Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Xander77 posted:

One of us has no idea what they're talking about.

I enter steam guard, and change the options from "Get steam guard codes by email" to "get steam guard codes on my phone". Press "Next", and am asked to "Enter the SMS code we've sent to your phone". The SMS arrives within seconds, I enter it, and "The SMS code is incorrect".

Anyways, there's a pre-xmas (prismas) gift train happening. Join in.

If that's not working, I think you can activate via email instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Grawl posted:

Ok so;

Is anyone up for a 4-pack for Rocket League? It'd come to €9,63 each (cheaper than the US bundle, but you don't need to from Europe to participate), need to be paid to me by PayPal.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252950/

1) Grawl - http://steamcommunity.com/id/grawl/
2) Ragequit - http://steamcommunity.com/id/ragequits/

If this is not moving in the next 15 minutes I'm going to bed and it'll have to wait.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Thanks to everyone who recommended Renowned Explorers, the game is exactly what I was looking for - fast, easy to play, tons of replayability.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Modus Pwnens posted:

If that's not working, I think you can activate via email instead.
I already have steam guard enabled via email - I'm trying to activate the newfangled Mobile Authenticator to stop my trades from being delayed by 3 days.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

h_double posted:

Got this as a $3 mobile game a few weeks ago and love it. Chanting "YOU. MUST. BUILD. A. BOAT." when you level up is the best feeling.

Is that made by the same people that did 100000 (or however many zeroes that game was)? Is it different enough to warrant a buy?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Xander77 posted:

I already have steam guard enabled via email - I'm trying to activate the newfangled Mobile Authenticator to stop my trades from being delayed by 3 days.

This suggests you can authenticate your phone with an email if you don't want to use SMS.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4440-RTUI-9218

You'll still use your phone for the two-step sign-in, this is just the one time setup to tell Steam your phone is legit.

Of course it's Steam so their instructions could be wildly wrong.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Is that made by the same people that did 100000 (or however many zeroes that game was)? Is it different enough to warrant a buy?

Yes to both

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That huge post about elite is someone who is very good at lying to themselves. It's not about finding your own fun. Grand theft auto is about finding your own fun. Elite is about maintaining an attention span for a game that demands it once every 3 minutes or you lose your ship.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
How is Dying Light if I plan on playing it single player?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Morter posted:

Yes to both

Enough for me. I'm on a plane for 6 hours tomorrow and this ought to help.

Regarding Elite, I think it's a fun game because I like flying the ships around. If you don't like doing that (and you can download the demo and find out I think) then you probably aren't going to find enough fun stuff regarding missions/meta game/etc to keep you interested. If you do then the missions, meta game, etc just give you a reason to do what you enjoy doing anyway and that's enough.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Xander77 posted:

One of us has no idea what they're talking about.

I enter steam guard, and change the options from "Get steam guard codes by email" to "get steam guard codes on my phone". Press "Next", and am asked to "Enter the SMS code we've sent to your phone". The SMS arrives within seconds, I enter it, and "The SMS code is incorrect".
While this won't help you one bit, I just activated the authenticator like you described. Got the SMS, entered the code and the phone was ready.
I then got a recovery code, I had to write down, and then the authenticator was running.

Have you tried reverting back to email, uninstall, then re-install the app and enable SMS activation again?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

splinter cell blacklist TRIP REPORT:

It takes at least 30 seconds to launch from uplay and won't launch at all from steam. The game stutters and hangs every five seconds. It crashes in less than 15. I cannot access the options menu because the game has you pick difficulty and starts the opening cutscene directly. My computer is less than two months old.

ubisoft :razz:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Hog Inspector posted:

It takes at least 30 seconds to launch from uplay and won't launch at all from steam. The game stutters and hangs every five seconds. It crashes in less than 15. I cannot access the options menu because the game has you pick difficulty and starts the opening cutscene directly. My computer is less than two months old.

Weird, I didn't have any problems or bugs when I played the game and afaik it's not known as a buggy game to begin with.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Hog Inspector posted:

That's just you, I'm afraid. I didn't have any problems with it on my a "gaming" laptop from 2011 and 4 month old PC.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i was under the impression that Conviction is the one that runs like poo poo, not Blacklist

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Harminoff posted:

Its mostly a single player game any way so you'll be fine. I loved Dying Light since it one of the best implantation of a FPS parkour game I've seen (its what Mirrors Edge should have been). Nothing is out of bounds and roaming around the city during the day and night stomping zombies is a blast. The story can get a little bad at parts but overall a really well done game.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Modus Pwnens posted:

This suggests you can authenticate your phone with an email if you don't want to use SMS.

You'll still use your phone for the two-step sign-in, this is just the one time setup to tell Steam your phone is legit.

Of course it's Steam so their instructions could be wildly wrong.

At least on android, the activate with email option was just not actually there at all for me. I'm not sure why but the guide seems to be incorrect about it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

Perfectly fine. The story missions are single player only for the most part anyways. Co-op is for open world shenanigans and you can get into plenty of those solo. The story itself is really cliche with a handful of really badly designed missions but overall the game is great.

