Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Might wanna add the info on gifters, I believe it was still up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Finally got around to playing and finishing Assassin's Creed Revelations after postponing it for the longest time (managed to finish all the other AssCreeds in the meantime) and except the den defense (ie. simplistic tower defense controlled from a weird third person angle), which took only about 15 minutes out of about 30 hours, it was really good.

I totally forgot about the metaplot but it was probably the most bearable of all its instances. The few tombs you get to explore really reminded me how much I missed climbing and exploring big fuckoff cathedrals in Black Flag and III despite BF being such a good game for entirely different reasons.

Still can't get over Desmond's potato face, though, why do they keep changing his face every single game :psyduck:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Commissar Budgie posted:

IF you don't mind me asking, how does it stack up the original Prototype? I had a lot of fun with that game and the crazy abilites that it had.

It's much better than the first game and the main protagonist (an antagonist, really) is a macho rear end in a top hat in the best way possible, loved the game. And I didn't even know there was some DLC that wasn't released for PC, kinda want to play it again now.

e: context

Quest For Glory II posted:

Stick of Truth - $39.99

Which reminds me of that one sequence at the end of the game, did anyone else feel mildly nauseous when playing it, too? Some of the things you... stumbled across in there were a bit :cry:.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 18, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Always happy to see that majoring in Japanese was the best choice. If only the studying was as bonkers.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I might be wrong but isn't that because they distribute it themselves in those countries? Or maybe not themselves, but definitely not via Steam.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Nobody mentioned the recent South Park: The Stick of Truth game by Obsidian during the bug discussion! Not sure what the general response was but I'm happy to report no bugs were encountered when playing this disgusting game! :science:

And yeah, Dungeon Siege 3 is kinda weird in that it has no bugs but it also isn't really that good in terms of world building and writing in general. Not sure how much of it was caused by executive meddling, but it's a shame. At least the combat was fairly good with a gamepad.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Yeah, but unlike DA2 you would be missing out on a good game :colbert:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I think some of y'all actually forgot how really loving terrible DA2 is if you hesitate which was better. I can understand not liking certain aspects but it doesn't come even close to the endless copypasta dungeons, lovely enemy wave combat, fucktoy characters and probably some other things I suppressed in my memories already.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMcVZQI6ybw&hd=1

vvv except playing the third part of a trilogy :suicide: what a dumb thing to say...

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 20, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

PostNouveau posted:

This is pretty much the last three seasons of "Dexter," and I watched all that bullshit.

Why must you remind me of the worst thing I've watched in the last few years? :negative: But that's exactly how it is. I even knew beforehand it's going to be terrible but I felt like I wanted to watch it all just so I can reprimand everyone extremely harshly not to even start or end with the fourth or fifth season.

But Dexter¨s last few seasons are truly terrible unlike a certain third part of a trilogy.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Almost as if it makes more sense to rate individual games than divide the company's track record into made up eras.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Terrible pseudo-anime games for everyone :shepspends:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Winter%20Wolves

Shows 13 games for me. Lucky!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I'd totally play some kind no supernatural wilderness survival thing, but only if it was technically well done. By which I mean no clicking tree to get wood, but actually getting to chop that poo poo down with proper physics. Also, skinning animals and cooking. And getting your arm mauled by a bear and then fixing it with shoddy medical skills, I guess. Probably some kind of crossover with those deer hunting games.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I always click the "Spend It" button on the playfire.com page and in 99% cases it updates my balance on the GMG site. Need to be logged-in, natch.

e:

Darkrenown posted:

The Long Dark might interest you, although I am not sure how the actual mechanics of wood-cutting etc. are.

Time to add another survival game that will never be finished on my list :shepicide:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 28, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Drifter posted:

The Goons With Spoons wiki has been going strong for a long time now.

I belive Before I Play and the ADTRW wiki as well, although I've never been an active user on either of those :shrug:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
The point with the new Thief is you could be playing better games instead of wasting your time and money on mediocre and badly designed game.

