Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Has anyone with Hero Siege Early Access tried out the online multiplayer yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Goon thoughts on Unturned and Royal Quest? Neither seems to have much press.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Xaris posted:

Just FYI, Space Run is a really great and well done "TD" that's on sale right now and worth $7.50. It's not quite a standard TD and does a lot of interesting things with the genre but it worked well. Definitely is something that could tie you over until Defense Grid 2 drops in price from $25 to something cheaper.

Thanks for pointing this out, I've had my eye on it for a while.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

How is Forced? It looks like some really fun local co-op but the 72 Metacritic rating and the fact that almost nobody on my friends list has played it makes me dubious.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I'm really loving Spintires, it's the offroad driving I've always wanted and never had in a video game. I haven't been this impressed by new video game tech in 10+ years, the way the terrain deforms and mud piles and splatters, the way trucks accelerate and slide and dig in to the earth, and the feeling of being alone in some crazy Russian truck in Siberia is awesome. It's atmospheric as hell, looks great, and runs well even on my 5 year old computer. Now if they would just marry the driving to a GTA or Just Cause..

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

UltraVariant posted:

Good night, folks.

:suicide:

What a slippery slope of poo poo we are sliding down. drat, I was looking forward to that game too.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Why the hell wouldn't they give JC3 multiplayer? There was never a more perfect game to co-op or just mess around in...even the mod in the empty world was a blast.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Awesome! posted:

lol when you walk up to the first town in lords of xulima theres a guard who wants to shake you down and you can fight him. the fight is actually against 4 guards and they will wreck your poo poo. game is not loving around with dialog options.

I like how easy it is to die or starve or whatever. The game seems so generic and bland at first glance but it's been super addictive for some reason. I'm playing Stick of Truth simultaneously and it's so easy by comparison it's just a bore and I've mostly stopped.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Testekill posted:

All Terraria clones that were rushed out to beat Starbound to release are poo poo. Except for Signs of Life because that's pretty batshit insane.

Speaking of Starbound, is it going anywhere? I played Terraria to death and need more.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I think I'm getting old, Wolfenstein New Order just overwhelms me with camera shake and particle effects and EXPLOSIONS. I had the same problem with other recent FPSs I've tried, there is just so much going on all the time and I'm running around spastically firing in random directions trying to figure out where the hell I'm getting shot from because everything is visual noise. I miss when it was just rooms and crates and maybe some hookers :mad:

Then I find something like FTL or Space Run or Terraria and just play for hours.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I see Hero Siege is up for a vote. Despite being janky and unpolished it's one of the funnest, most addictive games I've played in the last few years, especially co-op. It's like a weird mix of tower defense, bullet hell, and RPG. Definitely worth a buy, and the developer updates it fairly regularly.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Kin posted:

Does anyone know how the digital versions of warcraft 3/starcraft are over at Blizzard? I've got the original disks for them somewhere but gently caress knows where, so i figure getting the digital versions would aleviate the hassle.

Also, is there a reason why Warcraft 1 and 2 don't seem to be available. Like are Blizzard just distancing themselves from them from a brand perspective or are they notorious for not working on modern systems or something?

I plugged my WC3/SC keys into my Bnet account so I wouldn't lose them and they've worked fine for years.

I emailed Blizzard asking where I could buy Warcraft 2 because it's probably my all-time favorite game and they told me to look for a used copy on ebay or amazon. It runs great with dosbox on Windows 7, I beat it every year or so.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

RhoA posted:

Well that's a shame. Hopefully the new devs will keep with it. It was a fun quick mech game that definitely kept my attention better than MWO did.

Hawken was the most fun I've had with an FPS since Wolfenstein ET, sucks to see it poo poo out like that.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Fractured Space is pretty drat fun, even though I still don't really know what I'm doing. For free, definitely worth a shot.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Silly goons, Dredmor and FTL are amazing and awesome. FTL especially, there's nothing quite like it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Lowness 72 posted:

So I know its basically our only option but how is RBI Baseball ? Like reasonable to play or just so buggy you hate yourself?

Is this the descendent of RBI Baseball for the NES? Because man I loved that game but I haven't played a baseball game in like 20 years.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

mr. nobody posted:

edit: hero siege

Yeah, this or Terreria

Or Towerfall Ascension

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Is Void Space fun? It looks kind of fun.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Orv posted:

There are a lot of space games with Void in the name, but no Void Space.

Void Destroyer? It's not bad, but not my cup of tea.
Kinetic Void? No.
VoidExpanse? Get Space Rangers instead.

Oh, meant Void Expanse. Sorry.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I just read the Steam thread to stay up on important video games.

Even though I just end up playing Hearthstone all the time anyway.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

New Carmageddon is pretty sweet so far. It really nails the feel of 2 while fixing a lot of the annoying stuff. Haven't tried multiplayer yet though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Broforce is really amazing. I just can't believe how fun and satisfying and over the top it is. Every time you die you're just laughing, and the co-op is great. Best purchase of the sale (although Shadowrun:Dragonfall is pretty sweet too)

mr. nobody posted:

(Wolfenstein: New Order)

My one real complaint about the game is the sequences where you're stuck in the hideout/base and have to play fetch and recover various items, it feels so forced and breaks up the 'shoot everything' other, better parts of the game.

Yeah, those parts were a drag, although the old Wolfenstein dream levels were awesome.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Awesome! posted:

i hadnt thought about that in ages

uber_stoat posted:

I was smart enough to bail on Dexter after the second season. once again, if you watched that poo poo til the bitter end, complaining every second, you the crazy one, sucka. embrace your lunatic nature.

maybe you thrive on hatred. maybe you... are a demon. it's you, you're the demon.

