Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You are going to need some special tools because its apple. I can tell you that much. After that tighten some screws and if that doesn't work, replace the hinges with genuine Apple™ hinges.

ifixit is great for stuff like this btw.

i remember ads in the back of computer magazines for special apple tools people would sell you. i knew this would be coming

time to injure myself :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dolomite posted:

get it to do kegels, should tighten it up, op

as i was writing the stuff about its getting loose and tightening it up, i had a similar thought and kinda grossed myself out

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

du -hast posted:

look in your mom's rear end in a top hat, i blasted a whole tube of paste in there a couple hours ago

prob shouldnt try to remove it with a razor though fyi hth
            /

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I have a beagle boner

i am not googling that at work, so i need you to tell me what you're talking about. please :shobon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

so should i just tell her we need to slap in an ssd to get her email working

or is there a way to turn off dumb spotlight indexing

there is an indexing service that you can turn off

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i have my iphone's ringer volume turned all the way up, but when i get calls, it just buzzes. does that mean it's broken, or did i turn off the ringer somehow?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

did you move the little silent switch?

...apparently i did

i was wondering what that "button" did; i must have bumped it or something :blush:

thanks

i really wish this thing had come with a manual. i feel like the greatest american hero whenever i use it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Granbar posted:

got a problem with Firefox on Windblows 8.1.3459820358903294802938049283049820398409234982390409234

you know these things?

whenever I click them, or use other forums that have the same kind of feature, Firefox will jump to that post, but then it starts loading in every element on the page, pics and stuff, so eventually the post you were at is like a million mouse scrolls down on the page. it doesn't stay there. this worked in Chome, and works on Safari on my supreme MBA.

wtf ??

there's an option in the user control panel to adjust the page position after it finishes loading. that has pretty much fixed this firefox behavior for me (although it gets adjusted slightly sideways as well, which irritates me)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
my home computer's power supply seems to have killed itself the other day. (computer wouldn't turn on, smell of ozone filling the room) i bought another one (same model and everything) yesterday, but swapping that in didn't give my computer the ability to power on. should i try replacing the whole motherboard now? or should i just call it a lost cause?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

have you inspected the motherboard, especially for things like bulging capacitors?

i have not, but i will image search bulging capacitors and see if i can find anything tonight

e: i do not have a lot of hope that i will find anything

because i'm not sure i can see what they're pointing out in this picture :saddowns:

but i will try

prefect fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 23, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lightbulb Out posted:

it may be worth it to pull the motherboard battery for a couple minutes. i've had certain cases of systems present similar symptoms and they powered up normally after a BIOS reset.

i will search for a picture of my motherboard and attempt to locate the battery. thanks for the tip :tipshat:

(yes, i am this bad at computers)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Migishu posted:

Seriously though:

Check that you bought a power supply with enough wattage to power your poo poo. If you have, try doing a de-dusting and make sure all the plugs are properly snug.

Though when a PSU explodes, it can also cause surges, so your mb may be hosed after all.

the power supply was 760W, and according to pcpartpicker, i need 440W

i almost want to use this as an excuse to buy a whole new computer, just so i can get one with an enormous case, so that i can actually get my hands in there and connect things on the first try and without dropping a bunch of stuff in there :downs:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I did this, don't do it. A well designed small case is just as good as a huge case. I had some cooler master HAF trash and now I have a fractal core 1000 and vastly prefer the fractal.

i also need to find a case that doesn't have any windows or lights on it. okay, it can have a power light, but not too bright :rant:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i think i'm going to buy all the parts for a computer and then have the people at a local computer store assemble everything for me. that way, i get the satisfaction of knowing i picked the wrong thing as well as the comfort of being able to blame any mysterious problems on the assemblers

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Just buy the systems in the parts picking thread and assemble them yourself. I'm still very happy with the system they were recommending three years ago. It worked out much better than when I randomly bought AMD oriented crap and stuck it in a $20 case with glowing lights and knockoff alienware heads on it.

