Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Was cruising through TCC and saw the current Vaping thread here and also one for using the devices for actual drugs. So I decided that instead of making GBS threads up their thread, it'd be better to start it here

Disclosure: I smoke cigs and weed so it's not an issue of "Eww why would you put that poison in you?"

I must be missing something here. I know that in the last few years, vaporizing with regards to smoking weed and other drugs has gotten more popular and mainstream. Medical MJ I'm sure is a big point here, and the availability of devices at headshops and such also. I get that there are reasons why vaporizing is "better" for your body that outright smoking. Put that together with using MMJ for its effects without causing additional damage and risk, and that makes a lot of sense.
CIgarettes have been poison for a long time, can be tough to quit, are not allowed in certain places. It makes sense that technology has caught up and gave us the e-cigs as a device to help with cessation and quitting and cutting back. Patch, pills, gum, etc, the e-cigs are the newest generation of that and I know people that switched from real cigs to e-cigs and have quit. Excellent!
Another use of the e-cigs is for smokers that need to go for extended periods of time where they can't smoke... work, travel, concerts, bars, etc. I myself have tried snus when I had to work and knew it would be several hours between breaks. Again this makes perfect sense as an alternative

Since the first few e-cigs were introduced, they looked like real cigs. The next step was ones that are slightly larger and obviously not a fake cig, but what, like ballpoint pen sized? These I see out and about, in bars and on the street.

What I don't get however is when the devices are going beyond the relatively simple paradigm of a "replacement for smoking" and into the realm that the above thread is all about. Multiple devices, the technology in them, trading them? Is it a modern replacement for pipes? Are there vape bars like hookah bars where people get together and hang out and smoke? These devices don't look cheap, theyre not really small or concealable. Do you take it with you and just puff wherever you are? Do you use it at home like an old timey business man who would come home and have a cigar after work? is it the flavorings and variety that turns it into an actual hobby like wine tasting or any other collecting?

(And here's the part that kept me out of just asking in the original thread) Is it just another thing that is hip right now, part of the whole move for everything to be hipsterized and to act obnoxious about because you can? Is it a fad that accompanies some of todays other harmless and dopey fads like bacon and weirdbeards and PBR? I really don't mean this to come off snarky "Oh look at that douche puffing away", I am genuinely curious what it's all about, and no intention of making GBS threads on another man's hobby and/or what makes them happy, especially since this is all harmless to others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
people like vapes because they don't smell like poo poo, so even if some douche is vaping it up at the bar at least you don't have to smell it. when you clean up you don't get a bunch of smelly poo poo on you either

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You can get almost any flavor imagineable for your vape.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
They also save a ton of money, by evaporating the weed at specific temperatures you can extract more of the good stuff without destroying it, as fire does. Vape bars are exactly what they sound like, they exist because not everyone wants to spend $800 on a volcano, but still wants to try one.

E: and as far as the culture surrounding it goes, that happens with literally everything. Everything people buy/like/hate grows a culture.

Aggressive pricing fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 18, 2014

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Gadgets are a thing some people obsess about. The people I know who obsess about vaping tech also obsess about sound systems and/or do molecular gastronomy poo poo at home.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
I've used one for over a year now as a replacement for cigarettes. I mean, I love the act of smoking but at the end there I absolutely hated the taste of cigarettes and how they made me feel, both directly after and then later when I had to do something simple like climb some stairs. I also loved smoking from a hookah so that's how I describe a vaporizer: a delicious portable hookah that you can smoke whenever and wherever you'd like. There is probably going to be some awful way that it's killing me but since smokes were killing me anyways at least I feel healthier on a day to day basis vaping.

I haven't seen anything about a vaping culture where I live, or maybe I did and just ignored it because it sounds like dumb hype.

AN ANGRY MOTHER fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 19, 2014

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

I've used one for over a year now as a replacement for cigarettes. I mean, I love the act of smoking but at the end there I absolutely hated the taste of cigarettes and how they made me feel, both directly after and then later when I had to do something simple like climb some stairs. I also loved smoking from a hookah so that's how I describe a vaporizer: a delicious portable hookah that you can smoke whenever and wherever you'd like. There is probably going to be some awful way that it's killing me but since smokes were killing me anyways at least I feel healthier on a day to day basis vaping.