Eternal hope and optimism

Edit: you also missed some great stuff in 3/4/5

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I loved the hell out of M&M Clash of Heroes but it's the only M&M game I've played. Are there any others that are like that, and good?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Drifter posted:

If you liked Clash of Heroes isn't Defender's Quest somewhat partially like that? Not in gameplay, but in rpg/tone et cetera.

I'm sure something like Puzzle Quest or Sequence might be more up that alley, though. Maybe Battle Nations

Played the hell out of Defender's Quest and Puzzle Quest. I'll check out the other two, thanks!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I hate big cities in games. Even Bethesda hubs are too much. Great, I have to spend an hour navigating boring dialogue trees until I can get back to killing and exploring

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Zombie Samurai posted:

Majesty 2 is a lot of fun for a bit if you like building games, but I kinda fell off of it when it started getting hard.

Yeah, it could have been totally fantastic, but instead was just ok. I had a great time with it until it just got stupid hard, but I still had hours of fun before that point.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Palpek posted:

I finished Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. Overall it's a pretty good puzzle/light tactics game and I had a lot of fun with it. It can get hard later on and my first impressions during the battle against the final boss was that this is some loving bullshit but then it turns out it is doable when you actually know what's coming and use the proper artifact. Still hard as balls.

Overall two thumbs up.

Yeah, loved the hell out of this game and hope we get a sequel or something similar at some point. The DS version was hilariously unbalanced, I only played the PC version a little at a friend's place, maybe I should pick it up again.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Zombie Driver HD has been on my wishlist for a while so I picked it up today. It owns pretty hard! If you like car games with lots of guns and explosions and kill combos and upgrades, definitely recommend it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Sober posted:

Eh, maybe it's just me personally but after a certain while the open world-ness of most open world games loses the appeal other than the sheer scale which is about the only thing that impresses me ultimately. GTA, SR, AC, I could name most of them really are sort of the same after I'm done with the story modes and the side activities and stuff are nice distractions but they're short lived. Recently I've just been enjoying clearing the map of icons if only because I have something to do while listening to podcasts but I dunno if it's that I prefer scripted/handcrafted content (open world or not) over mindless fuckery where most open world gameplay doesn't really support emergent gameplay that well anyway. Or that I don't feel the urge to poke and prod the systems to see what I can produce.

The scale is stupid too. GTA3 was just about right in the amount of space to mess around in because the world was detailed and places felt unique. Now open world games are just miles of boring.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

You Must Build A Boat is pretty awesome. It's an insanely addictive match-3 that a goon recommended a long time ago and is finally on sale.

I spent about 3x as much time playing games this morning as I intended because of it :(

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Geokinesis posted:

Apparently a month ago Carmageddon: Reincarnation got a patch that fixes and optimises the performance a lot so people can actually play it with reasonable PCs!

It is pretty fun and has silly gore like the old games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZnZF2pUb8c

I can confirm, it totally captures the fun of the old games while getting rid of a lot of the old jank that was frustrating.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Cleretic posted:

How? Well, I'm coming at it with an analytical eye. Which I've been doing the whole time, trying to really take in what does and doesn't work about it; I didn't come into the game WANTING to hate it, but I knew that I wasn't going to be able to just take the changes they made to the formula. So I really tried to come at it critically, working out what does and doesn't work about it. It started as me making mental notes for a mod I might make eventually, then it expanded as I found more issues than 'I don't want baby, I hate baby, stop giving me baby dialog'.

It slowly descended into hateplaying over time as I started getting more and more annoyed at the poor design choices. Like I said, I enjoy the base gameplay so that's keeping me going, but I've also noticed that I have to play in much shorter bursts than I'm usually capable of with Bethesda. Like, I can maybe do one quest a night before getting too frustrated to continue.

what the gently caress

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Anyone played Armello? It looks fun but I haven't seen this thread talk about it which means it's probably mediocre?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Monopthalmus posted:

Haven't played it (wish list). But the podcast Three Moves Ahead (which owns) dedicated a whole episode to it if you'd care to listen. https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/armello

Sweet, thanks.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Terraria isn't actually anything like Minecraft, I'd recommend giving it a go.

Yeah, Terraria with chill friends is the greatest thing ever. I've played through the whole game countless times at this point because it's just so fun.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

resistentialism posted:

Rocket league 4 pack fits that bill for the next 2 days.

Also has the side effect bonus of being the funnest game of the last 10 years or so.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Ziggurat looked pretty cool, got to the first lame-rear end platforming-miss-a-jump-run-back-to-start room and went the gently caress back to Rocket League

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

kuroiXiru posted:

The latest version of the new Carmageddon game is on Steam now. I'm two hours in and it's pretty good. Feels exactly like the original two games.

Yeah, they have. AFAIK you just buy whatever you want whenever you want, since prices are static for the duration of the sale.

I got it free for backing the Kickstarter or whatever. It's super fun so far. I love running over wheelchair people :v:

Is it a sequel or DLC for Reincarnation or what? I didn't even know they were making another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Dungeon Warfare is a kickass TD game. He clearly borrowed a lot of trap ideas from Orcs Must Die, but it's top-down like Defender's Quest. Violent, funny, addictive, challenging. The maps are varied and well-designed. Even if it ended right now I would totally have my 2.90 or whatever value out of it. The screams of a harpooned hero being dragged into the abyss are worth it alone.

• Locked thread