Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So, in my country most of the market is Windows Server, but I seem to find that the big bucks and high responsibility jobs as a sysadmin involve Linux (not always true, I realize that, but I wanna learn anyway). That's as good a reason as any to look into it, in my personal time. What do you guys suggest I read about being a Linux admin? I have no idea about anything related to it (what is used instead of AD, and OU's, and WDS, and whatever else I know about Windows Server).

orange sky fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Need some advice here. I just recently got contacted by our biggest software vendor (who I've done contract work for previously) out of the blue with them saying" we want you to work here ASAP". They also offered a starting salary that is a 60% increase over my current one :woop:, move to a much better location, etc. This wouldn't be much of an issue except that I currently do 90% of the AD work here and it's pretty much just me and my boss for 450 users. I have a huge backlog of work but the company wants me there in a month or less. I really like my boss a lot and don't want to gently caress him over or burn any bridges here. How do I break this to him?

If he's that cool, he'll understand it. He'll probably even wish it was him. Just be sure to document everything your boss doesn't know, for closure's sake.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

psydude posted:

I have a technical interview next week with a guy who is a triple CCIE.

:staredog:

Ask him if he is well versed in ICMP.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I am about to begin preparing a Mac Pro with an 8TB RAID array for deployment.

I don't really have anything else to add to this statement.

Wait, what?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Okay, nevermind. That's an external RAID array that will also be given to the user. It's just a single TB on here, with 64GB of RAM. Sorry.

Is this guy gonna run a ton of VM's? Deal with heavy duty encryption? Where is that array gonna run (drat your edit), is it dedicated just for him? My head hurts.

Can a laptop processor even "keep up" with 64GB? Is it useful?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Oh. My bad.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

No problem, I doubt many of these things are circulating? It's such a weird design.

The price tag is ridiculous, too.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-pro

6-Core and Dual GPU
3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM each
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
$3,999.00

For gently caress's sake, Apple.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I consider myself a huge narcissist, constantly thinking I'm very intelligent and I'll get very far in my career.

I would still never, ever say whatever the gently caress DAF says in his over the top meltdowns. Dude, you seriously need to see someone (a professional someone), if you're like that to people you actually meet in person you're probably one of the most insufferable guys I've come to know.

HTH,

Someone who doesn't make a lot of money like you, you awesome beast.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Misogynist posted:

What's good in terms of free/open-source wikis these days? I tried XWiki, and it seems nice, but it takes like 20 seconds to render a page and I don't have time to burn on this poo poo.

Have you tried Mediawiki? It's literally a wikipedia. Azure deploys them ready to go.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Misogynist posted:

It's been a few years since I've used MediaWiki. Authentication was a wreck back then, because it was designed to be completely public and it didn't have any kind of access controls built in. Is it still a disaster with a "plugin" structure consisting of a bunch of patches randomly applied to the source, preventing you from ever upgrading it?

Kind of. I've been battling with Active Directory authentication for a while now (granted I spend a total of 1 hour a week trying it) but the customization is pretty much al done through code, I believe you can implement some access controls if you tinker with it.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Windows 10 reveal at 11PM EST. Hopefully this will be interesting...

PM?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Well, EMC screwed the pooch here in Portugal. Our biggest ISP, Portugal Telecom, had a service done by EMC. Replacing one of 2 controllers, the malfunctioning one. Weeellll, the technician kind of pulled out the wrong one. Cue panic as some of the biggest hosting clients lost all their connectivity for 40+ hours (including the biggest ticket selling website in Portugal and the most visited newspaper website). Turns out something went wrong when bringing it back online and they had to escalate to EMC US. Turns out sometimes (always) Disaster Recovery is worth it if you can pay for it.

gently caress, Portugal Telecom is a bad company (unrelated, just ranting here). It's the Portuguese Microsoft when it comes to middle management. Couple that with nepotism due to the State having had a golden share for a lot of years and you have the perfectly hosed up company. And now, we're selling it to the french.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

When you say "private cloud" are you referring to On-Prem servers? How do you feel about health of future of hybrid clouds?

Private cloud is an on-prem cloud, but it could be two on prem data centers linked. See for example Azure Pack (not Azure, Azure Pack). It brings elasticity and self service to your Data Center, if you wish to have those.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I'll give it to you: Public clouds will be used a lot by startups and companies/individuals like that but the big companies who can afford the CAPEX for on prem solutions will always prefer that. The thing is, people might start using public clouds a lot because it's cheaper, but sooner or later there'll be a huge hack on Microsoft/Amazon's public cloud servers and we can all foresee what that will bring.