I didn't want to believe the reviewers and the people who dogpiled on the game because as someone up there said it's mindless and probably ends up doing you more harm. So I bought it. And after about 8 hours I just exited it in disgust and uninstalled it.

The legacy of the franchise is just the last straw because there are some things that are fundamentally lovely and would be lovely in any other game, too, like the small areas resulting in QTE-to-open-window-loading that people including me never fail to mention BECAUSE it's annoying as gently caress and if you enjoy exploration even little you're probably going to tear your hair out the 50th you have to mash keys to open the goddamn window.

I don't usually recommend or discourage people from buying games but Thief is an exception in my book. I mean it's selling for 10 bucks now, that's gotta tell you something. And the worst is people twisting the argument saying the defenders are nostalgic and/or just want to join the hate brigade. Well, maybe the game is just bad and there's not easy way to dismiss the valid arguments just because you like to run around the levels shooting arrows.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Rock of Ages RMVR4-MMMB8-0LIV5

I got my first "You already own this game." message, but that's after 428 games so it's understandable I don't remember all the games I never played :shepicide:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Yodzilla posted:

This might be one of the ugliest games I've ever seen.

Yeah, no kidding. I cringed looking at the video. Especially at that loving scene where the guy with glasses stared me down right through the screen while blinking constantly looking like this: :stare: for at least 15 seconds. Sweet Jesus :lol:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I'll withhold my optimist in this case, they bungled up the last few games and I don't want to watch the vids in case the game turns out good so I can play it spoiler-free but I hope it doesn't suck. I'd really like to play a Gothic-y German RPG.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Sweet, hope it works at least half as well as it sounds.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I've been using the other popular skin, PixelVision, and it always scares me a bit when I log into Steam on my netbook because I never bothered to install it there.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Saranya posted:

Is there an idiots guide to Playfire or something? I can't get the "sign up for the email list" 50c, let alone "play Expendabros for the first time."

YMMV but for me Playfire usually takes around a day to register it and to update my account balance I just clicked the spend button (had to be logged-in at GMG before clicking).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I'm not claustrophobic but holy crap that camera.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Drifter posted:

Only the highest uncompressed audio files in our new videogame generation.

Didn't the new Wolfenstein snag that prize?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Kanfy posted:

As a Finn I legit didn't even realize bandwidth caps were a real thing until a few years ago, although they probably exist somewhere here as well.

It seems like such a dumb system, I can't imagine what a pain in the rear end that would be if you download anything at all with any regularity.

We never had caps where I live but every provider you could sign up with a few years back had bandwidth aggregation (not sure if that's the right term in English - basically a bunch of people shared bandwidth so if everyone went surfing in the evening your everyone's speed slowed to a crawl). Thank God it's in the past and in the little town where I live the Internet is very cheap, especially compared to some bigger cities (like the one where I go to university :negative:).

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 11, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Dominic White posted:

I'm really excited about this. Pathologic was a great game held back by technological limitations and a publisher-outsourced trainwreck of a translation. For a game that relies so heavily on text, that was just awful. Ice-Pick Lodge have got both of those issues worked out. The Void showed that they were capable of producing some gorgeous looking 3D environments, and they did the localization for that in-house, and it worked out great.

I'm so stoked for the remake, hopefully the localization won't be completely incomprehensible like last time, otherwise I will be really mad, Ice-Pick Lodge :argh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
So many bundles :psyduck: I need a piece of advice on some of them.

Are there any other good games in the Groupees bundle (https://groupees.com/babmb) beside 99 Spirits and 100% Orange Juice?

Bundle Stars has some kind of sale on all its previous bundles (?), any of them exceptionally good?

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
^^^ Thanks, guys! ^^^

New bundle:

$1
Orcs Must Die
Orcs Must Die 2
Hero Academy
Echo Prime

BTA (currently $3)

Orcs Must Die DLC
Orcs Must Die 2 DLC

http://www.indieammobox.com/

How do you buy it without paying literally $100? I see no editable box.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Zedd posted:

The Giant "name your price" button takes you to an editable box?

