Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
It's worth noting that the Dead Island developers apologized over this issue It's inexcusable but it's probably the only apology that comes off as sincere in the gaming world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Kinda on the fence about purchasing Life is Strange. Do the rest of the chapters seem poised to be more supernaturally or more high school drama?

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I’ve found Ori to be enjoyable, succeeding in unexpected areas but also a bit dry mechanically.

I am only two hours in and Ori seemingly lacks an interconnected feel a la Super Metroid but rather is more of a vague connect the dots type like Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. I find most Metroidvanias of this type to be a jumbled mess of drab platforming nonsense vaguely connected by power-ups. Ori succeeds with a keen grasp of gameplay fundamentals, making simple changes to make rote platforming tasks engaging. Turret sections will throw an offspeed pitch, objects pushed uphill will slowly slink backwards as you dodge. The game has good gameplay sense and I look forward to see what else they change up.

Attempts to innovate on combat aren't quite as successful. Your main weapon is a guided shock wave and after a few upgrades you can shoot out several shocks at a time. Most enemies are a riff off Panser from SMB2, shooting spores at all angles hoping to tag you. You shoot blue dots, enemies shoot multiple colored dots and the collectibles are multicolored dots, it can be very hard to tell what hit you with motion blur added in. Combat quickly becomes tired and dry. Enemies are high health punching bags and you get just close enough to where you can hurt them and they can’t hurt you. Spam x dodge, repeat .

Gameplay flow can be stop and go. I've often jumped in thorns I didn't see or get bumped by an enemy in the shadows. The game loves to tempt you with paths that you soon find out should be done later. Add in a bit of trial and error gameplay and the innovative manual save aspect becomes more tedious than engaging. There’s less of a conquering feel and I often would die several times in an area and stubbornly refuse to create a new save point as the gameplay simply wasn't rewarding enough to save scum.

It’s definitely a solid game and I am focusing on the negatives but I would save my money at this point until a sale.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Is it worth it to buy Dark Void and Dark Void Zero? The majority of the Steam reviews state that both games are unplayable because of SecuRom.

Dark Void Zero has some cool level design but ultimately becomes built on railroading the player into death traps with force fields that remove your weapons. Then players are forced to collect the same weapons to progress to the same exact death trap. Hope you like respawning enemies.

If you do purchase it you will need a mic to pass the title screen.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Not a Hero is sidescrolling cover shooter with a pixel aesthetic. The cover mechanic are really fun. You press A to roll to the next available cover or use the stick in combination to pick cover that's slightly ahead or to roll into enemies to stun them. The game is built to speed through so enemies will reveal themselves and regenerative health allows the player to escape from all but the worst firefights.There are a few different types of foes, a number of unlockable characters and a few power ups (that seem to be more of a nuclear option) to shake things up a bit. The game is a bit shallow but the cover mechanic really finds it's groove.

Controls are a bit of a pain. It's hard to stop where you want and it's best to leave some space when rolling lest you be caught in the open. Positioning can be finicky as well. Rolling out of windows to ledges beneath often feels outright broken leaving the player unable to turn back towards the ledge.

The game built around the cover mechanic is sadly tedious and needlessly difficult, reducing the game to a MappyLand like affair.Adding objectives like "beat this level in x amount of seconds while shooting as little as possible while collecting 6 McGuffins" makes every level a chore. Character choice becomes limited purely by speed and player freedom falls victim to meticulous planing. Even following the developers planned routes are difficult. It's all to easy to blow a door open and kill a hostage by mistake when trying to perform a melee kill. Then it's dry rinse repeat on the next level.The objectives are optional but the game feels rather toothless when not completing them.

Music is solid but not up to either OlliOlli 1 or 2. It's a funny game at times but dialogue can't be forwarded only skipped so I've missed most of the text.

Wait for a sale at this point. It's fun but entirely frustrating.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Whats the title of the multiplayer isometric shooter featured in the controller promo?

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
It was discussed a while back that adult swim has helped to greenlight several solid titles. Avoid Zenzizenzic, it's pushed as a twin stick bullet hell shoot 'em up and open world roguelike. It's just a dull broken shooter unworthy of praise. It's the creators first ever game and it looks like somebody pulled some strings for him to link him up with AS..