I haven't seen anything about a vaping culture where I live, or maybe I did and just ignored it because it sounds like dumb hype.

What do you carry when you're out, when do you hit it?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Ruby got Railed posted:

I carried a small one, the size of a normal cigarette, when I used it to help stop smoking.

I, however, did not pull it out where ever the hell I wanted to and smoke it up. Doesn't matter if it is real smoke or not, it just avoids some stupid people making a scene over it.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

Ruby got Railed posted:

Sorry, vaporizer being the larger ecigs with a battery and tank. So I carry it with me all of the time, just like I did with smokes. And I hit it pretty much all the time, wherever I am. It's funny, with smokes I would step outside maybe once an hour and have a full one, but with the ecig I hit it every five or ten minutes. But since it's just a puff or two instead of being a full cig's worth it probably evens out somewhat. Some days I don't know if I even want it for the nicotine or if I'm just compulsively smoking it for the candy flavour.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

mrwuss posted:

I, however, did not pull it out where ever the hell I wanted to and smoke it up. Doesn't matter if it is real smoke or not, it just avoids some stupid people making a scene over it.

I've never made a scene over it, and i think they are way better than cigarettes, but it's still kind of annoying when some dude whips it out in whatever random restaurant IMO.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
When I used mine to stop smoking, I only smoked where I would smoke anyway in public. I'd sometimes get curious looks and people asking about it and I'd tell them a bit about it. I didn't have any weird flavors or anything but it helped with the physical motions of smoking. It was nice to not stink as much for dates and at home too.

I didn't really consider it a 'hipster' thing when I did it, I just read a bit about them online and thought it'd be nice since nicotine patches didn't really work too well for me.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

andrew smash posted:

I've never made a scene over it, and i think they are way better than cigarettes, but it's still kind of annoying when some dude whips it out in whatever random restaurant IMO.

Yeah, my university just banned the use of e-cigs indoors because dumbass students would use them in class. Exhaling a cloud of vapor every couple of minutes during a lecture is annoying and distracting for everyone else, doubly so when the student decides to argue with the professor about it because it's not smoking. Now they're just kicked out of class and fined.

As for weed vaping, it has been a thing for much longer than e-cigs have been around, and people do it because it's both healthier and more efficient than simply smoking weed. Those vaporizers just heat weed to a temperature that releases the psychoactive compounds without combustion. The newer e-cig style vapes using glycol don't seem anywhere near as efficient, but are portable.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I switched from smoking cigarettes to an E-cig. The little ones that looked like cigarettes did nothing for me, but I got into mechanical mods through a friend about a year ago, which has been a much better fit. Getting a larger volume of vapor satisfies the habit of smoking much better for me, plus I love the whole DIY element to it, it's fun to geek out over the new mods and stuff.

It's getting unfortunately cracked down on super hard, but yes most vape shops (at least in NorCal) were basically set up fairly lounge-like, and people would hang out and vape. There are "Vape Meetups" at shops on a weekly or monthly schedule usually, where people go and exchange knowledge, chill, vape, usually try other people's juices/new juices at the shop, there would sometimes be raffles for new mods. Because of the relatively simple process of making mods and "e-juices", for a lot of people it's their hobby as well as their smoke.

I used to take it with me everywhere, but nowadays I pretty much just vape at home or at a friends house who isn't going to freak out about it due to the dumb laws people are getting passed. One of the things for me is that I've been stepping down how much nicotine I have in my juice, at this point I basically just have a little nicotine in there because I think a lot of the flavors I like don't taste quite as good without whatever the nicotine does to them.

I also exclusively vaped extract instead of smoking weed for a bit, but I found it's really just not the same without the full range of terpenes and switched back to smoking plant matter.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

surc posted:

usually try other people's juices

gay vaper spotted

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!
I am the douchebag vaping on the bus, in the bar, in your workplace or in your restuarant.
:feelsgood:

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

andrew smash posted:

In situations like this, I'll still use it (though much less frequently), but I'll just hold the vapor cloud in my lungs for a few seconds. The longer you hold it in, the less visible vapor there is, so it's not distracting to anyone. Unless you were actually watching me use my ecig, you'd never know it was happening.

