Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

This thread totally dies every weekend when we're not talking about extracurricular activities or having drunken breakdowns.

I think it's better that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dark Helmut posted:

Central VA, and although I work with a medium-sized agency with a national footprint, 90% of my business is local. Shoot me a PM if you like.

IMO, and this is someone from VA talking. Move to NoVA, or Northern Richmond; Do not go into Hampton Roads.

It's like the market is growing everywhere but Eastern NC and Eastern(and som western) VA. I think VA aside from NoVA and satillite companies in northern Richmond/Fredricksberg this state is really going stale, this state relies heavily on the military input to make it's ends meat and I feel it has no way to organically make money if not for the government.

That's why I have been taking $200 out a week into a savings account for a good while, and am buying a house in Charlotte when I hit 26, VA SUCKS.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 6, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

Do people in Hampton Roads work in Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Chesapeake? They look close on a map.

Most do, either for the government, Sentara Healthcare, or something that supports DoD/defence. There is very little organic growth here, aside from that of people taking the tax write off's VA beach is known to give certain fields.

I live <1 mile away from my job so it is nice, aside I think it hurts my car to drive it that short a distance. The roads are horrible, bridges are terrible, it can take >45 min to drive the 15 miles to work sometimes. No neighboring cities will work together on public transportation, we have a light rail that goes no where because one city backed out of it because it tore up an old abandoned railroad track(the horror!). We have 4 lane highways that go to 2 lanes at the city line because "reasons".

Honestly Charlotte's logicstics in road planning is one of the many reasons I am moving there. Honestly my biggest thing now is where to buy a house, but I think there is another thread for that in a different subforum.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 6, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dark Helmut posted:

I have more problems with the inaccuracies and sweeping generalizations with this post than I have the energy to address.

Things might be different in that central place, but just don't come to hampton roads.

Not to mention the pants on head retarded housing market here. 175k will buy you so much in Charlotte, where in hampton roads? Pfft hahaha

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah I deserve this whole title; just saying.

And I like it.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 6, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When England invents a hot new technology, they can decide how to spell it.

Someone bought me my title and I've grown to like the grammar error.

I don't know how you blokes put up with this bollocks.

Just takes years of numbing I suppose.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

Oh god it's already suitchat time again?

FWIW I've never worked anywhere with a dress code above t-shirt and jeans. Including two software startups. Wore a suit to every interview. I got a bit of "lol nice suit nerd" from interviewers in shorts and sandals but was told that at the end of the day it was a positive and they felt it showed I was serious about getting the job. I feel like being underdressed is always riskier than being overdressed, even at a startup, but that's just my personal opinion. The 1% of brogrammer idiots that will toss you out for wearing a suit to a job interview are probably not someone you wanted as a boss anyway.

I found talking about what car you owns turns more heads than the suit you wear.

Interviews and salary offers went up much more after I bought a BMW...

Maybe the whole "what car does he own" gives people an idea of what salary they make, but gently caress if I know.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well sorry, every interview I have gone to I've been asked "So what car do you drive"

Is this some weird off the wall Hampton Roads thing?

Ever since I ditched the Lancer Evo, bids went up.

My apologizes, I am not trying to derail the thread(I might have a history of that).

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 9, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Race Realists posted:

crossposting from the thread i made since no one seems to want to answer there

I've just recently finished my community college course and should be getting my Associates in about a month. I want to start off as a help desk and work my way up to Network/server Admin, but a majority of those jobs require a Bachelors. Now here's the thing: A great majority of the Network Admin jobs I see out there ask for a Bachelors in CS instead of C I S. The Comp. Science course at the college I have my eyes set on looks tough, but I'll power on through it if I have to

Here are a few things to do:

Network, with some professors. Generally CC's are good places for finding talent and employers love CC's as they don't have to pay lease space for job fairs. Your CC should have some
Change focus on your searches, indeed/dice/etc are nice but Craigslist is surprisingly good. Also realize that job postings are HR wishlists, they do not always reflect what they want; it's a pre filter of things they would "like to have".
Promote yourself, list things and accomplishments. Any internships, certs, etc are notable. List them at every chance you get.
Don't set your goals too high, IT positions that pay high want experienced people. If you have 0 experience you may want to just work something to build your resume, IE Helpdesk, MSP, or VAR. It sucks but you gotta build some resume; if you don't have any internship or prior experience.

IT is a strange beast to get into, just remember you need to start somewhere. The start is not always pretty but fight for what you want and you'll get there.

