Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Grog posted:

The blue gradient at the top that doesn't blend in well is the only issue I have with the update. It's just badly done.
It makes it look like your monitor suddenly developed a bad case of backlight bleed at the top of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Just finished Alpha Protocol. What a wild ride.

Bulletstorm, Bioshock, Dead Space, The Darkness 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution all played just fine on a 360 controller for me. Alpha Protocol as well.
Binary Domain has full controller support as well.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

The daily deal is... Shadow of Mordor. :stare:

EDIT: VVVVVV Yeah I know that, but this is kinda unusual for Steam itself. They might be taking an even more aggressive stance on discounting new releases because of these smaller keyseller sites.
It is more likely because Black Friday ads are starting to come out, and the console versions of Shadow of Mordor are going to be $25 at Target and Best Buy at the very least.

Edit: Whoops, maybe not. The poster that said it was $25 on Nuuvem made me think the daily was $25 too, not $37.49. I'm going to be a heathen and get the PS4 version on Black Friday.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 13, 2014

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

Oh hey, there's multiplayer now!
And playable female characters, maybe? The one by Free Parking looks female.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

ookiimarukochan posted:

Amazon user reviews currently have it at JUST over one star, which is a less than thrilling sign. It's also available pretty cheap for such a new game though not as hilariously cheap as Tales of Hearts CG edition went a month after release (though that may just have been Softmap dumping stock - I don't live in Japan any more so I'm going by online prices)
One of the Playstation threads was talking about the latest Tales game the other day. The bad user reviews are due to DLC shenanigans. Supposedly one of the characters that was heavily featured in the advertising is only playable for part of the game unless you buy an unlock DLC.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Palpek posted:

Republique Remastered released for $20. Is it worth getting? Did the remastering do something good to it?
I don't know how the game is, but I would not want to support that deva dev. His head was so far up his own rear end during the Kickstarter about how he was going to revolutionize gaming by making an iOS-only game. Then when it looked like the Kickstarter was going to fail, they quickly flipped and announced a PC version.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

That is kind of a dumb article. Are they only talking about digital distribution and indie games?

People do not buy indie games on PS4, at least not if they are smart. Just wait a while for them to show up free on PS+. Sometimes there is no wait. Apotheon released as a PS+ freebie last month versus $15 on Steam.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Orv posted:

Since it's apparently my week to blather about things, one of the Banner Saga guys is doing a solo-ish game called Killers and Thieves. It basically doesn't exist right now, but hey, maybe one of you jerks is the programmer he's looking for.
I want to play that game. Good for Chewbot.

Orv posted:

I feel like a bunch of different devs should feel insulted by this game.

Hey guys, how can we rip off a bunch of stuff from Paradox, Civs and practically every good management and strategy game from the last half a decade and package it all into a horrible, lovely-looking phone game?
That UI. :barf:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

It is annoying that Dawn of Discovery - Venice never goes on sale with DoD Gold or 2070. It is an extra kick in the teeth to the people that bought DoD before the patch drama led to it being removed from the store for a long time.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I can rest easy tonight knowing I did my duty. Square Enix sent out an email survey asking about their franchises and other popular games. I gave Sleeping Dogs the highest ratings and said a sequel is the game I would most like them to make. Then at the end I put "quit blaming your western studios for the financial difficulties caused by mismanaging the Final Fantasy series" for the "anything else you would like us to know" section.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Great Joe posted:

Why did people fund Banner Saga again? Is it just because of the flat-shaded cartoon art? I mean sure it looks decent but looks shouldn't really sell you on a game, unless you're literally a child.
The classic Disney-style art, music from the Journey composer, King of Dragon Pass-style choices, writing from Chewbot of Oregon Trail LP fame, and all three guys were experienced devs that at the time had just quit working for Bioware. It was early in the first big wave of Kickstarters too. I think they did a good job with the money they raised, except for wasting way too much time on the F2P part to develop/test the battle system since the battles are the weakest part of the game.

