Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
why do youtube embeds sometimes have full screen button and sometimes not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

wheres the cyberpunk name thread

i'm starting a business and i need it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i don't understand why people think the plank length means the universe is made out of voxels

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i literally, actually do not understand

it seems wrong to me but thats based on my dumb intuition of the universe being a more elegant place than that, not physicsfacts

i guess electricity comes in discrete packets so why not movement

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i would try changing the resolution to see if i could make it redraw everything but i am no expert

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

whats the name of the website that just streams photos people post to twitter?

i think it had fart or butt i nthe name

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

cmykjester posted:

I have a friend who recently had her motherboard blow up (because her idiot friends made her a lovely ricer PC) and I was just wondering how powerful a PC do you actually need for programming? I was under the impression that you could just used any lovely thing for programming classes.

it depends on what you are programming but if the answer is not "data mining" or "3d games" you can literally use anything

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

how hard is it to put linux on a mac laptop? is it the same amount of janitoring as a normal laptop?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i just don't understand mac hotkeys and i don't want to learn

but most of the good dev jobs give/make you use a macbook

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

how much computing power do i need to virtualize a hadoop cluster?

i don't care about tflops or anything, i just want to do it as a learning experience because i am sick of not having hadoop on my resume

my school spoiled me with a matlab instance with 128gb of ram so i never had to deal with cluster computing but as it turns out industry people care deeply about the 'doop

edit: the context for this is i am thinking about building a new PC and this might be a target if it is reasonably attainable

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i am probably going to do this tomorrow at work and see how that pans out

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

pesky signals getting in the way of my noise

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

macs

just

work

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

my wife got an iphone 5 and she wants to put music on it

i will be cold and in the ground before i put itunes on my goddamn pc. how do i put music on this garbagephone without hurting the computers i care about?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

its just that i know i will use it once an then 15 new process will just run all the time forever as a result and that upsets me irrationally

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Valeyard posted:

this happens on photoshop a lot too, if you select a part of an image and "new layer from cut" it leaves thsi really weird trace of where the image has been cut. or if you select and then delte, it can have teh same effect. I think it happens more often on low res images, but never found out why

probably because you're granny lassoing instead of copy/masking like you should

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

spideroak's windows client is really slow

some of it is the encruption but most of it is just that it is a real bad client

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

so itunes is saying photos on my ipad are taking up 3 gigs, whereas my ipad is saying they take up half a gig. based on the space remaining, i think itunes is right, so what is my ipad thinking?

i dont know anything about steveboxes but it seems like transcoding/downsampling images without telling the user is something that would fall under the heading of "just works" so maybe its that

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i have a lenovo t430u and in light of all of the recent news I want to reinstall windows on it

can I do something to make the SSD keep working like a cache?

right now there is some behind-the-scenes stuff going on that chooses what to put on it, and i'm pretty sure it is not big enough to be used like a normal OS disk

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

if i paste this
code:
function dateAdd(date, interval, units) {
  var ret = new Date(date); //don't change original date
  switch(interval.toLowerCase()) {
    case 'year'   :  ret.setFullYear(ret.getFullYear() + units);  break;
    case 'quarter':  ret.setMonth(ret.getMonth() + 3*units);  break;
    case 'month'  :  ret.setMonth(ret.getMonth() + units);  break;
    case 'week'   :  ret.setDate(ret.getDate() + 7*units);  break;
    case 'day'    :  ret.setDate(ret.getDate() + units);  break;
    case 'hour'   :  ret.setTime(ret.getTime() + units*3600000);  break;
    case 'minute' :  ret.setTime(ret.getTime() + units*60000);  break;
    case 'second' :  ret.setTime(ret.getTime() + units*1000);  break;
    default       :  ret = undefined;  break;
  }
  return ret;
};
into the console and then paste
code:
        // These will eventually come from config json
    var configStartday  = 1 // Monday
    var configCalWidth  = 5 // No Weekends
    var configCalLength = 3 // Three weeks at a time
var startDate = new Date(Date.now());
    console.log("Now: " + startDate)
    startDate.setDate(startDate.getDate()-startDate.getDay()+configStartday)
    console.log("Start date: " + startDate)
    var endDate = dateAdd(startDate, 7*configCalLength, 'day')
    console.log("End date: " + endDate) 
chrome can't get past var endDate = dateAdd(startDate, 7*configCalLength, 'day') because "TypeError: undefined is not a function"

what is going on here? I really hate and don't-understand js so don't assume anything about this example

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

posting so i can namesearch this thread to see if i have asked thing before

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i upgraded to an SSD not too long ago and it worked fine for a while

but a couple weeks ago my computer went down (idk if it was power outage or sleep timer or what) and when i tried to turn it on windows gave me a 0xc000000e error (The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.)

now it does this every time i try to turn it on.

