Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kibayasu posted:

Sleeping Dogs has its own problems (most of them due to the cuts that had to be made after Activision dropped it) but I rarely felt bored or completely disconnected from the world, story, or characters.

I never heard this before. What was cut from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

I never heard this before. What was cut from it?

The most obvious example in-game are the dates Wei goes on. I believe it was originally and ironically going to be like GTA4 where you go out on dates with one or another just more developed since they aren't random-ish NPC's from a dating website. As it is they're mostly just used to introduce gameplay elements, go on a few specific missions, and unlock the ability to see bonuses to be collected around the map.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
The best part of Saints Row (along with every other part of it) is the random wrestling takedowns you can do. Dressing up as a lucha and clotheslining people never gets old.

I'm surprised they haven't done a full on Murderbrawl dlc expansion.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Anything that got cut from Sleeping Dogs was just preventing a great game from being even better, its not a true detriment to the game as a whole. Definitely still sucks though.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

revdrkevind posted:

Saint's Row 4 (and to a lesser extent 3) is everything GTA ever wanted to be. Loud, fun satire of crime stuff. SR4 is certainly the most fun in the genre. If you just want to yell HELL YEAH at your screen, play SR4. The DLC is totally optional.

I feel like this is the wrong way around. Saints Row the Third is a real fun satire of crime games and a lot more pure fun than GTA has been since San Andreas; Saints Row IV is more like the best Prototype that never was. It sort of abandons all the crime-parody trappings and becomes more of a superhero/sci-fi mash-up thing.

But I also think back more fondly on GTAV than SR4 so I may be dumb.

Either way Sleeping Dogs is the poo poo and everyone should play it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Awesome! posted:

down at the bottom where you can download the DRM free copies there is a soundtrack option

Ah, thanks.

Brackhar posted:

The Swapper is great.

Totally going to wait for a cheap copy of this. So many games in the backlog now thanks to the Humble Bundle. I no longer have any urgency about getting certain games.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
It's not just that Sleeping Dogs had things cut, its development cycle was straight up hosed up. It's a wonder it's as cohesive as it is:

Wikipedia posted:

The development of Sleeping Dogs began in 2008, a couple of months after its developer United Front Games was founded. The game had a difficult and prolonged development cycle, and was passed back and fourth between publishers before it saw a release. Codenamed "Black Lotus", Sleeping Dogs was initially designed as a new IP, featuring a female lead modelled after actress Lucy Liu. However, publisher Activision decided that the game would be more successful if it was part of a franchise and had a male protagonist, so they attached the game to the True Crime series, and swappped in a male lead. Sleeping Dogs was officially announced in November 2009 as True Crime: Hong Kong, the third entry and reboot of the True Crime series. Months later, on August 2010, the game was delayed by Activision in order to give the developers more time to work on the game. During this phase, several additions were made to the it, including bringing in Hollywood action editor Tony Ciccone to consult on the cinematics as well as the visual identity of the game.

Despite that, Activision cancelled the game in February 2011 due to the game "not being good enough" to compete in the open world genre. According to Activision, even with the firm's most optimistic projections, they could not see True Crime reaching the top of the open-world genre. After a couple of months, in August, Square Enix picked up the publishing rights to the game and announced they would still be working with United Front Games on True Crime, but the game had to be renamed since Square Enix did not pick up the True Crime intellectual property. Following the reports, Square Enix announced that True Crime: Hong Kong was renamed as Sleeping Dogs, accompanied by a live action trailer and several in-game screenshots. Development was initially conducted by a team of 180 people, which shrinked to 60 people almost overnight after Activision cancelled the title. Aterward Square Enix picked up the publishing rights for the game, 60 more people were hired, and by the time Sleeping Dogs was released, the team was up to 120 employees. Sleeping Dogs was released worldwide in late 2012 and was both a critical and commercial success, selling over 1.5 million copies worldwide within one year of its release.

e: Also please don't compare Sleeping Dogs to Saint's Row 4. It's like comparing Bulletstorm and ARMA. Play Sleeping Dogs AND Saint's Row 4 tia

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 27, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lance Streetman posted:

Forgot to mention this earlier, but: As part of the one year Anniversary of the FFXIV relaunch, Square Enix is holding a free login campaign that ends September 1st, in addition to the free trial they started recently. So if you already have an FFXIV account, you can log in for free, and if you don't, you can do the free trial. They're doing a bunch of neat summer fair events right now, so it's a good time to check it out.

