Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is there a coffeescript config file i can make kinda like compass's awfully named config.rb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is there a mouse like the magic mouse that is super duper awesome on PC? I assume the magic mouse is poo poo w/r/t right click vs. left click, so the magic mouse is probs poo poo on non-mac products??? is there a Good mouse for a internet computer man like myself. i will probably use it for coding and all that poo poo, i dont really play games anymore.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sniep posted:

i am a huge mac fan and i cant stand the magic mouse

the tragic macpad however is utterly amazing and i use it over any mouse at all at home

unfortunately it doesnt exist for windows, and the OS doesnt suit it anyway

i dont like the magic trackpad. i had it 2 jobs ago and it made my hand cramp up

my labtop's trackpad thing supports 2 finger scrolling which is pretty rad, but i just plug in a regular mouse all the time so i never even use it

now that i think about it, is there any benefit of magical trackpads over a mouse + mousewheel?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is there a way to make windows command prompt remember full history (or at least more than just from the current session)?????

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is there an alternative to coffeescript where regular javascript is considered valid? like how SCSS is to CSS, that is what i want

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pram posted:

yeah its called javascript

this worked! thank!

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kirk posted:

my clutch needs to be replaced but I dont want to do that

throw outur car and get a new one

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
how do you paste in Google's Hangout's App for iPhone device? I just want to use the new smilie keyboard but i dont know how to paste! this is upsetting me dearly.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
secondary question: how do you sort by column in itunes? i click the column and nothing happens. very good ui. it has a up arrow next to Artist so im guessing this feature exists????

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sweevo posted:

itunes is absolute dogshit

agreed

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
whats the best excel like software that's free and windows and whaterver. I just want to open a exxcel file so i can make it csv or a better format quick and easy. i also sometimes want to L@@K @ spreadsheets without having to dump it into a mysql to see whats inside. Thanks In Advance!

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

excel free trial from microsoft dot com

free trials dont count as free imo. what if i want to do a thing in one month plus one day?! hosed up.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

anthonypants posted:

google sheets is probably still better than openoffice or libreoffice or whatever

cool, this works good enough for me. thanks

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

holy poo poo this owns

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i am using vagrant on a windows (vagrant is running a ubuntu vm). how do i make the (vagrant ssh) terminal ui not poo poo? I dont want the unreadable blues for directories when i ls, and I want to be able to left click and right click in the terminal and have it actually do seomthing. is this too much to ask for a linux?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
drew owns. im personally not much of a fan of the aggrogator stuff, but I'm sure its a good money scheme just like those horrible meme sites that are popular nowadays. he gets a pass because his posts own and most of the internet stuff he does owns

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
how do i make itunes auto sync to my ipod when i have it plugged in? i have to manually press the sync button and its annoying when i drag and drop the newest justin beiber to my "sync" playlist and then i go out and the song isn't on my 'pod!

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I already have that checked apparently. itunes sux!!!

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
why the gently caress does my virtual box keep fresh booting to this poo poo:

i literally had it work and boot to the install thingy like an hour ago but now whenever i make a new vm w/ this loving ubuntu desktop iso, it just does this poo poo before i can even do anything.
this is why ill never be a sysadmin, its too loving annoying

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lol holy poo poo thanks

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

because you're too cheap for vmware

when i am using a linux, i expect my virtual machine software to be free as in freedom

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is there anyway using windows explorer.exe to sort files based on a custom function? like i want to rip out a timestamp in the filenames using regex and sort on that. is this possible in the most advanced operating system in the world, Windows 8.1?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

anthonypants posted:

use that function to rename the files and then sort by name, sure

man, that requires effort on my part. batch is too annoying to use and there's no good programs to regex without taking more time than its worth

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i lost my iphone 5s in a different state of the US of A on saturday. how do i replace it? i can't stand the bullshit i have to go through at the sprint store. i just want to buy a new iphone and transfer my number over without having to pay a several hundred dollar tax for losing it in the first place. is it possible to do this without getting a new contract and not having to pay to get an unlocked iphone, seeing as how I'd tether my new one to my existing number anyway?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

anthonypants posted:

are you asking us how to make a claim against your cellphone insurance, or are you asking us how to purchase a new phone while cancelling your old one

i wanna purchase a new one and cancel my old one without having to pay extra money to get an unlocked phone. is this possible?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

anthonypants posted:

your carrier or your phone's manufacturer aren't responsible for you losing your phone, so unless you have cell phone insurance, you will be spending money to replace it

yeah i understand that, but it sounds like I will have to buy an unlocked phone as opposed to a locked phone. I have an existing contract with sprint and don't want to pay the extra unlocking fees on it since I plan to continue my contract with the new phone that I'll be purchasing. is there a way for sprint to smile upon me and not charge me to unlock this new one and just move my existing contract to the new one? I'm guessing my only options are to pay extra to unlock a new phone; or buy a locked phone, pay to terminate my old contract and start a new contract?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

do you need it unlocked for travel?