BUT if i change the port the SSD is plugged in to, it boots up normally. once.

is this a bad ssd or is it my motherboard or what?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i can get into the bios, but it didn't have anything about secure boot or uefi which is what i was expecting to have to change

my mb is an asrock n68c-gs fx

i just remembered i found my windows 7 cd a couple days ago so i will try the recovery route next time it happens

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

yeah i literally bought this computer for 200 bucks like 4 years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if it is the mobo

i am mostly just trying to figure out if that is definitely the case or if i need to return this ssd to newegg.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

return the ssd to newegg regardless and put the money into the fund to buy an entire new system that is not garbage

money isnt the problem here i just dont really care about upgrading

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

whats a good place to buy game controllers for pc? i have a bnunch of steam games now that are not v good with wasd+mouse but i haven't bought a controller since like the 90s and my computer doesnt even have a game port anymore

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The alternate "upgrade" path that vendors keep suggesting is that instead of using the 40mbit scsi interface I instead use the alternate 19.2k (not 192, 19.2) serial interface and slap an IP bridge on that and they swear up and down it will perform fine but gently caress you I can do basic math, you're on a 10mbit backhaul and this thing can easily burst up to 5mbit when something bad happens and I'm not losing data for your sale

control systems are sooo cool but i can not begin to imagine the horrors of doing anything other than greenfield projects in that sector

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

youtube buffers really slowly in chrome, but if I switch to firefox it loads fast as gently caress. anyone know what might cause this?

i uninstalled all my extensiopns except for linkclump, tampermonkey and ublock and honestly if one of those is causing it i' m just going to switch to firefox

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

also i just got a really good new computer so it isn't a hardware issue probably

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

the bufferring graphic i'm sure is bullshit but lately chrome has been reaching the end of the buffer before the video is over a lot

i just disabled QUIC and it seems better but only time will tell ty

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

the word "balun" might help you google

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

that happened to me once with a laptop that had some weird problem where the updates had to be installed in a certain order

google your laptop info + problem update and someone will probably tell you what to do

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Has our society reached the point yet where it is possible to buy a functional color printer that will work for more than three weeks?

I need a color printer but I have been burned by a lot of printers in the past.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

mishaq posted:

if your ~*use case*~ requires more than occasional color printing you'll have to shell out a lot for a deecee color laser
Yeah, this is the problem. A friend of mine has a laser b&w that works great and I would happily buy one of those brother machines if I just needed to print stuff but my wife has to print color pages every thursday and there isn't any print shops by our house so it is a huge pain in the rear end

its pretty rad that ityool 2016 there is still not a five-golden-egg color printer on newegg with enough reviews for the eggs to mean anything

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

re:printerchat

my wife went out and bought a cheapo brother inkjet from the nearest big box store so i think the problem will be solved by me returning a printer every 14 days

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

fishmech posted:

my thinkpad x61 has keys on the keyboard that do page forward and page backward in browsers. how can i disable this behavior

they're right next to the up arrow key, so they;re pretty annoying

whenever i have a keyboard or lovely laptop that has bad buttons I just install autohotkey and remap/disable them

it is pretty overkill but i use autohotkey on the regular anyway for crappy repetitive tasks so it makes sense for my purposes

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

what does your system look like that that weird, hacky shell extension was not the immediate, obvious culprit?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

context menu looking like win98 start/programs after three years of shareware p:cgaming:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i would love it if erlang replaced the loving 15-second spin-up of all of these loving ephemeral java turds i have to use every day to cluster compute

idk why those apache morons chose java and then designed a process that emphasizes the gently caress out of all of javas worst qualities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

kalstrams posted:

installed dad