Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh well, what happens happens. I'm in the middle of the interview process for two other jobs IIRC and have had initial calls for probably half a dozen others. Plus maybe this promotion at my current job will actually happen this time, my manager hasn't ever called me on a day off to tell me about it before and the hiring freeze is off after a few key people jumped ship and this position is backfilling someone who is retiring.

And most evenings I mindlessly go through and spam apply at least a dozen jobs on Linkedin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Bonus points if that also the SVP's dating profile picture

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I seemingly got approval for a new headcount, just need the CEO to sign off on it. I asked around to see if we had any internal referrals but we just sent an offer to one referral and the other 2 are 1. Waiting until Feb bonus payout or 2. Already moved on.

Guess I'll finally get to post something on the jobs thread

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well that sounds like a cool job. Shame I don't have GCP experience, only a little Terraform, and no Gitlab experience (Back in my day we used GitHub and we liked it :corsair:)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Gcp is not experience that going to have long term worth.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sickening posted:

Bold claim, care to expound? Gonna go the way of the Wave?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There's a reason that Google killing all of their offerings aside from the search engine, Youtube, and Gmail/docs/photos is a running joke.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We've seen the roadmap under NDA, GCP will be here for long enough for me to hire someone. Also our company is pretty free flow on pivoting skillsets. I work with some ex-google engineers who moved from software development to devops, and I myself started as the network security engineer and pivoted much more into devops

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sepist posted:

Guess I'll finally get to post something on the jobs thread

Thanks for posting it. Seems like a cool gig! Hope you find a goon.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sickening posted:

a bit cynical imo

Still, Google deserves your cynicism. GCP iss a great product, very startup/developer friendly, documentation is excellent and pricing is uncomplicated.

Still, they've killed good products before. I have a hard time believing they'd walk away from 10% of the cloud market though. Not too shabby at all.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

Very little experience with any product or platform is going to have long-term worth. You need what you work on to have enough transferrable clout/credibility to find your one (1) next job.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sickening posted:

Okay, here at the cliff notes.

*She has demanded that anytime I am not to be at work that I run it by her first. I argued that the CEO shutting down the company in order for people to specifically take time off isn't me taking a personally PTO day.

*She said that we are the department that will take off time the least. I asked to be specific about what she means and she rambled around the point without giving a straight answer. I asked her point blank how many days she thinks is acceptable for me to take off in a year and she also refused to give me a straight answer. I asked her if I was still eligible for company holidays off and she said "we will see". :rolleyes:

*I asked her why she left 8 voicemails. She told me I was wrong and she didn't leave 8 voicemails. I sent her a screenshot of my voicemailbox with 8 voicemails from her cell phone in it and she blew up. She said I was a no show for work and again I argued that isn't all the likely since the business is closed right now.

*she rambled on for 10 minutes about how all her previous bosses never let her take pto and she was better for it. I let her know that this isn't a healthy relationship with work and she started screaming my name over and over again.

*I let her know that I had made plans for this week off and that I wasn't going to change them. She made some vague comments about "we will see about that" but meh, she didn't give me any direct orders to stop my vacation.

*I blocked her number for now and we will see what is what by next week.

This person sounds like they're got some damage.
Next time you're in the office, try just repeating "it's not your fault" until they break down in tears.

My last boss was like that but I chalk it up to them being a Mensa mug toting, holier than thou / too good for Libertarians, Ayn Rand bootlicking, sexual predator.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

... spam apply at least a dozen jobs on Linkedin.

This seems like a bad idea after a certain level. Maybe in the beginning of starting to interview for the first time in a year or more, but after enough to get some comfort it seems better to start to do more targeted applications.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

a Mensa mug toting, holier than thou / too good for Libertarians, Ayn Rand bootlicking, sexual predator.

But you repeat yourself.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

downout posted:

This seems like a bad idea after a certain level. Maybe in the beginning of starting to interview for the first time in a year or more, but after enough to get some comfort it seems better to start to do more targeted applications.