For some reason, Firefox skips that page completely and sets the price to $100 :argh: Works fine in Chrome :shrug: Thanks.

e: still no editable box, just a list of set prices :eng99:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I "played" that. It's supposedly a good representation of how depressed people (with the actual illness, not depressed because you didn't win a lottery) feel like. Can't say either way :shrug:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
One Way Heroics

e: gone

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 12, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Helith posted:

Looking at my backlog I have
Cook, Serve, Delicious
Dishonored
Mirrors Edge
Marlow Briggs
Bioshock Infinite
and a shitload of other stuff which isn't Metal Gear Rising.

I can't decide. I'm going to sleep on it and play more Rising tomorrow.

They're all great games except for Marlow Briggs which is amazing (:smug:) so just roll a dice or something.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

:iceburn:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

I'm assuming Dead Space 2 cuts a lot of that bullshit out and focuses mostly on the set pieces, since people say the franchise goes more-and-more action with each iteration

It's a lot more action-y and cinematic and includes an essential feature – :siren: folding helmets á la Star Gate (the movie) :siren:.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
The outfit is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Orv posted:

They are products of a bygone era without question.

True but honestly they were fairly non-standard even when they came out, especially Gothic's nightmare controls. Playing the first game after all these years was a horrible experience even for some like me who played them to death when they came out. After playing 99% of third-person titles with gamepad going back to keyboard in addition to the atrocious control scheme is almost literally painful.

Probably didn't help that Arcania happened which kind of hammered the point home that after Gothic 3 nope, they can't make them anymore.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
:words: incoming.

So I've started playing Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages after neglecting it for so long. Why hasn't anyone scolded me harshly for not playing it before? :mad: This game is amazing.

I remember reading about it a while back. Looked at screenshots. Meh. Looked at videos. Same reaction. Looks like your average 2D twin-stick shooter except everyone talking about how insane the customization in this one gets. Okay.

The game starts with you escaping a Star Wars-esque tunnel while a wall of flame licks your butt with an AI chip that's implanted in your brain telling you what to do. Eh, that doesn't sound so amazing but compared to most games it's actually interesting to read and well-written. Keep reading.

The story is that you don't remember who you are and your most pressing concern is getting another ship since yours is going to die soon. Then you find a cruiser and take it from those pesky owners. You can imagine that someone somewhere isn't going to be happy about that and so the game continues.

The first missions (a lot of them, actually) serve as a tutorial that introduces you to the basic flight mechanics (which are pleasantly complex) and ship types (standard RPG classes somewhat hilariously transplanted into a fairly interesting space setting). However, you can skip all those and try a shorted tutorial if you don't feel like messing around and want to go play with the big kids. I do not recommend that.

Because once the starting galaxy is behind you, the game opens up (more like explodes with options) and you get to do research, buy new hulls, equipment and so on. Your standard space game fare. But the thing is, there's zingillion things to try and buy and research. Luckily you don't feel that overwhelmed since you hopefully played through the tutorial without having any of the myriad of choices piled upon you but instead being introduced one by one.

Seems like there's a healthy dose of campaign missions to go and the combat itself is really well done unlike a lot of other space shooters. On top of that, you can try multiplayer or some of the mini-games which can net you a fair amount of plex (in-game currency) and it also speeds up research.

I've only played 10 hours but I'm really liking the game so far. I bet a lot of people got it in a bundle like me and never got around to playing so this is me telling you GO PLAY IT.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Now where are the actual good visual novels, Gabe? :argh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Try asking in the forums, I only peeked in there but the dev is really helpful and seemed really professional, maybe you'll even help him resolve that particular issue.

Mokinokaro posted:

Christine Love also has those two really good visual novels on steam.

There's also World End Economica which is supposed to be very good and not creepy.

Yeah, I meant actual Japanese visual novels. Played most of the games that were mentioned. I know you can buy a bunch of them via official distributors but the prices are usually quite steep and my interest is not that high.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
e: double post

• Locked thread