Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

well, I'm in a tough spot. I've been around the block a couple times. Top 8 at a couple open series. top 16 at two grand prixs. I'm not exactly "pro" material when it comes to magic: the gathering, but I can say with confidence that I'm good.

My lgs has a summer league. You get points every match you win. The person with the highest points wins cool prizes at the end of the summer. probably a couple booster boxes or some such.

The problem is that I'm so far ahead in points that I could just show up (you get some freebie points for just showing up) and concede every game and take last place and still win.

the manager pulled me aside the other day and said that I should stop trying so hard. He told me that I didn't need to win every tournament and that I'm driving customers away because now they don't want to compete since its obvious they have no way to win.

how do I deal with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
take a dive for a bribe

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Omally posted:

take a dive for a bribe

altnerately threaten to tell the mtg dudes he's trying to fix games

alternately take the bribe, then tell the mtg dudes so he loses sponsorship. talk them into paying you for the info too.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

If it's really costing him customers, make him bribe you, otherwise go all out and humiliate people. If the manager really cared he could just make second prize almost as good as first.

Of course, if it's mostly kids you're up against then you should probably just run a gimmick deck that isn't as powerful to go easy on them, but if it's the usual 30+ sperglords or obnoxious rear end in a top hat types that made up most of the tournament scene back when I played then they should just get good and stop whining. I remember getting loving stomped a few times by players at your level, but I took it as a challenge to fix my deck/improve my play and not a sign to give up.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
photoshop a picture of him praying by your crack and get him banned from mtg for a year

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Vhadka posted:

If it's really costing him customers, make him bribe you, otherwise go all out and humiliate people. If the manager really cared he could just make second prize almost as good as first.

Of course, if it's mostly kids you're up against then you should probably just run a gimmick deck that isn't as powerful to go easy on them, but if it's the usual 30+ sperglords or obnoxious rear end in a top hat types that made up most of the tournament scene back when I played then they should just get good and stop whining. I remember getting loving stomped a few times by players at your level, but I took it as a challenge to fix my deck/improve my play and not a sign to give up.

nah, it's a bunch of 18 - 30 year olds. they are just casual scrubs that play with "my deck that I made myself". anytime i offer them advice they don't want it because "you're not playing real magic"

it's actually pretty funny tbh

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Hog Butcher posted:

photoshop a picture of him praying by your crack and get him banned from mtg for a year

this is actually good advice and I will do this

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

nah, it's a bunch of 18 - 30 year olds. they are just casual scrubs that play with "my deck that I made myself". anytime i offer them advice they don't want it because "you're not playing real magic"

it's actually pretty funny tbh

So real magic means not paying any attention to card synergy and not having any sort of core strategy meant to win? Because virtually every "deck I made myself" I remember going up against was just a bunch of "cool" cards thrown together that didn't work well with each other, and a strat that was usually "get my cool cards in play and attack with all of them at once". And they were all pathetically easy to beat just by saving removal/control for the obvious targets.

I was the rear end in a top hat with the pain in the rear end control deck at every tournament though, even when super fast decks were the thing. Was always fun to get wins because people based their sideboards completely around other fast decks and had no way to deal with a control deck if the game made it past turn 4 or so.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Play to win, son

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
how fat and/or goony are you, the manager, and the other customers

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Cringeworthy thread of the month

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

how fat and/or goony are you, the manager, and the other customers

Benny D posted:

Cringeworthy thread of the month

i'm fit enough to fight both u guys irl

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
what would the planeswalkers do op

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

my greatest flaw? it's probably that i'm too good at magic.

