Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

(Last thread with tonnes more stuff in the OP: in the gas chamber. Blame Ralp.)

:shepspends: Next big sale: Summer Sale, almost certainly starting June 22nd.

:siren: Regular Steam maintenance happens 4pm PST on Tuesdays. If Steam goes down around that time, that’s why. Steamstat.us is the website to go to check Steam’s status.
:siren: If you want to join the goon Steam group, post in this thread
:siren: Giveaways, gifting and contests should be done in this thread, since that's always behind the paywall. Feel free to organise 4 packs here, though.
:siren: Game trading goes into this thread, card trading goes into that thread.
:siren: In the big sales, there's no more limited time special discounts, so feel free to go nuts on day one.
:siren: Palpek's big list of good games is in this handy Google document. Have a look if you fancy something new.
:siren: Steamgoons IRC details are over in this brand new thread
:siren: No, G2A are not legit, don't buy from them.

Steam is the premier PC game digital distribution platform. Launched by Valve Software in 2003, it's now become essential for every PC gamer. It removes the need for keeping CDs and licence keys; now you can download your games from the internet in just four or five clicks.

OS: Windows (XP or later), OSX (10.5.8 or later) and Linux (preferred: Ubuntu)
Mobile apps: available for Android & iOS

Recommended websites:
Is There Any Deal tracks the prices of all the videogames from all of the digital distributors. Sign up to get e-mails for when you wishlisted games enter a bundle or reach a record low price.
CheapShark highlights the biggest deals from the main digital distributors on its front page.
SavyGamer is a UK deals site, for those of you who wants a personal touch to your deals.
Steamgifts allows you to raffle off your spares to pubbies.
Can You Run It tells you if your PC should be able to handle the games you want to play.

Recommended programs:
Enhanced Steam is a plug-in for Chrome and Firefox, and it’s :krad:. It highlights games you own, games on your wishlist, how many friends have said game on their wishlist, highlights DRM on games, highlights ongoing bundles, allows you to compare prices across regions, adds a “Empty Basket” button, allows you to add a custom amount of money to your Steam Wallet and a tonne more. Utterly essential. It's now possible to get Enhanced Steam in the Steam client, but it's more than a little clunky.

GameSave Manager backs up game saves. While Steam Cloud is increasingly popular, this little program allows you to backup the save files of nearly all of your PC games to a specific folder, and then allows you to restore the save files automatically. Great for when you’re about to format your PC.

Depressurizer allows you to reorganise your Steam games into categories, instead of using the extremely clunky client interface. User guide is here.

Steam Achievement Manager allows you to fiddle with your Steam Achievements in case they break (or you want to cheat). Made by our very own Gibbed.

TikiOne Steam Cleaner gets rid of the DirectX and similar gubbins Steam insists on downloading. Nice way to get rid of a few megabytes of junk.

Idle Master is an automatic card idling app from the dude behind Enhanced Steam. Saves you from manually checking when you've already got your cards and changing the game you're SAM-idling. Leave this running overnight, and you'll find a pile of cards to sell for Gabe Dollars in the Marketplace. Warning: ruins your time played records, for the two people who care about those.

Other general good apps for all PC users: Keepass saves your passwords securely, Netbalancer allows you to lower network priority to big downloaders (less of an issue since Steam has introduced download limiting), Defraggler defrags your files and hard drives (don’t use on your SSDs, it’s worthless for them) and CCleaner cleans crap off your PC (don’t use the registry cleaner, it’s worthless).

FAQs
I have a problem!
As a general rule, always do the following:
a) If it’s a specific game that’s having problems, right click the problem game > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity
b) If that doesn’t work, or if it’s a client issue, shut down Steam, go to the Steam folder, and delete/rename ClientRegistry.blob, then start Steam up again.

