Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
what happens when you just, on the command line, do an "openssl ciphers" and see what you've got?

does what's in your list in the config match with entries there?

do you have any logs from the server side that detail the hits that are causing the error?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
post "/path/certificate.pem" that you ref in the link you posted (not the private key dont be a dummy)

e: or just send me a message here with it if you dont want everyone to be able to see the subject material (CN) or SANs if applicable

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
k the cert looks fine.

does the CN match the hostname youre trying to access this via?

i still lean ciphers since none show up when you did the s_client against it. are you testing from localhost? are you certain the openssl ciphers on your test platform support what you have nginx limited down to? (extremely limited down to?)

i mean i run apache, so the formatting is a little different but here's my personal cipher list:

SSLCipherSuite "EECDH+ECDSA+AESGCM EECDH+aRSA+AESGCM EECDH+ECDSA+SHA384 EECDH+ECDSA+SHA256 EECDH+aRSA+SHA384 EECDH+aRSA+SHA256 EECDH EDH+aRSA ECDH+3DES DH+3DES RSA+3DES !EECDH+aRSA+RC4 !RC4 !aNULL !eNULL !LOW !MD5 !EXP !PSK !SRP !DSS"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
which is pretty sloppy now that i look at it, but regardless, i have a few in there for compatibility, not just the limited ones you specified

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

kalstrams posted:

i have also tried this one

and the issue persisted too, so im not sure if my ciphers are bad

cn is example.com, hostname is test.example.com - is that fine or should i remake cert for test.example.com?

that's not what you posted above when you pasted in the certificate pem

but swr you need it to be a wildcard if you are using a subdomain off of it (or at least SAN in the specific subdomain)

Sniep fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 7, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

if the cn was *.example.com then test.example.com would work but if its just example.com then no. Either way the server shouldn't give a poo poo about the cn, only the client will complain.

yeah chasing the CN isn't fruitful, but its just another thing that doesnt line up

either way it fails to handshake and i still wonder what client he is using to do the s_client with and if it supports his fancy ciphers, or if nginx itself isnt properly listening

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
oh yea didnt think bout that, did you password the key and is nginx able to unencrypt it?

i mean drat man you gotta have some sort of logs of the ssl part bitching somewhere, im just not that familiar with nginx logs

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i mean you posted this:

2015/02/07 03:18:34 [error] 27951#0: *17 no "ssl_certificate" is defined in server listening on SSL port while SSL handshaking, client: my.computers.ip.address, server: 0.0.0.0:443

so, i'd probably head that direction first? is the test.blah.conf being included correctly? it seems like it might not even be fired up, the fundamental issue first is that ssl wont even handshake so to figure out why its not running...

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
hey pull the "listen 443 default ssl;" out of your nginx.conf and leave it in the other one

having it declared twice might be loving something?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
ok cool

now consolidate the two drat loving config files so you arent doing bullshit here and other bullshit there that are the same drat configuration spec

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

bobbilljim posted:

people who raid ssd drives :rolleyes:

hm?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Nintendo Kid posted:

nope, 360's always been better :tipshat:

as a daily user of both, nope

atv really nailed a functional remote for controlling a media device

xbox is too focused on monetizing you with poo poo and the xbone is horribad

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Nintendo Kid posted:

apple tv has interface lag

no, it doesn't. maybe gen 1 did, idk, i only use the modern one.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
that's numberwang

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

maybe he works for a web hosting company

web hosting with windows???
so like, hosted sharepoint or what?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

my stepdads beer posted:

someone out there is making money keeping all those asp classic pages running

when i see a webpage that has .asp extensions on its dynamic pages it immediately makes me think of like, a venn diagram where one half is "Small scale poo poo" and the other half is "incompetent poo poo" and theres a bubble in the middle barely including exclusions that stretch into one side only or the other.

most of the time it's just small scale AND incompetent poo poo. but once in a great while it can be one or the other purely.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

yeah if you're a web host it would behoove you to have some windows machines ready in case you want to take money from someone who uses dotnetnuke or something horrible

eh, nah

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

save as .wmv

no dont

use .rm realmedia

i mean the discussion is clearly "video formats from 1998" if wmv is in the suggestion pool

