Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

I felt really bad about this aspect for a few months when I started my current role, but you actually shouldn't feel bad about being blocked by other people 80% of the time. It's someone else's problem to fix

This is mostly a gripe about being involved in stuff a few levels above my official pay grade but without a change in title/pay grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

IME if the pay and title is not immediately rectified, you should suddenly be unable to do the work. You'll never get a promised promotion if they are already milking you.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eh, we'll have a discussion about this during my next performance eval (scheduled a few weeks after Easter) and I suspect my manager already wants to change my title to more accurately reflect what I do day to day.

We're still at least a year out from finishing the new OT network, a project I "own", and I want to see it through. It'll also look really good on my resume :sun:

If things haven't changed materially by then, it will be time to move on.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Oh my god, I've been out of the IT industry for ten years and both nothing and everything changed. I got Azure and AWS accounts and I'm fumbling around trying to figure out what even to set up on a lab anymore.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Waffle House posted:

Oh my god, I've been out of the IT industry for ten years and both nothing and everything changed. I got Azure and AWS accounts and I'm fumbling around trying to figure out what even to set up on a lab anymore.

Ask questions here

and here:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791735
and here:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695559

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

guppy posted:

If I were senior management and I saw that I would discipline that middle manager for gaming metrics.

Of course, if I were senior management, I would like to think I would not implement stupid metrics.

sr mgmt is instead going to reward them for their meticulous care and maintenance of the queue and ensuring that everything is handled within 48 hrs :patriot:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wibla posted:

As I become more involved in "big picture stuff"... I do less actual work. Sigh.

I spend so much time making diagrams, telling people that "it's not a supported pattern", and having meetings about the both of the previous things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jokes on you all, I've carefully positioned myself to avoid all management tasks and remain a cog in the machine.

Downside is my pay reflects this stationary position. But I get to do real work and have zero stress.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lobsterboy posted:

sr mgmt is instead going to reward them for their meticulous care and maintenance of the queue and ensuring that everything is handled within 48 hrs :patriot:

I see the ticket volume is up about 25 percent, which isn't great, but the closure rate is also up as well as the average incident time is down significantly compared to the TTM average.! Increased ticket volume probably correlates to increased efficiency you've been able to get out of your team. Impressive for your first month! Congratulations, I'm giving you a 15K raise since you are making me look good to my boss.

[edit] Even typing that out made my blood pressure skyrocket.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I wish there was a quick way of asking my boss "what kind of neurodivergent are you" because we're both on some kind of spectrum and I don't know which one she is.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

tokin opposition posted:

I wish there was a quick way of asking my boss "what kind of neurodivergent are you" because we're both on some kind of spectrum and I don't know which one she is.

She might not know either.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Walk around with a big sonic plush with huge eyes, a samurai sword, and a box copy of the big bang theory and see which one she lights up the most on

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Walk around with a big sonic plush with huge eyes, a samurai sword, and a box copy of the big bang theory and see which one she lights up the most on

I already told her I like playing factorio so she should know by now where I'm at :p

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

George H.W. oval office posted:

My version of this is to talk about sports, then video games, then anime, and then Twin Peaks to see what they bite on hardest.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife really likes Twin Peaks. The show, not the restaurant.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I remember there was a big debate in here in which many begrudgingly supported teams, but the recent changes with “new teams” suck a lot of rear end. Particularly hate the important tag when @ing a group - even if you read the banner, it will continually ping you until you click into the chat.

I have become a Slack Supporter.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Well it looks like I made the cut at least, they're working on a timeline to transition my department to full time.

I have a question, I assume we're going to be making more when we transition inhouse full time, but is there a reasonable amount to ask for on offer when going from a contractor position?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

All I know is I am so happy with finally left the Skype for Business era. The client worked but was so... basic.

Teams I think is goood? The B2B stuff with Entra ID and being able to just IM or call people through the client is super useful and it just works. Teams does need a lot of polish. The way you paste in code has too much wasted space and :lol: still can't draw on the screen or use a laser pointer thing without it being insanely cumbersome. I'm looking at you feature #127900 which I've been able to do with every other major screen sharing platform for multiple years.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 24, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
"New" Teams is fine, and a definite step up from "old" teams in terms of performance.

