Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Been kicking this around, not sure if this is the best thread for it but wanted to vent: I've got an EHR job that pays decent and is pretty easy at least compared to my previous job. There's a security spot that opened up that I meet or exceed and it should pay the same. I went ahead and applied and interviewed for it, and am now waiting to hear back. I'm just not 100% sure if I actually want it? I feel like security would be great career-wise (they offer lots of training for certs for one) but there's always the possibility I could suck at it and/or hate it. On the other hand, I'm starting to gel with my current team (enough to feel guilty about leaving) and while there's not a whole lot of potential advancement in the company with the EHR job, there's jobs for it all over and I can always pursue certs and education on my own time. But then going back, my pre-EHR experience and certs are in computer touching and it feels like my current job was a diagonal step from where I was aiming towards.

I dunno it could all be moot since I might not get an offer. It's almost to the point where I don't WANT an offer so I don't have to decide. Which I realize is an idiotic line of thinking: when I looked at it originally I thought "Well you can't pick between jobs you haven't applied for so just do it" but for some reason I'm stressing about the possibility of choosing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's a video game

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Doctors love iPhones. Doctors will always get the newest iPhone and then forget all steps involved with enrolling it

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Question (not 100% sure if appropriate thread) we havemore and more distant remote users who get company laptops, so far the best thing people have come up with (if the user can't visit campus) is for a tech to log in as the user to build the profile then ship it to them. Seems like there's got to be a more elegant way? I've seen some stuff with logging on with a generic account VPNing in and then doing a "run as" but ehhhhhhh

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Thinking out loud here: Potentially going from my relatively chill Epic job to being one of the two SCCM\Intune etc guys, only to find out that the remaining guy is also quitting so they are scrambling to fill two spots. Sounds pretty good for my odds and there would be also be Azure stuff I've been wanting to learn, but also sounds like a distinctly unchill time to be new and try to figure out something fresh that touches everything

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Regarding pay chat, right now a guy had half his sys admin team jump ship in a two month period so he is scrambling to fill internally. One of the best tech 2s did well and got the job offer, and HR offered.... less money than he currently making. Less money than the absolute bottom of the range for a system admin. Just flabbergasting

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That you cant react with the thinking emoji to messages in teams is the worst

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

My predecessor left a 21H2 image that works fine on a PC but goes fucky on any type of laptop, and the task sequence completes just fine so who knows what is causing it. I'm not sure our half hour hand-off session was sufficient training but I've got a backup plan of "do it all over again"

SlowBloke posted:

If your teams admin isn't an rear end in a top hat, you should have giphy for your meme needs

Oh yeah gifs are my lifeblood but I also want to stamp it onto every message that comes my way

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Them: "Hey don't worry about that upgrade, I will take care of that"
Me: "That's great, that one touches a lot of workstations and requires a reboot each time"
Them: "Yes. I will also re-iterate at the end of this meeting that I am taking care of this"

The next day:

Them: "Hey it turns out that upgrade requires a reboot and touches a lot of workstations, so if you could get that taken care of that would be great."
Me: "..."

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Did they flip off basic auth for everyone everywhere yesterday? Not really my sphere; We only had one small piece left using it but even so the guys sounded like they got caught pretty flatfooted

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

They who? It's not like basic auth suddenly stopped being a thing that exists everywhere, if that's what you mean.

Yeah sorry, I was trying to be vague but overshot; I think they just straight up forgot about the specific system that stopped working and tried some CYA blame shifting to Microsoft because "they warned us a year ago but then didn't say anything when it stopped working yesterday" .

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Part-time helpdesk applicant's desired pay is 6 figures (negotiable); there is a point where it DOES hurt to ask

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

i am a moron posted:

That is not underpaying for the helpdesk

If we paid based on how much the job sucked then definitely yes but we dont do that yet

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I dont think I want to be an SCCM admin anymore

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Theres a lot of gentleman farmers who own the land but have other people do most of the work and just occasionally run the combine or what have you, I would imagine that's what a tech bro is visualizing when they talk farming

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Love looking at the powershell scripting we've been using for years for several successive update pushes, plugging a bunch of Write-Output "Now initiating step 2 of 32-bit OS branch A" all over the place to puzzle out how this If-Then ForEach nightmare tree was working and discovering that none of it ever did anything because it was coded wrong so it just skips to the end where there's a cleanup utility. And this is coding for babies I don't know how real programmers live

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mandatory department-wide friday meeting, probably fine

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Your application A push today is causing problems! Look at this ticket! Can we please please stop the push?!

Oh no! hm, this ticket is for application B?

It happened exactly after your push!

Oh no! hm, but, on spending 3 more seconds reading the ticket it was put in yesterday? And they report it's been happening for a few days?

*six hours of silence and counting*

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

"Office 2019 will be supported until 2025. Office 2019 will not connect to online services in two weeks. We are large; we contain multitudes." -Microsoft

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

We need a new app push built. I get sent the file. It appears to be the entire installed application's folder, and a .config, in a zip file. I ask, "Is there an installer? This appears to be a zip, is the intention to just extract it and copy over the config?" they reply "Yes these are the raw files, you will add these to a new folder in Program Files and create links for the user to launch it."

S...surely this isn't best practice? Am I the one out of the loop? Jank-rear end install script, jank-rear end detection method, jank-rear end uninstall script?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I guess citrix really pissed off epic since they're offering free assistance getting off of citrix lol. Of course they have no ulterior motives of their own surely