That's why I think that Hybrid Cloud has it's space. Hybrid Clouds will be used, but carefully. You can use online storage for backups, DRaaS, something like that, but you try to limit as much as possible having everything outside your company. That's just my 2 cents though.

Also, SaaS. I think that's going to be huge. IaaS, not for the big boys, they'll still spend a lot of money on equipment.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

It was a meeting specifically about my permanency in the company... lol

Working in IT 3.0: I forgot about the meeting in which I was gonna get fired

Seriously though, best of luck to you, this is a good industry and you'll find something better :)

orange sky
May 7, 2007

But hey, family can wait, servers/storage/network can not!! And I make more money than you!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Where do you guys get/where have you guys seen beautiful dashboard components? My company wants to sell SCOM implementations and I want to do a kick-rear end demo for the clients. Do you guys know where I can see examples or some forum dedicated to it or something?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Think about the people you'll be working with.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

For God's sake, it's LinkedIn. Who gives a gently caress? If he's the right fit for the job, he'll have it. If he's not, he won't. It's not 'stalky' or 'creepy', it's a professional social network, you both get advantages in having more connections, who cares?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

flosofl posted:

I put the blame on the "corporate raiding" that arose predominantly in the late 70s early 80s. That's when there seemed to be a sea-change in investor expectations from maximizing growth and stability to maximizing short-term shareholder returns. A lot of times those can be mutually exclusive.

This. My (extremely) limited knowledge about all this leads me to one very personal opinion: we're doing it very much the wrong way right now. The market looks at maximizing short term returns and that's most of the times contrary to what is actually beneficial to the company.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Working in IT 3.0: Usually 300-400ms ping with occasionally noticeable packet loss.

Yes, you probably will want to off yourself. SQL is extremely, extremely picky.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I realize that, that's why I specifically asked about the kind of problems I will encounter when using Availability Groups over that kind of lovely connection.

I wasn't making fun of you or anything, I'm pretty sure you know your stuff, much more than me even. I'm just laughing at your situation :). (which is still lovely of me anyway)

orange sky fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 2, 2015

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Well....

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/04/hacked-french-network-exposed-its-own-passwords-during-tv-interview/

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask this:

Whats the best ERP software that's not crazy expensive that you've seen someone work with and know is simple? I'm open to an online solution, there's no need to be on premises.

I'm talking about my father's company, with 3 employees, so we don't need SAP or anything big like that, but I think it's time to step it up and stop using pen&paper to manage a project and draft budgets.

(It's a metal manufacturing company, if that matters)

orange sky
May 7, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I get the opposite of impostor syndrome sometimes. I feel like I've accomplished and done all of the low hanging fruit in IT. I've become basically a good generalist. OK at and at least semi-knowledgeable on most things. The problem comes when it's time to troubleshoot or when poo poo goes wrong. I wont know the answer off the top of my head and I will have to spend time researching and reaching out to others for help. I hate that feeling of not knowing though, and not being able to give a good answer on the spot. It's why I think I need to start specializing in one area of IT. I've got the solid broad foundation now I need to find the one thing I can spend the rest of my career diving down deep into. Be it networking, SCCM, storage, Windows admin whatever. I need to decide on an area and focus on it wholeheartedly.

I want to do this but since I work for a consulting firm it's extremely hard, this week I'll be doing VMM configurations and next week I'll be all up in SCCM.

E: What I mean is, sometimes the job just won't allow that. Also, I've had the "must call someone else" thing on a client, and it feels like poo poo. But that's reality, we can't know it all. (Especially if you're still young, like me)

orange sky fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 4, 2015

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I'm sure in any country in the same situation as mine you would find the same, but in answer, Portugal

Oh. That loophole is kind of common right now here, see http://www.jornaldenegocios.pt/economia/seguranca_social/detalhe/empresas_trocam_salario_por_seguro_mensal_e_fogem_a_tsu.html .

I receive my yearly bonus through this loophole.

For all you guys that might think there's no justification in this, bear in mind that a Master's in Computer Science starting his career in Portugal makes around €16k a year (with some luck) and about 4k(5?) of that goes to the IRS and the company has to pay something like 30% of social security on top of that. This loophole escapes social security but not IRS.

There is a double CCIE in my company that makes something like €30k yearly after tax. That's the state we're in.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I've just been contacted to accompany and document a feature installation and documentation on one of our clients. Someone else is going to implement the stuff and I'm just gonna watch, write it down and document it. It's got all the ingredients to be a shitstorm.

I think I'll just put step recorder on while they work and use it as a reference later (besides being by their side while they're doing their thing).