I started with that a few months ago for that exact reason, it did help figure out what I should address, that way I'm ready when I'm in the hiring process for somewhere I really want to be

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://blog.lumen.com/no-longer-just-theory-black-lotus-labs-uncovers-linux-executables-deployed-as-stealth-windows-loaders/

There is apparently at least one campaign of virus payload using WSL as entry point, watch out if you are deploying it heavily.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 19, 2021

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

What's the go-to modern management book. Still The Phoenix Project?

My friend is in way over his head. He's a good engineer but a poo poo manager, and my talks and suggestions only go so far. Help me help him, please, my sanity can only take so much more of this.

Along with “The Mission, the Men and Me” I would also say yes to “Extreme Ownership” by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. It has some pretty good business relation examples and I tend to like to structure of it.

It specifically has helped me with noticing that
I have held authority way higher than it should be and should be delegating to the correct level as well as giving comfortable boundaries for where my team knows they can make decisions on the ground and where they need to kick it up the chain to me or higher. Trying very hard to not have myself as a blocker for their teams to do what they need to do.

That mixed with some others mentioned here are all good picks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you're going to read "Extreme Ownership", put "The Dichotomy of Leadership" on the list as well, it's a pretty good follow-up book.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks y'all. I much appreciate the recommendations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Wibla posted:

If you're going to read "Extreme Ownership", put "The Dichotomy of Leadership" on the list as well, it's a pretty good follow-up book.

Indeed! It’s next on my read pile!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nice!

“The Mission, the Men and Me” is on my list, re-reading "Extreme Ownership" after that.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

JOCKO WILLINK had a decent piece on Casey Neistat a few years back, it's a fun watch if you're at all a fan of Casey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Cvl3_CH2A

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
We got assigned “Extreme Ownership” by our Trump worshipping, 3%er CIO. Given that, I expected to hate it or do a bunch of eye rolling, but actually enjoyed it quite a bit and found it pretty useful.

Now if only our CIO actually paid attention to the lessons in the book…

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

The Dreamer posted:

We got assigned “Extreme Ownership” by our Trump worshipping, 3%er CIO. Given that, I expected to hate it or do a bunch of eye rolling, but actually enjoyed it quite a bit and found it pretty useful.

Now if only our CIO actually paid attention to the lessons in the book…

Yea that’s the big part is if your upper management doesn’t take some of it to heart, big trouble commin or at least it will be frustrating to try and get stuff done. But for me having those little notes in my head have been really helpful.

ptier fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 20, 2021

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I enjoyed The Manager's Path by Camille Fournier

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Been kicking this around, not sure if this is the best thread for it but wanted to vent: I've got an EHR job that pays decent and is pretty easy at least compared to my previous job. There's a security spot that opened up that I meet or exceed and it should pay the same. I went ahead and applied and interviewed for it, and am now waiting to hear back. I'm just not 100% sure if I actually want it? I feel like security would be great career-wise (they offer lots of training for certs for one) but there's always the possibility I could suck at it and/or hate it. On the other hand, I'm starting to gel with my current team (enough to feel guilty about leaving) and while there's not a whole lot of potential advancement in the company with the EHR job, there's jobs for it all over and I can always pursue certs and education on my own time. But then going back, my pre-EHR experience and certs are in computer touching and it feels like my current job was a diagonal step from where I was aiming towards.

I dunno it could all be moot since I might not get an offer. It's almost to the point where I don't WANT an offer so I don't have to decide. Which I realize is an idiotic line of thinking: when I looked at it originally I thought "Well you can't pick between jobs you haven't applied for so just do it" but for some reason I'm stressing about the possibility of choosing

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Been kicking this around, not sure if this is the best thread for it but wanted to vent: I've got an EHR job that pays decent and is pretty easy at least compared to my previous job. There's a security spot that opened up that I meet or exceed and it should pay the same. I went ahead and applied and interviewed for it, and am now waiting to hear back. I'm just not 100% sure if I actually want it? I feel like security would be great career-wise (they offer lots of training for certs for one) but there's always the possibility I could suck at it and/or hate it. On the other hand, I'm starting to gel with my current team (enough to feel guilty about leaving) and while there's not a whole lot of potential advancement in the company with the EHR job, there's jobs for it all over and I can always pursue certs and education on my own time. But then going back, my pre-EHR experience and certs are in computer touching and it feels like my current job was a diagonal step from where I was aiming towards.

