Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Started reading yesterday, up to chapter 56 now, and Reigen is easily the best character in this series. :allears:

I really like how, while One Punch Man is a parody of the typical shounen fighting series, Mob Psycho is more of a satire, so while they both do functionally the same thing with very similar premises, they still manage to maintain their own identities and tone. You can tell ONE really has a lot to say about shounen manga, at least.

It's hard to call one "better" then the other, though, if only because neither one is finished, and they're both being worked on at the same time so that's a tough argument to make.

You should also check out Makai no Ossan / Old Man of the Underworld. It's ONE's (finished) slice of life gag comic about a family of demons and their businessman father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Fresh Prince posted:

Holy gently caress the newest chapters have been great. 100% Courage Mob is outstanding

I love how much Mob seems to have grown personally as a result of this arc.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Mob's become a lot more frightening when pissed now that he's grown a bit.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So his emotion this time is the same as it was vs Dimple the first time he hits 100%

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The backgrounds almost look like they're done in watercolor.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Story/writing wise there's definitely a good bit of similarities in that they're both about main protagonists who are extremely powerful but don't really get any happiness or satisfaction from it. MP100 is an adolescent coming of age story though as opposed to OPM being about the ennui of a mid-20s freeter. It's a more subdued/grounded story though and imo the writing is overall better than OPM's.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Voted Worst Mom posted:

It's good. Mob's just a good dude and really human.

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff that's entertaining in MP100 but Mob himself is what really makes it as good of a series it is. Despite having his ridiculous powers, he just wants to be a good person with a normal life, and grows a lot throughout the series. I think it was his actions at the end of Chapter 30 or so "You don't have to respect me, but you are my brother." that pretty much cemented Mob as one of my favorite manga protagonists ever.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Sounds like a good stopping point for a first season, although I really want to see the exorcism vs the century's greatest psychic animated. Hopefully this does well enough for a second season that goes up through the fight vs the Claw Boss.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I love the brush stroke style when ceiling challenger appears, wish I knew how to make webms/gifs of clips easily.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
My optimistic hope is like, the anime goes up to Claw boss and ends on the broccoli. Maybe do an ova version of this current arc later if it does end up being the last arc.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Considering that even after "becoming a god" in the previous chapters his thoughts during their fight was terror over Mob erasing him, I wonder how much of his motivation to becoming a god has just been to be strong enough that something stronger can't get rid of him. We know that long before he met Mob, he was also nearly erased when he had an encounter with Mogami.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Truck-kun strikes alone and without warning. Mild Fever often just finishes off those already attacked by its ally Sporadic Light Cough.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ooh that nefarious fiend
Combined with random faint spells it Killed more martial artists, soldiers and warriors than anything else.

Even galactic emperors are powerless against it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

I forget, is Keiji Mogami, the ghost that trapped Mob in a year-long mind prison, still around?

He was captured by the spirit pokemon trainer guy then got released during the leadup to the fight vs claw boss and vanished afterwards I think.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Was wondering if one was going to give this arc a properly satisfying ending, but drat, think I'm also catching a bit of hay fever.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Huh? The scene where he discusses prices with other psychics, his prices are lower than theirs by a lot?

He also didn't sell expensive charms or oils like they did.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Reigen's biggest crime was underpaying Mob.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Well, with it now concluded, I think I can say for sure now that this is my all-time favorite series.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The important thing really is that it shows Mob being able to speak to a group of people and showing a normal emotional range in his conversations. I don't think a long where are they now is needed when for most of the cast it's "still in middle school.". We did already see in the tree/??? arcs that most of the former scar members did get normal jobs.

Also I do like that it implies that Mob is still friends with Tsubomi and talks with her a lot.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

Oh for fucks sake, if people are gonna keep dragging this up over and over instead of talking about that fantastic ending, fine.

I know how yen works. I already converted the loving currency. Reigen's top price (from memory) was something like 500,000 yen. That puts it firmly within the range of "a few grand" USD.

Reigen's top price was 20k yen and he said it would take something really serious to go that high. 200-500k is what the Sun Psychic Union's usual charge is.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Still badly underpaid Mob though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
including the really short x.5 chapters, 214 according to kissmanga's list

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is the best news of all time.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Holy poo poo that trailer looks good. Looks like we're getting at least both the exorcism and Mob and Reigen "break-up" arcs too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
A double length season that covers up to end of claw, then a short third season for broccoli, alien contact, and the final arc would be reasonable pace I think?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah we got nine episodes left, which should be the Super 5 stuff considering half the OP is about it.

I dunno if there's left in the manga for a whole season tho?

Yeah, I feel like Broccoli, Aliens, ???% arcs are maybe like 6-7 eps at most, considering the pace the anime goes through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'd guess at probably 7-8 eps worth of material after claw arc.