I don't need to unlock it. It just sounds like I am required by sprint to either terminate my existing contract and get a new phone with a new contract; or buy an unlocked phone and tether my old contract to the new phone. i dont really understand how this unlock stuff works other than you pay extra money to not have to get a contract w/ a new phone.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raluek posted:

"locking" refers to a phone only being usable by one carrier, it doesnt really have to do with your contract other than carriers usually lock the phone to their services until its paid off

an unlocked phone can be used with any carrier that the baseband radio can support

does sprint use gsm and sims? if so, just get a locked sprint phone and stick the replacement sim in. if it's cdma i dont know what the procedure is, but it seems like "whoops i lost my phone here is the replacement, attach it to my current account pls" should be a thing they can do? idk

holy moley thanks for this info. the guy at sprint just stonewalled me for whatever reason and was a complete rear end in a top hat so I hadn't gotten any of that information before walking out. this whole process should get much easier now that i undertwand it better. gotta try another sprint store this time tho

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Can someone post the youtube of the guy rapping about html5 and having clean code

i need this as well

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

anthonypants posted:

is that something The SEO Rapper did

this one isn't html5 but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0qMe7Z3EYg

Lol.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
my labtop is hosed up. it froze up shortly after i opened it. turned it back on and it started doing disk check. froze during flipping disk check and then shut off. turn it on and it says lenovo for a while and then turns off. turned it on again and it boot from my optical drive that i conveniently had a windows partition on (dont ask). i can win+e and see my other drive, but what can i do to figure out what is hosed up w/ it? i have it setup to boot from 1tb ssd and optical has 256mb ssd if that matters. running windows 8.1 and using chrome (chome :xd:)

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i can win+e and see all the stuff in the broken drive. im currently copying over all my important poo poo from one drive to the other. but the one drive just seems to be unbootable atm. the most recent boot up said it was skipping diskcheck and went straight to a windows update being applied lol. then i realized it was just booting from my optical drive

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i have a node server at work that has apis and i have to document these apis now. is swagger the best tool for this?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I am coding a nodejs that has clustering. because of the clusters, multiple ports are used when doing remote debugging. is there an easy way to make intellij idea always listen on all of these ports instead of just a single one when doing remote debugging?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shaggar posted:

stop using node

wh0a, just tried this,,, and,,,,,, it worked! :wth:!!!

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can't you put the chrome debugger in a nodejs instance and use that instead of idea

whoa maybe. i will try this after america day weekend. thanks

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
mac's finder is dogshit. what settings do i need to change to make it possible to go up a folder and to display files that have recently been created without waiting 2 minutes for it to realize the dir ur at has updates

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i have a problem w/ gradient meshes: SVG doesn't support them yet. Whats the best way to create a set of (x,y) points with colors for each, and then have whatever program automatically make a raster of the gradient mesh version of those points/colors at whatever width/height seems good to me? i don't want to do effort to get this done. Alternatively, anything that can parse and display SVG2 on windows would be rad.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

obstipator posted:

i have a problem w/ gradient meshes: SVG doesn't support them yet. Whats the best way to create a set of (x,y) points with colors for each, and then have whatever program automatically make a raster of the gradient mesh version of those points/colors at whatever width/height seems good to me? i don't want to do effort to get this done. Alternatively, anything that can parse and display SVG2 on windows would be rad.

holy fuckballs, i've been messing around with that for like 2 days and just realized imagemagick is a thing that exists and actually has this. why didn't it come up during my googling!!!!!
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/canvas/#sparse-color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I dont normally use nosql bc i tried it out for a while and it was loving garbage, but I've finally run across a database structure that is much better suited for it; very graph-like. I have a very hierarchical tree like structure starting w/ a single root node and making tons of leaves w/ more leaves, dividing into a million different structs, which then reference other leaves from other branches. what db should i use for this?? mongo cant handle it bc it has a limit for doc size. This db struct is probs going to be about 3gb as a bigass tree and idk what nosql trends have grown to be actually useful products. I originally tried to put it in a huge json string and just load it into mem when i want to browse it, but js caps string lengths to like 150mb or something and doesnt let u use up as much mem as u want for regular objects. buffers are the only way to bypass those mem limits. so im p sure any javascript based db's are not going to work