Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damegane
May 7, 2013

Orv posted:

This isn't exactly what you're looking for but I'll be damned if I miss even the flimsiest of reasons to link it.

That bike gang horse is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Orv posted:

Anyone playing Velvet Sundown needs to just start belting 90s Disney in Microsoft Sam and see how long it takes to "ruin" the server.

As in a whole new woooooooooorld and such?

Damegane
May 7, 2013

SilverMike posted:

On the heels of Halfway sounding a bit disappointing, could I get a recommendation for a turn-based strategy game with a focus on the squad level? Latest game like that I've had fun with was XCOM:EW.

The gold standard of turn-based strategy games on PC is still Jagged Alliance 2 with the 1.13 mod. Hire mercs with colourful personalities and run a rebellion against a tyrant. Stealth in an area and knife everyone in the darkness! Or don't, and charge in in the middle of the day, spraying machine gun fire down the main street while launching expensive rockets at single enemy soldiers!

If you want something slightly newer, there's Silent Storm and Silent Storm Sentinels. World War 2 spec ops people from all over the world fighting nazis.

If you really want to go nuts, there's the janky as all hell, but really good Russian real-time with pause games like 7.62 or Marauder: Man of Prey.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

How generic is Binary Domain, currently in the GG Sega sale?

They did a good job making the robots fun to shoot by having bits of armour and casing flake off as you shoot them. Shoot a limb long enough and it ends up looking skeletal with exposed wiring and stuff, then you blow the whole thing off. You can tell at a glance how much HP a regular enemy robot has left by how messed up he looks. :v:

Damegane
May 7, 2013
It's a weapon class that's only supposed to be used in stealth. Or "stealth", when you multishot the whole room in a split second. If you don't want to wait for your silent 1 hit kill headshot, then just bring one of the other 3 weapon classes and go hog wild.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

revdrkevind posted:

gun-fu
rear end in a top hat shotgun guy

That was my first playthrough. Heavily-armoured madman charging in, spraying buckshot everywhere until I gets into melee range, then it's combos until the guy goes down or starts blocking, at which point its shotgun time again. :black101:

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Downs Duck posted:

I'm currently getting my rear end handed to me Alpha Protocol, by Omen Deng and his annoying guards, to be precise.

I've gone the spy route and have specialized in pistol, stealth and CQC, but:
-my pistol ain't doing any decent damage on him
-the guy detects me through walls while I'm standing still
-he blocks almost all of my punches and kicks
-guards popping up once in a while are annoying as hell, but manageable

I did get to use my "shadow ops" skill to sneak upon him and deliver a shotgun blast in his head, which only took a little bit of energy from him as well.

Is he superman in disguise or something? This boss fight is close to rivaling some of my worse Dark Souls moments, didn't expect that from this game at all. Any tactics on how to take him down would be welcome (Stephen, you crazy psychopath, were are you when I need you the most).

Remember, you can shoot halfway through a combo, and you can melee immediately after shooting. Spray while charging him, start punching when you reach, and if he starts blocking, shoot him once or twice to get him to stop blocking then start punching again. Rinse and repeat.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
First run of any uplay game is always a massive pain.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

At this point I'm not against just buying a game from uPlay itself if it's on deep discount since it doesnt really matter. Launching it from Steam literally just launches the uPlay client so what's the point. If uPlay is shut down I lose the game either way.

Buying on Steam does hold the advantage of having the game autopatch via Steam though.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

mr. nobody posted:

They even tell you how many pieces you slices boxes into. I've gotten the art of box-slicing down pretty well and have sliced at least one box into 1500+ pieces.

I like that one room in the sewers with a bunch of large machinery in it for precisely this reason. Break out the staff and start breakdancing!

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Helith posted:

Good. I suppose I should manage my expectations that she might find a bra along with the pants. Japanese games seem to dislike bra's on women for some reason.

As opposed to western games where women wear bras and not much else?

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Some of the animations look like they were mo-capped with props of appropriate weight. This is great!

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Oh quit it with the bitchy slapfights already.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

big duck equals goose posted:

I really want to play that Nobunaga's ambition game by Koei but it's in full blown Chinese only?

I'm shocked because I heard the game is really good and if translated would get some pretty nice sales.