I'm looking forward to Killers and Thieves more than part 2 of The Banner Saga.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

theultimo posted:

Some are ok, like #YMBAB and Kingdom Rush, but most are pure trash yes.
I wish they would port the other two Kingdom Rush games. Only the first one is available on Steam because they hate money or something.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Card Hunter must be a huge success. Thirty minute login queue at this time of day, jeeze.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Magic Duels server seems to have died again. It was up most of the day until the European primetime crowd crushed it.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I've been holding off Darkest Dungeons until it was complete but I admit I'm kinda jonsing to play it. Is it worth grabbing now or should I just wait for the full release?
I got it when it first hit Early Access. It is good, but I would wait if I were you. Only 3 of the eventual 5 dungeon types are available now, and the devs are still doing a lot of balancing. I would wait for the final release to avoid burning out.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Sounds legit. Thanks. I'm sort of hype on having a computer that can play all the poo poo I had to overlook before so I'm probably looking for excuses to buy things.
Getting a hugely upgraded new computer is always fun. I was going to say that if you have been without a gaming pc for a long time, take a look at this weekend's sale, but it looks like most of those were available on console too. The only pc-exclusive ones with good goon buzz that jump out at me are Cities: Skylines, Age of Wonders III, Euro Truck Simulator 2, and TIS-1000.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Yeah the Darkest Dungeon devs probably listen too much to the community. The whining over the corpse mechanic was embarrassing to read. It would have seemed like a perfectly fitting design to people trying the game for the first time, but people flipped out over it.

Kly posted:

Im really interested in Darkest Dungeon but i feel like its been "finished but just needs two more dungeons" since it first hit steam.
That is true, but it is not like they have done nothing in the meantime. They have added five or six classes since it hit EA. I think all are in now except for the Kickstarter backer class. They continue to balance combat/classes/economy and have added new monsters. The Cove dungeon is supposed to come out pretty soon.

It is a good game that will only get better. If you are prone to burning out, just wait for release.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 20, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

The retail version of Phantom Pain contains nothing but the Steam installer. Because gently caress people who buy physical copies because of data caps and poo poo.

That is super lovely, as expected of Konami.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

8one6 posted:

I guess that's one (lovely) way to try to enforce street date.
If the game is Steamworks, the game would be locked even if the street date was broken. Installing from disc early is just like pre-loading.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Any opinions on today's daily deal, Legends of Eisenwald?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

zedprime posted:

I thought DnD was extra confounding factors, because the IE games were supposed to be an absolute poo poo show to originally get on GoG because you had Interplay, Atari, and Hasbro all at the table arguing what the DnD video game license even meant in an ongoing fashion. The DnD license, even when it was clearly given to Atari, seemed to be a fairly high profile poo poo show to the point people were worried Hasbro was going to say gently caress DnD video games when it finally wrested the franchise back from Atari's corpse.
Justifiably so since pretty much nothing has been done with the license since then. The terrible F2P Neverwinter game and much more recently Sword Coast Legends are all that comes to mind, and when it comes down to it, neither of those really have much to do with DnD other than using the setting and names.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Kanfy posted:

The only people I judge are people who preorder video games, the rotten scum of the earth.
I am going to pre-order XCOM2 (and the season pass!) now. I know I will end up getting it on day one anyway so might as well do it now and get some mystery cards too.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Thanks to whichever goon recommended Dungeon Warfare the other day. This is scratching the Tower Defense itch nicely.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

does this Helldivers thing have matchmaking or no? (is it even a game where I'd WANT matchmaking?)
It has matchmaking, or you can set your games to private. You'll probably want some matchmaking if you are not playing with friends all the time. The game is more fun with other people to make badass last stands that save the mission while everyone cheers. Or more likely to get crushed and killed by someone's supply drop. Either way, it is way more fun and funny with other people.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Kragger99 posted:

