Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'm glad to be out of the ironworking business where fights, threats, and weapons were a fairly regular occurrence.

Boat business was kind of like that.

I miss sitting outside and getting paid for it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I've seen people basically cut wrestling promos in meetings before and had to get physically separated. Automotive brainworms destroy people.

Not gonna lie, I've cut pro wrestling promos on coworkers who wanted to throw my team under the bus.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I generally like my boss, but jesus does he drink the kool aid of whatever is new in tech.

Today it was him saying we're all going to get rid of monitors soon and just use VR headsets.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'm glad to be out of the ironworking business where fights, threats, and weapons were a fairly regular occurrence.

My dad worked in the toolmaking trade in the 80s and he said that there would regularly be fights at his shop where people would just go out back and swing it out. Then they would return about 10 minutes later, smoke a joint, then get back to welding.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zorak of Michigan posted:

You wouldn't have mistaken it for a threat, even if it was anatomically possible for any human being's rear end to fit a v480.

There's that very famous photo on the internet of a man who could probably do that

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Defenestrategy posted:

Not gonna lie, I've cut pro wrestling promos on coworkers who wanted to throw my team under the bus.

What does that sound like? I mean what words in a professional sense that don’t make you sound like a douche.

I’m just trying to picture it, but I might be taking the “cutting a promo” too literally

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I generally like my boss, but jesus does he drink the kool aid of whatever is new in tech.

Today it was him saying we're all going to get rid of monitors soon and just use VR headsets.

Maybe in 20 years if current rate of investment stays the same. The weight issue isn’t going away anytime soon.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Tell me you work at a mostly dude workplace without telling me you work at a mostly dude work place

Women are much more civilized, we just don't invite people we're mad at out to work lunches and claim to have forgotten if pressed

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

On the topic of coworkers you don’t like.

How would you go about meeting the current boss of a former coworker you didn’t get along with? I’m sure working with one of his employees will come up and I don’t want to throw the coworker under the bus.

The problem is, there really wasn’t a single positive experience in the short amount of time we worked together. I’ve been thinking it over for a few days and I have no idea how I’m going to anwser “how did you like working with x” without lying or saying something negative and and I’d rather do neither.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just say you'd rather not talk about them, they should respect that wish

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I need to actually participate in this thread during weekends and not just engage in threadomancy but this hits close:

skooma512 posted:

They said hands-on experience. I don't know how far I can stretch it when my current job couldn't possibly involve Azure and it's not like I can make a home lab replica of an enterprise environment.

I've found it productive and helpful to take stuff I did during training/study/practice for a cert and try to find a use case for it in my current job. Try to make it happen in Azure. Congratulations, you have just migrated Application X or Legacy Infrastructure Y to Azure, or worked with Azure Service 1 to align with Business Goal foo, etc.

The fact that it never saw production, and that it wasn't asked for, is immaterial. If you can boil down the use case to something in Azure and make its "hello world" equivalent happen, you have hands-on experience with it. If they ask about it at an interview: "I had recently achieved my Microsoft Certified Azure Clouder Person cert and wanted to see if we could move Application X to Azure as a cost saving/time saving/organization saving move. I cloned the DB to Azure SQL and set up VMs to talk to it/created Function Apps to connect to the DB and query it successfully/App Services instances and an API Management front-end to successfully simulate a public facing endpoint. When I presented the solution along with its cost and operational savings, our senior leadership opted to keep the status quo, but it was a valuable exercise to demonstrate Azure functionality and cloud migrations. We have a framework to do the same now, and we'll be applying it for possible future opportunities to migrate/lift-and-shift/re-architect."

My move from on-prem to Azure was the MSCE Cloud Platform cert and a lot of "I did a lot of this in prep for my cert" or "I tested this out as a lab exercise after I got my cert". List Azure stuff on your resume for the last year and change, just be prepared to speak to it. "Fake it 'til you make it" applies, as long as you can speak to what you're faking well enough to come across as knowledgable.

The Fool posted:

I like https://learntocloud.guide/ better than Cloud Resume

I'm going to take a possibly controversial tack: these are worthless unless you are a coder/developer and want to write code/develop apps in the cloud. If you are a Computer Toucher/Computer Janitor who is very good at helpdesk/sysadmin skills but lousy at Powershell, you have options outside of these. The more we lean on "you need to know Javascript/bash commands beyond cd/ls/sudo" and the idea of The Cloud as a place where you have to be a programmer, the more talented infrastructure people we lose to The Cloud.

The unfortunate thing here is that I can't point anyone to "how to Do The Cloud without having to be in the programming space" other than understanding sysadmin stuff at scale. SCCM and Group Policy lead into understanding Intune and Azure Policy (at least in concept - the goddamn JSON part sucks but can be done). A little bit of Powershell leads into (ugh) ARM or Cloudformation, and those make Terraform instantly easier. AD structure gives way to Azure AD/Entra admin units and groups, and also Azure resource management groups/subscriptions/OUs.

