Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

psydude posted:

I get bored too quickly to do the same thing for 15 years.

You could do Linux admin for 15 years bouncing through all kinds of different stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

adorai posted:

And that's why asking for 15 years of Linux admin experience is dumb. Furthermore, what relevance is redhat linux 5 to today's distros? Unless, I guess they could still be running redhat Linux 5, which might explain their need.

I agree asking for 'x years experience in y' is stupid in general.

A better thing to say would be 'beginner/advanced/expert' level of x, but everyone is going to have dfferent definitions of that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is it bad that I want to switch ERP systems simply so we won't have to keep our useless AS/400 guy around anymore? Guy is a complete moron and so loving useless.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

What are you using? I'm assuming he's just a programmer?

Harris Data. He's not a programmer, he just knows how the system 'works' (I use that term loosely) and getting information out of him is like getting water out of a rock.

He also has terrible, terrible communication skills. But he's been here 25 years :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

lol has he written anything down?

There are a lot of people this think job security is making sure no one know how to do your job.

Not really. Today we installed a keylogger/screen recorder so we can see what he actually does.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Also it definitely doesn't sound like your job to find out what someone you don't manage does all day. Stay far away from that surveillance poo poo.

Who said I'm not his manager?

This guy is so incompetent. Watching him use a computer is like watching my grandma use one. Yesterday we had a call with UPS (that he took a month to schedule) so that one of their guys could re-configure this middleware that hits our iSeries and pulls customer info over when you scan an order, the email address wasn't being imported.

So the person on the phone asks him to go to https://www.gotoassist.com and it took him almost 5 minutes to get to the actual site. Typed the name in wrong 50 times, then he typed it into Google, then it took another 3 minutes for him to enter the 9-digit or however long invitation code in...He can barely use a Windows computer. It's scary.

He never emails the rest of the team about stuff, he always comes over to your desk to tell you in person, no matter how simple the thing is. The ongoing joke is that his Outlook broke a couple years ago and he can't bring himself to ask anyone for help on how to set it back up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So what's everybody's work load on pre-t-day?

I don't even know why I came in today. Should have "worked from home". At least traffic wasn't bad.

Moving 14 people to random empty desks throughout the building so that the furniture installers can get work done next week.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I seriously hate support contracts. What loving MBA invented this poo poo?

Oh, well our software is $2,500. You want support on that poo poo? Another $1,800 a year, bitch.

loving ACT!. If you log into one database, you can magically see things that belong to another database. Then refresh the browser and things to back to the way they should be. Defective loving software and they want you to shell out thousands to open a support contract.

The best part is, "well you never renewed back in 2011 so you'll have to pay for the last 3 years of support to get up to date". Eat poo poo!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress personal printers. The last place I was at did that. 20 different printers (depending on when they bought them), 20 different toners, they wouldn't let anyone but IT change toners (regular users are too stupid to do it). They had to have had 100 printers in that company for 250 people. loving nightmare. And they used refurb toners that are absolute poo poo because they are cheap fucks and maybe the guy who owns the toner refill company blows the IT manager. Who knows... They buy the printers from the toner place as well. Talk about getting hosed in the rear end.

I swear 20% of helpdesk was printer or toner related. Oh, and about half of the personal printers were the HP's that you couldn't shut the wifi off on so our AP's were always freaking out. Ugh.

New place I'm at has like 4 printer/copiers that are networked and that's the only thing people print to. Very nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Super Slash posted:

"Ah yes, I can see the 2nd BTR Roller assembly is breaking down, let me just get one out the cupboard and swap it out then we'll be fixed in a jiffy" SAID NO ONE EVER
I used to keep some common HP parts (basically the maintenance kits and some stuff like fusers) around, so when someone did something like fed a paper full of white-out or staples through I could break their fingers then go replace whatever was bad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fromoutofnowhere posted:

What vendors do you folks use for hardware purchases? I've currently got SHI and PC Connections, PC Connections turned around a quote with-in 4 hours, while I'm still waiting for SHI. NewEggBusiness won't answer their phones and I need to hunt down several more quotes for this refresh.

CDW, Dell, NewEgg, Amazon

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Venusy posted:

:yotj: Bit of advice needed since I'm rather new at this: I left an apprenticeship at the end of January, and accepted an offer (subject to criminal record/background/reference checks) on Monday. Today, a position that I really wanted but assumed I hadn't got finally gave me a request to interview. Should they offer me the position, it's slightly better pay, and a much shorter (and cheaper) commute than the one I accepted the offer for. I really don't like going back on my word, but I haven't actually signed anything yet aside from the permission for the criminal record/background checks to be done. Am I OK in rejecting the first offer if I do get a new one?