I think it's worth the price, but again, I'm only 1-2 hours in.
I tend to like most games, while Drifter is way more critical, and we both seem to like it.
I'm a bit worried it's going to get balls-hard later on, but if it stayed easy, that would get boring fast.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/24/hand-of-fate-review/

Here's a good impression vid of it:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=394915430
Combat never gets hard. The adventures definitely get harder as the decks get bigger, mainly keeping enough food and dealing with curses.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

I wish they would make a deal where they take the XCOM engine and make licensed games on it. I'd buy XCOM Ghostbusters and XCOM Stargate.
Pretty sure they will have a XCOM version of everything on the Steam Workshop when XCOM 2's mod tools are released.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

What are the good Tower Defense games on Steam? I really enjoyed Orcs Must Die and PS3's Savage Moon.

I'm wondering about DeathTrap and Sang-Froid-tales of werewolves and any others that are good.
Dungeon Warfare was recommended in the thread on the first day of the sale. It is really good but not well known since it only came out recently. I have been so busy with it that I have not gotten to Gemcraft or Defender's Quest yet.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

^^^The person running that account is an international treasure.

I wonder how much it would cost if Facebook had not spent $2 billion acquiring Oculus.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Ninkobei posted:

Can we go back to Couch PC chat real quick: What are people using to play KB+M games while on the couch? Sure using the couch cushion as a mouse pad is great and all but after a while it gets uncomfortable. Also, lap keyboard need's an upgrade.

Male Man posted:

Trackballs own. I used an M570 for years until the LMB switch wore out, then replaced it with a wired Elecom XT-1.

Logitech M570 wireless trackball (on the left in that picture) owns for couch/recliner computing. I've used one for years and bought another one over the holidays when Amazon had it on sale for $20. Put a wireless keyboard in your lap and the trackball on the couch arm, the cushion beside you, or even on your leg.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Sure, but if corpses were not optional the designers could have done a lot more with them. For example, a cannibal class built around eating corpses, or a necromancer based around using them to summon skeletons or something. Anyways, it doesn't sound like adding the option has harmed the game, it just made the designer's job harder.
The classes promised by the Kickstarter had already been fully implemented when the designers decided to add the corpse mechanic.

They decided to make corpses optional because a a vocal minority of the playerbase threw one of the biggest internet tantrums of recent memory. The designers intended positioning to be a big part of the gameplay. Abilities can only be used from certain positions in the party and can only hit certain enemy positions. That allowed for stuff like high damage, low hp enemies in the back row protected by low damage, high hp ones in the front and encouraged an ability loadout that included things that could target the backrow or shuffle enemy positions. Instead, some tactically lazy players would frontload damage skills to whittle down the first target so the back targets would move forward into reach. Corpses were added to make it so back targets did not immediately shuffle forward. Cue an angry backlash, partly spurred by a few bugs and design flaws in the initial implementation.

Heart attacks were added to combat another workaround of the intended game mechanics. Managing stress is supposed to be a big deal. If a character's stress bar fills up during a dungeon crawl, they have a moment of crisis and get a buff or debuff that can have a wide variety of effects, like a chance to self-damage on their turn with Masochism or refusing heals or buffs with Paranoia. Heart attacks were added because there was no need to manage stress or retreat from a dungeon after the moment of crisis. The option made it so a character had a chance to die if the stress bar filled up again. I think they have since modified heart attacks to be a little more forgiving but still punish out of control stress.

