Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Seems like he thought he was going to die at some point around MA, and get immortalized into John Lennon or Kurt Cobain.

Then it seems like around EM,DM he thought he would gain weight and overdose on drugs and become Elvis.

Instead he lived, and is becoming Yoko Ono.

What comes next who knows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

You can still hear alot of the Fragile in alot of the stuff off of Hesitation Marks. Way more than Witha Teetha and Year Zero.

While he is definitely mellowing out (as he should be) the mixing/production/sound-design are still as good as ever.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

sethsez posted:

Holy Wood felt like a retreat to his comfort zone, and although the music itself was fine, it was the album that made me realize MA was the last time he'd try to surprise anyone.

For me, it was watching "Disposable Teens" on Much Loud. That is the exact moment I checked out.

Both the guitar riffs and the video just seemed a complete and utter rehash.

Also his singles always had me searching through abstract interpretation. Beautiful People, Tourniquet, Dope Show.. people always found similar yet different meanings. I could tolerate the blatant I Don't Like The Drugs just because it was him as this Bowie-esque fantasy character (plus a fun song). But Disposable Teens? It just seemed so.. pandering. Almost nu-metal lyrically, carefully packaged for angry 14-year-old boys. I mean perhaps that's what he was doing all along, but at least he hid it under a lot of clever abstraction up to that point.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

god's revenge on Marilyn Manson was making him into everything he hated 20 years ago

He's become a fat angry bully millionaire who attends fashion shows in expensive suits.

What's next? He "parodies" corporate greed by buying stock in ExxonMobil?

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

edit. repost

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

And by a Canadian no less. He must have really pissed him off.

I wonder if it's that same fat shirtless Canadian that knocked out Shia Labeuf.

Also - The Seven Day Binge video looks like Nicholas Cage screen-testing as the joker.

• Locked thread