That probably means Koei's Taiwanese branch did the translating and decided to just put it on Steam for the hell of it.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Prototype 2 is the daily deal.

If I enjoyed the original, will I enjoy this one?

Yes. You may or may not lament the disappearance of the muscle form though. I loved powerbombing people with that mode on.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

botany posted:

Ughhhhh why is Uplay such a loving pain in the rear end. Also why did the devs of Splinter Cell Blacklist think it was a good idea to drop you right into the loving game rather than the menu whenever you start.

The ~cinematic experience~

Yeah I hate it too. The only computer I have is a laptop and I really need to lower graphics settings for every game I play, and this kind of thing just wastes my time. Especially given the current trend of making pause menus a fancy ingame rendered thing instead of a separate static menu. I just end up with a sluggish menu before I even get to change my settings.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Seventh Arrow posted:

Maybe those two Clive Barker games? I haven't played them, but I assume they're horror.

Jericho definitely isn't. It's just a team of people in black leather shooting a variety of guns and magic at weird cultists and monsters.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

having a button mashing sequence at all is loving terrible.

It all depends on execution. You can make QTEs a chore by throwing them in for pointless time-wasting crap like forcing open a jammed door, which is what most QTEs are, or you can make the player feel like he's "contributing" by doing what MGR:R did with its boss finisher QTEs.

Damegane fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 9, 2014

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Thank you for saving us, Thief Hawke, have this mage robe that nobody can ever wear.

Don't you have any mages in your party?

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Of course you do. But in DA2, nobody but Hawke is allowed to wear armor.

Oh, I thought you were talking about DAO. OK.

pentyne posted:

It makes for a smoother gameplay experience, not having to gear out your companions all the time. All you need to do is their upgrades, usually 1-2 per chapter.

Upgrading your party's skills and equipment and getting them just right is part of the fun of a party-based RPG.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Gromit posted:

For an alternate opinion, I enjoyed it both solo and co-op. It's not a popular opinion though, I'll admit. Kragger is the only other goon I know who admits to having fun with it.

I'll provide a middle-of-the-road opinion here and say I liked parts of it.

The melee combat feels really good, it's nice and weighty with good reactions from enemies when they get hit. You get a kick which is capable of ragdolling enemies like almighty boot from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic once you drain their stamina with regular attacks or prior kicks.

It does get boring real quick though, since the melee combat is all there is to it. Guns are crap, and the game just gets bogged down with too much traveling to and fro objectives, especially once you hit the 2nd chapter.

Get Riptide if you're gonna give it a try, because that one has a new character, a fisticuffs man with a ton of special moves. That guy is really fun to play as.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Which stalker do I want, if I'm looking for the funnest one with the best mods.

Get SoC first, it's the most linear, and is a good introduction to the series in general, being the first game and all. Play through it, and if you like it, get CoP, which is a lot more freeform in that it gives you 3 huge maps and a ton of quests in each. If you liked that too, get CS with The Faction Wars mod, which fixes the faction wars part of CS, throws out the story altogether in favour of letting you pick one of the factions and rampage through the zone until you and your boys are grand overlords of horrible radiation land. :black101:

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Drifter posted:

The biggest problem I have with the Bethesda gamebryo games is the combat and basically the way you interact with the environment is super boring and that won't really change until the engine does.

Plus how bad the movement is. You're always just sliding around and it feels terrible. Jumping feels equally terrible. Melee combat lacks any sort of weight and it feels like you're swinging around rolled-up newspapers, except when something ragdolls while you're still attacking and the corpse physics its way to the moon.

Bethesda Gamebryo games play like poo poo, is what I'm saying. They tried to improve on that a little with Skyrim, but it's still not enough.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
I remember reading about a good Far Cry 2 mod on SA some years back. Does anyone know what it's called?

Damegane
May 7, 2013

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Akarshi posted:

So I haven't played any Far Cry games before. Should I pick up the Franchise Pack for ten bucks? I heard tons of good things about Far Cry 2 comparing it to Spec Ops, and not as many good things about Far Cry 3 base, but apparently Blood Dragon is really good or something.

3 is alright. It just has a dumb story and a section of the game where every story mission was some jerk sending you into platforming puzzle caves. It's good shooting throughout, regardless.

