Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Heresiarch posted:

i'm using digitalocean right now, one of their $5/mon droplets, and it's handling all of my "loving around" needs just fine, including web dev/hosting and an irc bouncer for some friends, and i'm 99% sure they don't have a problem with setting up your own vpn as long as you don't violate the tos. they have debian and centos images and generally things just work as expected, in my experience. their newer locations support stuff like ipv6 too

this is my referral link, which will give me $25 in credit eventually if you stay with them long enough, but more importantly will give you $10 in account credit immediately so you can fool around with their vms for a while and see if you like how they work, there may be something i've missed that's important to other folks

i hope this kind of referral link is okay, if it's not then i'll delete it (or a mod can just do it for me)

i have a bunch of digitalocean drops, the number varies widely. i started out with one. then i built a 3 node coreos cluster. then i wrote shell scripts to create and destroy machines via api, and ive had up to like 60 up simultaneously. i think right now i just have the 3 up though.

the api is ownage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

probably but I think quite a few of them are conventional TVs with tuners and I'm not sure how they would handle having power interruptions like that. I suspect the initialization delay will be too much, compared to turning the backlight on/off which is where most your power draw is going anyhow

get some sort of HDMI splitter/switch and put its power adapter on the motion sensor so it goes to no input. most modern tvs should sleep p quick

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Granbar posted:

i want like, an arm stand thing for my future secondary monitor. preferably one that can extend like a meter, or more. anyone got any suggestions? idk poo poo about this (or anything else for that matter)

if u want cheap: monoprice
if u want dope: ergotron

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we've got a massive ergotron pillar type mount on wheels at work that we have two 50" sarnsungs stacked on one side for bigboards and status pages, and a single 60" on the other for promo video/slideshows facing the lobby. unlock the casters and you can move it with your pinky. very nice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
chef and puppet aren't terrible that is exactly what they are for

if you cant write a chef recipe to do all that, idk man

docker is not the hammer for this nail

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

you also need to buy a hex driver and a trilobe (think like slot but three of them and small, not triangle) bit

I may or may not have once slaved for an hour Dremeling down every other point on a Torx driver so that I could work on a god drat macbook

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
apple if you dont want to gently caress with it and have macs
ubnt if you dont want to gently caress with it and have mixed platform
mikrotik if you want to gently caress with it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
900 or 3.6 ghz backhaul, 5ghz last mile :getin:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just install iTunes. it's fine and you don't have to use it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you literally can't put up with itunes you are a grade a scrub fucko

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like what is y'alls complaint about itunes

i literally don't get why it's so "bad" and i have been using music players since I found a .MOD player that beeped the pc speaker with PWM to approximate tones

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
millions of people unironically used Sonique for years, and you guys piss and moan about iTunes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

well i think they are basing it off itunes on windows which is solid turd

of course apple users see no issue with itunes cuz the poo poo works great on its native platform

oh. yeah that'd do it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lampey posted:

a privacy company

aaaahahahahah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bobbilljim posted:

ive got a problem with my conputer...

some fucker banned me from #yospos!!!!

i was only trying to join since my work pc has problems loading the forum (hmmm)

sorted

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lampey posted:

don't buy a cpu in 2015, you lose out on a lot of the hardware features of the Mac. Don't buy anything for gaming.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

more like dICK posted:

what was the company that did low volume pcbs in cute colours and shapes?

oshpark?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive gotten a core2duo to 88 C and that chip works to this day

why the gently caress would you care about cooling

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Corla Plankun posted:

according to ops it is actually really, really bad

i dont understand how chatting is still so hard to get right when aol had chatrooms that worked fine literally 20 years ago

chatting is not hard

chatting with the combination of push alerts and mobile devices and consistency needed in chat rooms is really hard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

nah its actually pretty easy but people like to try to get fancy with it. the trick is you gotta keep it all server side and let the client do nothing but receive alerts and display the server content. as soon as you trust the client to handle anything beyond view of the server side chat rooms you start loving things up

I don't disagree but this requires either onsite servers or putting your trust in the hands of :clod:. i know this is obvious and a dumb thing to point out but its a hard decision either way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fuckin snapshots bruh jeez

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

cluster ssh

https://github.com/brockgr/csshx

./csshX ssh username@hostname[1-5]

your welcome

csshx is good. I built a thing tho that builds tmuxinator yaml's out of knife searches so you can just do