Tab8715 posted:

I think it's weird how OS X is presented as an OS option in vSphere/Esxi... Does it even work?

With Oracles extention pack you can boot OSX to a VMDK, install it, open in workstation( and upload to esxi) and wammo done. The hardest part is the isntall, after that osx runs fine.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 15, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Race Realists posted:

Thank you guys. I've decided in the future to go to a four year college. In terms of Bachelors should I go for computer science or computer information systems? I heard Georgia State University is one of the best in the country for Bachelors based on Tech

Uhh, If your in the south Dell has some awesome openings around Georgia. I mean what qualifications and expirence do you have over a degree? Seriously, A degree may get you in the door but it is the experience and knowledge that will sell your value to the employer.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Race Realists posted:

GSU has Bachelors in Business Administration... That just happens to be IN the CIS major..

BA is good, there is a good need for people who can manage the business side of things as well as understanding at a high-medium level on IT operations.

What do you like about IT, where do you want to end up? Do you like managing work flows of IT and ensuring tasks are done or do you like more of the engineering side of things? Going into BA is great but generally you won't be as technically facing as you would in an engineering position.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

This is terrible advice.

I mean, I only got a degree a few months ago. But it's better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it. Degrees confer knowledge, believe it or not, and most employers consider a degree worth 3-4 years of experience for applying.
He said he had an associates, that is a degree last I checked. Ultimately it depends where you apply to and where you go to work, as well as, how you want to pursue your job career. CC+EXP and a cert or two can go a long way over a 4 year and no experience. Understanding the working knowledge of IT, and the business functions first hand are something that can't be taught.

While they may figure a BA equals 3-4 years of experience, which I am not denying they don't. The TCO of an AAS + EXP vs. 4 years of student loans + then betting on a job. Does the AAS, work for getting you a job that you want? If not then pursue further. I'm not saying stop at an AAS, just look and weigh all the options.

quote:

Experience and knowledge helps a lot, and it's arguably better for now, but there's always the possibility of the industry changing in the future. And you will be hamstrung if you ever want to pursue a management track at a large company without a degree.

Again, it depends where you want to work, sure Medium-large enterprises will go by the HR filter, and will want college graduates. I am not saying limit yourself, but just look at your options. Online BS degrees exist and no one is saying you can't work and school at the same time. However, working and schooling, while taxing, can have it's benefits.

quote:

If people don't want to get a degree, their choice. But don't deter people from a beneficial decision because school doesn't fit your personal narrative.

I fail to see in my post where I said BS's are bad and not to get them. I was merely asking a question, on where he stands, has he weighed his options, and where he wants to go.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 15, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'd like to discuss this over PM so the thread can get back to the original topic, thanks.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

I'm happy to respond over pm, and I know that was a little bit of "listen here, junior" condescension, but the career value of a degree while/for working in IT is perfectly suited to this thread (even judging by the OP), regardless of whether or not you like where the discussion is going.

This is the thread for career discussion, after all.

I agree but I have a history of odd opinions and such, so I would rather discuss it one on one then give opening to something that could/will derail the thread into something non constructive.

I'd love to discuss it here and make a fool of whatever I am but eh, I think it might degrade from that of a constructive thread. So let's just talk about helping people!

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone without a degree hit any stumbling blocks? Or actually have been denied a position because they didn't have a degree?

I haven't had any problems... So far...

No problems hitting 6 figure offerings here.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you guys who don't work a ticketing queue do for tracking your tasks\time management?
I've taken to whiteboarding stuff, it sorta works. Sometimes I wish I had a queue but then people would just dump stuff in it.

For some reason it's always incredibly busy or pretty dead. This past week was incredibly busy. It gets me kind of panicky and anxious, and every time I check my email there's a new initiative of something or other that's another hour or two of work for me.

I'm having a hell of a time with it, and I just need to remind myself realistically I'm not even backed up more than a few days.

It's a pisser for my coming from a long MSP/Var role. Internal IT is pretty crap.

My boss basically says "work around 100 hours a month and you are good". I loving hate it but meh gives me time to focus on certs, automation, and stuff. He even said "if you get an offer letter higher than your current pay, bring it to me and I'll match it no questions asked".

They just want me to focus on becoming a vcdx for some reason.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So does anyone here play active parts in User Group meets(VMUG, LUG's, etc)? Like leading discussions, planning their events, and what not?

I am interested in what people feel a pull to or what their user group wants.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

You should just get drunk and tell everyone how you're here to help the IT world before your short life is taken from you. You can do that anywhere. I recommend a greyhound bus station downtown.