I dunno it could all be moot since I might not get an offer. It's almost to the point where I don't WANT an offer so I don't have to decide. Which I realize is an idiotic line of thinking: when I looked at it originally I thought "Well you can't pick between jobs you haven't applied for so just do it" but for some reason I'm stressing about the possibility of choosing

:hfive:

Hey EHR buddy. If you're with one of the big vendors like Epic or Cerner, then job opportunities are plentiful. Meaning if you do the security gig for 6 months and hate it then you can very likely bounce right back in to the EHR arena. My EHR department has had multiple people leave and return to their teams within a year.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Finally finished a project I've been working on for months to revamp our k8s ingress and deprecate any need for our VPN, which previously was "protecting" our staging environment.

Took longer than I hoped, as I had to rebuild most of our cloud network as I went. found a disgusting amount of dangerous firewall rules, largely created by principal engineers not knowing what they're doing and YOLOing configs to prod instead of going thru terraform. I think my favourite though was the Shared VPC network that let you create VMs on production subnets from staging/dev projects, that was a fun lil project.

Anyways, got this rolled out to prod and fixed the last launch day bug the day before my annual self review was due. My resting heart rate has finally dropped back to the 60s after being >100 all day :v: and I'm quite pleased with myself.

and the last parts for my new computer came in the mail too! Something fun to do tonight too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

I would be curious about the new gig personally, but I get the hesitation too. I think the most important thing to remember is to not doubt yourself so much though. With a moderate amount of effort you likely will do just fine. Also, it’s perfectly OK to turn it down if you’re really not feeling it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well that was a weird loving interview. Interviewed with the SVP of engineering, first thing he asks is clarification on which position I'm interviewing for because he thought my resume didn't look like I had a ton of experience in cloud technology. I explained my experience, we talked shop for a bit, and then he ends the meeting abruptly saying "Well that's all for today, we'll talk to you later" or something like that. I went from thinking "this is going terribly" to "this is going well" to "did I gently caress up?" although since it was 3 minutes past the scheduled end of our interview period I'm hoping that he just had to go to another meeting and had a typical IT nerd's level of skill in saying that.

Well, I guess it went well enough for another interview at least :confuoot:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Finally finished a project I've been working on for months to revamp our k8s ingress and deprecate any need for our VPN, which previously was "protecting" our staging environment.

and the last parts for my new computer came in the mail too! Something fun to do tonight too.

Hell yeah!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I guess it went well enough for another interview at least :confuoot:

Nice! Good luck!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At the new place there's no I.T. budget. Outgoing I.T. person had carte blanche to get whatever he needed. :q:

Also they provide a $25 daily credit to order in lunch. :btroll:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

After one of my interviews today, they sent an assessment as part of the interview. It was an IQ test and one of those ALWAYS TRUE MOSTLY TRUE personality tests.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Opinion question: The last guy I interviewed with mentioned some of the upcoming planned projects, would it be a good idea to sketch up an outline for an idea of how to do it with justifications for decisions and whatnot to offer in the next interview? I'm not sure if that would seem presumptive or if it would serve to show "Hey I was paying attention" and "I know how to set up environments in AWS"?

To be clear this wouldn't be a huge 10-20 hour planning session to present something ready for implementation, more of a rough draft loose idea done in an hour or so.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 21, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have a 1.5 hour meeting tomorrow with my boss and the meeting is titled "discuss the org chart and your place in it".

Always fun. He did tell me today that he told his boss that he either needs to promote me or fire me.

Being gone a week and him having to do all the poo poo I do daily tends to help these things.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Your boss sounds like a piece of poo poo.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Internet Explorer posted:

Your boss is a piece of poo poo.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m reading that like his boss said that tongue-in-cheek. Like he needs a promotion, or I should fire him (so he can go on to bigger and better things, ie he’s outgrown his current position)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Chad Jihad posted:

DM me, especially if you have cloud experience or enough hobby cloud experience to raise an eyebrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

I’m reading that like his boss said that tongue-in-cheek. Like he needs a promotion, or I should fire him (so he can go on to bigger and better things, ie he’s outgrown his current position)

Bosses shouldn't joke about firing employees. The power imbalance makes it "not funny."

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 21, 2021