E: I just realized my function might not be all that loved by whoever is implementing it, I'd hate it for some guy to stand by my side writing stuff while I'm working.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Crossposting this from Microsoft Enterprise thread cause this one gets more traction..

Has anyone ever moved a DPM to a different server? I'm having trouble believing it's as easy as this https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us...y/hh757865.aspx and I don't want to stumble into unexpected stuff.

What it says:
1- Backup DPMDB
2- Remove Server1 from domain, turn off
3- Install DPM with same updates on Server2, point to a SQL instance
4- Present same volumes through iSCSI
5- Execute DpmSync -restoredb -dbloc file
6- Execute DpmSync -sync
7- Check integrity, restart jobs

Is it really that easy?

E: It also has a tape library, but that should be simple as well.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

KillHour posted:

My brain refused to read 24000 and instead inserted 240000. Then I read it was your first "real" job. I'm too jaded, I think.

US salaries are much bigger than Europe salaries, generally. When I hear about helpdesk people making 30-40k in the US I go crazy.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Has anyone used Binary Tree as a Domino/Exchange coexistence tool? I'm starting a huge project now where at a point in time we'll be using their solution as a step before full Domino-Exchange migration and I'm curious regarding stability and usability.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Zaepho posted:

Please don't skip Helldesk. In the long run it's valuable experience. I really hate when a senior IT engineer wants to do something that will obviously negatively impact the end users and just doesn't care or even think about that impact. These people actively damage any relationship between IT and the Business. Working Helldesk in my experience helps you empathize with the user base and helps you understand the impact you have on the business.

OTOH, gently caress users

orange sky
May 7, 2007

E: forget it.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

psydude posted:

Is arch linux more difficult to install than other distros or something?

yeah idgi

orange sky
May 7, 2007

MF_James posted:

yeah it queued up the commands, don't' think it did any picking/choosing, although commands did get dropped/missed often, so i dunno if it just got bogged down or if it did actually pick the command because 10 people said to do it next instead of 9 for a different command.

I'd guess its mostly a product of chance, when the key is ready to be received by whatever interface they used to emulate the game the key that's next in line goes in. And it drops all others.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

There's no reason not to go to Office365, right?

I mean we're already paying $10.00/month for Hosted Exchange, we might as well pay $2.50 more and get Office and poo poo right?

You're on their hands after that basically. There will definitely be a raise on prices in the future.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

flosofl posted:

You seem fairly confident in that.

Wouldn't you do it like that? Microsoft has used that strategy in the past, too. Only this time, your whole "infrastructure" is located on their data centers, so it's not only about licensing anymore, it's about migration, too. If they hike the prices and you want to migrate back to on prem, wouldn't you think three times before you do that? What if you actually get rid of your physical infrastructure?

Every business has to be viable, and Microsoft's hooking everyone it can with pretty great prices.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I will love you forever if you can answer this question: do you guys know of a good MDM solution that will identify first and foremost devices (with certificates or something like that) and only then identify username/password?

We have a very security strict client that doesn't want any requests hitting Exchange from ActiveSync until the device has been proven to be safe/managed.

For the best question I'll buy an avatar gift :).

E: Also, no Domain servers on the DMZ. (just to make it challenging)

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Confluence suggestion and ask for one more:

For all of you that have probably used multiple tools to do something like this, what do you guys find to be the best solution for CRM and project management/resource allocation? Preferably something online, do you guys know anything?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My MSP isn't huge, so we just use a shared OneNote document. We have maybe 25-30 guys?

We're a small team (12 guys) but we're part of a much bigger organization. We're almost completely separate from that company in everything though, from sales to delivery. The company just does HR, Payroll, etc.

I guess a OneNote wouldn't be a terrible thing but I know that it would end up a huge mess after a while.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So what am I doing wrong here? I signed up for Dev essentials, clicked the link to activate Pluralsight, got a new page with offer code. Copied the code from the address to the form, added an email address, clicked 'I agree' and nothing happened. Same results on IE and Firefox, and I disabled adblock and noscript.

I have a head cold, so I am certain it is something simple I am missing.

It worked for me. Security settings on your browser maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Hey guys, I need to absorb some of your knowledge.

I work for a consulting company that sells quite a big spectrum of IT solutions. Due to this wide range of possibilties it's really hard to keep the sales team up to speed on what they can and cannot sell. How do you guys transfer knowledge to your sales team regarding estimating prices, cross-selling, up-selling and about what you can and can not do? I think our sales team has Salesforce, is there a good add-on or something like that? I'm not really responsible for this area (and that's why I don't know much about it) but I think that's a great problem in my company and I want to help fix it.