EDIT: I spoke to the recruiter on the first position, and they got me the PDF copy of the contract to sign with potential for starting on Tuesday if the criminal record check comes back Monday. :doh:

It's not really that unusual to have some accept and offer and then turn it down for some reason before they start.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

It's 2015, we've had mice figured out for how many decades now?

Apple came out with the touchpad in the unibody MacBook Pro in 2008.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

Touchpads have been available since the 90s. Even 90s Powerbooks had them.

Edit: touchpad trackpad they're both mice, point being this poo poo isn't rocket science.

I'm talking about the first ones that weren't complete rear end.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

myron cope posted:

I don't understand why Lenovo swaps the Fn and Ctrl keys. I know there is a BIOS setting to swap them back but why even do it in the first place

Did IBM do this and Lenovo hasn't changed it?

Apple does the same thing...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

How do you guys handle the 'only one person in IT should be able to change email passwords and potentially access others email'? It just seems like it would cripple us if someone locked themselves out or forgot their password (we have hosted Exchange btw)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MF_James posted:

Basically it's easily readable by people with varying backgrounds in programming. Anyone that has a bit of programming experience can read it and get the gist of it for the most part.

Maybe I'm a huge idiot but coming from C it took me a while to figure out how loops like that worked in Ruby/etc. You have to learn the little 'tricks' of the syntax. Especially when you have a book that shows you could but doesn't explain it like you're a 5 year old.

code:
['foo', 'bar', 'baz'].each_with_index {|j, i| puts "#{i} #{j}"}
That is incredibly simple to me now, but at first it was a brainfuck compared to a C loop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I never realized "100mbit up/down fiber" meant "not at the same time though".
Says who?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Our ISP, Lightower networks. They said our 100/100 "only means it is a 100mbit pipe, and if you're downloading 75mbit, you'll only have 25mbit left for uploading".

I thought that was nuts so I asked RCN how they do 100/100 and they said theirs works the same way.

Kind of weird but on this 100/100 I've gotten as high as 115mbit down, but never once in half a year got above 40mbit up. Going to ask the ISP about that but I want to have my story straight.

Anything I've had from a 'real' ISP such as AT&T (circuits like bonded T1's or fiber) is always full-speed in both directions. Even our fiber circuit from the local cable provider will run full out 25/25. Some janky local ISP or something like DSL or cable I can see them doing funny stuff with.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MSP's can be great but nightmare scenario is being stuck at some client site every other week until 11pm cutting over servers etc.

They're also great for having clients pull you aside and say "Hey we'll pay you more than you're making now if you come work for us full-time."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What do you guys use for remote control?

We have 90 local users, 5-10 of them are laptop based and can be out of the office. Just need to remote in when they call for support.

Right now we're using LogMeIn. Works fine I guess, but we're missing one feature we'd like. That would the ability to send non-employees (a customer for example, having trouble with one of our websites) to something like logmein.mycompany.com so we can remotely assist them with poo poo.

GoToAssist just seems to work goofy when it comes to how admins access local PC's and how credentials are stored, LogMeIn does this part really well. My helpdesk guy is trying a couple programs out.

I've used TeamViewer and Dameware before and liked both of those. Maybe we should just buy a separate product (Join.me for $20/month?) to do the remote, non-employee poo poo.

Suggestions/comments?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What's wrong with Lync screen sharing or Microsoft Remote Assistance, both of which you're probably already paying for? The only issue I've seen with Lync is anything that requires a UAC prompt, but an admin pssession off to the side can generally do anything that requires elevation on the remote machine.

We don't have Lync and we'd like to be able to connect to people inside the network from outside (let's say an admin is at home) or connect to people outside the network, from inside (admin at the office, laptop user is wherever the gently caress)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

There's no reason not to go to Office365, right?

I mean we're already paying $10.00/month for Hosted Exchange, we might as well pay $2.50 more and get Office and poo poo right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Methanar posted:

To be fair the Canadian prices were probably a response to the Canadian dollar eating poo poo.

Get back down to 0.6/0.7, where you should be, Maple money!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

This industry has a real short memory, so I'm just going to remind everyone that Blaster happened once and it will happen again.

CodeRed, Nimda, Melissa, Sobig, Slammer, MyDoom, Conficker, Stuxnet....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

VPS provider X has a sea of Windows servers with RDP open to the outside world.

As long as you follow the normal procedures of secure passwords and non-standard user names you should be okay 99.9% of the time. At minimum you would want some kind of firewall or at least allow connections only from certain IP's, and ideally you would like a VPN login required.

RDP is a lot more secure than it was just a few years ago but you still run the risk of a new exploit coming out and then a worm popping every open RDP server on the internet in like 2-3 days. It's just a lot more likely to happen with RDP than it is something like SSH.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

Firewall rules need to be put into place to prevent clients on the VPN from communicating with other services, and that's assuming they haven't just been configured to land on the same subnet as a bunch of other internal devices. Your VPN connected client can propagate malware into the local network if the appropriate firewall rules and NAC rules aren't in place.