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I'll also vouch for Mighty Switch Force at a sale price with the caveat that the later levels are sprawling switch heavy twitch fests that don't mesh well with the time trial gameplay.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I am at the end of Environmental Station Alpha. Fantastic game, probably GOTY. Can someone give me a hint on how to enter the upper right area of the temple? I can see a switch in one area but I can't reach it.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Traverser would be a fantastic game if the gameplay wasn't focused on it's crappy physic mechanics. Art style and world building are particularly amazing until you get stuck wandering around for ages as the game makes no effort to direct the player beyond "go here".

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm trying to do all the bonus objectives in Not A Hero, and in the eleventh stage it seems finishing it in 140 seconds and killing everyone is impossible even with Mike, the fastest character, since there are always one or two stragglers I simply don't have time to deal with. Anyone here play it?

I played through 8 getting all objectives and quit as it got too tedious. I just tried 11 and got close when I tried it with Mike but I found the 10 kills in 20 seconds objective difficult. I'll keep trying as it just seems it's just a matter of finding when the game respawns enemies and killing them ASAP.

Where is the phone in 10?

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone got the lowdown on Not A Hero? I was kind of mystified as to what kind of game it was from the preview material.

It's a sidescrolling cover shooter built on Mappyland DNA. You press A to roll into the next piece of cover or into the enemies themselves to knock them over. Your foes can pop in and out of cover as well and with rejuvenating health it's much more of a speed game. You unlock a bunch of new characters and abilities and there are enough special weapons to keep you busy. Mechanically it's really fun but not completely sound as glitches are common, especially when rolling out of windows.

Sadly the fun gets ruined by "optional" objectives which completely strain the game. Get to this nonsensical point on the map in painfully little time but only after collecting two robots. Save 6 hostages as the game spawns umpteen new enemies out of the blue. Turns the game from a fun rhythm shooter into a tedious dot to dot.

The game tries really hard to be funny but you'll be hammering the skip button.

It's worth the sale price but I clench up when playing and it's hard to enjoy it.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm trying to do all the bonus objectives in Not A Hero, and in the eleventh stage it seems finishing it in 140 seconds and killing everyone is impossible even with Mike, the fastest character, since there are always one or two stragglers I simply don't have time to deal with. Anyone here play it?

Just beat it with around seven seconds to spare without using the sub weapons. I had more trouble beating the level than the time limit itself . It could be that you just need to play more aggressively. Skill isn't an issue as you are trying to perfect the game and the previous levels are very hard. Mike's shotgun is ideal for this level but I think his speed can be ignored by sliding if you like another gun better.

In general I slid everywhere and melee killed enemies unless it was advantageous to use the gun. You aren't hurt when the enemies blow up the wall and the doors work as great choke-points when chased.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

I finally did it with Jesus. I'm pretty sure my problem was the reinforcement guys kept messing up and getting stuck on lower floors somehow.

Not surprised, the missions where you destroy drugs are glitch ridden as well. I can't use Jesus as he makes my game hang.

I wish the game had simultaneously released on the Vita like Olli Olli. These try a million times titles work better on portables.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Wyv And Keep is worth a look with the proviso that you will fall into unwinnable states by accident around 85% of the time.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

Oh, hey, this fall in the second to last level of Not A Hero can randomly kill me when it shouldn't, that's nice.

I uninstalled after doing everything but the final level. A long and tedious level that has no notion of player skill.

I'm surprised you know who wasn't the final unlockable character.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

bengy81 posted:

So I'm trying to play through Sleeping Dogs and I'm having some control issues. I've been using an Xbox controller and I am having issues with locking on to dudes in fights. How do I change my focus? It's getting frustrating that I can't counter or attack the dudes I want to attack.

I think the lock on button is Y but it's much more about abusing the broken counter system.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Unrelated to any of that, moonstrider looks like it could be neat

http://store.steampowered.com/app/398250/

blah blah roguelike early access blah blah

I think it looks nice. Dunno how far they are from finishing it, but I like the idea of moving from planet to planet trying to survive. I dunno how it plays though so if anybody picks it up, feel free to post a trip report.