Also, an actual good cover system in an FPS that's halfway behind "walk behind this crate" and "superglue yourself to a crate with a button". When you aim your weapon while squatting behind a box, you automatically pop up or lean around the corner depending on how you move your mouse. It feels very natural and I wish more shooters had this system.

Damegane fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 16, 2014

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Yeah they're fun to fight but it's just the tonal shift that irks a lot of people, I think.

Far Cry (and Crysis, for that matter) were these really cool games where you basically get to be a guerrilla and you can gently caress up people in so many crazy ways and be a general pain in the rear end, then out of nowhere they throw these aliens in where virtually everything you've been doing up to that point changes.

In Crysis, at least, after the initial area where you were fighting the aliens alone, the rest of the game has you running around with aliens all over the place while soldiers panic and shoot everywhere. You get less chances to Batman it up, but Ramboing suddenly becomes a hell lot more fun with all the extra targets and explosions.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

An Armored Core game for the PC would be nice.

Imagine, menu navigation with M+KB. Glorious.

(I'm not even joking)

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Bhodi posted:

I use my wishlist as a "Email when any of these games are cheaper" because sometimes weekly or daily deals trigger and then I get an email and then I buy and enjoy the game.

I really can't be bothered to look at the mess that is the steam store frontpage anymore.

Yeah I use my wishlist as a "things to keep an eye on" list, along with IsThereAnyDeal. ITAD even emails you faster than Steam does when something on your list goes on sale.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

?? It doesn't matter when/how you buy games, if they have trading cards you'll be able to get them. Whenever I get a new game that has cards I just idle in SAM overnight and wake up to 3-6 new items in my inventory. Sure it's just pocket change at this point, but if the game itself was only a couple of bucks that's still like another 25-33% off :retrogames:

He's probably referring to the cards you get from spending during a sale.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
More free Insurgency.

https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=AWHUvrAGhBB2fHW3

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Gyshall posted:

I can't find the Stalker thread so I'll ask here - what are the best graphical mod packs that just make the games look better, without loving with the gameplay?

If there are minimal "unofficial patches" those are OK too (bug fixes, etc.)

I tried the Complete mods for my first couple of play throughs and didn't realize all the poo poo they changed/added.

Pointing you to the thread cause there's a few active modders there who know way more than I do.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572610

Damegane
May 7, 2013

About 70% of your post was irrelevant since the guy only asked about the SP.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

Anyone know how to help my wife who has trouble with motion sickness in first person games? Dramamine helps a little but i was wondering if there is a certain FOV or something I should set.

85-90 thereabouts.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

GreenNight posted:

If the Tales Of games and Disgaea games went to Steam I wouldn't need a PS3 anymore.

You'll still need it for Dragon's Dogma.

Dammit Capcom.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
I haven't played Witcher 2 due to toaster-related issues, but this is all I know of Roche, so I'd go with him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjyqqHU7JI

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Croccers posted:

I've been playing a bunch of Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 lately and I've spied that Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier™ is 6ish~ bux at the moment. I passed riiight over this when it come out, any decent?
I really don't give a poo poo that it uses uPlay, uPlay is a non-issue here. I just want to know about the game.

It's pretty good, well worth 6 bucks. You're supposed to play sorta stealthy most parts, but it gets really stupid fun when you bring a like-minded co-op buddy and just Rambo it up with LMGs.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Dominic White posted:

I really wouldn't worry about the Dragon's Dogma port. It ran on the MT Framework engine, which Capcom used for DMC4, Resident Evil's 5 & 6 and both Lost Planet games.

You'll notice that all of those got fantastic PC ports.

According to a dev report some years after the game came out, MT Framework was built to load up things in structured levels, which worked fine for all the games you listed out. Hell, it worked like buttery smooth magic in those games. Then they had to apply a ton of hacks to it to have it work with an open-world game like DD. It'll remain to be seen whether PC can just brute force away any performance issues again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Hog Inspector posted:

splinter cell blacklist TRIP REPORT:

It takes at least 30 seconds to launch from uplay and won't launch at all from steam. The game stutters and hangs every five seconds. It crashes in less than 15. I cannot access the options menu because the game has you pick difficulty and starts the opening cutscene directly. My computer is less than two months old.

ubisoft :razz:

That's just you, I'm afraid. I didn't have any problems with it on my a "gaming" laptop from 2011 and 4 month old PC.

• Locked thread