Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Trying to get an idea since I’ve only worked one support role so far.

How many tickets do you usually handle a day normally?

I know it's not directly relevant but when I was working for an ISP, I would troubleshoot 60-80 calls on a busy day.

Looking back on that job, while awful, it sure taught be a lot of valuable skills that have proved useful over the course of my career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LochNessMonster posted:

On the topic of coworkers you don’t like.

How would you go about meeting the current boss of a former coworker you didn’t get along with? I’m sure working with one of his employees will come up and I don’t want to throw the coworker under the bus.

The problem is, there really wasn’t a single positive experience in the short amount of time we worked together. I’ve been thinking it over for a few days and I have no idea how I’m going to anwser “how did you like working with x” without lying or saying something negative and and I’d rather do neither.

If pressed for an answer, I'd give one. Just be professional with it. There is a difference between "that is the sorriest motherfucker I ever did see" and "we never seemed to be on the same page. I'm glad he (or I) found opportunities elsewhere."

The last thing I'd personally do is lie to someone who is looking for an honest opinion, especially if it was for someone I didn't care for.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Good morning! My boss emailed me late last week to disable TLS 1.0 & 1.1 on some servers. Cool, easy enough!

Disabling them broke some SQL poo poo, and I had to re-enable them. Lame!

I'm sure those on-call DBAs were thrilled!

Which makes me wonder how much I really want to do DBA work because I drat sure don't want to start taking on-call duties again.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Collateral Damage posted:

On the topic of database performance a pitfall I've run into a few times is that your database engine will cache tables in memory and as long as your tables are small enough to stay cached you won't notice how inefficient your queries are because it's still lightning fast as long as they're in RAM. So you load up a few gigs of test data and run your tests and everything passes with flying colors, so you sign off and put it in production.

Fast forward x months/years and your production data has grown to the point where it no longer fits entirely in RAM cache and your performance drops off a cliff and now all your users are mad about it.

Database and query optimizations are something that scratches the itch for me. I don't know why, and I'm not very good at it, but I love tucking into a performance problem like that. It's not unheard of to see hundreds, even thousands, of times performance increase if you know what knobs to turn.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Internet Explorer posted:

Well if you can help the Helldivers devs it would be greatly appreciated. The gamers are getting antsy.

Why don't they just scale horizontally? :yaycloud:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gucci Loafers posted:

:same:

I was never a VP or Exec but goddamn if when I'm literally walking the office hallway to get a coffee I am often thinking about crap like the most recent MS Graph Permission abuse. If you want people to pay attention be succent and get to the point. Sending out meeting minutes or actually putting some notes in your meeting before sending it out really, really helps.

I'm a firm believer in the power of clear and succinct communication, and that the lack of communication is the cause of most headaches. In business and in life, people usually just want to know what to expect and what is expected of them.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Internet Explorer posted:

Well if you can help the Helldivers devs it would be greatly appreciated. The gamers are getting antsy.

Coming back to this... I'm watching a stream where the dude has been sitting at the "Servers are at capacity" screen for who knows how long. For any of you nerds playing the game, has there been any word on why they haven't been able to scale up to handle the capacity? Where's the bottleneck?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It's soon to be VMwhere, amirite?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 26, 2024

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'd love to travel like that but I'm too drat tall for economy seats. Flying on a budget is miserable for me. Which unfortunately rules out (possibly) cool consulting jobs that require frequent travel.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

:hai:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sepist posted:

We're using AI for auto-remediation of tickets in our SOC and my understanding is it's very very good with a low amount of incorrectly closed tickets.

At a high-level, what kind of tickets is it resolving?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Serperoth posted:

Got my first actual IT job offer yesterday :yotj:

After a total of five years in customer support (calls, then email for the last year, having taken 9 months away before it).

Congrats!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cimber posted:

If when we review the queue we see that a ticket is about to 'go amber' we are to immediately copy the details out, close it and then open a new one that is 'green'.

Yeah, I'd be throwing them under the bus if possible to do without jeopardizing yourself. That is something the boss's boss may want to know.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cimber posted:

So i had my SRE internal interview yesterday. I think it went pretty well...

I'm off this week to burn carry over vacation days from last year, and I really am fighting the urge to log in every twenty minutes to check my mail and see if my results came back yet.

Yeah, the worst part of those situations is the waiting but you got this!

I'm struggling a bit at my current job. It has zero stress, the pay is amazing but the work is literally mind-numbing. A large part of me wants to look for the door and get more fulfilling work but the practical side is telling me to suck it up. The IT market feels a bit grim at the moment in terms of great jobs for great pay so I need to stay put.

It's hard to make that mental switch though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cyks posted:

Think I’d go back to retail nursing first.

I keep my nursing license active as a "juuuuuuust in case".

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The security side of SAP is awful. You have to remember a bunch of tcodes that mean nothing.

Su is user, pa is HR, SE is tables.

I pitty anyone who goes into it

Su(do) Users
your pa(L) in HR
s(pecial) e(xcel) tables

Easy peasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks Ants posted:

Took a mental health day today by which I mean "dropped out of a town hall teams meeting after 15 minutes" and went AWOL for the day to sit around outside

The best of days.

I'm due for one of those.