I bought this. It's not a home run but it's definitely a solid game. That being said the in game economy is broken so I am going to hold off on further impressions. In general think of a shallow early access risk of rain on planetoids

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Don't waste money on Zenzizenzic.It's the developers first title and it's absolutely abysmal. Zenzizenzic plays and acts like an early access title.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Has anyone here tried the Mega Man Legacy Collection? I was reading about the collection before it came out, and it sounded like they had worked pretty hard to port the game over, and that it wasn't just the games presented via an emulator. However, I heard it ended up having some issues with input lag and poor audio. One major thing I heard is that it mimics the slowdown effects as they would appear in the original game, but there's no way to disable it.

I was somewhat disappointed in the challenge levels. Mega Man is fully equipped in every challenge so gameplay is reduced to how fast you can get the Rush Jet or Magnet Beam out. It's cool for speedrunners who take advantage of glitches but it saps the fun out of it for those looking for a normal challenge.

If you are looking for :goonsay: on port quality the GAF thread is full of it

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Is Skyshine's BEDLAM as bad as the reviews say?

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

This is miserable to play. Textbook on how not to make a platformer. Awkward controls( that fail regularly) , animations that unexpectedly kill you and primitive level design combine to make a game that rivals Beethoven's 2nd. Not to mention the needlessly sad story in a game about cartoon cats.

Only play if cat puns can carry your experience.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Occultatio posted:

Has anybody here played Finding Teddy II?

It's a really loving gorgeous-looking exploration-heavy metroidvania, with like a secret language/music system the player has to actually, themselves decode, and also seriously every single screenshot and the game in motion looks incredible. It's also currently the cheapest it's ever been ($3.75) at WinGameStore, and I'm really tempted, but I don't think I've ever seen anybody in this thread discuss it.

I've been wanting to get it but the price and the bad cover art have pushed me off. I'll try it at this price.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

mike12345 posted:

That brazilian musical game sounds interesting. I'm curious about how dynamic that dynamic music really is, like, does someone sing "you punched the dragon" every time I punch the dragon.

I am considering it but the jump looks absolutely awkward . The reviews look worked and the screenshots make it look like there are only three areas.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Trial by Viking looks cool but is slippery as hell and lacks platforming sense. Try the demo first.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I would skip Stories: The Path of Destinies for now.

The branching story is executed surprisingly well. It’s never able to avoid the obvious pitfalls of its format, but it’s the highlight of the package.

Combat is Arkham Asylum based but is executed poorly and quickly becomes tedious as the difficulty ramps up.The inability to move the camera and occasional small platform size only exacerbates the issue.

Everything else feels bolted on or half baked. Mammoth unbalanced progression and crafting systems that lead nowhere and serve only to justify playing the game through for the required five times.

Despite attempts to disguise it , the game is painfully linear. Progress gates locked in first playthoughs only lead to treasure chests and you are quickly thrown back to the one path to face another battle.

Wait for a sale. The game is short and can be finished in under 4.5 hours. I was willing to overlook the glitches and gameplay issues but the repeated playthoughs do the game no favors.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Pollen is the new poster boy for Steam's broken review policy. 160 of 184 people have downvoted a negative review written in German.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Palpek posted:

So how is Stories: The Path of Destinies? The reviews are very positive and the game looks really nice visually.

I wrote the negative review that starts "I would skip Stories: The Path of Destinies for now.". I stand by it for now. It's not awful but i wouldn't buy it for more than 8 bucks,

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight isn't bad @ 8 bucks but the level design and enemy placement can be contrived and tedious. Every screen is gamed against the player.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Maggot Soup posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/386080/

If anyone has played Pharaonic here, can you recommend it? Graphics and setting look nice. The videos make it seem like it might get too repetitive? Made by the Ziggurat team, which is still in my backlog.

