Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i have a RT-AC68U (asus) router and the 5ghz range does not get to the 2nd floor of my home

how do i get the 5ghz to the second floor of my home

external antennas? (the RT-AC68U has removable antennae)

some sort of 5ghz bridge or something?

i would prefer a solution where everything is on one SSID (i guess this would be the "bigger antenna" option) but it's not 1000% necessary

please help google is useless for this for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

5ghz doesn't go through floors and walls well just leave 2.4 on in parallel and devices will automatically jump over if the signal goes to poo poo

if you aren't happy with that then get one of those powerline networking things and get your router up on the second floor

thanks but the powerline networking thing wouldn't do anything for me because i actually already have ethernet going up to the 2nd floor, i just want the router in the basement for several reasons (fios coming into my house via ethernet, not coaxial, so i need to have my router near the fios ONT box; also i'd still want good 5ghz range in my basement/2nd floor/backyard).

i didn't know if there was some wacky powered antenna i could buy and tap it into the terminal on the router, or something i could place on the 2nd floor that would send out a 5ghz signal while not having to switch SSIDs and stuff

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Glass posted:

i have ethernet running up to the second floor of my house as well and what i do is run ethernet from the fios box up to the wireless router on the second floor and then a separate line from the same router back down into a gig-e switch in the basement

ty; it's a good idea and i could do that then the 5ghz signal would be poor on the first floor/basement/backyard tho. thank you though :shobon:

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah this would also work, I know people that swear by these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XXMUCQ/

it's 2.4ghz only :\

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah it's called get a second AP or a router set to AP mode, give it the same SSID and password

haha i had no idea that works (the "set the same SSID and password" thing)

is there a recommended AP around here? especially one that won't bottleneck this freakin $220 router?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Glass posted:

is there a compelling reason you're insisting on 5ghz? are you trying to blanket your entire house with 802.11ac?

unifi makes an ac AP but it's really expensive. personally i would put your existing router in the most central location where you actually need the speed and get a unifi or two to fill in the gaps around the edges (they support 802.11n so they're not exceedingly slow or anything)

streaming. there is a lot less compression on 5ghz

if i put the router on the 1st floor of the house i get lovely 5ghz on the second floor still. so there's no point in moving it up one floor.

i am not complaining about 5ghz; i know it's not supposed to penetrate walls, i was just wondering what the best 5ghz access point is without dropping another triple digits

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

i guess you said you need 5ghz for some reason so the 802-11AC ones are like 219 dollars on amazon each

i can just buy a 2nd router for that much tho

Nintendo Kid posted:

if you really want 5ghz on other floors, buy one or more replacement antennas on a long cord, and run that up to the next floor. you may need an amplifier with this.

this shouldn't cost more than like $60. you may need to double check that the antenna u buy supports mimo

i actually thought of this but there's 3 antennas on the back, i am assumning one is 2.4ghz, one is 5ghz, third is??

also if i extended the antenna to the top of the house then there's no antenna in the basement any longer? unless i can use a splitter or somethin

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
less compression artifacts, i was typing fast

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i've been flattening and reinstalling windows machines as favors for people since windows 95 and this is a completely new one for me:

it's a friends Toshiba laptop. the hard drive died so i replaced it and reinstalled windows 7. the laptop had windows 7 home premium (64 bit) so i downloaded and burned the iso from digital river (at a blazing 32kbps, only took 2 days) but the laptop apparently has problems reading burned discs. i really wanted to use the iso instead of his factory home premium disc because the burned copy had SP1 slipstreamed, but whatever.

anyway i formatted the HD and installed windows 7 home premium 64 bit and all the updates including SP1. i installed a bunch of drivers just fine, as well as a bunch of software (pdf xchange, 7zip, chrome, etc) without problem. however, iTunes and Office refuse to install.

they both spit out some crazy error i have never seen before. i would have chalked it up to Office being hosed up but iTunes refuses to install as well. i get "error 1935" in Office and halfway through installation it fails with that error and undoes any changes.

reading up for over a day and other people have had this problem, and some guide told me to change permissions for the entire C: or some poo poo. i did this and magically it loving worked! Office and iTunes installed fine. Except changing permissions on the entire C: hosed a million other things up (programs no longer had icons and other weird poo poo).

so i format AGAIN. this time i hooked up an external CD ROM drive thinking maybe the win7 disc i was using was corrupted (even though it was a retail, pressed disc). i get into windows after formatting, download all the drivers and updates again, and guess what? Office and iTunes refuse to install :smithicide:

i have never had this happen before, and i had just did the same thing to my dad's laptop the previous week so i don't know wtf. the only other thing i could find online was to uninstall .net framework which i did, but then when i tried to install other versions of .net framework, those installations fail as well!

