Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

MF_James posted:

Used to do a CAB when I worked with Bridgestone, it worked fairly well; all teams would send their rep (typically their team lead, so network team lead, windows lead etc) plus the application owners were there.

Most bullshit/dumb changes got caught early, rarely was it a circle jerk or arguing to be an rear end; it helped that the CAB manager was a no bullshit, say your piece and stfu kind of guy. I think our team pushed 1 change through in my 3 years there that caused a (major) problem, total major issues due to items that went through CAB during that period was <10. Now poo poo that didn't go through CAB because :reasons: lol

I stood in for our team-lead a couple times for CAB and it wasn't bad, the meeting was 30-60 minutes tops and the CAB manager made sure it stuck to that unless there was a good discussion going though those probably should have been pushed to another meeting for the affected team(s) to hash out.

SSI?

Unrelated - is there a dedicate IT careers thread, or is this it? I'm super unfamiliar with corporate structures and need advice about getting another 20% out of my employer because they doubled in size and promoted me since I started (11 months ago).

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thanks, I started there, good to know I'm in the right place.

MF_James posted:

:ninja:

gonna climb back under my rock

It's fine, I'll text you. Pretty sure this isn't Pawel.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Dick Trauma posted:

I was thinking that I work for petty people, and didn't want to give them a long weekend to cook up something yucky for Tuesday morning. And giving two weeks notice on Tuesday is only costing them a single day, so I don't think that's unprofessional. I have no idea if they'll even use the two weeks, or freak out and hit the eject button.

I'm okay with doing it either way. The offer letter was already signed by the new place, so when I signed it became fully executed, for whatever that's worth.

gently caress yeah congrats DT!
So long as giving good ethical notice (or not giving it) doesn't screw you, do what your heart tells you. gently caress them, but you have to live with whichever decision, so do the one that will give you the most good brain chemicals.
Two jobs ago I just dipped out and didn't look back, last job I gave them about a month of notice, finishing projects, and knowledge transfer. Neither one deserved more than ghosting, but I feel good and ethically justified about both decisions, and they let me sleep easier.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I'm having trouble figuring out what the rest of the world calls what I do, job title wise, and was hoping you all could help.
On paper, my company calls me Manager - Systems Engineering.
I work for a company that owns several other larger companies, and I do the IT work that lets them all work together.
I currently have no one reporting directly to me, although I can give orders or projects to our other engineers, and they'll listen.
I report to the Director of IT, who reports to the CFO.
I'm responsible for implementation, maintenance, design, architecture, and support of all servers, networks, phone systems, printers, Microsoft 365/Azure presence, user workstations, IT and Information Security, and a couple building access systems. I'm sure I'm forgetting a thing or two. I also work with other departments like HR and Accounting closely on the parts of their jobs that touch my sphere.
I cover just under a thousand people in 5 or 6 operating companies.
Outside of major projects and super high level goals (make a network, get some kind of handle on identity management, have a security suite on company computers) I decide my own day and priorities, decide on project timelines, manage the projects, and work with stakeholders to execute them.

What would the job description be in places you all work or have worked? I'm working on coming up with a list of market rate examples to show my boss I'm underpaid, but I'm unclear on parallel titles used by the rest of the world.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Last big megacorp I worked for called people like you without direct reports Service Owners. seems appropriate in your situation even though you seem to own several. Otherwise why not Señor Solutions Architect?

I would steer away from Manager titles unless you have direct reports.

I originally hired on as a Senior Systems Engineer. The idea was that the director and I would work side by side on a lot of things. He's gotten his time sidelined by the board and other projects (that I absolutely want no part of, like ERP migrations) so I basically run the show now.
I didn't get a vote in the new title, they just handed it to me a month or so after I started. Now that my job duties have expanded a lot and our company size doubled, it's time to start talking compensation.

It's sounding like I could accurately compare myself to a senior solutions architect or senior it manager, I'll start there. Thanks all.

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 8, 2021

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

KS posted:

Sounds accurate. We end up having to reject a ton of IT Manager candidates from small shops who didn't actually manage people. It just screams small shop.