If you are willing and able to learn new stuff, focus on your strengths in The Cloud and don't be deterred by "you must be a programmer" curricula. Just whatever you do, under no circumstances should you waste your time, effort, and money on A Cloud Guru. They leave off entire massive chunks of technologies from their exam prep courses. Find a reputable Wiley or Sybex book or Udemy course for the exams that line up with what you are good at and can tolerate during the workday.

Even if you ignore all my other advice, I beg of you, at least remember that part about A Cloud Guru. I've given them plenty of chances over the years. They are unreliable and not worth the money, even if it's somebody else's money.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

tehinternet posted:

What does that sound like? I mean what words in a professional sense that don’t make you sound like a douche.

I’m just trying to picture it, but I might be taking the “cutting a promo” too literally

It's just ranting at the workplace. It's not going to be professional. Might also involve a personal callout in the board room.

All the better if you can work it into a story, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh7H_YIuqgU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

with love, as a former sysadmin doing cloud stuff if you are not working on expanding your bash/python you will be behind the curve

that being said, the things you will be working on are not the same things as a random app developer and no-one is saying they are

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Real coders use HTML anyway

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Real HTML coders use Hot Dog Pro

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And then some jerk had to come up with CSS and ruin it all.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Accipiter posted:

Real HTML coders use Hot Dog Pro

Now that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long, long time

Thanks Ants posted:

Just say you'd rather not talk about them, they should respect that wish

Sounds reasonable, let’s hope it’s good enough. I know the boss better than the co worker and it’s an informal meeting. He might think it’s weird I wouldn’t want to talk about them.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I mean if you're really just trying to avoid conflict and not throw them under the bus I don't see the harm in a white lie. Just say "yeah they were nice" and change the subject or something

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

mattfl posted:

Meanwhile I have an actual horrible employee at my hospital that should have been fired months ago but apparently the process has changed and there are a million hoops that must be jumped through now to fire someone.

Meanwhile my hospital hasn’t given me enough work to do so I’ve been spending my time doing schoolwork for a network engineering degree.

Unfortunately I’m getting stuck at a very basic ansible script for school. Error after error about a q value being the wrong length and no amount of googling is helping.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LochNessMonster posted:

On the topic of coworkers you don’t like.

How would you go about meeting the current boss of a former coworker you didn’t get along with? I’m sure working with one of his employees will come up and I don’t want to throw the coworker under the bus.

The problem is, there really wasn’t a single positive experience in the short amount of time we worked together. I’ve been thinking it over for a few days and I have no idea how I’m going to anwser “how did you like working with x” without lying or saying something negative and and I’d rather do neither.

If pressed for an answer, I'd give one. Just be professional with it. There is a difference between "that is the sorriest motherfucker I ever did see" and "we never seemed to be on the same page. I'm glad he (or I) found opportunities elsewhere."

The last thing I'd personally do is lie to someone who is looking for an honest opinion, especially if it was for someone I didn't care for.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

tehinternet posted:

I’m just trying to picture it, but I might be taking the “cutting a promo” too literally.

Lemme tell ya something tehinternet, I may have sounded like a complete douche to the guy accusing my team of being gently caress ups, and all my fans right here in $currentcompany knows that I may be a jerk, but atleast my team over delivers on time every single night. And let me tell ya something brother if you ever accuse my team again I will see you in the steel cage this tuesday at the gwinett arena.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dandywalken posted:

drat, our local hospital fired half their IT tech folks. This must be one of those "dumpster fires"

But who will handle all their URGENT: Mouse broken and URGENT: Paper jam and URGENT!!: [thermal] Printer out of ink tickets now?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

skill issue, ticket closed

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

y'all, somebody just asked me to install a $500 i9 desktop processor into their Dell Inspiron from 2015... and I had to explain to a very confused post doc why you just can't do that.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

I used to work for a well known hip-hop radio station. There was a police security camera specifically for the building entrance in response to the numerous shootings that occurred between beefing hip-hop stars.

I miss it so goddamn much

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Eyy got a raise, 4.5% but it's still above the average around here, so I'll take it!!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Reoxygenation posted:

Eyy got a raise, 4.5% but it's still above the average around here, so I'll take it!!

A raise is a raise! Congrats.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Found out my boss was fired because our corporate owner is installing their own head of People & Culture lol. They have 90,000 employees vs our 300. I don't really understand it or what they hope to accomplish. We barely qualify as a line item on their shareholder reports.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

teethgrinder posted:

Found out my boss was fired because our corporate owner is installing their own head of People & Culture lol. They have 90,000 employees vs our 300. I don't really understand it or what they hope to accomplish. We barely qualify as a line item on their shareholder reports.