TL;DR: formatted and reinstalled windows 7 twice and certain programs (Office, iTunes, .net Framework) refuse to install; other programs like Chrome, PDF XChange, 7zip install just fine

please send help

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

it's a friends Toshiba laptop.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
also they are poverty-stricken and the hard drive is being supplied by me for free so be gone with your Mac talk

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
thx

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

what is it/what does it do? :confused:

It doesn't do anything! That's the beauty of it!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-coffee-39-4-hdmi-cable-white/1267764.p?id=1218245464814&skuId=1267764

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i'm pretty dumb so please bear with me

i have a tower in my house that acts as a server for my plex stuff, as well as to use for backups of stuff and other misc junk. it's literally just a windows 10 PC with a bunch of hard drives in it. I don't even have a monitor hooked up to it

though it's mostly used for plex, i do put stuff on it that i would like to share on other devices. i've never had a problem accessing files from other windows computers but i routinely have a lot of issues with accessing files on certain apps on android, but not on others.

for example, kodi will not connect to my server about 70% of the time. yet X-Plore on Android has never once had a problem ever connecting to it.

there's another android video app that has never once been able to connect to it, despite the app showing "SERVER-PC" just fine, and me putting in the correct username and password when the app asks.

am I "sharing" the drives improperly? basically all I do is right click each drive, choose share, and allow access to it to anyone that knows the server's username and password.

I figured that was the most simplistic method but a ton of stuff still gives me problems when trying to connect to it. thanks, sincerely, a moron (me)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
by "server" I literally mean a tower sitting in my basement where I dump family photos/videos, TV shows, movies etc. It runs Plex and it's not like I am hosting websites or Halo 4 matches. I can't switch to Linux because it's also used for gaming stuff sometimes.

it's not even an android thing because as i mentioned, certain apps can access the drives/files just fine, such as X-Plore (a file browser app on Android).

kodi is the biggest culprit with refusing to connect. however, i narrowed down the issue.

i can connect just fine in Kodi if i put in the IP address of this desktop (the "server"). however, it absolutely refuses to find anything when i tell it to connect to the network. back in the day i remember it would say \\server-pc\ and let me browse to my movie folder or whatever. now, the only way i can ever get it to find my movies is by manually putting in the IP address.

so again i must reiterate, it used to work just fine.

i'd live with this but a few android apps do not let you put in the ip address; it wants to use the PC name, which is named SERVER. whenever i try to connect to \\SERVER in the app, i get a connection failure (even though it "finds" the server just fine).

so tl;dr version: other than with other windows 10 machines in my home, i cannot connect to my server by the server's username and password, but i can connect by IP address and password. i want to be able to do it via server/username name. please help me figure out what's wrong

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

yep, that'll do it

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=906089

figure out how to register that name on your router's dns daemon I guess

This would explain why I have no issues accessing it on other Windows devices but can't on android. excellent. i will try to figure this out, and i will probably reply 17 hours later after ripping my hair out asking how to do it. tyvm!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

yep, that'll do it

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=906089

figure out how to register that name on your router's dns daemon I guess

ok it's been 17 hours and i couldn't figure it out

i've googled it a shitload but no actual answers from anyone. just forum threads on other sites that lead to nothing

if someone can tell me how to do this on an asus rt-ac86u i'll buy you an account upgrade or something. it's worth it for the blood pressure that it would relieve

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

we've told you the right way to do it

if you insist on doing it the hard way, even after we've told you why it doesn't work, lol that's on you pal

i'm not installing linux, friend. it's also being used as a gaming pc, and i'd like to have sound, as well as play games

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
im not spending unnecessary money towards my desktop server because android will only connect to networks via ip address and not computer names, but thanks for the advice. i'll just figure out the router trick or stop caring (probably the latter)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

your problem isn't not having linux

well okay that is your problem but

the solvable part of your problem isn't not having linux, it's android not resolving \\SERVER to 192.420.69.1 cause you don't have a local dns

install a windows dns to resolve local names?

doing some googling it seems like that might actually fix my problem. i would have never came across that on my own so thank you greatly

