Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

Anyone else remember when Borsche bragged about being the first one in line at Gamestop for his preorder of Civ 5? lmfao

what the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Coolguye posted:

'neutered' isn't right, it just doesn't think as hard as it normally does in single player. realistically this means it shows the same forms of retardation it shows in SP that lets people beat it on deity where it wastes tons of time and money on poo poo that doesn't matter at all. they were busted to poo poo pretty much until the last expansion came out though yeah.

AIs in Civ have never been that terribly good so sadly all that's kinda par for the course. if anything the AI in civ 4 was even easier to exploit because you could lure their doomstacks into ambushes super loving easy and wipe them out with half as many guys in like 2-3 turns taking pretty much zero casualties in return, all while letting them beeline the worthless loving religions while you got early education or economics and blew them out of the water domestically.
i was specifically talking about how the AI in MP straight-up does not contact you for literally any reason except to declare war. it just ignores diplomacy entirely. no trade offers, declarations of friendship, denouncements, nothing. as far as i know, beyond that it acts the same as in SP. you can still exploit it and abuse its weaknesses but the fun of AI civs in a multiplayer game is they act like sort of wild cards to stir the pot rather than serious contenders.

Borsche69 posted:

what mods are these lol.
this is a program you launch civ 5 through and it essentially lets you use mods in multiplayer games. it owns. not all mods work (i think it was said that those that affect the database dont function), but any mods that my friends and i use (almost entirely bugfix mods, QoL changes, AI fix, etc) all work great and it's improved our civ experience by quite a bit. the only downside is literally everyone playing has to have the same mods installed, but since you're able to simply uncheck mods you dont want to use, you won't have to uninstall any mods that your friends dont have just to play with them. just hop on your voip of choice and just go down the list and make sure everyone's on the same page and launch.

here's the actual ai diplomacy fix mod, made by the same person who made the mod launcher. once again though if your gripes with the ai extend to how predictable or exploitable though, this probably still wont help you enjoy civ any more, sorry

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Borsche69 posted:

what mods are these lol.

in addition to what dltn said there's also http://multiplayerrobot.com/, you can run mods with 'hotseat' games that way

which is basically way better than the official pitboss release since you don't need to tie up a computer with a video card

Borsche69 posted:

in civ5 you could repel an attack with like 1 or 2 units. running circles around them while they put their archers and artillery in front of their swords and riflemen. it was loving stupid. at least in civ4 you had to have some production and a standing army lol.

nah you could win wars pretty easy because the AI really loving sucks at it but it wasn't this bad. people talk about how they put archers in front all the time but it actually happens a minority of the time, the real problem is that the AI doesn't loving understand how to make a proper battle line and move an army as a whole, so you end up just picking them apart piecemeal with a bunch of outriders. which is still a gently caress of a lot more interesting than semi-doomstack killing full doomstack with collateral damage from cats

the funniest thing i ever did to the AI like that was one time when caesar DoW'd me and sent like 15 dudes when i had like 3, so i bribed a city state that was in between us to allies and the city state went absolutely loving apeshit on caesar as he moved through its territory. but since the AI didn't compute 'switch targets dumbfuck' he had gently caress-all in fighting condition by the time he reached me. which again, is STILL way more loving interesting than 'whip the cats, mostly suicide them on doomstack for collateral, pooping intensifies (on borsche's face)'

DLTN posted:

i was specifically talking about how the AI in MP straight-up does not contact you for literally any reason except to declare war. it just ignores diplomacy entirely. no trade offers, declarations of friendship, denouncements, nothing. as far as i know, beyond that it acts the same as in SP. you can still exploit it and abuse its weaknesses but the fun of AI civs in a multiplayer game is they act like sort of wild cards to stir the pot rather than serious contenders.
i dunno i feel like that's an ultra trivial complaint since you can just contact them and they respond exactly like they always would. you can DoF with them easily and you can ask them to denounce people, but denouncing kinda means gently caress-all since players don't pay attention to them. but if you want to trade luxuries, just open a trade with them, they'll be chill. if you want to get a loan, they'll roll with you.

they're not serious contenders in an MP game but let's face it they're not in an SP game either. if you have them fight 'fair' (aka play on prince) a brain damaged orangutan could beat them just because they don't actually play to win, they simply play not to lose. the only real threat to not winning a civ game in pretty much any iteration is having an AI crush you under a billion dudes before you finish your victory type, not them outplaying you to a science victory or something.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 22, 2014

• Locked thread