Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

hey that looks ok but what the gently caress is git other than a derogotory term for an old dude

use octopress, host it on heroku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

I think that 'K' means no hardware virtualisation so all your vms will need special drivers or something I don't remember.

K = unlocked but no VT-d they do have VT-x tho.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

flatten & reinstall

oh wait it's a Mac

buy a new one

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wow it's great that this mac thing just works

imagine having to roll your own mouse drivers that would be crazy huh? thankfully on mac everything is working out of the box

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i like logitech hardware but their software has always been garbage

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

do i7's do vt-d?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lol amd

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mediamarkt is trash for garbage idiots

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

buy a 5s while you still can

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

5c is for poors

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

CIFS is linux-ified SMB and they probably did it wrong

yeah you don't know what you're talking about.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

My current venerable desktop runs on:

I have the max 8gb on the board, is there any processor I can buy to fit this board that will give me a significant performance bump to put off building a whole new machine, or do I need to bite the bullet?

you will not get a significant performance bump from upgrading your processor

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

iirc the P35 has SATA 2

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

prefect posted:

what is it/what does it do? :confused:

looks like some decoupling and filter caps

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

it's supposed to reduce the signal to noise ratio according to a product page I found through reverse gis

it's a bullshit product and it cost $100 lol

it's like $5 in parts maybe

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fyi the easy-rsa scripts included in openvpn have the key length set to 1K by default.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

fyi the easy-rsa scripts included in openvpn have the key length set to 1K by default.

:nsallears:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

install linux

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

i dont or he doesnt? if you meant me, care to explain the difference? genuinely curious, not calling you out or anything

cifs isn't "linux-ified" smb

old rear end smb v1 was created at IBM way back then Microsoft took it and expanded on it and used for a long time. this was reverse engineered by the samba project and so became basis for many open sores implementations. Later Microsoft came up with an expanded version which they called CIFS. In their own words this is a "dialect" of smb with symlink and hardlink support and such and this has been in use from. Most notably it doesn't require NetBIOS anymore. They released specs of this so it could be implemented without reverse engineering.

since Vista/2008R1 iirc Microsoft uses SMB v2 which is much improved and much unlike smb v1/cifs

Most server and implementations can negotiate down if they come across a peer that doesn't support the higher versions

On Linux there was the smbfs driver for a long time provided by the samba project but that is fairly integrated into the whole samba toolset and isn't maintained anymore, on Linux you should use the "cifs" driver which is newer and actually maintained

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Swolegoat posted:

what r some tite settings for my 66u?

block SA so we don't have to read your posts anymore :xd:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

raruler posted:

PS/2

forever and always

interrupt based better than polling for MLG pr0 g4m1ng

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DNova posted:

clonezilla

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

and use DRBL multicast so you can image several pc's at once :pcgaming:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

the ones i have? 2.8ghz p4, 1.5gb ram, 40gb hd. they're total unusable poses but people will pay outrageous sums for them.

i'm sure that'll run an old cnc just fine

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

prefect posted:

i am not well-versed in matters of security, so i come here seeking wisdom. here's the scenario: you have a server running tomcat. it's got apache configured to do reverse-proxying and https-serving magic. is the traffic between apache and tomcat essentially available to anybody who can log onto the server?

one person is saying tomcat should be set up to do https, and then apache (also doing https) should reverse-proxy for tomcat, but that seems weird to me and kind of overkillish

thanks for any help you can give :tipshat:

this is true to a point because for most scenarios you'd need root access but why would you need to protect your webserver from your local users? the point being is that you should never allow untrusted users to log in anyway

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

graph posted:

i dont fuckin know linux is bad and giving students root is cool and good

id wipe it and start over obvs but LOL NO ONE KNOWS WHATS ON THERE~

Boot a live cd, mount the filesystems, get the data off, flatten & reinstall.

I've fixed all kinds of boot issues and yours is highly likely recoverable but it's too much :effort:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

itunes is bad don't use it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

is it normal that my kernel_task uses 500mb

just kill it you don't need it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

hey everybody,
I have a site hosted on windows 2012. Users that are on IE8 cannot view the SSL page that's on this site, they get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

- other SSL sites on other domains (example: amazon login page) load fine
- non-SSL sites on the same host load fine
- the users are in hospitals etc where ie8 is the only browser they can use

what do I do

easiest way for it babbies is run it through qualys

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

tell them to stop using XP

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

oh, graph, i see the context above now about the hospital with lovely clients... i was just shitposting. so the ask is specifically about IE8, is the hospital also only on XP still? cuz that's their fault that their clients are trash garbage, and if that was my env i would reluctantly enable RC4 but this is my personal website for posting images and other garbage apps just for me sooooooo

no you should use 3DES

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here's a site i configured earlier today: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=honeyned.nl&latest

It runs apache so it's missing a few minor tweaks I like to do that do work on nginx but other than that I'm happy with it.

gently caress XP

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

our dba is adding host entries to the dev server and then trying to ping from the desktop and wondering why it isn't working. kill me.

a dba a couple of jobs ago had one huge fuckoff tnsnames.ora with entries spanning multiple sites on multiple continents on a smb share that he mounted on all clients so they'd all have the same one. Of couse the server hosting the share failed one day breaking all clients in europe

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you can use the TNS_ADMIN variable to point to a network location for your tnsnames file and its the only sane way to handle it honestly but lmbo if he didn't put it on its own share and set it to be always available offline or on a DFS share

~Oracle DBA's~

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I had my ISP supplied modem router set to bridge mode (i.e. modem only) but yesterday night it decided to become a router again so now my internet is broken and I have to call the ISP because I can't set it to bridge mode myself. :argh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

while I can understand someone defaulting to Comcast whenever there's a story about bad modems, in this case it's a Dutch ISP.

also it's not DSL but cable.

also also it's fixed now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

no like i said it's cable kpn doesn't do cable

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

my wife got an iphone 5 and she wants to put music on it

i will be cold and in the ground before i put itunes on my goddamn pc. how do i put music on this garbagephone without hurting the computers i care about?

use a vm

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

suffix posted:

i once installed itunes in a vm and it kind of managed to connect to my lovely ipod over usb except really slowly, A+ would recommend

u need like special drivers for usb 2.0 to work else it's 1.1 but other than that a vm is deffo the wtg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

if you literally can't put up with itunes you are a grade a scrub fucko

You have Stockholm syndrome from all that ham software you use.