Which is good! But boy, the switchover from old>new teams is a pain in the dick sometimes. The bug I hate the most, is that sometimes the switchover will cause the presence indicators to stop working in other office applications such as Outlook.

Which for me is not a big deal, but let me tell you judging by some of the tickets I see our helpdesk person taking for this issue, it's a big deal for some of these micro-manager types!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Which for me is not a big deal, but let me tell you judging by some of the tickets I see our helpdesk person taking for this issue, it's a big deal for some of these micro-manager types!

Wouldn’t you know that any time I investigated anything like that for a micro-manager that I always found it was a Microsoft issue that we couldn’t do anything about? So sorry! Guess you’ll have to be a better manager instead!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
New Teams puts me away the moment I get up and stays as such until I tab back in on it, no one gives me poo poo for it and they better not, considering I always respond instantly to everyone and everything

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

new teams crashes when I put my earbuds in as I'm getting a call/joining a meeting

if I do it first, no problem
if I wait until I'm fully joined, no problem

but if I do it at the same time, it's crash town

thats the only real problem i have with it

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Strange bug was that when adding my SSO account to our owner's org, Teams refused to let me "see" their tenant in the selector. It was listed in my web profile and poo poo. Just magically started working about a month later.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Reoxygenation posted:

New Teams puts me away the moment I get up and stays as such until I tab back in on it, no one gives me poo poo for it and they better not, considering I always respond instantly to everyone and everything

This is just for the productivity metrics your bosses get don't worry about it

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Speaking of issues with Teams, MS finally released some fixes for the New Teams Outlook plugin issue. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...orking%20again.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The office greybeard told me "Thanks for the help. We don't work together often, but this was nice."

Putting THAT on my resume!

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Dandywalken posted:

The office greybeard told me "Thanks for the help. We don't work together often, but this was nice."

Putting THAT on my resume!

Type that poo poo out, print it up, and frame it on your wall to look at when your imposter syndrome acts up. Congrats, you made it!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We had a DBA, now retired, who helped me with something when I was doing desktop support. He sent me a nice email afterward about it being a good experience working together. It does not do anything functional and was kind of a form thing, but I always thought it was both a very nice gesture and potentially helpful professionally. I never forgot it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, I've started making a point of calling out ( in public) when other engineers do something good. Even for senior and above. So often people only hear about the negative things that happen, need to balance that out a bit.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Day two of vacation: Have not done any computer touching, and have almost completed the community center. Only truffles missing, which I'll get in spring. :sun:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

xzzy posted:

Jokes on you all, I've carefully positioned myself to avoid all management tasks and remain a cog in the machine.

Downside is my pay reflects this stationary position. But I get to do real work and have zero stress.

This is a valid approach. Depends on how your personality works, I guess. Personally, I’m on the same track.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I moved into Management a while ago and I do not hate it. Except the meetings, so many meetings that could have been emails fistfights Teams chats...

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Fool posted:

Yeah, I've started making a point of calling out ( in public) when other engineers do something good. Even for senior and above. So often people only hear about the negative things that happen, need to balance that out a bit.

Especially with the tier one guys. When they go above and beyond or have answers to questions I would have asked because they took good notes, it’s so loving nice. Competence is always the very best surprise or gift I can receive in my job.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

For people whose entire "job" is meetings senior management is loving terrible at managing them.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Darchangel posted:

This is a valid approach. Depends on how your personality works, I guess. Personally, I’m on the same track.

I want to have a life and not work 60+ hours a week. I've seen too many folks think they are getting up the management ladder only to hit a management ceiling of team lead, but be expected to always be available.

gently caress. That.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The correct term is "class traitor," or if you're a moderate, a "leech"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
got a ticket yesterday from someone asking how they can more effectively rickroll ppl in slack

we rickrolled them with a non YouTube version of it in reply.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

ziasquinn posted:

got a ticket yesterday from someone asking how they can more effectively rickroll ppl in slack

we rickrolled them with a non YouTube version of it in reply.

That’s a great ticket.

Shoulda told them about HTML anchors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
It's a too many pies, not enough fingers kind of day.