Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I wish there was a reason to drop AT&T for a prepaid carrier but there just isn't. We have a total of 7 lines on AT&T and only 4 of those REALLY use data. We have the 30GB plan and we each pay $33 per month which pays it in full. We generally get close enough to 30GB to make it worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why would you want to switch from postpaid to prepaid? You lose roaming, you get throttled data speeds, and you get worse customer support.

What roaming? There's not a single carrier out here besides Verizon that might have better coverage. Going to another country I just use a Tmobile SIM because AT&Ts roaming prices are a joke.

Throttled doesn't bother me one bit if its priced well, the 8Mbps from Cricket is more than enough for me and everyone on our line.

I never contact support.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Okay, great, you've told me why prepaid isn't bad. You didn't explain why you'd want to switch though.

I'd imagine most people do simply to pay less, which is why my original comment indicated I would like to do .. but I haven't found that yet where it beats my $33/mo per line deal.

Thank you for keeping me sane, I was unsure of what someone would want to switch for.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They stated that they pay $33 a month for each user and they actually do use most of their 30GB.

Yes, and I would like to pay less if there was an option. It was really just a statement of "man I wish I could do this but $33 is hard to beat" and possible hopes someone said "hey bro, here's a great option you might not have heard of!" ..

So, no need to discuss it further .. $33 seems to be better than I will get anywhere else.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

nimper posted:

Yeah I suppose $33/person for 7 people on a postpaid shared plan is not a bad deal at all.

Cricket's "group save" comes close at $30/person for 5 people with 5gb each, but like Vykk.Drago said you lose the benefits of postpaid to save $3/month.

Yeah in this case $3 isn't enough to move away for. My usage is very limited, I am around WiFi most of the time (work from home) and I generally cache stuff locally like music. The 15GB double data plan (so 30GB) was a good deal on AT&T but I am always out to save what I can, if it makes sense. AT&T's network in downtown Cincinnati is abysmal (speed, not coverage) so that's one reason I would like to pay less .. anywho, I'll just keep an eye out for deals.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

But the GoPhone service doesn't have the same reliability / signal strength as post-paid AT&T, correct?

I don't see why/how it couldn't without costing AT&T serious cash in implementing that. Basically it seems GoPhone has finally matched the Cricket offering, at least the mid range.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I tried to move my mother over to Cricket Wireless, I must hate myself really really really badly.

They couldn't complete the port (info was 100% correct), kept telling me "were just waiting on due date and due time, it will be done by 9, then it will be done by 10". 8:39AM today and nothing. Oh but hey since my account isn't working now is the perfect time to upsell me on some great Cricket Wireless products.

I'd rather put my nuts in a vice. How does this company make money with support this poor? I couldn't even setup an account with them using a universal sim kit. Good lord.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

For the most part, it's one of those things that works great when you don't need support. That isn't some pithy throwaway or anything, they offer outstanding plans for the price (slightly less so with T-Mobile scaring the poo poo out of the postpaid carriers these days) and for what it's worth their support is far beyond the America Movil brands (that's not saying much though).

That said, once you need support, you find out where they make up for the low pricing :v:

My issue was support just getting my account to work (which isn't at this point and the Samsung J3 is free over at Verizon, so issue fixed with that). They sure did charge my credit card, which I have a feeling will be a fight to get back so I'll likely just have to do a charge back.

Honestly I am glad I experienced this before the port in would even complete, I can't imagine having to deal with another issue.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

Problems with number porting are almost always on the part of the old carrier, not the new one.

Understood, but this is AT&T to AT&T basically. I provided the details exactly as they were needed (I've ported over 8 lines with zero issue to Verizon) and as of this point nothing is working. Cricket "support" refuses to tell me anything but "we're waiting on a due date and due time" and if I push them for more they just tell me to wait longer.

Ports with the correct information are almost instant. Having to wait 10-15 minutes every time I need to reach cricket "support" is miserable. If they had decent enough support it would be another matter entirely, but they don't. Oh well, just wanted to vent.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

You probably put an extra 1 or - in your account number or whatever.

Anyway port your number to google voice.

Nope, I verified with them that the info was correct.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

revdrkevind posted:

Cricket: Did you do it online or in person? I did it in person, and my new phone was working before I left the mall kiosk.

Oh one of the big three carriers is refusing to be sensible? How odd. /sarcasm

Getting a Big Three carrier to let you go the first time is often a hassle. Verizon was still claiming they didn't have to unlock numbers, and Sprint prepaid claimed it was illegal to switch carriers, before I got Cricket to do mine. Once your number is free, you'll never have that problem again. Google Voice is better at freeing numbers, as is going to a reputable mall kiosk where the guy can "call his friend" who will fix your number.

I've never had a hassle like this and I've switched carriers numerous times. In fact I just ported 7 lines from AT&T to Verizon without a hiccup (well, the Verizon rep forgot to get the old account number but that was fixed easily with LNP) and 1 from T-Mobile. This was done online, the process broke at the end so I was working with reps to complete it which they all have been incapable of doing.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Syrinxx posted:

If you have a store near you, go in. The people working there are probably 17 year old idiots but at least they have the ability to call the magic number for reseller support and fix a number port while you stand there. Same thing happened to me and the stoners at the local Cricket place had it sorted in about 5 minutes.

I moved my mom over to our Verizon plan since it isn't much more and it's unlimited. The irony of it all is that the Verizon local number portability center connected me to a very helpful gentlemen with Cricket who could have actually fixed everything the first time around, however you can't reach people like that by normal means.

The port was stuck in some weird limbo (they verified my account info was correct). He just canceled the port and then we ported to Verizon within a minute or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, support is one of the major prices you pay for moving to an MVNO. With Cricket, you can dig up the secret zendesk email from reddit/r/nocontract or howardforums at least.

Good to know! It worked out price wise on verizon due to the "free" phone she got .. otherwise I would have had to fight with Cricket and eventually (hopefully) get stuff worked out.