Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

enotnert posted:

if you're such an autist that you won "smartest kid in america" to get your own validation. . . I could agree with this.

. . . but hey fishmech, most of us just want a mobile device that actually works, and we don't have to plug up every 39.75383471384 minutes

so yeah, iphones are useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
also if you think having swap on your ssd will ruin it, you're either using a like 10 year old very early model of ssd or you're an idiot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

also I need one of those rack mount monitors that slides out and flips down so it only eats up 1U in the rack but I have no idea who makes them

i got one of these used a while ago and it was fine for loving around with an xserve:
http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/rw119-n-101.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
kindle voyage owns

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

my stepdads beer posted:

is this the paperwhite v3 or something

since amazon got rid of the "kindle touch" and made the plain "kindle" touch based, the paperwhite moved down to being the new midtier and the voyage is the new high tier.

currently you have "kindle" which is touchscreen based, no light, and i think still 800x600
the kindle paperwhite is of course touchscreen based, has light, and is about 1024x758
the kindle voyage is touchscreen+new side bezel buttons,has light, and is a 1448x1072 display which looks sweet as hell especially for pdfs

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
hey op have you tried plugging a regular usb keyboard into the thing so u can use the function buttons???

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ssds in raid 0 are pretty much pointless for anything that aren't servers

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

uncurable mlady posted:

i need win7 home prem iso, ms wont let me download it because its a dell key and not a legit ms one or whatever

i can pm you a legit windows 7 home premium key to use to download an iso if you want

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i think vmware player is free for personal use but it doesn't look like it has snapshots, is virtualbox worth looking into?

virtualbox works well enough 4 me

its too bad there's been like no progress on colinux/andlinux x64

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I have a beagle boner hooked up to my TV. I use it for VICE, linapple, and fastbox. It can't always maintain 30 frames. Would a raspi 2 b+ be any better for this, or should I just look for a laptop with a dead screen that can push 1080p?

a laptop with a dead screen that can handle 1080 is probably as cheap as an rpi2 these days.

the raspi 2 has basically the same gpu as the original rpis so its not tht great.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

i'm the one guy on the planet that will use the MIPS Windows NT 3.5/4.0 port

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
if you just need to open new posts in new tabs, use:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @id             jerkikosnewtabs
// @name           jerkikosnewtabs
// @version        1.0
// @namespace      
// @author         
// @description    
// @include        http://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @grant          GM_openInTab
// @run-at         document-end
// ==/UserScript==
var forum = document.getElementById("forum");
if (forum)
{	
	var button = document.createElement("a");
	button.href = "#";
	button.innerHTML = "Open New Posts in New Tabs";
	button.style.cssFloat = "right";
	button.style.marginRight = "8px";
	button.addEventListener("click", NewPostsInNewTabs, false);

var where = document.evaluate("THEAD/TR/TH[contains(@class,'title')]",
			forum, null, 7, null);
	where = where.snapshotItem(0);
	if (where)
	{

where.insertBefore(button,where.firstChild);
	}
}

function NewPostsInNewTabs(event)
{
	var eval, node, name;
	event.preventDefault();
	eval = document.evaluate("TBODY/TR/TD/DIV/DIV/A[contains(@class,'count')]",
			document.getElementById("forum"), null, 7, null);
	OpenTabLoop(eval);

return;
}

var i =0;
function OpenTabLoop(eval){
	if (i < eval.snapshotLength){
		setTimeout(function(){		
			node = eval.snapshotItem(i);
            node = node.href;
			i++;
			OpenTabLoop(eval);
            GM_openInTab(node);

},(i*3)+250);
	}

}

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

and now it just double opened tabs :wtc:

what extensions and scripts do you have installed

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

and now it just double opened tabs :wtc:

hey it turns out greasemonkey 3.0 which just recently came out has a bug that causes this in a buncha scripts, so if you install the greasemonkey 3.1 beta poo poo gets fixed

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

graph posted:

still better than any of the competitors

nope, 360's always been better :tipshat:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

as a daily user of both, nope

atv really nailed a functional remote for controlling a media device

xbox is too focused on monetizing you with poo poo and the xbone is horribad

actually nope

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

graph posted:

lol @ controlling a media center device with a loving video game controller

lmao

yeah thats normal

lmao at you being too stupid to own a remote

hell directv and comcast universal remotes support it on aux

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

either a vidcon controller or some massive star trek comcast cable box remote

perfection: the remote control

thanks for illustarting the apple remote's shittiness

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

processors running in 64-bit mode can only run 32/64-bit applications so if you have some crusty 16bit stuff you'd have a problem there, or your processor is 32-bit only so you have to (lots of legacy/embedded systems fall in to that category). for your use? no reason not to use it.