How do I un/reinstall Steam without losing my games or settings?
If for whatever reason you need to reinstall Steam (for example, because deleting ClientRegistry.blob doesn't do poo poo for you, or because a Steam Client update has gone horribly, horribly wrong for some reason), or want to uninstall it but save your game files for a future installation of Steam, this is how you do it:

Logout & Exit out of Steam. Make sure its process isn't running anymore by checking with the Task Manager.
Go to where you've installed Steam, the default directories are usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam, C:\Program Files\Steam or C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam.
Move the folders named depotcache, SteamApps and userdata out of the Steam folder. The first folder keeps your pre-load files and information about what you have installed (thanks for the info, gibbed!), the second folder contains all of your downloaded game & source modifications files, the third folder keeps your local copies of Steamworks' Cloud-enabled games' savegames and screenshots, plus stuff like external shortcuts for non-Steam games you've added manually.
You might want to also move the skins folder if you want to keep any custom skins, though if you haven't done any modifications to them you can just reinstall them later. Also, if you want to save any custom files in your Steam folder like custom Grid Icons or any external apps, be sure to move those somewhere else as well.

After that, you have two options. Either you use Steam's uninstaller:
• Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel
• Open the Add or Remove Programs dialog
• Select Steam from the list and click the Change/Remove button
• Select the Automatic option and click Next
• Click Finish to uninstall Steam
Or, you can manually remove Steam:
• Manually delete all of the remaining contents of your Steam directory. BE SURE THAT YOU'RE NOT DELETING ANYTHING YOU'RE GONNA BE MAD ABOUT LOSING LATER!
• If you need to clean out your Windows Registry (YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING), go to Start > Run and type in regedit.
• For 32-bit operating systems:
- In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\.
- Right-click on Valve and select Delete.
• For 64-bit operating systems:
- In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve\.
- Right-click on Valve and select Delete.
• In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam.
• Right-click on Valve select Delete.
• Close your Registry Editor.
After that, you can just reinstall Steam and move the "evacuated" folders back to where they belong.

The Steam client seems really slow!
Try this: launch the Control Panel, go to Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings and uncheck “Automatically detect settings”.

Uplay doesn't want to work.
Since Assassin's Creed 2 in 2009, the vast majority Ubisoft games (with a few exceptions, such as Rayman Origins) require you to run them through Uplay. The problem is that Steam automatically downloads horrible old versions of Uplay which for some inexplicable reason refuses to update to the newer, noticeably less horrible version. The solution to this is to download Uplay first. It's a requirement for almost all new Ubisoft titles, unfortunately.

Oh, and it has a nasty habit of eating save files, which unfortunately there's no real solution other than switching off Uplay's cloud sync features and praying. :ubisoft:

My client/Steam website has changed to a foreign language. How do I fix it?
Sometimes Steam decides to change the selected language on its own. Nobody has any idea why. The easiest way to fix this, go to the Steam website and select English in the drop down box, as shown by this picture by Heran Bago:

If you have Enhanced Steam installed, there's an option to flag up when you're browsing a non-English version. You'll see the red bar in the picture, which automatically fixes this problem when you click on it. Another reason why Enhanced Steam is a pro-download.

Is Nuuvem dodgy?
No, they're legit. They're basically the Brazilian version of Green Man Gaming. Do note that they've started region restricting the sale of certain games, but it's nothing a VPN (e.g. Hola) pointing at Argentina and a PayPal account can't get around. As for the actual game codes themselves, they will indicate Region Locked keys in bright red text and will note when the keys are non-Steam keys.

Is G2A/Kinguin/G2Play dodgy?
Yes, very dodgy. These sites resell keys. They don't give a crap if said keys are stolen or fraudulent. You are strongly advised to avoid G2A, G2Play and Kinguin.

This game/DLC sucks/just went on sale after I bought it/is busted/. Can I get my money back?
Yes you can, so long as you've bought it within the last two weeks and haven't played it for more than two hours. If you're within these rules, full refunds are available, automatic and are (largely) quibble-free.

Should I buy this movie on Steam?
No, because you won't get a download, it's strictly steaming. Considering most of Steam's movie catalogue are the sort of zero-budget indie fare that's also available on Vimeo, VHX and GOG, you should go there since you'll (usually) get a download copy for your money.