In fact, I'd not recommend co-op until after you finish the story. The game seems better balanced around SP.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Space Food Truck is fun! It's exactly what it looks like (Space Alert x Dominion). You win or lose as a team which accommodates a range of skill levels / attention-paying levels, and there's no in-game mechanic to punish you as a player for taking too long on your turns or making mistakes so it's only as serious as your group wants to make it. All known information is shared so you have plenty to think about on someone else's turns, plus it makes for challenging/rewarding optimal-play puzzles. I hope at least 3 other people buy it and want to play it sometime

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Trying to see if there is any interest in jumping on Dying light 4 pack, would make it 15$ per person .
anyone might be interested ?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I am finally at a computer, so I would like to recommend a few games I have really enjoyed over the last year:

Tales from the Borderlands - $12.49: Of all Telltale games I have played, this took first place. There were a ton of great set pieces (every episode had at least one great played out moment) and the banter you could select was almost always great. You don't need to know anything about Borderlands to enjoy this game. It never wore out it's welcome, and it had me laughing constantly. All episodes are now released as of a few weeks ago, so you can enjoy it with no waiting!

The Talos Principle - $13.59: Good puzzle games (and especially 3D ones) seem to be hard to find these days, but The Talos Principle scratches all the right itches. I had to look up one solution during the main playthrough but was otherwise able to work through every other puzzle. It's challenging and rewarding in a great way. I don't recall any "bullshit" puzzles - you know the type. The new DLC, Road to Gehenna, seems to be a bit harder if you want more of a challenge. I am not very far in but have been stumped a few times. Though it's entirely possible I got dumber since finishing the main game.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - $7.49: This is a 10-hour South Park episode that you get to play. If you have any love for the show, this is a must have. It's not a difficult game by any means, but it's really enjoyable and good for a lot of laughs.

Ori and the Blind Forest - $11.99: This is the best metroidvania I have played in ages. Great art, music (I still hum the main theme every so often), and polish make this a great choice. There are a few chase sequences which seem to turn a few people away, but they are honestly not that bad. I ran in to 3 or 4 in my 8 hour playthrough. You will die a few times before you power up a bit, but you can make your own checkpoints with a skill so you can ease your way through any difficult segment.

Dying Light - $19.99: Holy poo poo an actually good zombie game. I thought I had seen enough attempts with zombies, but I was wrong. Take batons, rifles, shovels, cleavers, bats, etc. and power them up with elements to lay waste to hordes of zombies. Everyone whines about "NO JUMPING?!" and "WHY CAN'T I KICK?!" but there is plenty of both in this game. Use parkour and the grappling hook to fly around the world while drop kicking zombies in the face. It's a ton of fun.

Crypt of the Necrodancer - $7.49: It's been talked about a lot recently, but I can vouch for it as well. Great gameplay, great difficulty, and the unlockable characters really change up the runs. You can use your own music for the levels, but I don't know why you would bother - the standard music is super catchy. I really sucked at this game at first, but after gathering a few diamonds (picked up during each run that you can spend on items/modes/training) I was able to purchase a training mode for the enemies giving me trouble to learn their patterns.

Dungeonmans - $7.49: A roguelike with even better music than Crypt of the Necrodancer. The composer said he took a lot of influence from Final Fantasy Tactics, and it shows. The art isn't anything fancy, but it gets the job done. Each subsequent attempt gets a bit easier, as you level up your academy that persists between characters. The academy grants you items, weapons, and even skill points to further power you up. Unfortunately you need a mouse/keyboard for this game. It's not nearly as controller friendly as Crypt of the Necrodancer.

I had a ton of fun with every game listed above, and each is more than worth the current asking price.

With all that said, I would love some input on a game I have had an eye on. What's the goonsensus on Caves of Qud? I know the dev has posted here at some point, but that was before it was out of EA. It would be fun to pick up a true roguelike again, and I am curious if this is worth it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Are any of the Majesty 2 DLC worth picking up?

Buying the complete collection is the same price as any individual DLC so hopefully at least one is worth it.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Are any of the Majesty 2 DLC worth picking up?

Buying the complete collection is the same price as any individual DLC so hopefully at least one is worth it.

Majesty II is noticeably worse than the first game, so only buy it if you played 150 hours, at minimum, of Majesty I. As for the M2 expansions, the only one even vaguely worth playing is Monster Kingdom.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Enough for me. I'm on a plane for 6 hours tomorrow and this ought to help.

Regarding Elite, I think it's a fun game because I like flying the ships around. If you don't like doing that (and you can download the demo and find out I think) then you probably aren't going to find enough fun stuff regarding missions/meta game/etc to keep you interested. If you do then the missions, meta game, etc just give you a reason to do what you enjoy doing anyway and that's enough.

Yeah, this is one of the few sandbox games that I'm mildly willing to figure out, partially because it feels immersive and is a dream to look at. I'm getting Freespace 2 vibes all over the place. :allears:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Which one should I get for $5?