Also Square Enix recently put up a lyrics video showing off part of the Titan theme entitled "I Beat Titan," so if you wanted to see what people were talking about when they mention the metal-as-hell boss fight in FFXIV, here's your chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmBU8eUWREU

I got into this game because I really dug the soundtrack. The story is good but the soundtrack is amazing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The banner for Walking Dead season 2 has Clem holding a baby.

Is season 3 going to be baby adventures?

How's the game so far? Worth checking out?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 27, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I really didn't like SR4 but loved SR3. Oh well.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

A lot weaker than Season 1 but overall its a still a good game worth playing. Just temper your expectations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

More unlocks? That means more dupes and left-overs:

Legend of Grimrock — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=aRHWDM7UCvdmqR6P
Orcs Must Die! 2: Complete Pack — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=UdbGkbPRmRbrZeGM
PixelJunk Eden — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=T5ReV8Um4E2Erz2K

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tippis posted:

More unlocks? That means more dupes and left-overs:

Legend of Grimrock — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=aRHWDM7UCvdmqR6P

Grabbed this, thanks!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SynthOrange posted:

Nothing will ever be season 1 because season 1 was new, and the weird faux choices were hard to see. Now that you've gone through season 1 it's going to be difficult to not see the seams of season 2 where there had to be story cut to fit gameplay or vice versa. Keep that in mind and you should be fine because the writing is amazing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

Nothing will ever be season 1 because season 1 was new, and the weird faux choices were hard to see. Now that you've gone through season 1 it's going to be difficult to not see the seams of season 2 where there had to be story cut to fit gameplay or vice versa. Keep that in mind and you should be fine because the writing is amazing.

Nothing will be like Season 1 because the writers that wrote for it left the company.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Grey Elephants posted:

Any good first person physics puzzlers out there? I have Portal 1 and 2, Qube, and Quantum conundrum.

Also, how is Eldritch? A first person roguelike sounds pretty fun.

I enjoyed Eldritch quite a bit--it's pretty drat fun (and challenging in spots, and oddly scary at times for such a low-res look). I haven't played it since the additions, and am looking forward to playing it again.

Seconding a recommendation for The Swapper--it's quite good.

If you're interested in Eldritch, you might also enjoy Delver. It's still a work-in-progress, but has gotten slowly and surely better with every update. It's just one guy doing the vast majority of the work, so it's pretty cool what he's managed to do already.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So how do the Playfire Rewards work? There are a few games on their list that I might already have the achievements unlocked for.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Uhh...steam just downloaded 3 MB for the Braid demo...and to my knowledge I don't have any demo installed. :/

God damnit, Steam.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hahaha what the gently caress?!? Walking Dead Season 2 only recognizes part of one of my season 1 savegames...and up to a completed episode 3.

Telltale Games, you're so dumb with your save game stuff.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BigRed0427 posted:

So how do the Playfire Rewards work? There are a few games on their list that I might already have the achievements unlocked for.

Nobody really knows. Some people get money for achievements they've unlocked and some don't. Some say it involves logging in and out of both Playfire and GMG a certain number of times. Some say it involves running the game you're trying to get money from for a certain amount of time. Some say it involves sacrificing a small child to the elder gods.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Drifter posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress?!? Walking Dead Season 2 only recognizes part of one of my season 1 savegames...and up to a completed episode 3.

Telltale Games, you're so dumb with your save game stuff.

Not only is their save system dumb, but it results in massive files. The save folder for The Wolf Among us is like 5 GB.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

I've never got any rewards for pre-achieved stuff, but others say they have. So there you go.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Not only is their save system dumb, but it results in massive files. The save folder for The Wolf Among us is like 5 GB.

My save folder for the Wolf among us is 3 megs. The Walking Dead season 2 save folder is 8 megs. I think something's busted with your saves.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Eruonen posted:

The map isn't as big as some popular open world games, but it's very well crafted. I've heard people say it actually captures the feel of Hong Kong pretty well but I can't comment on that personally. I just know that despite it not being the biggest map, I loved every inch of it and Sleeping Dogs is one of the few games I beat 100% with all achievements.