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
welp I downloaded and installed SimpleDNS and everything is working completely perfectly now! :toot:

thanks a ton to those who pointed me in that direction! :cheers:

edit: also I have two nintendo switches and four docks

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 11, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
so what's the deal with windows and sharing files exactly? someone wants to share files between windows and android and they expect you to buy windows server 2019 if you want to watch your animes on a firestick? i mean i know what i am doing is "technically" a server but isn't that a pretty loose interpretation of the term here?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

windows desktop and windows server have the same kernel and same basic services for most things

they deliberately apply limits to a windows system identified as running a desktop edition so that businesses don't set up windows desktop hosts as file and print servers

those limits are insanely low and they are very easy to hit

this is also why microsoft dabbled with their "home server" product -- cheaper than the real windows server license, but differently-crippled, so that home users would enjoy it

ah OK, that makes sense. i guess to a simpleton like myself it seems funny they have SHARING SHARING SHARING all over the control panel and networking options only for me to be unable to stream Drop_Dead_Fred_(1991).mkv to my shield lol

thanks for clearing all this poo poo up for me, and for helping me fix it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

drop dead fred is an under-appreciated movie

ever since i had kids i get choked up at the end when the little kid is doing a pinky swear by herself and you see it's with drop dead fred :unsmith:

Perplx posted:

you should install plex, browsing files from windows share is so 2006

with media in plex and small documents in the cloud there isn't much need for windows shares at home

i use plex all the time. i do like kodi for certain shows like old SNL episodes where i wanna bounce around the episode at warp speed and plex lags a ton with that

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
DDF is one of those movies that has like a 3% reviewer score and 98% audience score

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I made friends with a new neighbor last weekend. Apparently he's related to a singer that died a couple years ago, and he's part of a private Facebook group for her. Apparently the admin of the Facebook group dropped off the face of the planet and he's scared all the videos that people uploaded to this group are going to disappear someday, and he wants to get all the photos and videos to her father on a USB drive for safe keeping.

I was able to help him out and get 8,000+ photos saved by using a Chrome extension, but I am unable to find anything that can grab all the videos. I tried 2 extensions for Firefox and 3 for Chrome, and all give me problems when trying to download all the videos (all of them downloaded all the photos just fine). I know there's add-ons that let you download the videos individually but this would take weeks as there's several hundred of them. Is there some sort of way to get all of these videos saved to a local hard drive without having to sit there and save them one-by-one?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I made friends with a new neighbor last weekend. Apparently he's related to a singer that died a couple years ago, and he's part of a private Facebook group for her. Apparently the admin of the Facebook group dropped off the face of the planet and he's scared all the videos that people uploaded to this group are going to disappear someday, and he wants to get all the photos and videos to her father on a USB drive for safe keeping.

I was able to help him out and get 8,000+ photos saved by using a Chrome extension, but I am unable to find anything that can grab all the videos. I tried 2 extensions for Firefox and 3 for Chrome, and all give me problems when trying to download all the videos (all of them downloaded all the photos just fine). I know there's add-ons that let you download the videos individually but this would take weeks as there's several hundred of them. Is there some sort of way to get all of these videos saved to a local hard drive without having to sit there and save them one-by-one?

Anyone

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vomik posted:

what leads people to meet someone and within 72 hours doing tech support for them for free

The fact that earlier in the day we were talking about car problems and he offered to help me fix mine for free? You know, poo poo neighbors do for one another?

Or maybe I should have given him an hourly figure when he asked if I could help him memorialize a dead teenager, idk. Thanks for the helpful reply.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 12, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector posted:

my desktop encounters a pfn error every time it tries to go to 1903 which is frustrating, the whole release feels messy. somehow a good desktop is unable to upgrade, but my cheap dell tablet from 2013 installed fine and in fact runs smoother so im loving confused here

I tried to update to 1903 for weeks and it didn't work until I unplugged all my USB hard drives. Who the gently caress knows why that worked but give it a shot. I didn't see that resolution listed anywhere. I couldn't even do the manual updates. But unplugging all my USB drives did it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i just had chrome crash on my windows 10 laptop. i rebooted and now literally everything is gone. all my bookmarks, all my stored passwords, tabs, add-ons, history; everything is completely gone. yes i know i should have that stuff synced but i didnt.

luckily my chrome/userdata folder is over 1GB so I don't think it's all truly gone (i hope) but i cant figure out any way to restore it. does anyone know how i can get all this stuff back?