i'm good at reading the parts-picking thread and using pcpartpicker.com; i have a problem with the actual assembly. there are too many plugs to connect and too many things on the motherboard to connect them to, and some of the plugs aren't supposed to be used, and most of the motherboard connectors aren't supposed to be used and the documentation is either nonexistent or impossibly terse :qq:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

syscall girl posted:

y'all realize you're enabling prefect to play whirled of warcrap, right?

that is not the only thing i do with my pc :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

~ sorts after z

and DEL sorts after ~

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I recommend RDP, the award winning technology from Microsoft

the first time i used rdp, i was blown away. "i'm controlling a machine in india, and it's not laggy and slow!" :neckbeard:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
tonight i should be trying to boot up a windows hard drive that is now in a new computer with a new motherboard, et cetera. am i going to be able to log in and just get nagged by microsoft until i reregister things, or is it going to not even boot at all? :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

anthonypants posted:

it may not work at all but if you do boot into windows it's going to complain a lot. and why are you swapping around your hard drive, didn't you just build a new computer

i'm basically replacing everything except the hard drives, which i want to carry over from my last machine. if i have to do a bunch of windows reconfiguring, that's no problem; i'd just rather not have to start from blankness

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

anthonypants posted:

if you ever have a choice between reinstalling windows from scratch and not, the best option is always, always going to be reinstalling windows from scratch

also, i'm pretty sure i don't know where my windows installation cd from last time is :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Maximum Leader posted:

except it totally is

compared to VNC, RDP is like sitting in front of the computer with a plugged-in keyboard and mouse

SO DEMANDING posted:

if your operating system is still on a conventional hard drive, please throw it away and replace it with an SSD

thank you

i just call them "hard drives" out of habit. my c-drive is an ssd, and yes, it's pretty great

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dodoman posted:

get the free version of avast and turn off audio notifications

"gaming/silent mode" makes it less obnoxious

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cmykjester posted:

iTunes for Windows is a piece of poo poo that causes a runaway disnoted process on my PC.

What's a good program to play music on Windows?

itunes for windows has stopped downloading new episodes of subscribed podcasts for some reason. it's a piece of poo poo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
my iphone says twelve apps need to be updated, but the app store just says it's downloading them and then nothing happens :saddowns:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Awia posted:

restart the phone

i've done that a few times already, no luck

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dodoman posted:

try updating an app via itunes and then syncing it, i remember that working when i had an iphone

i've never done that before; i'll give it a shot. thanks

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

lampey posted:

i have had to uninstall a bunch of apps and then reinstall it because it was purchased on a different icloud account and would not update?? they were all free apps though but this might help

i wound up finding somebody on the internet who said they had the same problem and that disabling time synchronization solved the problem for them. i tried it, and things started downloading and installing :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sniep posted:

yeah and the 360 controller worked better than the xbox one controller

i mean, i use them both daily side by side in testing and the xbone one needs to be reset manually resynched battery pulled power cord pulled plugged and unplugged repeatedly while the 360 one just works

didn't they spend some ridiculous amount of money to very slightly redesign the xbone controller?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
make the child send e-mail to a server that will wget the url they ask for, and then print it out for them

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Silver Alicorn posted:

I replaced my CPU fan. Now my computer is too quiet, making me unable to sleep, as I had grown accustomed to the soothing brownian noise cover. What can I do?

fan death

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Heresiarch posted:

serious answer, find one of those standalone white noise generators

or this, if you don't want a separate device: https://simplynoise.com/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Panty Saluter posted:

so is it just walking from vibration or is it developing thrust?

maybe he sprayed the surface with pam before putting the fan down :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
is there an image viewer/organizer for macs that just lets you browse the filesystem and flip through images, and doesn't insist that you import images into its own stupid storage system?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Heresiarch posted:

xee3? it's on my wife's mac and i think it works like that

thank you. if it works as advertised, i will not feel bad paying four bucks for that :tipshat:

edit: it looks like a winner. thanks again

prefect fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 15, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

and "plenum" maybe

and "plumbus"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
has anyone else tried using disconnect with firefox? ever since i installed it, my browser sucks up the cpu cycles and gets slow to respond to things like scrolling

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

so does mpc-hc :dunno:

does it work on osx?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.