Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When i was 10 I thought Bushido Blade was the coolest thing because right when you think you understand the controls and AI opponents, the story mode gets to the point where it puts you on the roof with a guy with a gun and he shoots you 1 second into the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Towerfall ascension is local-only, right?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ya

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

QuarkJets posted:

A big mostly empty map full of the same enemies that are in every fallout game, a bland or nonsensical story, and countless other design choices could have an impact

You can have the prettiest environments and the best gunplay in the world and still make a bad game

I would call Fallout 3 a lot of things but mostly empty wouldn't be it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Underwhelmed posted:

Well see, they took Castlevania and injected it with a bunch of slightly damaged GOW DNA and bam, they get a pretty good game out of the deal. So why not take a bunch of fermented MGS:Revengence DNA and stick it in there too? I mean MGSR was cool because it was wacky and over the top right?

Castlevania 3 will take the topical humor of Borderlands and inject it into the mix.
Nah, that's not the direction Konami is taking Castlevania in at all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uk83ceNRo8

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

Bushido Blade is a neat concept that would work if merged with some other kind of gameplay beyond a pretty basic fighting game. Like if Way of the Samurai had Bushido Blade combat so you get these brutal and fast Akira Kurosawa battles in a completely non-linear narrative driven game.

Sadly, you'd have to make it happen to the player, too, and by then you're deep into Robinson's Requiem territory.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Nah, that's not the direction Konami is taking Castlevania in at all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uk83ceNRo8

:catstare:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I hope Hard mode is actually hard.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Man, the submarine level of the new Wolfenstein in the command room is pretty hard. Lots of dudes keep killing me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Drifter posted:

Man, the submarine level of the new Wolfenstein in the command room is pretty hard. Lots of dudes keep killing me.

Yeah, TNO has some brutal sections on higher difficulties. Go up onto the catwalks.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

al-azad posted:

Bushido Blade is a neat concept that would work if merged with some other kind of gameplay beyond a pretty basic fighting game. Like if Way of the Samurai had Bushido Blade combat so you get these brutal and fast Akira Kurosawa battles in a completely non-linear narrative driven game.

They used to have a difficulty where everyone dies in one hit but they removed it from 4 for whatever reason.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh, hey, this fall in the second to last level of Not A Hero can randomly kill me when it shouldn't, that's nice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tippis posted:

Melee combat in almost everything is bad. Except Bushido Blade.

Melee combat in the Dark/Demon Souls series is good, and Bloodborne's melee combat is excellent

computer parts posted:

I would call Fallout 3 a lot of things but mostly empty wouldn't be it.

I wasn't talking about Fallout 3, but now that you mention it, yeah, Fallout 3 was pretty drat empty. I'm not counting random ghouls and empty bombed out houses as content.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I've just finished reading Cursed Sight and I really enjoyed it. Despite the appearances, it's a well-told story, not some weird spin on a dating sim. The author put a lot of effort into the presentation and the story is quite engrossing, too. It's not that long, but I feel it's well worth the asking price. If you see a deal on it down the line, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'll be the judge of that, hidden object game...

But it makes we wonder if there's ever been a pervy anime HOG?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gromit posted:

But it makes we wonder if there's ever been a pervy anime HOG?

The politically correct term is Orc

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

Oh, hey, this fall in the second to last level of Not A Hero can randomly kill me when it shouldn't, that's nice.

I uninstalled after doing everything but the final level. A long and tedious level that has no notion of player skill.

I'm surprised you know who wasn't the final unlockable character.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

The White Dragon posted:

The politically correct term is Orc
Mordorian American, please.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tippis posted:

Melee combat in almost everything is bad. Except Bushido Blade.

If you meant FPS games you'd have a point but there are lotsof third person games with decent melee combat. Souls series for a start, Batman games, witcher 3 is pretty good to etc etc.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I liked the melee combat in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Gromit posted:

pervy anime HOG?

We call him Freak Futanari

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Fallout 4 will stand or fall on how much agency you're given in quests. I'm not expecting New Vegas levels of difference for the main story, but more than Skyrim's do quest/don't do quest for the side content.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Melee combat in Dying Light loving owns.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

Fallout 4 will stand or fall on how much agency you're given in quests. I'm not expecting New Vegas levels of difference for the main story, but more than Skyrim's do quest/don't do quest for the side content.

gently caress sake people. FO3 was boring, NV was boring, Skyrim was boring. FO4 ain't gonna be good.

Play Witcher 3 instead. Or Divinity 2. Or Stalker.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

But I liked Fallout 3, NV, Skyrim and Witcher 3. Can't see why I wouldn't also like Fallout 4.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

But I liked Fallout 3, NV, Skyrim and Witcher 3. Can't see why I wouldn't also like Fallout 4.