That being said, I take great care not to be a nuisance to other people with my vapor. Most people still don't know what it is, and if they do, they may not even recognize my gear as an ecig. Situations where ecigs are forbidden, I'll either forgoe or use snus, instead.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
It must really suck to not be able to go a half hour to an hour without ingesting nicotine. It's not even like it's a good drug, the pleasure derived is almost entirely from preventing withdrawal.

I mean who cares because they are just killing themselves and it doesn't really bother other people like smoking does but you still have to admit that's pretty pathetic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Scald posted:

I am the douchebag vaping on the bus, in the bar, in your workplace or in your restuarant.
:feelsgood:

And you're why they'll be banned in a lot of public places like cigarettes in the near future. Hope you liked being a pariah.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AlbieQuirky posted:

Gadgets are a thing some people obsess about.
I grew up with a father that smoked heavily, so I've never beenbig on the act or smell of smoking.

I stared looking at vape pens a month back and it seemed neat. Then I realized that it was still smoking and I was mostly interested in the gadgety aspect of it. :clint:

I think most people are interested in the tech being somewhat personalized. Having greater control over the experience is a big appeal.
Not being a douche that spreads smokersmell everywhere is a nice plus, too.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
As a non-cigarette smoker, I do not understand why vaping is being banned from certain places. Is it just a matter of "people putting things in their bodies that I don't like!"? I was very supportive of a lot of the restrictions put in place for actual cigarettes because of how harmful they are to people who aren't the user, but banning portable vaporizers in public seems like more of an authoritarian morality decision instead of a public health one.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's a newer thing and jerkoffs like to do the whole 'IT'S SAFE SO I CAN VAPE RIGHT NEXT TO EVERYONE IN A THEATER' thing ala Glassholes so it's going to lead to public outcry and bans in non-smoking areas.

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.
I have pretty bad asthma and use medical weed for intractable nausea and
a) it works better and is cheaper than pills in my experience/area (the pills even after my insurance are a lot more expensive than the med shop, who knew)
b) I don't have asthma attacks at all when vaping as opposed to smoking.

I'm also really happy about e-cigs because now I can actually hang out with my smoker friends without there being a problem at all. I think that's more a happy point for them though to realize a lot of people weren't pissed at them for smoking, they just actually did have problems with the smoke itself for whatever reason. It's also nice to be able to vape around my friends without them having to worry about smelling like pot for a drive home or something.

e: also my house doesn't smell like smoke! And my smoker friends can hang out inside and vape and it doesn't gently caress up my house!!! woo.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Stanos posted:

It's a newer thing and jerkoffs like to do the whole 'IT'S SAFE SO I CAN VAPE RIGHT NEXT TO EVERYONE IN A THEATER' thing ala Glassholes so it's going to lead to public outcry and bans in non-smoking areas.

Pretty much. People had been vaping inside on my campus for years without any issue, because it was mostly former smokers and they limited it to a quick puff in the halls while running to their next class or just went outside and joined the smokers for a longer session. It's apparently become popular with the straight-edge weeaboo crowd though, because over the last year the number of people sucking on dildo-sized e-cigs that look like a lightsaber handle or sonic screwdriver has risen significantly, leading to the new policy. They'll sit in class and purposefully exhale huge clouds of vapor so they can smugly say, "I'm not smoking, it doesn't even contain nicotine," when people complain. No one cares that it doesn't contain nicotine, they just don't want a smug nerd exhaling clouds of sickeningly sweet vapor (it's always a cola or candy flavor) on them every 3 minutes for an hour and a half.

I dunno, I smoke and vape both, and I just try to be considerate of others about it. I'll ask if it's okay before lighting up in front of someone I don't know just in case they have asthma or other respiratory issues, I won't smoke around children, and I don't smoke tobacco indoors at all with the exception of bars that allow smoking and even then I'd prefer to step outside to smoke. Similarly, the only place I'll vape indoors without asking permission beforehand is my own house.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Arri posted:

As a non-cigarette smoker, I do not understand why vaping is being banned from certain places. Is it just a matter of "people putting things in their bodies that I don't like!"? I was very supportive of a lot of the restrictions put in place for actual cigarettes because of how harmful they are to people who aren't the user, but banning portable vaporizers in public seems like more of an authoritarian morality decision instead of a public health one.