An RDC connection just provides a tunnel into a specific internal resource. It's far harder for client resident malware to propagate that way since there is no direct route from the client to other internal resources.

I like this so that people don't have to have a work laptop to remote in. They can use their home PC, they're not going to gently caress anything up by just RDP'ing in.

Otherwise you have to get a laptop, VPN client, anti-virus, lock the machine down, make sure it's updated... The bad thing is they have to leave their desktop on 24/7, and have a second machine to remote in (so that fucks people who only use a laptop), or you have to setup a terminal server,

Then the question becomes 'how do I get on the network with my iPad', and then you say "what do you need to do with it", then you explain how you can get Outlook without the VPN, get on the ERP system without the VPN, the only thing you can't do is get your 'files' which doesn't matter because you don't have Word/Excel and if you buy them for the iPad you're not going to like them so get the gently caress out of my face random manager dude.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Erwin posted:

Or they can use one of several remote desktop apps on the app store that support a Remote Desktop Gateway, including the one from Microsoft.

Right - but then it's "Where's my keyboard? Where's my mouse? I can't see poo poo on my iPhone! blah blah blah"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think people in here say twice your normal hourly rate, for the trouble of dealing with your own taxes and it not being stable work.

E: I have never been in that position, though.

Double? Quadruple if it's not like a 3-month, 4 hour a week project

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

My math skills are basically at a precalculus level, and I don't have the best understanding of code, but dammit I want to learn. I have some pretty decent knowledge of computers, but not nearly as much as people think I do
Do you live somewhere that has 'coding bootcamps'?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone use Office @ Hand from AT&T?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Least lovely AV software for < 150 Windows computers?

Currently using Kasperky but we're close to renewal time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Hey guys, I have a PSA for you:

Don't actually put "Code Monkey" or "Computer Janitor" on your resumes. Thanks in advanced!

"Ninja rockstar warrior guru"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite was seeing someone write something like "you can stop looking because you've found your guy!" in his cover letter. Shine on, you confident bastard :allears:.

We didn't give him an interview, but we all got a decent laugh at least.

I did that one time and even fixed their website's lovely resume uploader (it didn't handle duplicates correctly). Included my thought process and 3 different ways to fix it blah blah.

They never called :lol:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

Seriously this. Stuff like "don't go on Facebook at work" should be handled by their supervisor, not IT, unless someone above you orders you to block it.

Don't forget this is 2016 so if they want to go on Facebook they'll just pull out their phone. Blocking social media is completely pointless unless you're in a reception dead zone or you're in a highly secured facility or something.

My helpdesk guy was poking around in firewall options, and sent me a list of poo poo he wanted to block. This was after like 6 people were streaming March Madness basketball games last week.

"People are wasting bandwidth", "they shouldn't be doing this at work", etc

I told him to leave it wide open. it's not worth the hassle or meetings I'm going to be dragged into when people start getting blocked. I let him turn ONE category on, I can't rembemer what it was but I think it was "known attack sites" or something like that. Within two hours someone put a ticket in, one of our own websites was blocked. Hosted on a third party service, but still.

I just told him "See? Not worth it. Just open it back up. If people are loving around, someone will tell on them and we'll have their traffic logs and then HR can do what they wish."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

We're the opposite. Block all the poo poo and whitelist known internal sites. If people complain, too bad.

That works if it's like that from the beginning. If you just up and do that out of nowhere, heads will roll.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I'll argue against blocking sites based on content all day, but if you aren't at least blocking sites known to serve up malware you are missing a critical point of protecting your network. "Known attack sites" sounds like just such a thing, and I would argue that if your own website is being blocked it is either hacked and serving up malware or had been in the recent past.

I agree, as annoying as false positives can be.

But the site it's blocking is Instapage, we just direct a few domains there for sales/info pages instead of building a website for it.

Edit: and I went back to what I emailed him and I told him to leave that on

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How should I give an unstoppable dinosaur of a 20" CRT a good sendoff? Obviously nobody wants it, and I don't want to take it with me when I move, because it's about 75 pounds.

Let it live in a MAME cabinet

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

For $1000 raise/$2000 bonus per cert I would gladly bullrush every entry level cert on the planet.
The first place I worked at started techs at $18,000 (this was back in 2000 but poo poo, that's $8/hr) and then you got $1,000 raise for every CompTIA, Microsoft, or Novell (again this was 2000) cert you took.

So basically guys would study up and pass the 6 tests or whatever you needed for MCSE, then Novell CNA or whatever they called it, and they'd be making like...$35,000 a year. And then after they figured out that wasn't jack poo poo they would end up just getting a full-time job at a regular company doing less work with less stress making $50,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sefal posted:

Sadly IPhones are out of the question. the company is moving forward with Windows Phones (lumias)

hah

hahahahah