Quiet, you.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
NV is my personal favorite game of all time. I'm absolutely going to sink major time into F4, even if it's not revolutionary.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The bottom line is that FO4 doesn't look like it will be different than 3 gameplay-wise. They talk much about changes but then you look at the gamaplay videos and it's the same thing again. Now whether that is a good thing to you as a player is another question - you liked Fallout 3 you'll enjoy Fallout 4, you didn't enjoy it then you won't. New Vegas's strength lied in the stories and quest outcomes and not in the mediocre combat which was all Obsidian's doing, Skyrim came out after that and was Bethesda stories all over again, there isn't any indication that FO4 will bring Obsidian's story quality with it.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Might be old news, but does look like CS:GO and Dota are consistently having over 50% of the user base on Steam. Noticed it other day and seems to be holding true.

E.g. Last stats on Steam Charts are

781,018 for Dota
399,238 for CS:GO

Total players in all Steam games - 2,184,741

i.e Dota & CS:GO players make up over 54% of total people playing a game on Steam at present.

Valve must have a real life money pit by now, given how much they have to be making.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mega Comrade posted:

If you meant FPS games you'd have a point but there are lotsof third person games with decent melee combat. Souls series for a start, Batman games, witcher 3 is pretty good to etc etc.

Batman is ok — there's some weight and interaction to it — but I'm not so sure about the other two. The Souls series is to reliant on canned combo animations so it just ends up being people waving sticks around, and Witcher 3 is far too concerned about looking stylish to really resemble anything remotely related to a melee. They work as systems (probably exactly because of those reasons), but just once I'd like to see swords and shields and spears behave like swords and shields and spears. It would most likely be pretty awful to play, though… :v:

I suppose I'll blame Hollywood — that always works.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Palpek posted:

The bottom line is that FO4 doesn't look like it will be different than 3 gameplay-wise. They talk much about changes but then you look at the gamaplay videos and it's the same thing again. Now whether that is a good thing to you as a player is another question - you liked Fallout 3 you'll enjoy Fallout 4, you didn't enjoy it then you won't. New Vegas's strength lied in the stories and quest outcomes and not in the mediocre combat which was all Obsidian's doing, Skyrim came out after that and was Bethesda stories all over again, there isn't any indication that FO4 will bring Obsidian's story quality with it.

Yeah, I really need my character to have a sense of purpose of some kind in an open world game. Dicking around can be fun depending on how much stuff they shove in to do or what "off-script" shenanigans the AI can get up to, but that'll only take you so far. I have over 80 hours logged into Skyrim and a very small amount of that was spent actually doing the main story. I think I made it to like 1/6th of the way through? But there were a ton of those Radiant quests that had me going to every little cave and grotto and Dwemer city, so that kept me occupied, and the world was interesting enough to keep me engaged.

But at no point did I ever feel like I was doing any of that for a reason. In New Vegas I actually had a purpose for everything I did. I'd get to know a character, decide if I liked them enough to do an errand for them (generally the answer was yes), and then go and help them. A lot of the quests were tied into the main conflict, so you could gently caress up the Legion and help the NCR, or you could decide that you'd rather be evil and start wrecking NCR encampments (not quest-related but still). Helping the Kings and Followers at Freeside felt like you were doing something important for the people. In Skyrim it was always "go to <PLACE> and kill the <TARGET NPC> who is threatening <TOWN>", occasionally it'd be a single bear that got into one family's house or whatever. But I didn't give a poo poo about anybody in Skyrim, they were interchangeable and it was like playing with action figures in a giant fantasy playset.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Palpek posted:

I looked at the power armor gameplay videos and they looked pretty different.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'll judge FO4 when it's actually out and people have played it, I know better than to trust any pre-release information of any kind when it comes to Bethesda games.

Ultimately our opinions are pretty irrelevant anyway as it'll sell millions and get 10/10 reviews regardless.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Windows 10 won’t run games with SecuROM DRM

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Good on MS for treating that poo poo like the malware it is.
No one cares that you can't play <old physical game> anymore.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Tippis posted:

Batman is ok — there's some weight and interaction to it — but I'm not so sure about the other two. The Souls series is to reliant on canned combo animations so it just ends up being people waving sticks around, and Witcher 3 is far too concerned about looking stylish to really resemble anything remotely related to a melee. They work as systems (probably exactly because of those reasons), but just once I'd like to see swords and shields and spears behave like swords and shields and spears. It would most likely be pretty awful to play, though… :v:

I suppose I'll blame Hollywood — that always works.

Anything made by Platinum Games has quality melee combat. It's a shame that we only have Korra and MGR (which is great), to play with.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

sauer kraut posted:

Good on MS for treating that poo poo like the malware it is.
No one cares that you can't play <old physical game> anymore.

If it's No One Lives Forever/2 then yeah I care a lot. Apart from that thing where I can just circumvent it by using a NO CD crack like I'd be doing regardless.

Okay maybe I don't care at all.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Joe Gillian posted:

Anything made by Platinum Games has quality melee combat. It's a shame that we only have Korra and MGR (which is great), to play with.

And Transformers: Devastation, next month.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

If it's No One Lives Forever/2 then yeah I care a lot. Apart from that thing where I can just circumvent it by using a NO CD crack like I'd be doing regardless.
"Good games stuck in legal Hell" is a category of its own, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Centipeed posted:

And Transformers: Devastation, next month.

It got pushed to October 6th. I don't mind, because I'll still probably be addicted to MGS V by then.

• Locked thread