We inherited two engineers and a director in a recent acquisition. The extra director is on his way out, I want the engineers seconded to me. They're inexperienced but appear teachable, and I'd like some management experience.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

skipdogg posted:

Sounds like you do about 4 or 5 peoples work, not sure what they call that other than underpaid and overworked

Definitely underpaid. Overworked, I'm not sure. It's a lot to keep track of, but no one else in the company has no idea what I do or how it's done, due to lack of technical skill or expertise, so I set my own goals and pace. Some days I work a project to death, some days I just hang out with my spouse and kid and answer the occasional support email. Average hours worked per day is maybe 4, across a week or month.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

jaegerx posted:

Are you aware that it’s :yotj:

I am, and I've been thinking about it. My problem is that I'm comfortable. I could shoot a text right now that I'm unavailable for a week and they would just roll with it. I don't take PTO - I just don't work if I have better poo poo to do like taking my son to a doctor's appointment, or the park.
I do need another 20% on my salary, though, hence the asks about job titles. My director absolutely knows he couldn't do this on his own and anyone he hired to replace me would make him look like poo poo to the board, which is his biggest fear. I make just enough for my experience and area to be comfortable, and I'm still working through the imposter syndrome parts, but I'm about to have a cash money conversation with either my boss or his boss pretty soon.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

I know, but I do appreciate you making a point of it, because it helps.
I'm one of the ones that hosed up college because I was on the wrong degree path for me, got my first tech job in my early 20s, and just learned everything anyone would teach me. I'm comfortable doing things the way I know how in a small shop, because I have confidence in my skills and ability to get results, but worry about a bigger shop with the politics and stuff I'm not already an expert in. I'm just short of 40 years old, making north of 100k, looking to a small shop director role in the next 5 years or so in the 200k range would make me happy.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol I'm sorry but I'm gonna need more info here. :suspense:

I'm guessing someone is running some ATP saying "process xxx (hash here) attempted injection into explorer.exe (hash here)" and made a hilarious decision.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

GreenNight posted:

Here it's Me -> IT Director -> CFO.

Oh hey me too, what's your title?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

GreenNight posted:

Network Admin. Supposedly I'm to meet with the boss when I'm back from vacation to go over the IT org chart since we want to hire 5 people next year. Told him I expect a Senior in front of my title with a compensation increase. He had me go over my job description and add all the things I do now that I did not do when I was last promoted. It was substantial.

Yeah you definitely need a Senior in your title. I'm Manager, Systems Engineering, and I'm going to be negotiating that into a better title next week.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

LochNessMonster posted:

I’d ask your boss if he wants a security audit from a guy who’s stupid enough to forward his credentials to others.

Also, give him the tshirt Jaegerx posted.

And also send your boss my contact info and tell him I'll do the audit for 70% of whatever that dude charged.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
We're putting together an actual IT team, rather than just me doing everything, and I want some kind of ticket system for incidents and projects. Team of maybe 6, around 1k users.
Is the thread consensus Freshservice?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Cloud preferred, but on prem I could make work if I had to.
I'm less worried about reporting and may not even tell the c level people, it's more for internal tracking of what's been done, who's doing what, and "how did we solve that weird problem 6 months ago, because it happened again".
This company absolutely throws money at everything, so there can be a budget, but I don't want something so complicated that I'll lose efficiency because no one knows how to work it.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

a Mensa mug toting, holier than thou / too good for Libertarians, Ayn Rand bootlicking, sexual predator.

But you repeat yourself.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm in a really weird position right now where I'm in the interview process (including first phone calls) for like 8-10 positions right now and there are roles that pay maybe 1.3-1.5x as much as I make right now that I feel iffy on the qualifications for, but then there are jobs that pay 2-3x as much as I make now that I feel much more confident about. Is that normal? It feels like if I don't qualify for a basic-rear end administrator job I shouldn't be in a position where I can speak confidently on cloud engineering/architecture or DevOps stuff but maybe it's just a matter of the skills needed for one not necessarily translating to the more senior?