HeyCrapOnThis
Jul 3, 2002

Dongslayer. posted:

what would the planeswalkers do op

Be the worst part about magic the gathering is what they would do

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

HeyCrapOnThis posted:

Be the worst part about magic the gathering is what they would do

sounds like hes doing it then

Soral
May 30, 2009

play to win op. do whatever you can to drive customers away and shut down yet anoither mom and pop game shop in this failing economy of today

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

DoubleDonut posted:

Play to win, son

this is stupid and david sirlin is a goony-rear end moron

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Open up a new store and drive them out of business. Obviously they don't deserve to stay in business if they can't handle the competition.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

dont play card games unless its poker

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

ascend to your throne as king poo poo of poo poo mountain

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Hog Butcher posted:

threaten to tell the mtg dudes he's trying to fix games

Hog Butcher posted:

take the bribe, then tell the mtg dudes so he loses sponsorship. talk them into paying you for the info too.

in that order

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
play netrunner instead

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

PleasingFungus posted:

this is stupid and david sirlin is a goony-rear end moron

david sirlin didn't invent the concept of winning

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yeah this was always the worst thing about magic, you never care (spend) the same amount as other people

either you care too much and you squash them and they never want to play you, or you get utterly murdered by someone who played three thousand dollars for his tier one stack of cardboard

you can say, ok, let's just spend this much on a deck but that's dumb, people always want to use their collections, or you can say ok everyone just print proxies and then the people who pay money get upset and the store threatens to kick you out for suggesting you could have fun in a way they don't profit

this is why hearthstone is utterly superior. proper matchmaking means you always get a good game (whenever you want it, clothes optional), no chat means everyone's polite, a small, totally collectable and memorisable card set that you gradually accrete for free over the course of playing free arenas in which everyone is on an even footing. i recommend hearthstone.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think it's time you moved on from your lgs. Sure, you may be a king in your pond, but if you were to play my crew at otacon you'd be hard pressed to even tap your land. I admire your spirit but I can tell you're just a puffed up casual. Accept this before you are destroyed by your unattainable dream.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

either you care too much and you squash them and they never want to play you, or you get utterly murdered by someone who played three thousand dollars for his tier one stack of cardboard

lol as if 40 dollar mono-red burn decks don't win all the time.

turns out even expensive decks are poo poo in the wrong hands

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

LaTex Fetish posted:

lol as if 40 dollar mono-red burn decks don't win all the time.

turns out even expensive decks are poo poo in the wrong hands

yeah i've used this excuse before but it's not really true is it

moreover, it's the least interesting way you can possibly play and people generally react by just bringing anti-aggro or anti-burn until you stop

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
hes gotta remember that its the pros like you that make the scene what it is and draw in the new players. dont let him push you around because hes jealous of your ability

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

zen death robot posted:

didn't you get booted out for harassing some poor woman not too long ago?

I would like to know more.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

this is why hearthstone is utterly superior. proper matchmaking means you always get a good game (whenever you want it, clothes optional), no chat means everyone's polite, a small, totally collectable and memorisable card set that you gradually accrete for free over the course of playing free arenas in which everyone is on an even footing. i recommend hearthstone.

hearthstone really only has one tiny problem, which is being a goddamn simplistic turd free to play collectible card game by blizzard. i'm not saying magic isnt bad, but hearthstone is literally gaming cancer.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Maybe they should rethink their scoring if it's possible for you to do this

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

anyway OP, crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women. then report them to wizards.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

alternately take a bribe of equivalent or greater value than the main prize

Dec 26, 2012

Scyther posted:

anyway OP, crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women. then report them to wizards.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I used to be pretty invested in mtg for a while but after maybe a year hiatus and playing hearthstone I can definitely say that hearthstone is the superior game. It's well balanced, the meta is constantly changing despite new cards only just showing up, and removing mana from the cards means you're always drawing something interesting. In this day and age, a game like mtg just feels slow and outdated, and its obnoxious nerd player base is the worst. Not to say hearthstone players aren't nerds, I just don't have to see/smell/hear them.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

run a stall deck and take every game to time until they tell you to bring back your other decks

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Dirty Job posted:

I used to be pretty invested in mtg for a while but after maybe a year hiatus and playing hearthstone I can definitely say that hearthstone is the superior game. It's well balanced, the meta is constantly changing despite new cards only just showing up, and removing mana from the cards means you're always drawing something interesting. In this day and age, a game like mtg just feels slow and outdated, and its obnoxious nerd player base is the worst. Not to say hearthstone players aren't nerds, I just don't have to see/smell/hear them.

lol drat everything you just said is wrong.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
just show up and drop out immediately, you get first place and the rest of the players get to not get owned by you. it's a win-win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

T: Add :synpa: to your mana pool.

• Locked thread