them releasing was FF14, and maybe hitman.

Sonel fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 25, 2015

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

I bought both the DoW and DoW2 packs and it shows up as a bunch of individual titles and I have no idea if I need to install them all or what. I hate when games do that. :argh:

Chaos Rising should install both DoW2 and Chaos Rising at the same time. Retribution was stand alone so you need to install that separately. You also get access to the last stand alone in Retribution. The old DoW game are all separate titles that you will need to individually install and launch.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Can't even request a charge back from your credit card company because the money was taken from your steam wallet and the actual act of adding funds to your steam wallet via credit card was not the issue.
Even though this wasn't the problem, never do a charge back unless you want to lose access to your steam account.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

What happened before?

Also why are people defending Gears of War of all things

The day the game was released the banner still said early access. The dev had a meltdown because the banner was incorrect and made a death threat against Gabe Newell and then the game got pulled from steam.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

Trying to grab it. Says $4.99 on the front page, but $19.99 in my shopping cart :(

It looks like it just got fixed.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Shadow of Mordor GOTY is currently 66% at $16.99 http://store.steampowered.com/app/241930/ .

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Sniper Elite 3 is currently :10bux: and I highly recommend it if you want to shoot Nazi's in the groin from far away. http://store.steampowered.com/app/238090/ . It also solved the problem V2 had where you fought in small hallways a lot of the time.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah it's not so bad once you know that.

The nasty one is the bridge

I didn't find that one so hard Just go up during the day and unlock the safehouse. Then sleep, walk out and grab the lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Stan Taylor posted:

What are the odds the new MvC game comes to PC? Since SFV was PC/PS4 I'm keeping my hopes up. :ohdear:

Mostly though I want to play some Soul Calibur.

The trailer for 4 from the last page had the PS4, Xbox one and Steam logos on it at the end.

• Locked thread