He was doing that other person a favor by giving them a sinecure. It's not any harder to figure out than that.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at the Senior Admin and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another Sys Admin, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a project management freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Agile to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at Stand Up, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Agile KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try!
So Senior Admin, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Stand Up. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Stand Up. See Senior, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Stand Up.

not an emptyquote

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G07NZs2v18

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Today is a special kind of day where I get some NOC tech guy on the phone trying to get his first time log in with ivanti so he can download his profile and in the middle of his call his very new york mother grabs the phone and goes "Are you gonna be able to get my Son up and running?? He's gotta start working."

Makes you really feel like you stepped into someone else's shoes lmfao.

Also it kind of rules but in the last few weeks I've become queen shithead of ancient software nobody else wants to touch and I basically just come in, configure stuff for a few hours and then as soon as it dies down I chiill with my steamdeck and take chats, but nobody even seems to expect me to pick up a chat or call for the first four hours unless we're getting hammered.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I'm not really sure what I'm asking for so bear with me.

I have a bunch of pages of columnar data in PDF format that I need imported into tab-delimited files. I can use OCR to get most of the data, but the resulting copy/paste ends up with a TON of crappy text recognition that needs to be cleaned up by manually comparing the CSV file against the original PDF. It's tedious work and I have about 60 pages of data, each with 20 columns and over 150 rows of data to process.

I want to farm this out, paying $XX per page for someone else to do this. What do I even google for this?

"data transcription" returns a grip of audio and video AI crap that isn't what I need. I was thinking AWS Mechanical Turk and the gig economy there, but of course everything is overcomplicated and requires programming to create a job.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Chatgpt

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Agrikk posted:

I have a bunch of pages of columnar data in PDF format that I need imported into tab-delimited files. I can use OCR to get most of the data, but the resulting copy/paste ends up with a TON of crappy text recognition that needs to be cleaned up by manually comparing the CSV file against the original PDF. It's tedious work and I have about 60 pages of data, each with 20 columns and over 150 rows of data to process.

I want to farm this out, paying $XX per page for someone else to do this. What do I even google for this?

"data transcription" returns a grip of audio and video AI crap that isn't what I need. I was thinking AWS Mechanical Turk and the gig economy there, but of course everything is overcomplicated and requires programming to create a job.

I'll do it for $25/page

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Agrikk posted:

Fiverr? If that’s still around anyway

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

skooma512 posted:

But who will handle all their URGENT: Mouse broken and URGENT: Paper jam and URGENT!!: [thermal] Printer out of ink tickets now?

Hell yeah, thermal printer out of ink is my favorite.

Edit: Close second is "Monitor on this WOW is broken/PC dead" and you just push the power button on the monitor for an easy resolution.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Are these image-based PDFs, or actual numbers that just don't copy/paste right? Asking because I had a bizarre moment just yesterday when I discovered that some columnar data in a PDF wouldn't paste into Excel in anything like the right format, but inexplicably went into Word as a table, and thence to Excel without a hiccup.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Are these image-based PDFs, or actual numbers that just don't copy/paste right? Asking because I had a bizarre moment just yesterday when I discovered that some columnar data in a PDF wouldn't paste into Excel in anything like the right format, but inexplicably went into Word as a table, and thence to Excel without a hiccup.

The data is OCR-ed wrong due the crappy quality of the initial scan.

In the PDF the data is "18AK" but copying it after OCR produces "IBAI<" or "1BAK" or "188K" or any other close-but-not-quite translation that is reminiscent of l337-speak.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Agrikk posted:

So my first question is can you use Adobe Acrobat Pro or something to get access to see if you can just pull the data from the PDF spreadsheet itself or is it handwritten columnar data or something?

Question two is whether you can give your OCR utility more runs of confirmed good PDFs so that it can reduce the failure rate. If it’s computer entered data on a standardized form, I’ve never seen OCR poo poo the bed except when not enough good data was fed to it OR if there was some weird exception that wasn’t anticipated.

Agrikk posted:

The data is OCR-ed wrong due the crappy quality of the initial scan.

In the PDF the data is "18AK" but copying it after OCR produces "IBAI<" or "1BAK" or "188K" or any other close-but-not-quite translation that is reminiscent of l337-speak.

Missed this, so ignore my first question and my second question since the scan quality is the problem. Woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

BadOptics posted:

Hell yeah, thermal printer out of ink is my favorite.

Edit: Close second is "Monitor on this WOW is broken/PC dead" and you just push the power button on the monitor for an easy resolution.

I have no idea why servers are so resistant to the idea they accidentally put the wrong paper in. There is no other trouble shooting step or suggesting that gets as much pushback as the reason that your thermal printer is printing blank is because you did not put the right kind of thermal paper in. There's no other option except that you had 3 print heads fail simultaneously and the print heads on those thermal printers really don't fail. They can but I've never seen it.

Servers and bartenders seem to make always putting the correct paper into printers a special point of pride.