I just had a phone call with the DevOps manager for a company that has some similarities to a few companies I have worked with in the past, I worked those similarities in, discussed a crazy convoluted Powershell script I had to write in the past to get a project done within the security and software limitations I had, and emphasized that while I was proud of making it work I would not suggest anyone do it that way if they have another option, she seemed very happy with the whole thing. Then I look on Glassdoor and see that the estimate for the position is $140-160k base salary per year, I'm making $55k right now. That's just mind-boggling and mentally I'm split between thinking "Don't question it, just don't gently caress it up" and "there must be something I'm missing, this is never going to work."

There's a lot to be said for finding a person who has confidence in you, and wants to hire the person and teach the skills.
I went from $75k - 125k in two years leveraging skills I had learned but didn't think meant anything (they totally did) and skills I didn't even realize I had, compared to my peers.
She may see something in you that you don't, which is fair, and thinks you'll excell at what she needs.
You can teach "how to manage server 2019 in the enterprise", you can't teach "given a limited situation, engineer an out of the box solution while still realizing that it should never be done that way if there is any alternative".

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Crossposting with the macos thread, anyone have suggestions on the cheapest piece of hardware I can get to run Apple Configurator 2 in order to add retail ipads to my Apple Business Manager?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I want to say bls.gov tracks average job title pay, that may be a place to look too.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

incoherent posted:

Are these retail ipads from target or from a VAR retail ipads? The cheapest is honestly ANY actively supported Mac OS device.

Some from Apple directly, some from Verizon. The only time I've ever interacted with Apple hardware was when I bought my ex wife a MacBook in like 2010 or so (and the IIe we had in the computer lab in grade school), so I'm a little lost. I only need it for this one thing, too, it's super irritating that the app is locked to macos.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Agrikk posted:

In thirty years I’ve never gotten a job through a contact. It’s been resume-through-the-front-door every time.

I'm at 17 years and every job has been through someone I know. My first crappy help desk when a friend of mine came to the restaurant that I worked at and was like "hey, do you want a better job?"
First MSP when I was complaining about crappy help desk and a friend goes "well, my brother's work is hiring".
Second MSP got invited by a friend who jumped ship from first MSP to them.
Current gig got poached from second MSP.
Now that I think about it, I've only had three total interviews since like 2002.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Sickening posted:

Meh, you fuckers all have real poo poo going on but nobody else wants to share.

Cowards

Most of our poo poo is just less batshit.

Our private equity overlords fired our CEO last Thursday. There were three people in company that new about it - the Director of HR, the Director of IT, and me, because my boss (D.IT) didn't trust himself to properly turn off accounts without guidance. They hired a new one and did the announcement this past Tuesday. I'm going to miss the old CEO, but I'm excited to see what new chaos this brings. I should be insulated from any purges as I'm both one layer too far down from leadership firestorms and also the only person in the company that can work out simple infrastructure.
I talked to my boss three times this week. Once was on our weekly IT meeting, where he talked a while about the leadership change and I stole the rest of the meeting to present stuff I wanted him to buy. The second time was the next day, where I very gently explained to him that he hadn't lost an Outlook folder, but that > next to Inbox meant the tree was collapsed, and a down arrow meant it was expanded, and that his was collapsed. Then I clicked on it for him.
Today he called me to verify that he had bought all the things I asked him to buy and hadn't missed any.
Private equity poo poo is wild, but not exciting for an external audience.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Sickening posted:

They got you a new CEO because the old CEO wasn't into gutting the company enough. This new CEO will have bonuses tied to slicing and dicing. I have no idea who your CEO is, but I am sure if you look at the last place he led and the moves that company made, that is what you are up for.

Stay frosty my fellow goon.

You're not far off.
My company is a holding company for a bunch of semi related companies that private equity acquired and wants to weld together and sell off at a net profit.
Old CEO had incredible depth in our industry, but I don't think much experience in pump and dump.
New CEO has a track record of making things great on profit paper and selling them.
I don't think it's a cut it to the bone for profitability they're looking for, it's a puff up sales numbers and make the amalgam look like more than the sum of its parts to a buyer's due diligence.
Worst case for me, they cut my current boss and I have to deal with a new guy who doesn't just leave me alone. I'm underpaid for what I produce but getting to spend most of my time just chilling at home with my family and playing with my toddler while answering the occasional phone call or email is worth a bunch of dollars to me.
The former CEO was on a 300k salary/400k bonus split, I'd assume the new one is taking a similar deal, probably with a "sell the company within three years nets you a mil" contract stip.