Why can't I see the screenshots taken directly from Steam in this thread?
Short answer: Chrome and Firefox (and basically every other browser other than IE and Edge, because Microsoft's browsers are weirdos) block images served via HTTP on a HTTPS site. By default, Steam images are all served using HTTP, and you can choose to use HTTPS for these forums. There is, however, a workaround:

aba posted:

How to view Steam linked images via HTTPS connection

0) Skip if you trust me: Look into source of the page to find a link to some image which is not working.
1) Example from the first page: open http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/539646410295191903/BDB1BDE3A021DF201C673786E6FDF45ED6C56318/
2) Check that it works.
3) Now change protocol to HTTPS. I.e. https://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/539646410295191903/BDB1BDE3A021DF201C673786E6FDF45ED6C56318/
4) Confirm the security exception as you're a big boy and you know what you're doing.
5) Refresh the first page of this thread to verify that it's working.
Alternatively, you can just not use HTTPS to browse these forums. that appears to have been fixed :v:

And remember...

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
This game is really expensive/not available! Can someone buy my it from a cheaper country/where it's available?
If you're a member of the SA Goons group (see right at the top of the first post), there's a bunch of goons willing to trade you their cheaper/available games for PayPal and stuff. Ask them beforehand.
(If anyone wants to be added or removed from this list, drop me a PM or mention it in this thread)

US Captain Invictus (may be able to give an extra discount, see thread for details), Atroos, Master Odin, Ragequit, Morter, Darkest Lite, Beard Yawn, Witters, Liquid Courage, Pins, Cowman.
UK Lavatein, AirRaid, RoboJoe, Crashbee, Red Dragon, Dregan
EU Zone 1 Zedd, Smol, Palpek (travels between zone 1 and 2, ask beforehand)
EU Zone 2 Saoshyant, Tecman, Xabarin
Australia Red_Fred, KuroKisei, tehsid.

Any Goon recommendations for curators?
Ignoring the alumni (TotalBiscuit has how many followers?), there's CueZero's Cue Review and Shalinor's Glass Bottom Games. Give 'em a follow.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 2, 2016

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

razorrozar posted:

Isn't the weed emote going for like $50 or something ridiculous?

Good OP, Delusi, thank you.

It's not the dumbest priced emoticon by a long shot.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
The weed emoticon, for the record, is only selling for about :10bux: these days.

PowerBeard posted:

We've now 3 Steam Threads, yet UPlay and Origin get no love. :(
If there's thread that you think is missing, :justpost:.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

lordfrikk posted:

Might wanna add the info on gifters, I believe it was still up to date.

Aye, good shout. Stuck it at the top of the second post for my editing and your linking convenience.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

PowerBeard posted:

I believe you only need to install Company of Heroes (New Steam edition) as it will detect that you have the expansions and add that content.

Pretty much. New Steam Edition is based on Steamworks, while the others are based on a matchmaking system that was shut down fairly recently. Cast the other Company of Heroes games into your Pit of Hades and never touch them again.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

PowerBeard posted:

There isn't a :stare: big enough.

There's a surprisingly large number of games that are unavailable in Steam in Japan. Amusingly, most of the games published by Japanese companies are unavailable in Japan, including Sega and Capcom.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

lordfrikk posted:

I might be wrong but isn't that because they distribute it themselves in those countries? Or maybe not themselves, but definitely not via Steam.

It's probably because the PC market is so looked down upon over there. Not entirely sure why they don't even sell their stuff in the English only digital only form.

^Oh yeah, and Metal Gear Rising is one of the new region-locked games where you'll have to VPN to activate the game.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm installing Deadly Premonition but I recall there was some kind of issue with the PC port? Has it been patched up or is there a recommended 3rd party patch/fix I should be using with it?

AFAIK resolution is fixed to 720p. Also it's buggy & unstable, but that was true of all the other versions of the game.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Phenotype posted:

Why on earth isn't Mass Effect 3 on Steam? I actually thought it hadn't been ported to PC at all until just now.

EA wanting to push Origin, so they're refusing to put any EA games on Steam since Dragon Age 2.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

l33t b4c0n posted:

So this is at the bottom of the latest beta client notes:

Anyone know anything about this? I'd like more of my media tied in to Steam, but I'd hate for it to just be some half-assed competitor to iTunes or Google Play or Amazon.

Right now, it's only a music player, and I think it’s a bit naff.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Rirse posted:

Did Steam just die for anyone else? The store frontpage loads, but both the old and new communities are down and I can't sign in now.

Yeah, it looks like Steam's community servers has croaked. :frogbon:

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Xseed Games presents a description of the many, many brick walls they had to headbutt through in order to bring an old Japanese PC game up to modern standards.