I'm really hosed please help I've tried everything

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 9, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

look in your chrome folder for a bunch of bullshit, should be at %LOCALAPPDATA%GoogleChromeUser Data

your old crap will be in there somewhre if it is 1gb. copy it into the 'default' folder in that path and you should be good hopefully

then consider swtiching to firefox which is bad but not owned by an evil advertising company

gently caress I love you, thank you so much

I'm literally switching to Firefox now, I don't know why I ever left her

Thank you again. You saved my month

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The crazy thing is I wasn't even being lazy, I researched how to fix it for hours. Every guide I found just said to rename the default folder to DEFAULTold and it would fix itself but it didn't

Then a bunch of other guides said to right click the default folder and choose "restore to previous version" as if windows backup has ever been successful in anything ever (I do have windows restore on but it has never successfully restored an old version of anything ever)

Anyway thanks again!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
it's really weird too because im not convinced it was a chrome gently caress up. my computer hardlocked so i force rebooted it. that's when chrome wiped out everything. but what's crazy weird is that i opened qBittorrent, and that was completely "wiped" as well. what i mean by that is that it lost all my settings (preferred attribute views, preferences such as how many uploads at once, etc). in all my years of using it, that never happened, so something hosed up in windows must have happened. i thought maybe i was under some new user account but the account name remained the same. i am not looking forward to finding out what else got messed up. i have no clue what happened. my local win10 profile got "corrupted" somehow or something? if that were the case though i have no idea why more programs aren't back to default settings.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
my windows 10 desktop has an old slow spinny 1tb hard drive in it and i want to make a 100% exact clone to an M.2 ssd. i bought a USB to m.2 adapter to attempt this

i have both the old spinny 1 tb hard drive plugged into a different desktop, and the 1tb m.2 ssd plugged in. i went to use HDD Raw Copy Tool to clone the drive, but it put up a big warning that it cannot do exact copies of boot drives.

so i am googling a lot and cannot seem to find a windows program that will make a direct 1:1 copy and let me boot from the new ssd as soon as i plug it in. does anyone know if such a thing exists for windows? one of the programs i found sound it can do it only if i have access to a DOS computer afterwards?? wtf

is there any program that can do this? why can't HDD Raw Copy Tool?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you, I tried Macrium and my computer refuses to boot from it so I'm guessing it didn't copy the boot partition (it looks like it did) so now I'm trying it again but with a slightly different option selected. This is such a pain in my rear end!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Perplx posted:

also uefi is required to boot nvme afaik, if your windows 10 was installed in legacy mode you might have to reinstall

God drat it there's no way around that?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Perplx posted:

looks like mbr2gpt is the command, I haven't tried it i only mess with fresh windows images for work

thanks a million. that led me to this guide: https://insights.adaptiva.com/2017/configmgr-geeks-guide-mbr2gpt-exe-tool/

i'm not seeing any way to specify which hard drive to do it to though, unless i am missing something. i have the m.2 drive hooked up to my USB port on a working copy of windows; how the hell do i tell it to convert the m.2 drive instead of the C:?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
that's from within WinPE; i am doing it on an already-working windows install so i am using the first powershell method

edit: i ended up just burning a repair disk, i performed the conversion and now i get "INACCESIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" blue screens and gently caress this i give up

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 18, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

probably doesn't help at this point but don't both the m.2 drive and the hdd fit in the pc at the same time? makes it easier to do that way

I was able to make the conversion in the end but it didn't matter because windows still refused to boot the m.2 drive despite being cloned identically and I had to make the decision that I'd rather use a traditional hard drive over having to reinstall windows. It's the computer I use for all my plex stuff and movie and TV downloading so it was a major pain in the rear end to set up, and since I don't really "use" that computer (everything is automated on it) I just said gently caress it, I'll keep using the spinny hard drive instead of spending another 12 hours trying to figure out why I can't boot to this drive

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I tried bootrec and repair install and all that poo poo and it absolutely refused to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Perplx posted:

i think the problem now is that uefi needs and "EFI system partition" with the windows boot loader, which mbr2gpt does not make
its dumb i know, but when you make sure everything is efi native it all works better than legacy booting

Yeah I ended up just buying a regular 2.5" ssd and cloning the drive to that and it worked perfectly

I can't imagine the speed increase between a 2.5" ssd and an m.2 being worth that much aggravation. I seriously was at it for like five loving hours trying to get it to boot. What a waste of an afternoon