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Luigi Thirty posted:

do Seagate external hard drives still fall apart? Amazon has a 5tb external Seagate on sale for $129 and a 4tb WD for $131. I know their reputation is not for reliability and the last Seagate I had died within 6 months taking my vast collection of Linux ISOs with it, but I also know WD puts lovely drives in their external boxes too.

coming from my perspective, i'd get a hitachi if i were buying a spinning disk hdd

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

In Win 8.1 you can connect to a wifi from the login screen.
How does this handle portals that require accepting things on a webpage?

picturing this in a gif where they go to the help menu and about and click some button then a context menu on another button for a differnet help and w/e on and on until they are at the desktop, all over again

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
more like microsoft security entrails

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Thread Title posted:

YOSPOS › thread for when you have problems with computers

agreed.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
the xbone is bad

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

syscall girl posted:

mayhap, but m$ and sorny spent millions developing controllers so they win in that dept.

yeah and the 360 controller worked better than the xbox one controller

i mean, i use them both daily side by side in testing and the xbone one needs to be reset manually resynched battery pulled power cord pulled plugged and unplugged repeatedly while the 360 one just works

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

prefect posted:

didn't they spend some ridiculous amount of money to very slightly redesign the xbone controller?

yes and they ended up with a computer controller that has its own like computer in it and requires firmware updates and poo poo, and still sucks

e: i mean some goons may get excited over that, "Yay firmware updates, i get to janitor something!" but i swear the old style worked just fine without any intelligence

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's good, op

nah

it's not

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Nintendo Kid posted:

the console is also good

ahhhahahahahahhhahahhahahhahahhahahah

hahahhaahaahahahhaha

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

is there such a thing as a child safe browser??! just a single browser that can run along side child dangerous browsers

prolly a 3DS or maybe an ipad that has parental lock on so they cant download apps freely and limit safari from it so they can only use the educational-entertainment apps of your choice,

op

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

ahmeni posted:

Finder is for grandma
learn to use the terminal

use both in harmony namaste

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I got gigabit fiber to my house by my Asus RT-N16 can only handle 110mbit on the NAT before the CPU falls over and top reads 1.8. Are there consumer routers that can reliably push gigabit speeds through a NAT or should I just bite the bullet and run a mini pc for router duties and have it double as a NAS?

im gonna say an airport extreme or something ubiquity will be hte best you will prolly do before hitting legit routers?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

blowfish posted:

inkjet: not crap, cheap ink,

is what i have, i payed $300 for hte printer but it owns and the ink is affordable and after 4 years i think im on my 3rd black cart and 2nd set of colors?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

so if there was some kind of database or system ideal for sales? like tracking items sold, when, expiries, etc? i could use a spreadsheet I GUESS but

SFDC!!!!!!!111a

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
SFDC!!!!!!!111a it's teh best!@!!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
it owns how the sales ORG has SFDC DOT COM and im not allowed an account but i am account-able for things that are made as decisions there!

It's marvelous!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

anthonypants posted:

i bought a raspberry pi, what should i do with it

write a distributed map reduce function in Erland

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Panty Saluter posted:

do lcd panels ever alternate lines when updating? i feel like occasionally with fast motion i see what kind of looks like interlacing artifacts (half of the lines are blank/colored like the background under the cursor)

no i dont think any LCD panels run interlaced unless somehow you're sending artificial interlaced scan line effect to it, it doesn't even draw lines in sequence in such a fashion.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

kalstrams posted:

ive got a condenser mic hooked up to pc via xlr-usb cable (thats intended for the mic), but in windows its audible only at microphone level set to 93 or higher. thats since i dont have any meaningful amp hooked anywhere, right?

condenser mic? do you have a 48vdc preamp that's powering the mic?

you need to power condenser mics, not just connect them - requires a preamp

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Corla Plankun posted:

at work somebody suggested irc as an alternative to hipchat and the IT guys laughed

whats so bad about irc???

no giphy memes

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Syncopated posted:

How bad of an idea is it to get a macbook

to answer ur question OP: very good, not bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
other users crons