It is a good game and one of the few unqualified Kickstarter and Early Access success stories. Get it. I'm looking forward to playing the full game.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Palpek posted:

Only 5 days left until the new Tomb Raider release. :getin:
Only two weeks left until XCOM2 release. :getin:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

PSN has had ads about pre-ordering digital copies of The Force Awakens since before the movie came out.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

The long-awaited (by some) Stardew Valley finally got a release date, February 26. The developer calls it an open-ended country-life RPG, but it is basically a PC Harvest Moon game developed entirely by one guy. He has not announced an exact price yet, probably something like $15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7uXNQskhs

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Brackhar posted:

I wouldn't qualify Fractured Space as a MOBA, since there are no AI minions in it or any form of real itemization in it. It does have "classes" in the form of the ships you use, but there are no restrictions to how many of each ship type you can have on a team. It also does have leveling, but it's a teamwide level that's affected primarily through territory control.

I don't think the comparison is terrible, but I do think it evokes quite the wrong impression. I'd probably equate it more to a character based shooter with leveling.

Edit: Also I think the game is quite fun and worth people's times to check out.
Fractured Space is more like War Thunder, Star Conflict, or World of Tanks/Warships. The MOBAish aspect comes from the game using lanes instead of control points for domination-type matches, with the ability to warp to stations you control in other lanes. Outside matches, unlocking new ships is handled like research in War Thunder and WoT.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Only 43 weeklong deals? That is low compared to recent weeks. Are there finally enough dating sim VNs for a two week Valentine's Day sale?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

XCOM2 preload is finally live. 24.7gb instead of the 45 that some people were saying. Go go go!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Sorcery! Parts 1 and 2 is $3.49 (-65% off). Pretty good deal for a game in its first week on Steam, but also kind of lovely for anyone that bought it at launch and played past the refund timer. I'm going to wait for the inevitable package deal once Part 4 is done.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Out of the new indie games this week, I think I am going to buy Flame in the Flood instead of the innovative shooter
Buy Stardew Valley instead. It has farming, crafting, and, most importantly considering this is the Steam thread, waifus or husbandos.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Triumph announced today that Age of Wonders III has sold 500k copies of the game and about that many of the expansions. Congratulations to that one goon that works there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

Thread overdelivers in the worst opinions field as usual.

Kingdom Rush is actually one of the best 2d tower defense games on steam. They updated graphics from the flash version and removed all the inapp purchases (everything's integrated into the game now). It even has difficulty levels now.

I really hope they release other KR games, they are awesome.
Good news! They patched cloud support into KR a week or two ago, completely out of the blue, and a dev responded to a year-old thread about getting the other KRs on Steam.

quote:

So... not to argue here but in our website we said several times that we aim to make games for both PC and mobile.

Iron Marines is being coded in Unity, which makes porting between platforms a lot easier (it's still hard to do, but we wont have to re-code the whole game from scratch).

KR4 is being coded in a new Cocos2d version that also makes porting easier. (We are super far from an estimated release date, but it should be at least an year from now).

We have another small project that is a bit of a surprise also coded in Unity.

All three projects are being developed in the hopes that we will be able to migrate them to PC without much delay. So this should be a very interesting year for you guys.

Edit:
About Frontiers and Origins coming to Steam... we still haven't reached a full decision. But the mere fact that it's being heavily considered is promising (for Frontiers... Origins is still not an option). We'll make sure to let everyone know as soon as we have news on this.

We said that Origins on PC is very unlikely.
Frontiers is under serious consideration.

:)

We have to re-code the whole thing, and adapt the art (to make sure it looks good on as many screen resolutions as possible).
Since the first KR is already on PC... we can use some of that build to pave the way for Frontiers.

What we are trying to figure out is if we can make a full HD version of Kingdom Rush Frontiers without affecting the development of our other projects. Because even in the most optimistic scenario, Frontiers for PC wont be able to keep the studio open... we need new releases to stay afloat.

Origins has a completely different visual asset gallery (we can't use anything from the previous ones) and the engine is different too (specially the Hero system).

So... until we've ported Frontiers and see how it works, we wont port Origins. That's why we keep saying is unlikely.
I hope they are able to port them. Kingdom Rush is one of my favorite TD games, and I'd like to play the others on a monitor without all the mobile game bullshit.

• Locked thread