Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011
everyone's always like "oh yeah its super addictive lol i wasted my whole summer" and i try it and i just dont find it that fun

maybe its just bc i'm bad but i just can't get addicted like everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot
Alpha Centauri is better anyway.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Why would you bother when Civ IV exists. The only person who loves Civ V in this forum is Borsche and he is well known for having not mined a hill in that game, due to AIDS spreading to his brain.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i have civ 3 and civ 5 and i haven't played either yet. should i start with 3 or just ignore it and play 5

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

WhenInRome posted:

everyone's always like "oh yeah its super addictive lol i wasted my whole summer" and i try it and i just dont find it that fun

maybe its just bc i'm bad but i just can't get addicted like everyone else

Try the far superior Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword OP.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i have civ 3 and civ 5 and i haven't played either yet. should i start with 3 or just ignore it and play 5

Both are pretty bad games. nr. 4 is the only one worth playing...

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hovered over this and was dissapointed

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

2 was fun for its time, and the easy of modding was eye-opening, but the markov-script AI left something to be desired

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You should try Shank 2 instead, OP - it even supports co-op.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
if the trend holds, civ 6 will be mind-blowing

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

civ 5 is good

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I mostly play it with friends when I'm more interested in shooting the poo poo with them instead of competing.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I didn't really like it either op, Europa Universalis 4 is the way to go.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Wasn't multiplayer AI literally completely broken for months in Civ5?

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Yeah, tried it a few times and would always desync before the 10th turn. Kinda stopped playing the game before they fixed it.

Edit: misread, can't comment on the AI, didn't work long enough to try it.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Yeah, they'd just found a single city then do absolutely nothing for the rest of the game. Me and my wife tried to play a cooperative match and spent 40 turns trying to figure out where the hell everybody was before we encountered the first micronation.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
multiplayer's a redheaded stepchild all around, the civ 5 pitboss literally cannot run without a video card capable of running civ 5, because you outright cannot get any part of civ 5 running if you don't initialize the graphics.

whatever the gently caress they were thinking when they made that decision, multiplayer certainly didn't enter the equation.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

I've never understood the appeal of playing Civ single player

on the other hand, civ multiplayer with friends is amazing

op, have you played civ games in the past?

bara godzilla fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 22, 2014

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

DLTN posted:

I've never understood the appeal of playing Civ single player

on the other hand, civ multiplayer with friends is amazing

op, have you played civ games in the past?

i have not

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

WhenInRome posted:

i have not

okay then yeah, grab 2-3 good friends and try playing multiplayer if you can. to expand on what i said before, i find civ singleplayer incredibly boring, but i've played enough multiplayer to get Civ 5 up to my second most played game on steam. i seem to be in the minority for this but hey what's there to lose

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

It's because it is a bad game, friend.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Awesome! posted:

You managed to hit on either side of the bulls eye, and the regions where your darts hit are worth no points, whilst the center is worth 4 points, which is to say, Civ 4, which you ought play.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

thats becausse civ 5 is bad

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
it's always who can rush tech the fastest its loving gay bullshit final review score 0/5 pwns.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

conceitedguy posted:

You managed to hit on either side of the bulls eye, and the regions where your darts hit are worth no points, whilst the center is worth 4 points, which is to say, Civ 4, which you ought play.

on the plus side, 3 was free and 5 complete was 10bux so if I don't like them I'm not out much.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

Why would you bother when Civ IV exists. The only person who loves Civ V in this forum is Borsche and he is well known for having not mined a hill in that game, due to AIDS spreading to his brain.

This coming from a guy who's favorite pokemon is Vileplume.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i got into civ5 iykwim chyeah

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Frank Horrigan posted:

Wasn't multiplayer AI literally completely broken for months in Civ5?

it's been broken since released. it is still currently broken.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

it's been broken since released. it is still currently broken.

apparently its not broken, but actually intentionally neutered by firaxis presumably to cut down on turn time i guess??

theres a mod available as well as a loader that lets you launch mods in multiplayer that fixes the AI, regardless. my friends have been using it lately and there is no way im ever going to play without it again

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

DLTN posted:

okay then yeah, grab 2-3 good friends and try playing multiplayer if you can. to expand on what i said before, i find civ singleplayer incredibly boring, but i've played enough multiplayer to get Civ 5 up to my second most played game on steam. i seem to be in the minority for this but hey what's there to lose

lol, what the gently caress are "good friends"

Soral
May 30, 2009

only way to enjoy civ 5 is to install gimmicky civilization mods and play bullshit games with friends where you stomp the ai

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i spent loving hours on end playing that poo poo piece and can't for the life of me think why
it's boring and broken and repetitive as poo poo, the complex diplomacy boils down to stupid predictable AI opponent bullshit

religion is an idiot race to the best religion traits first (spoiler alert: the celts win because they get faith for living next to a goddamn forest.) and it's crap anyway. culture victory is a world wonder race

basically the whole bullshit game comes down to researching the right science things first and building wonders first

Abandon fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 22, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DLTN posted:

apparently its not broken, but actually intentionally neutered by firaxis presumably to cut down on turn time i guess??

theres a mod available as well as a loader that lets you launch mods in multiplayer that fixes the AI, regardless. my friends have been using it lately and there is no way im ever going to play without it again

'neutered' isn't right, it just doesn't think as hard as it normally does in single player. realistically this means it shows the same forms of retardation it shows in SP that lets people beat it on deity where it wastes tons of time and money on poo poo that doesn't matter at all. they were busted to poo poo pretty much until the last expansion came out though yeah.

AIs in Civ have never been that terribly good so sadly all that's kinda par for the course. if anything the AI in civ 4 was even easier to exploit because you could lure their doomstacks into ambushes super loving easy and wipe them out with half as many guys in like 2-3 turns taking pretty much zero casualties in return, all while letting them beeline the worthless loving religions while you got early education or economics and blew them out of the water domestically.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

play civ 6 instead, op

(civ5 + g&k + bnw)

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Coolguye posted:

'neutered' isn't right, it just doesn't think as hard as it normally does in single player. realistically this means it shows the same forms of retardation it shows in SP that lets people beat it on deity where it wastes tons of time and money on poo poo that doesn't matter at all. they were busted to poo poo pretty much until the last expansion came out though yeah.

AIs in Civ have never been that terribly good so sadly all that's kinda par for the course. if anything the AI in civ 4 was even easier to exploit because you could lure their doomstacks into ambushes super loving easy and wipe them out with half as many guys in like 2-3 turns taking pretty much zero casualties in return, all while letting them beeline the worthless loving religions while you got early education or economics and blew them out of the water domestically.

in civ5 you could repel an attack with like 1 or 2 units. running circles around them while they put their archers and artillery in front of their swords and riflemen. it was loving stupid. at least in civ4 you had to have some production and a standing army lol.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

DLTN posted:

what mods are these lol.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I just realized Civ 4 complete came with the 2k strategy super pack I got Civ 5 in and I never actually bothered to install it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Anyone else remember when Borsche bragged about being the first one in line at Gamestop for his preorder of Civ 5? lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Anyone else remember when Borsche bragged about being the first one in line at Gamestop for his preorder of Civ 5? lmfao

Holy poo poo

• Locked thread