Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

01011001 posted:

i really hope not

There are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

The lore thread in the WoW subforum is godawful. It is pretty much page after page of arguing back and forth about how evil the undead are and whether or not the Horde or the Alliance has more Evil Points.

Dec 26, 2012

i am embarrassed to know that there even is a lore thread, but not terribly surprised

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

every lore thread for any game is loving terrible, but i'm glad they exist because they help contain that poo poo where i don't have to read it

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

every lore thread for any game is loving terrible, but i'm glad they exist because they help contain that poo poo where i don't have to read it

I'm pretty sure that's the reason they were created.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

The WoW lore thread is amusing because you get a mix of people trying to figure out why they murdered a dude (real answer: for purples) and people who get frothing mad about whatever thin excuse for a story Blizzard uses to let the players beat up things that drop purples. The rage whenever anything from the RTS era or a big name NPC from the MMO era becomes killable is amazing.

Plus you get people who throw fits over horde bias, and arguments over whether or not the undead race is evil or just misunderstood, with all the seriousposting of a D&D middle east politics thread but about a loving video game

americong
May 29, 2013

Vhadka posted:

The WoW lore thread is amusing because you get a mix of people trying to figure out why they murdered a dude (real answer: for purples) and people who get frothing mad about whatever thin excuse for a story Blizzard uses to let the players beat up things that drop purples. The rage whenever anything from the RTS era or a big name NPC from the MMO era becomes killable is amazing.

Plus you get people who throw fits over horde bias, and arguments over whether or not the undead race is evil or just misunderstood, with all the seriousposting of a D&D middle east politics thread but about a loving video game

sounds like my kinda sperg poo poo

Dec 26, 2012

Vhadka posted:

oh word?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Vhadka posted:

I do kinda sperg out about the fact they made the lich king killable

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Might have calmed down now, I'm like 3k posts behind and can't be hosed to read that many words about WoW lore right now, but I doubt it thanks to the upcoming expansion

People consider MMO lore a super serious thing for some reason, even in a series that's been full of goofy poo poo and pop culture references for the better part of 20 years

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

My favourite part of Panda People is that it makes those types of people p. mad. Too bad the actual game is poo poo.

americong
May 29, 2013

Great Joe posted:

My favourite part of Panda People is that it makes those types of people p. mad. Too bad the actual game is poo poo.

did they throw out a bunch of gay lore or something

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

americong posted:

did they throw out a bunch of gay lore or something

It was a combination of them being not serious enough for your typical WoW playing teen/manchild and not playing Warcraft 3

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
cowpeople: a-okay, are cool
pandapeople: whoa hold on, too gay

americong
May 29, 2013

next expansion we get to travel to ponyville and see the mane 5 and metzen's self-insert original pony character

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

americong posted:

next expansion we get to travel to ponyville and see the mane 5 and metzen's self-insert original pony character

I will buy it if that is true

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

americong posted:

diablo 3 already has that

americong
May 29, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I will buy it if that is true

rainbow dash as legendary flying mount; you can enable h scenes in the options

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh so the jamaican stereotypes are fine but the chinese jokes are too much? I get it, wow players

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Oh so the jamaican stereotypes are fine but the chinese jokes are too much? I get it, wow players

Jamaicans can't afford to play games so who cares about their feelings lol

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
China: Okay with an entire race of stereotypes of themselves in WoW, not okay with a murderous zombie with a visible bone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

DoubleDonut posted:

visible bone

:mrgw:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
all the corruption subplots are actually a deep allegory about Blizzard being bought by Activision, it's all very meta

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Did WC3 itself really get into the ~corruption~ stuff that much? I mostly remember Thrall being orc jesus and there were still plenty of rear end in a top hat barbarian orcs that disagreed and I thought all that was alright. Basically I just miss when Warcraft was about heavily accented fantasy races fighting each other because that's what fantasy races are supposed to do.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
grom drank the demon poo poo and became corrupted and started doing chaos damage

but beyond that not really

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Illidan ate the guy from WC1's skull and became corrupted too

Also Arthas' corruption arc is like the main plot of the game

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
corruption is what happens when a writer can't come up for a reason for a character to betray their allies

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I was looking forward to this game as well

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

stoutfish posted:

corruption is what happens when a writer can't come up for a reason for a character to betray their allies

ah yes, the classic "Mass Effect 3" dilemma of writers

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

Did WC3 itself really get into the ~corruption~ stuff that much? I mostly remember Thrall being orc jesus and there were still plenty of rear end in a top hat barbarian orcs that disagreed and I thought all that was alright. Basically I just miss when Warcraft was about heavily accented fantasy races fighting each other because that's what fantasy races are supposed to do.

The entire first campaign is about Arthas being corrupted by the Lich king, who himself was an orc corrupted by demons; the Orcs are trying to find a new home now that they are free from the corruption of the demons, until grom drinks demon blood and gets corrupted, but then uncorrupts everyone by killing the pit lord; illidan willingly becomes corrupted by eating the skull of a corrupted orc

e: also the middle of the undead campaign is about corrupting the elves' magic pool

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 26, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

all the corruption subplots are actually a deep allegory about Blizzard being bought by Activision, it's all very meta

wc3s plot is basically just starcraft again with less nuance

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
"nuance" in a blizzard game

try again

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chief Queef posted:

The entire first campaign is about Arthas being corrupted by the Lich king, who himself was an orc corrupted by demons; the Orcs are trying to find a new home now that they are free from the corruption of the demons, until grom drinks demon blood and gets corrupted, but then uncorrupts everyone by killing the pit lord; illidan willingly becomes corrupted by eating the skull of a corrupted orc

e: also the middle of the undead campaign is about corrupting the elves' magic pool

To this day I am not sure how the hell you're supposed to eat an entire skull, bones, teeth, and all.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
SOMEONE hasn't been to dia de los muertos

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

matrix ripoff posted:

SOMEONE hasn't been to dia de los muertos

Those are CANDY skulls.

Orcs are not made of candy.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

that's a bold assumption

Dec 26, 2012

matrix ripoff posted:

"nuance" in a blizzard game

try again

fair, but even starcraft had more depth than wc3

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Corrupted skulls are like gummy bears

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Falsum posted:

Corrupted skulls are like gummy bears

Being corrupted must suck of you have the consistency of jelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
But at least it's evil jelly!

• Locked thread