Serious Sam 3 or RAGE?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's a New Humble Weekly Bundle where you can get Worms Armageddon for a dollar. Do you really need to know anything else?

Pay $1:
Worms 1
Worms Crazy Golf
Alien Breed Trilogy
Light
:siren::siren:Worms Armageddon:siren::siren:

Pay $6:
Worms Revolution Gold
Worms Reloaded
Flockers
Schrödinger's Cat and the Raiders of the Lost Quark

Pay $12:
Worms Clan Wars 4-pack
LA Cops
Beyond Eyes

Pay $70:
Everything else Team17 has published on Steam

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Call Me Charlie posted:

Serious Sam 3 or RAGE?
Serious Sam 3.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ragequit posted:

With all that said, I would love some input on a game I have had an eye on. What's the goonsensus on Caves of Qud? I know the dev has posted here at some point, but that was before it was out of EA. It would be fun to pick up a true roguelike again, and I am curious if this is worth it.

They don't just lost here some of the time, Unnormal and to a lesser extent Hand of Luke are regulars in the roguelike thread. Caves of Qud is a pretty dense experience, kind of an open world thing like the DF adventure mode more than a regular get to zot dungeon crawling RL. The people who love it, love it. We actually had to ask them to make a thread for it because every second post in the RL thread was about CoQ.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Metal Gear Rising is available for less than $3.50 on Nuuvem. Codes and Paypal check are not region-locked.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jordan7hm posted:

They don't just lost here some of the time, Unnormal and to a lesser extent Hand of Luke are regulars in the roguelike thread. Caves of Qud is a pretty dense experience, kind of an open world thing like the DF adventure mode more than a regular get to zot dungeon crawling RL. The people who love it, love it. We actually had to ask them to make a thread for it because every second post in the RL thread was about CoQ.

An open world rogue like sounds pretty rad. I'll search around for the thread, as that may help sell it a bit better. Thanks!

Edit: This was in the OP:

quote:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

Unless anyone can convince me otherwise over the next day or two, that sold me pretty hard. Holy moly.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 27, 2015

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Perfectly fine. The story missions are single player only for the most part anyways. Co-op is for open world shenanigans and you can get into plenty of those solo. The story itself is really cliche with a handful of really badly designed missions but overall the game is great.

In fact, I'd not recommend co-op until after you finish the story. The game seems better balanced around SP.

What? Is this true? I was going to buy this game in a 4 pack to co-op with my buddies, but if the story is SP only and co-op is only side stuff, that's super lame and I'll probably pass on the game.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Space Food Truck is fun! It's exactly what it looks like (Space Alert x Dominion). You win or lose as a team which accommodates a range of skill levels / attention-paying levels, and there's no in-game mechanic to punish you as a player for taking too long on your turns or making mistakes so it's only as serious as your group wants to make it. All known information is shared so you have plenty to think about on someone else's turns, plus it makes for challenging/rewarding optimal-play puzzles. I hope at least 3 other people buy it and want to play it sometime

This looks kinda fun. I'll happily play with you after it launches from EA.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Does using the Steam app as a mobile authenticator only work through sending text messages to a smartphone with the app installed? If the app is installed on a tablet with no phone functionality, is it just useless?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Huh. I... don't see that part. Could you point it out or something? One of us might be misreading the instructions.

A good poster posted:

Does using the Steam app as a mobile authenticator only work through sending text messages to a smartphone with the app installed? If the app is installed on a tablet with no phone functionality, is it just useless?
Oh. That might be it, I guess. I am getting the text messages on a different phone, and maybe the app is detecting that somehow?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Relin posted:

Her Story is a pretty great "game". I got all but 59ish clips (over 75%) then had to employ the BLANK search trick for the rest. It's neat when you make an "ah-ha" connection.

I got almost all of them legitimately but there are a few which are just yes/no answers which I don't think you can clear without cheating.

Good game though and people should consider it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Call Me Charlie posted:

Serious Sam 3 or RAGE?

SS3 if you have to get one but just be aware that SS3 isn't as good as the previous games, not even Serious Sam 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

VodeAndreas posted:

I got almost all of them legitimately but there are a few which are just yes/no answers which I don't think you can clear without cheating.

Good game though and people should consider it.
You can, you just need to search for lie detector .

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Quest For Glory II posted:

i was under the impression that Conviction is the one that runs like poo poo, not Blacklist

I couldnt get multiplayer to work in conviction without it hard crashing to the desktop.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Serious Sam 3 or RAGE?

Personally, I don't feel like SS3 doesn't stay fun as long as RAGE does. I'd go for RAGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Morter posted:

Personally, I don't feel like SS3 doesn't stay fun as long as RAGE does. I'd go for RAGE.

That's a hard choice because RAGE loving sucked, and SS3 was...not nearly as good as SS1.

In my opinion they both aren't worth buying, OR playing. Buy WOlfenstein New Order even though it's wildly different.

edit: Or, you know, buy Painkiller: Black.

• Locked thread