Also confirmation that they intend to patch in hi-res assets from the PS3 version after launch. :toot:

^ Wasn't Sims 2 the one that demanded that the expansion packs had to be installed separately and in release order? At least now it's just one download & install.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Accordion Man posted:

There's also the Tropico series. 3 is a fun game and while I haven't played 4 I've heard its also just as good. Haven't really looked for opinions on 5.

The main problem with the Tropico series is that since 3, there hasn't been a lot of difference between them. 5 is apparently basically 4 with the Modern Times expansion and some tweaks, and not worth the extra money over 4 Collector's Bundle.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Rirse posted:

Was this always a option in Steam or something just added to the new beta?

You can view categories in the giant image mode now.

Yeah, that's fairly new in the beta.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Davincie posted:

is it possible to sort multiple games into catagories at once

That's actually one of the things that's been added to the Steam Client beta.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Lance Streetman posted:

The store page calls it an "arcade hack 'n' slash" so I think they weren't exactly trying for ARPG mechanics.

So, essentially it's the inverse of Dragon's Crown?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
It's time for another batch of Greenlight games!

In other news, if the best reviews you've got are from Polygon, Kill Screen and fuckin' Indie Game Magazine, and that's what you're promoting your game with, I conclude that your game is rubbish.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
I'm impressed by how well Trails in the Sky is doing. It's stuck to the Steam top 15 like gum on hot tarmac all week, and now the Midweek Madnesses have been replaced with kinda ropey weekend deals it's back into the top 10 again. I don't recall any of the Ys games doing this well on their respective launches, before you even consider the increase in competition since then. Sure, it ain't no Divinity: Original Sin, but for a localisation of a 2004 PC game, it's probably well into "here be dragons (made of money)" territory on Xseed's charts.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How many actually good JRPGs are on Steam? Last Remnant could qualify, perhaps, and then there is Trails in the Sky and... ? Is that it? It's a niche that hasn't really been fulfilled.

That's true. You can probably argue that Recettear would qualify as a JRPG, then there's all the Zeboyd Games' stuff, and you can probably argue that, port issues aside, Final Fantasy 7 & 8 would qualify. Also, the Ys games, although they're more action than RPG. Oh, and I guess Wizardry 6 through to 8 should be mentioned, given that series had a similar impact in Japan as Rogue did in the West.

That said, with the possible exception of Recettear, I don't think any of them have done as well as Trails in terms of money earned on Steam.

[Edit] And in "where the hell did that come from" news, CS:GO currently has 175k players and is third on the bestsellers list. It's gone from being the black duck of the Counter Strike franchise to becoming more populated than Team Fortress 2 (and second only to Dota), despite costing money up front. It's an impressive turnaround, to say the least.

[Edit 2] Hell, the most popular list is PC Gaming As We Know It: Dota 2, Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, Football Manager, Civilization and a game made by a seventeen year old.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 3, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Fun fact looking at the stats screen: there's currently more people playing Spacewar, the Steamworks test game (2,321) than is currently playing Saints Row 4 (2,320) or Wolfenstein: The New Order (2,187). Or Trails in the Sky, for that matter (1,995).

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Davincie posted:

how much are these bundles? i don't see a price anywhere

Basically, it's an increasing minimum, with all the games rising the minimum by $0.50 each (with the exception of Isomer and Fall Weiss, which add $1 each). So, it's possible to buy a pair of games for a dollar. The entire thing is $6. Naturally, you can also pay more.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Male Man posted:

As a corollary question: if I own neither which should I get, or should I just play FUMBBL?

Honesty? Unless you want to get into a group that plays Cyanide's version, stick to FUMBBL. Chaos Edition adds a few more teams, and in my opinion it isn't worth the upgrade price if you have Legendary Edition. For new players, though, you might as well grab Chaos.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Here's an interesting Humble Bundle Weekly:

$1
One Way Heroics
Unholy Heights
Gigantic Army

$6
Ys Origin
Pixeljunk Shooter
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

$10
Astebreed
Only duff one here is Mitsurugi. Everything else are very good games.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, the Steam client beta has added a new feature: hiding games. :getin: It's under the Set Categories menu, apparently.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Altran posted:

Anyone tried fm2015?

After 5+ years of buying the game when the number goes +1, I feel I can skip this one with using custom databases for fm14.

