Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The mod one that's locked at the top of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

We're already at about the same tone in this one as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Its a four hour game. Man up and play it through you wimp, it's so loving worth it.

If someone plays that game: buy the dodge move. Defensive Offense or some other stupid name?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Japan, the country Platinum and Konami are based in, cannot purchase Metal Gear Rising, a Konami game developed by Platinum. Well, ok then.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Palladium posted:

Hah, small wonder SCEA/SCEE rightfully told SCEJ to rightfully gently caress off when it comes to the PS4.

Even the piracy argument doesn't fly unless they are telling me Steam sales doesn't work in Japan like the rest of the world do. A million PC copies of Skyrim Legendary Edition not moved there for $20 each is still a respectable $20M.

Does Japan even care about games like Skyrim? Maybe the games that sell big on Steam just don't in Japan.

edit: when you look at the big name Japanese devs on Steam, it's all stuff with a big Western focus.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 19, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Those games are on Playstation and Xbox (for the ten people that own one in the country). Being on PC, the platform Japan is least interested in, probably isn't gonna change anyone's minds. If they aren't interested in the games available on Steam there is no incentive to adopt the platform. Most of those games probably don't even get localized there and I bet the ones that do are as niche as a company like Atlus is here. On Playstation, anyway.

It's not really a matter of whether it can work or not. You can play PC games in Japan, they just... don't.

edit: really, the only way I see PC gaming growing is if Japanese developers start giving a poo poo. They kind of are now in the West, stuff like Dark Souls proved that there is a market for them. I actually can't think of any other game out of Japan that was developed for PC at the same time as console, let alone as the lead platform, than Dark Souls 2. That stuff just doesn't happen. Once they start porting it over for the Western audience they may as well release the PC version at home as well.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 19, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They had a big Autumn sale last year.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pentyne posted:

100% agree. With the mods to fix the bugs and the save issues, it's the best open world CYOA you could ever want. You can play the game through multiple times and never have the same experience.

I don't, it's one of the more overrated games I've seen in recent memory. It is a good game, though. well worth playing. If a little buggy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There's no animosity. The games that people talk about having bugs do, in fact, have bugs. New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, or whatever else all reviewed really well and people really like them. Honestly I think it's the opposite and people gloss over the bugs because Obsidian.

edit: except Dungeon Siege 3 I guess.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 20, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

NV's QA was handled by the same company that did Fallout 3's, yet Obsidian got the blame. Can't say anything for AP as it was completely smooth for me.

Point is people have a tendency to poo poo themselves silly over Obsidian's stuff without putting it into any sort of context or using any sort of perspective.

It's not that nobody knows or cares about Bethesda's bugs (as was mentioned, PS3 in particular has always been very bad and nigh unplayable for Fallout/TES). It's that nobody talks about them anymore. People do, however, bring up New Vegas all the time. You bring up a game with bugs and people will bring up that it has bugs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The fact that this is still happening is darkly hilarious, because even without mods the final version of New Vegas is less buggy than Fallout 3. And with the right mods (which you would also need to fix the same problems in Fallout 3) there's hardly any non-cosmetic bugs left (which probably aren't going anywhere because Creation Engine).

But no, the Internet has to do this "never forgive, never forget, never change your mind or you're every emasculating slur in the dictionary and a few someone on 4chan made up on the spot" poo poo.

You have to mention it has bugs to recommend mods to fix the bugs. :v:

Jerusalem posted:

I'm installing Deadly Premonition but I recall there was some kind of issue with the PC port? Has it been patched up or is there a recommended 3rd party patch/fix I should be using with it?

It needs a fan patch I think.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've literally never heard any of this stuff outside of people defending them. Saying Obsidian makes good, flawed games is not a problem because it is a fact and that is the closest to negative I've heard. Well, not including Dungeon Siege 3. Though as to New Vegas specifically, if you just download the game and play it can and will crash. Often, even. Fanmade patches do not change the fact that the bugs were in the game and as such they should be mentioned to people looking to buy it, even if only to point out those patches that fix it. This is not a slight against the people who made it.

Clearly you'll not be convinced on this but you are railing against people and problems that don't exist. I'll let it drop.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pretty sure the only EA games on Steam are games released before Origin, they want you to use their storefront instead of Valve's. Which is why you can find things like Dragon Age Origins and BC2 but not their sequels. Recent EA games are only available on Origin in the same way you can only buy Valve games through Steam.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I guess this answers my next question, which is "Why can I get Street Fighter and not Marvel vs Capcom?"

That is actually probably a different answer involving Disney, Marvel, and publishing rights.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alternatively, just skip ME3 like you would DA2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The ending is the worst part but it is by no means good before then. It has its moments and the weird horde mode thing they added was surprisingly entertaining, but you're really not missing much by just ending out on ME2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Counterpoint: Priority: Tuchanka is the sweetest poo poo. A Thresher Maw eats a Reaper.

Like I said, it has its moments.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I played DA2 more recently than ME3. It's a lot worse, but my point wasn't that they were equally bad and I never said anything like that. My point was that you can skip them both and miss nothing.

If ME3 is a 6/10, DA2 is like a 2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

vvv except playing the third part of a trilogy :suicide: what a dumb thing to say...

Game series can have bad sequels, that doesn't mean you have to play them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

What does it mean when a game update won't stay in the download queue? Dark Souls 2 says "update required" but is not in the queue, when I push that up button in the top right it goes into the queue for a few seconds and downloads a little bit, but drops out again. What is Steam trying to tell me?