A lot of people just don't like clouds being exhaled around them, whether it's actual smoke or not. I vape on my lunch break on the busy midtown Manhattan streets and every once in a while I won't see someone coming up from behind me and accidentally blow vapor in their faces. Sometimes it gets me a dirty look. I don't use it anywhere indoors except my apartment, or anyplace outdoors that wouldn't allow smoking, like parks.

Someone mentioned legislation against vaping in California. There's actually a bill that's been passed by the New York state senate to ban the sale and manufacture of e-liquids in the state. I wrote my Assemblyman and the Governor about it, about how vaping helps people quit smoking and how the bill would close over a hundred small businesses in the state. Actually got a response from the Assemblyman saying he's planning on voting against it. If it passes the only e-cigs allowed will be the lovely disposables you can buy at convenience stores. I'm not sure what I'll do if it does pass. Maybe get one of my coworkers that lives in Jersey to order them for me.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It wouldn't give anyone else cancer if I ate a garlicky bouillabaisse in class, either, but that wouldn't make it any less rude. Smelling up an enclosed public space for your own satisfaction is kind of a jerk move.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

I have pretty bad asthma and use medical weed for intractable nausea and
a) it works better and is cheaper than pills in my experience/area (the pills even after my insurance are a lot more expensive than the med shop, who knew)
b) I don't have asthma attacks at all when vaping as opposed to smoking.

I'm also really happy about e-cigs because now I can actually hang out with my smoker friends without there being a problem at all. I think that's more a happy point for them though to realize a lot of people weren't pissed at them for smoking, they just actually did have problems with the smoke itself for whatever reason. It's also nice to be able to vape around my friends without them having to worry about smelling like pot for a drive home or something.

e: also my house doesn't smell like smoke! And my smoker friends can hang out inside and vape and it doesn't gently caress up my house!!! woo.

To be fair, I'm somewhat of a fan of it for this, assuming what you're exhaling is actually inert. I'm cursed with an actual allergy to pot, so not having to deal with pot smoke because stoners don't have the common courtesy not to smoke up in public would be great.

I give no fucks if they want to get high so long as it doesn't require me to deal with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arri posted:

banning portable vaporizers in public seems like more of an authoritarian morality decision instead of a public health one.
As a few folks have noted, its often the jackwads throwing smoke like they're ninjas escaping into the inky dark that give it a bad rap

US culture has swung way around, to the point where smoking in places isn't as welcome as it was in the past. Walking by someone bellowing smoke out of their face is really weird now. Even if it is a perfectly neutral vanilla scented vapor trail, you think Oh Gawd Smoke?!

A secondary reason is, I believe, the popularity of eWeed (like waxes or liquids) making it hard to distinguish between a vape and a guy totally getting high between classes man. We're conditioned to think that cigarettes and thick bong ripz produce different amount of vapor.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Smoking laws are kind of ridiculous anyway, I live down the street from a beach/park and there's no smoking allowed, but people are allowed to bbq. Tiny cigarette that makes enough smoke to bug someone 3' away, ILLEGAL! BBQ that sends a massive cloud of smoke rolling down wind for 50', perfectly fine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Maybe you should do a little research into the combustion byproducts of tobacco and charcoal.

I'll give you a hint, one of these is more likely to cause lung cancer from secondhand exposure than the other.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Aggressive pricing posted:

Smoking laws are kind of ridiculous anyway, I live down the street from a beach/park and there's no smoking allowed, but people are allowed to bbq. Tiny cigarette that makes enough smoke to bug someone 3' away, ILLEGAL! BBQ that sends a massive cloud of smoke rolling down wind for 50', perfectly fine.

maybe they got tired of shitheads tossing butts on the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Maybe you should do a little research into the combustion byproducts of tobacco and charcoal.

I'll give you a hint, one of these is more likely to cause lung cancer from secondhand exposure than the other.

Yeah, that's not the point, also second hand smoke is a problem in enclosed spaces. People working in restaurants and offices breathing in smoke for hours a day, for years. No one has gotten cancer from someone else smoking in a park.

mrwuss posted:

maybe they got tired of shitheads tossing butts on the ground

This is a legitimate problem, I've never met a smoker who doesn't see the world as an ash tray.

• Locked thread