Kinda of mixed for me right now at around an hour of playtime. There's definitely some gold there but there's a lot of jank to blunt its sheen. It's basically dark souls brute forced into an Egyptian 2.5D side scroller. The combat system plays like an awkward dance that the player should instantly grasp. Instead it's a slog of long windups and exaggerated dodges exacerbated by huge health bars and limited stamina. It seemed smarter to exploit the AI than to prod and learn the system.The game hung a majority of the time I killed an enemy as well. There's a skill up system but it's seemingly little more than gating armor progression and you have to level them all up equally. Traps can be hard to see/pass and there were a number of screen transitions that had me guessing who my character was.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

BexGu posted:

Is The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human any good? It's on sale right now and while I heard there where some issue when it came out with the controls the Steam reviews seem to be pretty positive. .

I'll second what RickVoid said. If you can't be carried by art direction then don't buy this game. Boss battles are miserable broken slogs and the game knows it and gives you regenerating health from the start as the only option is to game the AI and pray.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Try the demo, it killed any interest I had.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. The Forest and Hurtworld are the 3./4. open world early access survival thing now?
Never heard of the other stuff, this is probably gonna die soon.
Shame in a way, it was nice seeing steamgifts being flooded with semi-decent stuff every month.

Dungeon of the Endless is a great game and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is good as well. I haven't put much time in Steredenn but it's certainly playable.

Feel free to throw stones at Hurtworld but the recent monthly bundles have been worth 11 bucks.

I would use the 10% discount on the store more often but the Steam refund is a necessary parachute.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I bought it but it's 15 GB and my internet is real slow.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Does anybody know if Trials of the Blood Dragon is any good? It released two days ago, and it seems to be a combination of trial bike games and far cry: blood dragon.
It looks kinda awesome.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/435480/

It's a fun game but the bike gameplay is the only thing that holds up. The new additions never get off the ground and are showcases for wonky physics. The side scrolling sections feel like Thomas was Alone with crappy cover shooting and are loaded with cheap deaths. Gunplay works well on the bike and the extra effort to aim with the right stick while balancing with the left is where the game shines. It's extremely difficult to aim the grappling hook as it shoots out as soon as it's close enough. The game features a number of excess vehicles that simply don't control as well as the bike. It's a short game too at 27 levels and most of it is schlock

The game is painfully unfunny to the point of being tactless. Which is a bit of a shame as there are a few cool level concepts.

If the idea of the mashup excites you don't feel dissuaded but I'll probably refund it.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

RVWinkle posted:

Has anybody tried Anarcute yet? It just came out and looks kinda like Wonderful 101.

It's a great game so far but it does seem a bit shallow and a tad short.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/anarcute-review/ gives a fair review.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

Game Freak made a metroidvania where you use a giant ball of debris to kill stuff. Looks neat, anybody try it yet?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/454410/

Pocket Card Jockey may be an exception but I'll wait for a sale after HarmoKnight and Tembo. Both titles couldn't carry any sense of level design after the first few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Snuffman posted:

Pyre is positively delightful.

I was initially put off by reviews that said "ITS A SPORTS GAME". I mean, it is and it isn't. The game eases you into the main mechanics quite nicely and a practice mode eventually gets unlocked (this was an initial worry of mine, that there wasn't a practice mode). Its more of a Fantasy-sports-RPG. You characters level up, you get skills but you're playing a 3v3 fantasy football game.

Shame about the lack of online multiplayer. Its a wee bit too cryptic to split screen with someone not familiar with the game.

Definitely play with a controller. The KB+M controls...they're not good. Controller feels quite natural. Supergiant is definitely a console-game maker when it comes to controls.

I'm not too far in, but I'd certainly recommend it to people that enjoyed Bastion and Transistor. Gotta give Supergiant credit, each of their games are quite unique.

I'm not that hot on it. I've been enjoying the world building , characters and music but the core gameplay loop is lacking.Constantly wading through inconsequential decisions as your wagon slowly wheels through the countryside grows tedious.

The actual sport feels like a lame version of NBA Jam. While not without intrigue it pales in comparison to their previous titles. It can be tough to see your character and the arena boundaries are often unclear. The sport is really dependent on juking defenders, which is an odd match given that the game is single player focused.

I probably won't return it but I wish I had waited till it's half off.

• Locked thread