./tmucks "role:db AND environment:production_nyc1"

and boom it gets the list and panes it out (9 per window) and as many windows as it takes
was fun to write

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Corla Plankun posted:

how hard is it to re-use batteries from old electronics (for example crappy flip phones, that kind of thing)? it would be cool to make mobile projects that didnt have to involve buying a shitload of batteries all the time

Batteries are wear items so basically if anything's non-standardized, it's probably too old to be useful

but for example the Yaesu VX-3r handheld uses a super standard NP60 camera battery so you can just buy some for $3 each off Amazon. going that way is the best
we have 14500 and 18650 cells these days which are a good form factor to build around too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes sony is garbage buy a macbook pro or air

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just. get. the. mac. you wont look back. you wont be upset. it will do everything you ask and keep you away from dota.

get the mac

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Syncopated posted:

How bad of an idea is it to get a macbook and dualboot macos/ windows for games and stuff?

dont let your child use your computer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no they run windows which is super loving bad and yall are so abused you dont realize it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

k so our business has one of those emails thats info@business name but the email is managed and run entirely by google like gmail

I can't for the life of me find the settings or account details that would let me get another email address at the same domain

You only get one at a time, rear end in a top hat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SO DEMANDING posted:

get the clown responsible for this to register an account here

this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cool pic

if you look closely on the left hand pole you'll see a 14db patch antenna and a ubiquiti bullet m2 hp. it has a 1 megabit link to the denver area ham radio wireless mesh. the other end is on Green Mountain, almost exactly 7 miles away

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hope you didnt expect my house to look any less weird

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hifi posted:

it looks like it used to be a pizza hut

real estate office, actually

commercial metal walls and roof, metal screens, and that front door is steel core and weighs about 100 lbs with two fat deadbolts

this place is extremely faraday cage

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that's interesting. was your building a house when you bought it, or did you convert it from an office yourself?

nah its been converted for decades. there's a 1987 NRA sticker stuck on the door. my neighbor's been here for 35 years and a chill old feller lived in here for a long time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd redo it just to make sure but i have ocd

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im working on a little server c2d ting now and it's so old that i think the bios is bitflipped somewhere; it only sees -85C in bios for the CPU temp and accordingly shits its pants and 100%'s the fan

I had a 'quiet adapter' for 4pin from my other build so just used that. it rolls around 1800 rpm and seems to keep it pretty happy. shrug

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got an old c2d blackbook to 88c once

I sadly did not see any serious poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the best thing in the world is having a deece router with a caching dns server thats also tied into the dhcp server, so you can just punch hostnames and go

my poo poo is set up with not only a comcast pipe but a 1mbps connection to the denver ham radio mesh network, and hostnames work really well across both sides. my edgerouter is just set up with multi wan and the ham mesh uses 10.x.x.x, and it all Just Works

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Perl is fine if you don't need objects.

if youre just mangling text who gives a gently caress

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i have a strange question

so i had some chrome extension that got sold to an adware developer and it got infected and i had to install malwarebytes to get rid of it. whatever. but now i have malwarebytes installed, and it keeps popping up the weirdest popups all the time: says it blocked a request to "b.securing-request.com" ("riskware") over and over again while browsing the forums.

so because it's always the same URL and IP, i looked it up and it's registered to cloudflare. i know the forums use cloudflare.

1) what is going on?
2) is this an actual normal cloudflare thing, or is it "riskware" like mbam says?
3) why does cloudflare own a suspicious-looking url like that?
4) why are the forums making requests to cloudflare all the loving time? how does cloudflare even work?

cloudflare is a cdn, meaning that all they do is cache content in a middleman fashion. The offender is a Cloudflare customer. https://www.cloudflare.com/abuse/ is what you want. give them as many details, logs, screenies as you can, and be polite about it. they'll get to it

They can't take the content down (weeeeeeeeeellllllll....yeah let's just say they won't take the content down) but they will pass your complaint on to the actual customer. CDNs dont want this trash making GBS threads up their IP reputations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im impressed

quote:

expires: Sun, 07 May 2028 18:45:54 GMT
< cache-control: public, max-age=315360000
< cf-cache-status: HIT

he actually does have some caching set up