They got the feeling down really well, especially the slummier market areas. But real Hong Kong (island alone) is loving insane in how tiered and crazy everything is. If they even just expanded the island's scale to include more space and verticality, it would be crazy good. Sleeping Dogs doesn't have as much vertical architecture as I liked. The place is loving skyscraper heaven, especially in the big downtown financial district.

God someone should do a 1:1 Hong Kong Island open world game just to prove even that is more than enough exploration space.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

The save only affects some of Clem's dialogue in episode 2 and whether or not some characters have cameos later on.

This is a few pages ago but I was wondering. If I play the default new game of walking dead season 2, with no save file (because I played season 1 on console), which characters make cameo's later / which am I missing out on that I could see with a save file?

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 27, 2014

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Leper Residue posted:

My save folder for the Wolf among us is 3 megs. The Walking Dead season 2 save folder is 8 megs. I think something's busted with your saves.

Do you have the steam version or the one out of the Telltale store? The one from their store backs up the save system by physically copying the entire install directory into your user folder. I only have one episode of TWD:S2 downloaded but I have two 1 GB folders with the exact same content in two places. The Wolf Among Us did the same thing when I had it installed.

It's great!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LibbyM posted:

This is a few pages ago but I was wondering. If I play the default new game of walking dead season 2, with no save file (because I played season 1 on console), which characters make cameo's later / which am I missing out on that I could see with a save file?

They said season one decisions will be randomly populated instead of ones that you would have chosen had you played the gaem and had a savegame.

Also, I fixed the stupid issue by saving my episode 6 400 days prefs.prop (libraries > documents > Telltale Games > T W D) over into the the main season 1 folder - overwriting the prefs.prop that was already there.

Telltale you are so goddamned lazy - fire your programmer or your projman. Jesus Christ you are dumb.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I find myself enjoying Big Picture more and more, having hooked up my PC to my HDTV. In this context, which shooters are fine with a wireless 360 controller? I was thinking of Bioshock 2, Dead Space, the Metro series (2033/Last Light) and Wolfenstein, but I am not sure if the PC versions play well with a controller, or if I should stick to keyboard/mouse. I know all these games have console versions, but sometimes PC versions don't get along too well with controllers, or don't even support it (Mass Effect, for instance).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I find myself enjoying Big Picture more and more, having hooked up my PC to my HDTV. In this context, which shooters are fine with a wireless 360 controller? I was thinking of Bioshock 2, Dead Space, the Metro series (2033/Last Light) and Wolfenstein, but I am not sure if the PC versions play well with a controller, or if I should stick to keyboard/mouse. I know all these games have console versions, but sometimes PC versions don't get along too well with controllers, or don't even support it (Mass Effect, for instance).

Bulletstorm is fuckin' amazing no matter what you use to control input.

I also have only ever used x360ce with my logitech rumble whatever and it's never let me down.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Drifter posted:

Bulletstorm is fuckin' amazing no matter what you use to control input.

Played through it and enjoyed every single second of it - probably among the most underrated games on Steam.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Played through it and enjoyed every single second of it - probably among the most underrated games on Steam.

Call of Juarez Gunslinger has controller suppport. And is a really fun game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

gunpoint is currently 2.50 on the humble store

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Bulletstorm has xinput? I never found the controller option myself.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Awesome! posted:

gunpoint is currently 2.50 on the humble store
It's cheaper on Steam (£1.50 as opposed to £1.99 over here). How is it? It looks like it could be fun, but also really annoying.

zonar fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 27, 2014

Teavian
Oct 9, 2012

So Legend of Grimrock was supposed to be pretty good right?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Gunpoint was my GOTY for 2013. It's really short but it's a very fun and witty little stealth game. Also it has an amazing soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AASeTbHFvSQ

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Teavian posted:

So Legend of Grimrock was supposed to be pretty good right?

Claimed this! Have been meaning to try this out.

Thank you very much

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just finished Alpha Protocol. What a wild ride.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Bulletstorm, Bioshock, Dead Space, The Darkness 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution all played just fine on a 360 controller for me. Alpha Protocol as well.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/victoria-complete-bundle/

Neat, this bundle is Victoria Complete, Victoria II and all of the expansions and cosmetic dlc. Five bucks which is a nice price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looks like Metro 2033 Redux has a nasty bug where it crashes to desktop the moment it leaves the intro. Anyone figure out a way around it? There are a lot of complaints on the Steam forums.

• Locked thread