Also, I am so close to getting Divinity: Original Sin, but I haven't really played a non-controller based game in a long time. I just can't get my brain in game mode when I am sitting at my desk.

Considering that update was released like two days ago, probably that you already have it and it is just confused. Just a guess, though. :shrug: Have you played the game since trying that? It would probably tell you when you start the game if you didn't actually have the update.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Thanks for that -- I now have it downloading courtesy of the other SA Mart Steam game seller (hiddenmovement wasn't on). I don't think the Russian keys are kosher for SA, though. I remember hearing something about how it's arbitrage(?) and if not exactly illegal, then pretty close.

You guys suggested Divinity and Shadowrun last night when I was asking about Final Fantasy Tactics clones, though. I guess I'm set for a while with Divinity, but are there any good FFT-style RPGs that have come out in the last few years? I tend to compare Divinity more to Baldur's Gate, which is turn-based strategy, I suppose, but wrapped up in the WRPG exploration package. I'm thinking more of "Here is a battle, now tinker with your men, now here is another battle." The closest I've played in the last few years was The Banner Saga, but that game was kinda meh. Totally worth buying, though, if only because it had fantastic illustrations and worldbuilding, and it's the sort of indie game where you can tell a ton of their cash went into actually building the engine, and so the game isn't as fleshed out as you'd like. But you can tell that, if they can afford to make another game to reuse the engine on, it'll be fantastic -- there's a ton of potential there if they could spend the majority of their budget on working on the actual game.

Honestly the best thing you could do if you want something like FFT is to play Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (it's by Yasumi Matsuno, the guy that was the director/writer of FFT). Which is a PSP game. :v: It's available digitally on Vita as well, but again it's not a PC game. I can't think of anything on PC that actually plays like FFT except in the broadest terms.

The guy that made FFT also has an SRPG in development right now called Untold Story: Tale of the Guardians. It's a phone game, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The legality of it is why I didn't bring it up, but yeah it's an option if you don't own/want to buy a PSP/Vita.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good game that can be played in offline mode, preferrably with a ton of replay value? Going to be without internet for a while very soon and I need to prepare my free time now, If I can.

Any fun FPSes, strategy, or whatever games welcome.

There's always the indie game standbys like Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, or Don't Starve. They'll take a while to beat and replaying them is basically the point. XCOM is another good game with a lot of replayability.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Trying to stay as spoiler free with the Dark Souls 2 DLC that's just been released - when abouts are you meant to tackle it?

Maybe around SL 100 or so?

edit: you can take an end game character in and not feel overleveled

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 23, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

What's the opinion on it so far?

I love it and everyone I've spoken to does, too. I haven't seen a single negative thing said about it in the DkS2 PC thread either.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

Origin doesn't do great discounts. They do great giveaways.

Their sales are pretty laughable, it's true. But hey, at least now opening Origin doesn't give my computer a seizure like it use to.

Remember that year when EA first announced poo poo like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge and people liked for for a while? That didn't last very long.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 24, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Divinity 2 is nothing like Skyrim. Dragon Commander is part RTS. It's weird.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's a dating sim on the side, it's a JRPG at heart.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

I liked Dead Island until it turned into borderlands.

2 questions.

1. Which dead island is better? (I played the first on ps3) Does riptide stand alone with enough content to justify purchasing it over the first game?

2. Are there any mods that turn it more into a visceral, edge of your seat zombie smashing game? (the little rpg doodads like health sprites above enemies heads ruin it). I think I've seen talk of a mod that turns it from a spreadsheet into the game it was supposed to be.

Riptide is more of the same but a little worse from what I understand.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dying Light and Dead Island 2 are different games. Dying Light is being made by the original Dead Island dev team that split from their publisher (who owned the IP). Not sure who is behind Dead Island 2.

I think this split is also why Riptide is basically the same game again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

Yeah that was last year wasn't. Hellraid is their off-year then. :smith:

Guess that confirms Dying Light will be ok.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dead Island was incredible... for the first 20-30 minutes. Then you realize you've seen the whole game. Both serious efforts to complete the game stop around the time you leave the resort area. Even with co-op buddies it just wasn't fun after a while.

I played it for a while and it seemed fun, but not something to bother with alone. It's kinda like Borderlands, though it trades some problems those games have for different ones.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's playable, on that we agree.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dunno if saying the key to enjoying the game is to not play it is a great argument, but if it works for you more power to ya.

My way of enjoying that game is to mute it any time Handsome Jack or Tiny Tina have something to say.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Can't say I didn't see that one coming.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

But your name is Ragequit. Who am I supposed to believe, you or you?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Haven't there been Playfire rewards for games you can't buy on GMG before? Dunno why it matters whether the game is sold there when you'd likely just be getting a Steam key anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Not necessarily. I think this is one of those games that have Suda51's name on the box but weren't actually headed up by him. There's an LP in the sub forum of it going right now you could check out to see if it does anything for you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

doctor 7 posted:

I'm always amazed at how F2P is often "literally vastly more expensive than non-F2P if you want the same features."

Every F2P game has the ability to be that way.

Delusibeta posted:

So, the Steam client beta has added a new feature: hiding games. :getin: It's under the Set Categories menu, apparently.

Speaking of, can you delete categories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I use it for Battlefield and it's fine. It generally has faster download speeds than Steam and doesn't throttle my computer the way Steam does when it downloads stuff. The store selection is limited and the sales are a joke but it functions just fine. There's no real glaring flaw in Origin at this point that should stop you from using it if you're interested in an EA game.

Never heard about the spyware thing.

• Locked thread