Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Programmers, and developers in general, have a bizarre fetish for the "unfettered free market", and bringing up any sort of unionization or labor movement with one inevitably leads into a frothing screed which would be very much at home on Free Republic.

In this thread we discuss why developers are so polarized against the idea of labor rights, when the lack of such protections is directly responsible for their ludicrous hours and health-destroying working conditions.

This includes VFX workers, oh lawd does it ever include VFX workers.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, in the Canadian side of things (which inspired this thread) you're lucky to make $45k as an experienced (+/- 4yrs) developer, VFX workers usually make barely above minimum wage with an easy 20+hrs/week of mandatory unpaid overtime.

The anti-union sentiment is sad and quite confusing in the states, in Canada it's becoming a parody sketch.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HappyHippo posted:

Do you have sources for those numbers?

Nearly my entire social group is either in the VFX or Software industry in Vancouver, purely anecdotal.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

on the left posted:

How can people say STEM is for rich white people with a straight face when it's got probably the largest concentration of foreigners from extremely poor countries of any white collar profession?

This kind of self deluding double-think is exactly what we're here to get to the bottom of. :toot:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

So desperate to avoid the fees that they'll pay hand over fist to put their dev teams in international waters! https://blueseed.co/

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe move this thread to GBS?

So it can have three pages of people spewing racial epithets and then fall into obscurity in about an hour?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SolTerrasa posted:

It certainly hasn't gone much better here. But you started with "why are (group) almost unanimously (x)" based on your gut feeling rather than data, which was never going to go well.

I was hoping to bait more than known forums shitposter PT6A. :v:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Smudgie Buggler posted:

How the gently caress is Unionism at odds with the unfettered free market? It's perfectly possible for collective bargaining to exist in a 100% laissez-faire stateless society. You know what couldn't? A corporation. They require acts of law to even exist.

I've tried explaining this and it usually gets rebuffed with bullshit about "holding employers hostage" or "double taxing employees".

I regret useing that Tunny image, it was just the fastest thing I could find to use as an example.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

WMain00 posted:

Oh gently caress off.

That a good answer for you?

No, and I'm sad that it took three days for you people to start crawling out of the woodwork. :allears:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

WMain00 posted:

I'd be curious though as to why you think it's okay to lump software developers into the category of "right wing liberterians". I'm fairly left wing myself, but perhaps I'm in the minority.

Go ahead, try and unionize a software shop. Please report back afterwards on how it went.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Typo posted:

It's basically this, the only people unionization would help are -bad- software developers, and those other devs/companies don't want within 50 meters of a keyboard anyway.

This is the argument leveraged against unions of all types for the past 50 years, but go ahead and keep imagining you're a special snowflake that will command a high price forever regardless of whether you have organized labor protection. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I can't tell if Typo is trolling deliberately, or just a living embodiment of the OP. Either way, these posts are an excellent showcase of what this thread is all about.

• Locked thread