is there such a thing as 16 bit linux code?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

graph posted:

roku has interface lag

apple tv has interface lag

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I was just given a pentium III laptop to e-waste. To my surprise it boots and works. What should I do with a computer that has a working floppy drive?

mail it to me

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Would you mind if I shipped it without the battery?

you can ship it with the battery just fine legally. parcel select is cheap.

but yeah that would be fine too i guess? like does it not work at all, is that the thing?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

quality is poo poo, sorry. Its hard to take pictures in the kitchen this time of day.

http://imgur.com/tz0xIFy,E0Jd1cZ

You can PM me the shipping address. Depending on how much it costs I might not be able to ship it till next Tuesday.

sent you the deets.

i fuckin love old toshibas

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

I installed microsofts virtual machine

Got a bios screen a nd was all "thats p cool" and then just closed it because i have no idea what to do with it

attach a disk image to boot from

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

Tried win10 32 bit and it crashed. I think it may be because i can only allocate 3gb of ram but idk. Maybe i wull try a lunix later

are you using virtual pc from windows 7? i don't think it supports windows 10 at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
ty for the laptop sysv

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

is the wrt54gl enough to handle a 25mbit dsl connection with QoS rules or is the hardware too old to do it effectively? they're still skating by on a 200mhz processor but I really like the tomato firmware, but even the cheapo $20 tplink things that can run dd-wrt are coming with 500+mhz chips

it will handle it ok if you also don't need to do file transfer between computers on the network

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i solved my qos problems by just getting a 120+ down connection

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

if any file system is a zombie it's hfs+

how is that still alive

The 12 remaining Mac users

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

du -hast posted:

srs question: i am looking for the most lightweight linux distribution possible. but includes the kernel, bash, and a packaging system... the rest i can emulate through busybox. i am working on a linux distro (lol i want to die) for routing. if possible, is there a lightweight distro that contains: kernel, bash, basic package system (even if its an offshoot of another distros, in order to install basic tools). i am trying to avoid LFS if at all possible to save time.

also pls forgive me, i havent ever built a linux distro by hand unless it includes gentoo, and am a retard babby

doesnt crunchbang accomplish this?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

scamtank posted:

.flv seek times are loving miserable in any media player. skipping, say, eight minutes forward in a ten-minute video means a freeze, 20-60 seconds of all four cores howling at 100% trying to do something and then a fast forward over all the footage the media player missed during the load time.

the only mentions of the problem I can find are from 2003 or something. is there some magic bullet that I've missed

have you considered that the flvs might be in a poo poo codec for seeking

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

hey which free antivirus is the current "least lovely" option? i used to run microsoft security essentials b/c it was fast as hell but i guess they fell way behind on virus definitions

they didn't fall behind. you should still use it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
basically mse "fell behind" because a bunch of the other software started doing ovverly aggressive heuristic stuff that doesn't work effectivelly against anything but test sets.

is there a not-shady way to buy a laptop with a busted screen to use as a media pc? (the screen doesn't have to be busted obviously but i assume that will make it cheaper)

yeah, just go on ebay and search for laptops with broken screens

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

gtk

anyhow i partitioned 60gb (56 formatted) for my win7 install on my macbook air and all i installed so far is base os, mse, vs2013, and sql server 2012 and i'm already out of space after installing all the windows updates and patches lmao

loving ms are assholes for not releasing a second service pack and also a slipstreamed version

try doing update file cleanup with disk cleanup system files

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol

did that it cleaned up less than 1 gb

also noticed my windows\installer folder is bloated as hell, prob b/c of sql server 2012 and vs2013

gimme a windirstat picture of your drive to diagnose

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

that's a reasonable amount of space to be taken up considering what you installed tbqh

shrink your os x partition

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

agreed, lol that windows plus a few dev tools and ms office take almost 60gb to install

you just installed a whole os, and 3 of the biggest program packages on that os dude.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

ik, but still, the winsxs and windows\installer folders are combined almost as large as the rest of the os + program files folders. seems pretty bloated to me and my understanding is winsxs is only so big b/c they never rolled updates into an sp2.

luckily i had lots of free disk i could spare since my osx install w/ all my data is less than 100gb so i'm bumping it up vOv

winSXS isn't actually that big, it's a lot of symlinks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

fair enough, let's just say holy poo poo my windows folder is 30 gb lol and leave it at that

it ain't though. it's somewhere between 22 and 25 gb in actual space used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

maniacdevnull posted:

ATTN NERDS: recommend a good mouse for me

Must have fwd/back thumb buttons at a minimum, more buttons are welcome too. Must be wireless because I hate the weight of the cord, pref rechargeable.
I don't mind a wacky looking GAMER LIFESTYLE thing but bright lights that can't be disabled are out

Ok go and thx 1136 in adv

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570