I will take your advice on looking at how his previous couple companies went though, that's a good thing I hadn't thought of.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Bonzo posted:

One day the middle urinal had a clear garbage bag around it, like it was out of order. It was like this for months before someone asked maintenance staff when it was supposed to be fixed or replaced. That's when Maintenance found out they had no work order for this. Facilities had no record of a report of any kind. So someone just put a garbage bag on it one day for...reasons?

Enforcing the urinal code. Always leave one space.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I get to talk to the CFO today and try to convince him that I'm a good fit for the newly vacated Director spot.
Wish me luck, fellow IT people.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Internet Explorer posted:

Hell yeah! Good luck!

Thanks!
It went well, and I'm advancing to the next round, so to speak. Time to study up on ERP systems integrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Awesome! Congratul--

--ympathies.

It's not so bad. I've got a counterpart with a degree in IT who is worthless at anything involving a server or a network because she's been in operations so long, but she's an absolute fuckin wizard at ops stuff like ERP migrations. My plan if I get the job is to put her absolutely in charge of that part, attend meetings, and rubber stamp whatever she wants to do so long as the project planning looks right and continues apace.
Now I get to have sort of interview meetings with my boss's subordinate (to sanity check him, probably) and one of our private equity overlords (to get the formal blessing).
I just have to be able to talk a better game about ERP stuff than I'm currently able to. Doesn't seem hard, so long as I leave the crunchy ops bits to others.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

guppy posted:

What does operations mean to you in an IT context, if not networks and servers? That's usually what I think of as ops.

Sorry, business ops, not IT ops in this case.
I'm solid on the IT operations side of things, but I have very little idea how the accountants actually use the ERP system, and I'll need them to tell me if they want it to work right.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Had a good meeting with the CFO as I gun toward the Director position. Had a good meeting today with his boss's boss's boss. Have a meeting tomorrow with the CIO of another portfolio company. I feel like I'm traveling in rarified air, but it seems to be going well.
Who is the goon who does resume magic? They're asking for a copy of mine, and it's currently garbage and targeted toward an engineering position I was going after three years ago.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
My goal is more tailoring for the position and current aesthetic ideals of presentation. I'm good at the grammar bit, but I have no idea what information is specifically important from a 20 year career making a step up, and not sure what formats are in vogue in 2021.
I'm open to any other guidance and suggestions as well.

I don't make pretty things, I make functional things. I usually farm my raw content to my internal marketing team before I produce for the board, it's just not in my skillset. Can't internally source this one, though, so I'm looking for guidance and templates.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Coolnezzz posted:

I attribute my career to this thread, straight up.

Thanks, goons. Going on 9 years now, for better or worse I enjoy working for an MSP much more than others here apparently have.

There are good MSPs and bad MSPs. In my experience, the difference is made in the quality of product they're trying to offer, from blue chip to just good enough that the suckers feel like they're getting something for their money, and the quality of the people you directly report to.
All of the bosses are scum.

Also chiming in as a person who started out a long time ago doing outsourced tech support for Belkin and BFG at a lovely call center and is now eyeing a director role with no college: this thread is fantastic. Not only full of helpful people and community, but gives the range of the IT worker experience, which can be hard to have any real context for in the grand scheme of things.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Is it still :yotj: if it's in the same company? Because if so, :yotj:
They fired my boss back in November for not being very good at this. To everyone's surprise, nothing much changed because I was doing the important poo poo anyway. As of today, I'm Head of IT.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

NeuralSpark posted:

Title change and pay bump right? Right?

Title change, pay bump of 20% plus I'm now in a bonus program that I wasn't before. Reassess for another 20%+ in a year once I've proven I can manage people. I'm also bringing a hand picked guy in to fill my old slot, so it's not more work, just different work.
Living the dream, except I accepted this right as budgets are due, so now I have a week to write the entire IT budget, including a division that I had no hard info on until three days ago.

Re cameras and meetings:
I turn my camera on if there's someone senior to me that has theirs on, or if I'm talking enough that my body language and facial expressions help with communication. Or if it's a social meeting, like I have a monthly with other IT leadership guys in different companies where we just talk about the industry.

