Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

obstipator posted:

why the gently caress does my virtual box keep fresh booting to this poo poo:

because you're too cheap for vmware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SO DEMANDING posted:

dare we ask what sort of idiot hellfucker setup you have which involves lots of windows systems but no active directory?

i'm gonna guess it's a testing cluster for some install process that requires a fresh install but they don't want to just use a VM that they rewind for some dumb reason

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I just assume the number of autistic man hours that goes into that thread could keep tabs on every train in america for a day.

is it particularly fishmech-heavy?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
every time i think i want to get a nicer desktop computer the first stop is that thread and the second stop is https://store.apple.com

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

do Seagate external hard drives still fall apart? Amazon has a 5tb external Seagate on sale for $129 and a 4tb WD for $131. I know their reputation is not for reliability and the last Seagate I had died within 6 months taking my vast collection of Linux ISOs with it, but I also know WD puts lovely drives in their external boxes too.

if you need a reliable hard drive, get several, use raid 0, and don't neglect the thing

or join us in 2015 and just don't store all those files locally

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

my internal drives are a pair of 1tb hooked up in raid plus my main ssd, yes. this is an external drive for my steam library, mame library, and junk like that.

just

just

just let them go

gaben's not gonna delete all your poo poo, those pirated ROMs aren't going to get harder to find ever

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

lmao do not raid0 your storage drives especially externals jesus

ah poo poo got raid 0 and 1 confused

because

I'm not some dipshit janitor

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Why is the Gitlab logo so freaking ugly? Why haven't they changed it yet?

too busy trying to fix RCE exploits

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

my stepdads beer posted:

im playing with the amazon clod for the first time and it's taking 10+ minutes to spin up a new elastic beanstalk. this isn't very agile. elastic beanstalk is a bad name.

especially because they have a very very different product called "EBS"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

they were gonna use dban to wipe pied piper (startup ip) on the last ep of Silicon Valley

after a lot of gags they finally pulled the trigger and it failed to execute

tbf it was gilfoyle's hosed up hardware

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

obstipator posted:

I am coding a nodejs that has clustering. because of the clusters, multiple ports are used when doing remote debugging. is there an easy way to make intellij idea always listen on all of these ports instead of just a single one when doing remote debugging?

can't you put the chrome debugger in a nodejs instance and use that instead of idea

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

obstipator posted:

whoa maybe. i will try this after america day weekend. thanks

https://github.com/node-inspector/node-inspector

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=58133

how can I get in touch with this guy or change his user name so I can have my old user name back

*draws a pentacle and lights candles*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i summoned him in irc

"not sure I want to give 8 of my hard-earned dollars to Richard “Lowtax” Kyanka so that guy can get his username back"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

obstipator posted:

I dont normally use nosql bc i tried it out for a while and it was loving garbage, but I've finally run across a database structure that is much better suited for it; very graph-like. I have a very hierarchical tree like structure starting w/ a single root node and making tons of leaves w/ more leaves, dividing into a million different structs, which then reference other leaves from other branches. what db should i use for this?? mongo cant handle it bc it has a limit for doc size. This db struct is probs going to be about 3gb as a bigass tree and idk what nosql trends have grown to be actually useful products. I originally tried to put it in a huge json string and just load it into mem when i want to browse it, but js caps string lengths to like 150mb or something and doesnt let u use up as much mem as u want for regular objects. buffers are the only way to bypass those mem limits. so im p sure any javascript based db's are not going to work

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

obstipator posted:

I dont normally use nosql bc i tried it out for a while and it was loving garbage, but I've finally run across a database structure that is much better suited for it; very graph-like.

realtalk though: mongo is garbage, since you have a graph you want to store maybe check out a graph database like neo4j

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

I like mpc-hc because I can have more than one file open at once

lol @ vlc bunch of single taskers

i only have two eyes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

surebet posted:

the light that turn on when there's a hardware failure on my blackberry is green

green light of death

way to go rim

the hardware failure is using blackberry hardware after 2007

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kalstrams posted:

ive used postbox, it was definition of janky
i have year old budget tier acer laptop with poo poo cpu so my bideo james insist on closing browser
calendars contacts etcetera are irrelevant, i just want reliable notifications for incoming mail

maybe you should get a new computer

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

obstipator posted:

i have a linux. the linux has a bunch of php. I want the php to execute a node script using exec(). it gives error 126, permission denied. node got installed to root user bc node.

how do i tell php (www-data) it is allowed to execute node without making the server into a pile of garbage dumpster trash?

chown www-data:www-data /path/to/node
and
chmod 777 /path/to/node
doesnt give it permissions. i just want to run node script from php the correct way on a linux

what's the over/under on whatever you end up with allowing shell command injection?

'cause you're probably gonna have command injection problems lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i have a couple ubiquiti APs with a powerline backhaul and it's fine

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

is salesfroce a thing or do you have to make it into a thing first

its confusing as hell

i think it's software for people who say "i want software to do this" but don't understand that "this" is so you get a lotta consultants

and confusingly their thing is that they're not "software" but just software you pay monthly for

only good salesforce thing is heroku

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
flathead screwdriver

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i had to install the windows 3.1 drivers in a VM and see what DPI options it offered so i could set it correctly, lol

it still prints weirdly but i think its just a line spacing issue or some poo poo

pretty sure you can get the DPI for a dot matrix printer with a ruler and counting

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
how you hosed up your account is your fault

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764714

hey i care about phone encryption and court orders too and there's already https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764714 a thread for it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764714

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

why would anyone write malware that specifically disables ie and does nothing else?

that's not even malware, it's just software that respects the wishes of most computer users

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

My Linux Rig posted:

I think the software he was talking about was a malware scanner which means it did its job

oh hmm then, because malware scanners are bad and a sign that you have broken ideas about how computers work and also a bad OS

but the latter we knew because internet explorer is only available on bad OSes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

how do i do that though

venture outside of wikipedia to the dhcp client docs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

fuckin snapshots bruh jeez

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Syncopated posted:

I´m using my 8 year old laptop for a bit and the fonts on the forums are all hosed up. like pixelly or something, and some parts of the lines in the letters are thicker than others. its readable but annoying. All other sites look normal. I updated firefox, could it be Vista? idk poo poo

http://imgur.com/a/kQ1Ft
Like the text row under coffee ad here.

turn on anti-aliasing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

yes sony is garbage buy a macbook pro or air

wait until oct. 27 on those

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mishaq posted:

i think youre just dumb mate

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

gently caress i'm a idiot

we know

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Have an offshore account in Singapore or Hong Kong, then run away once you've ripped people off :)

he wants to sell stuff, not run a kickstarter

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah i bet you could gin up some "smart apartments" ("smartments"??) and cash in on the internet of trash fad

how much of a premium do you think you could charge some dipshit nerd for having one of those thumbprint/smart card readers on the front door

the last high-rise i lived in did in fact have an rfid reader at every entrance to the building

traditional keys inside but i bet that's because electric locks weren't cheap in 2007 when it was built

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

i don't have a print server but i do have a computer that is always on

this is a small business printer: the chances of more than one thing ever wanting to print at once is like once every 8 months

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laser-printer/ get the one with ethernet, it's 2ez to set up and works great

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

i thought people hated them so much they were justifiably called the "tragic macpad"

I call it that 'cause it's fun

I like to play doom with it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

what I don't understand is why the presence of an SD card so thoroughly torpedoes the windows installer's ability to format an unrelated hard disk :pwn:

because windows is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

it featured a search term that was extremely related to the problem

not everyone's hosed up on substance d like you, a little bit more connectivity could be cool