Also, why there isn't a football manager thread here?

No, because FM2015 isn't out until November. :v:

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

echoMateria posted:

In celebration of this weekend's Comic Market in Japan, we are having a sale including many Japanese indie titles at http://store.steampowered.com/sale/japaneseindiefestival

Check it out if you would like to grab some indie titles at record discounts.

How bad am I if I admit to owning all of them bar four? :ohdear:

Astebreed is cheaper on the Humble Weekly Bundle, and you'll get One Way Heroics thrown in as well. Those two and La Mulana would be my main picks from this sale, although I recall reading that World End Economica was pretty decent (warning: it's a visual novel. AFAIK it has zero objectionable content, but it still has lots and lots of :words:)

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Geokinesis posted:

Hey US goon, learn how to use roundabouts properly:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/307740/

I have no idea why they haven't region locked that to just the UK. :shrug:

(This is the one time that I'll defend region locking. This is largely useless outside of the UK)

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, the folks over at SteamDB has uncovered a bunch of new features coming in Steam Store v6. Steam Guard working with Google Authenticator, anyone?

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 12, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, the Japanese side of Playism is taking pre-orders for the new Touhou game. Huh. While this doesn't mean an official localisation is immanent, it does make me think that someone received a big bag of money.

In any case, that does mean there's little excuse for :filez: in this case, especially considering that it'll probably get a fan translation into EFIGS within 24 hours of launch.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
In New Steam Store news, it begins! Sort of. Official game groups are being scrapped in favour of being able to "follow" a game. Not sure how it's going to affect games which gives bonuses for joining the game group (e.g. Payday 2). Also, it looks like they're going to be using small, easily-missed icons to indicate if you already own a game. But yeah, it's coming, and it looks like it's going to be soon.

PostNouveau posted:

Is the new Steam client update going to make it respond in less than 2 minutes every time I click something? Or is that just my lovely computer?

:frogon: How lovely is your computer?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, it appears that Overkill just announced that they're doing a Walking Dead co-op game.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Apparently, new currencies are being added to the Steam Store on the 20th. That would be a decent time to start testing the new Steam Store.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Opinion on the Humble Bundle: all of the games except for KickBeat are pretty drat good, and KickBeat is very mediocre. Worth beating the average, at least.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Teddles posted:

I came back from Japan, where Steam displayed in dollars, two weeks ago. I'm in the UK now, and until yesterday Steam kept on using dollars.

Now it's in yen :iiam:

You're stuck in the Japanese store, which has literally just rolled out yen pricing. Naturally, a bunch of big publishers, Valve included, has forgotten to set a yen price, making their wares unpurchasable. :downs:

To switch back to the UK store, go to https://store.steampowered.com/?cc=gb

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
And now all of Ubisoft's future games has disappeared from the Steam store here in the UK. Guess they inked a new exclusivity deal with Game or something.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
If there's any games that deserve the tag "walking simulators", it's Chinese Room games. They strike me as the sort that think that gameplay gets in the way of their ~*art*~.

And in other news, anyone want to actually buy a Choose Your Own Adventure game?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Games added to "Jumbo" Humble Bundle:

Legend of Grimrock
Pixeljunk Eden
Orcs Must Die 2 Complete

I already have all of those. :v:

Probably will throw in a dollar for Van Helsing, no point going for six dollars just for Terraria.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Aksys has seen some of the sweet, sweet PC gamer moolah that Idea Factory Ghostlight is getting, and is now going to wade into the arena.

By porting MindZero.

Hey guys? How about you convince ArcSys about a PC port of the new Guilty Gear, eh? Or how about a 999 port?

(Apparently, it's nowhere near as terrible as its reputation suggests, as long as you recognise that the ending is non-existant and that it's wearing its Persona influences on its sleeve. But still, there's a good number of Aksys games that I'd far rather see)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

FadedReality posted:

Speaking of games on the cheap, the Night Dive Bundle just went live a bit ago on Bundle Stars.

For :siren: loving $3.49 HOLY poo poo :siren: you get:

System Shock 2
Bad Mojo
Wizardry 6, 7, & 8
Harvester
7th Guest
The 11th Hour
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Shadow Man

Get on that, folks. Excellent deal.

• Locked thread