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 13, 2022

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Anyone used TeamViewer as their RMM/patch management tool, or have a decent alternative for what amounts to a big small shop?
Like 60% of my workforce will never see the inside of an office with their machine, and I'm already using it for remote control, so seems like an easy win.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I used ScreenConnect back when Elsinore owned it, never had any complaints. My size is just under 1k endpoints, I'll check on their scale.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

klosterdev posted:

TIL even though you can't nest groups in M365, you can nest a shared mailbox into a group.

A shared mailbox is just a regular mailbox that doesn't (usually) need a license and can't be directly logged into. Outside of that, you can treat it the same as any other mailbox.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
From a leadership standpoint, I try to quantify everything and have good discrete categories so that I can take actual numbers and hard data to the accountants for why we need to pay people more and why we need more headcount.
I tell my team as much - I understand that it takes a lot of time and feels like busy work - but it's the information I need to talk to the people in charge of the money in a language they understand.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

GreenNight posted:

Nothing like having to make a new room and the settings are in 3 different GUI's. Saving that poo poo in Powershell is the way to go.

I do still admin an on prem Exchange server though. I think if you have AD that is still required by MS.

Wait what? No, having active directory doesn't mandate that you have on prem exchange, dirsync came out in like 2003.
Hybrid is rear end, and the only good use case I've seen for having on prem exchange in the last ten years has been weird regulatory poo poo.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

The Iron Rose posted:

This isn’t aimed at you, but I so wish that when people justified poor technical decision making on compliance requirements they pointed out the exact compliance citation that they are alleging you need to comply with.

Too often we assume that our compliance folks know what they’re doing - we barely know what we’re doing, why assume anyone else does? on multiple occasions now I’ve shot down stupid poo poo by actually reading the relevant PCI-DSS subsection!

You're entirely right. The one guy I know with the good use case works in Energy, and has some strict requirements about where the data can go.

My company reached out to me to rubber stamp a bid they were trying to put in that referenced some government protected data requirements (which we don't normally do).
I went and actually read the DSS documentation, which included that we were basically saying that we had been reviewed and audited by a sponsored body and were in compliance. I let them know that we were in no way compliant and would be opening ourselves to a massive shitstorm if we even thought about contracts like or adjacent to this.
I never heard back.

devmd01 posted:

One other use case for keeping an on-prem exchange server is using it for smtp relay for on-prem applications/devices that still need to email for alerting or whatever. Especially with the upcoming death of basic auth.

Do you all not just use your unauthenticated O365 smtp address and whitelist the local IP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

alg posted:

so my manager is moving on after only about a year. he definitely wanted more money than what he was getting.

I am team lead on a small team of Linux/UNIX guys, and I am going to apply for the manager position, which would put me over my current team + a small windows team with a team lead. he is fine, he isn't going to apply for manager. everyone is encouraging me to apply and I am being suggested to leadership as a good candidate.

my concerns:

I'll be 40 in September. Is this too young to step into management and take myself out of a day to day tech role? I am concerned that after a few years I'll be unemployable in a technical role.

Is it possible to be a manager and still maintain some level of technical proficiency? We are a government agency, so nothing is cutting edge - I would have the opportunity to manage migrating some workloads to the cloud, and also to manage/lead some projects like containerization, etc. but most of our work is still pretty old school.

I am one of the top employees at my agency for sure, especially in IT. When it comes to our business, my technical skills are near the top of the ladder. I really like managing/coaching my team and I am one of the few capable leaders in IT. Most people are happy to sit back and let anyone else make decisions and never suggest improvements. I know I would be a good manager, I am just concerned about what it might mean later.

I just turned 40 on Monday, and I got made the director of IT for a medium-large company (~1k users, ~225M revenue) in January. I have no college degree.
I've got a small team, so I'm going to keep my hand in on the technical side, being basically CAB. It can be done, and you can do it.

Re: drug testing chat - it's the stupidest thing. I got promoted from engineering, and knew who I wanted to hire as my replacement. I finally brought him on Monday, as he had some edibles on NYE and we had to wait out the test because zero tolerance policy.
I might be wrong, but I kinda want the guy in charge of my security and firewalls to be able to unwind in his free time.