Thanks for the response that had nothing to do with my post, are you finished acting like a child or can we actually continue speaking like adults?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

I'm an active member of the Phoenix LUG, and I give presentations, though I don't take part in planning other than that.

In my experience, it's mostly three types:

• users who want to see easily digestible segments about upcoming or new stuff. Bhyve, openshift, openstack, docker, ansible/salt. How to get started with them and do useful stuff in less than an hour as a starting point for their own projects
  • business types (for lack of a better description) who show up in business casual and try to sift through the buzz. Frequently seen asking questions about how this product compares to some commercial product. Probably directors and CTOs staying current without getting too technical
  • smug admins/devs/arch Linux users who frequently ask questions which could be on hackernews or bofh punchlines so everyone knows how important and with it they are

Solicit suggestions, but at the risk of sounding elitist, the kind of people who drive groups don't know poo poo. The quiet people will speak up on lists and message boards, and they may actually be able to give it useful direction. In general, though, meeting twice a month (once as a "general bullshit and beers at some bar/restaurant" and once where some VMware solutions architect or engineer or whatever gives a deep dive on vMarketingName) works best in my experience.

A general bs night gives a chance to find out what people are excited about and may want to hear about in a more organic setting than raising their hand in a call for speakers, and a deep dive on lets them learn more about what they're excited about. Or vAnotherMysteryProduct, which may be cool if people knew what the hell it did.

If you are ever game for tilt a kilt let me know(I'll buy). It is on me next time I fly out there(which is soon).

Would be happy to attend any speaks and what not and would love to hear the suggestions you all get.

I agree with the people however for me it is
>Sales people(25%)
>idiots who don't understand what the people below them are doing and only see a pay check(30%)
>Actual people who want to learn(45%)

suprisingly most people just want to work 9-5 and give it up about any thing related to job... It's funny. I just want to help the people in the engineering but all they want to do is drink and go home. Can't blame them, most good engineers are alcoholics or fail to understand money/people/etc and focusing on what they love.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 11, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
nvm

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone here work as a consultant or "infrastructure engineer" at a collocation for data centers? Had some interesting offers passed my way, seems like a good mix of private IT vs. public facing consulting/architecting. Kinda interested in what it's actually like.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

What's the job description?

code:
Develop and/or use tools for systems and infrastructure automation and operation
Freedom to use “the right tool for the job” whether that be PowerShell, Python, Ruby, or something else
Evaluates new emerging technologies (hardware and software)
Expand knowledge in the areas of new development and trends
Manage, automate, monitor and troubleshoot cloud and network infrastructures
Provide reliable, efficient, and secure Infrastructure implementation, design, and engineering
Provide documented architectures, engineering designs, and implementation plans for traditional and cloud-based solutions utilizing industry best practices
Maintain and ensure maximum sustained performance of networks, server, and storage systems
Be available for on-call support and be flexible to work on non-regular hours
Perform ongoing preventive and corrective maintenance
Dunno, probably should run a year or two at my current place. I do like the come in sometime between 9-10 or work from home.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 2, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Man I thought Private IT didn't travel, I love flying all around the country fixing poo poo for this job.

Private IT is kinda mindnumblingly boring, but it does have it's perks, which I can understand for people who are in relationships/have kids/actual lives. But man is it fun to be young and travel a bunch.

Next two weeks in NC
Then week in NY
Then week in NC
Then week in AZ
Then week in DC
Then week in TN

and it goes on, all comp paid.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Inspector_666 posted:

What the hell is "Private IT"?

Where you work for a sole company as internal support and are privatized to that company, where as a VAR or MSP would be external or customer facing.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think it's awesome actually.

Maybe but it is nice to get to work on; EVO RAILS, AWS+Citrix/PVS/MCS/App, VNX/ExtremIO/NetApp,VNX/EQL, UCS, Nexus, NSX/VXLANS, and teach VCP/VCAP at the same time.

adorai posted:

Only until you approach the top of the totem pole. It is extremely rare for me to have a boring day.

I'm only 1 of 2 admins in my position of this company after ~6 months of working for a 5k corp environment an 20k seat environment that needs to be ready jan 1st.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 6, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Where does one get said job?

You in VA? You're on my FB feel free to Message me. We do hire remote.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

What's your position? A 5k corp must have more than 2 admins. How many actual admins are there?

We had 4 but then it became apparent it broke down like this. (using alias names)

(twilight) Citrix, Assist director, Secondary response for <three letter title> response, Best effort AD/FS
(Celestia) Active Directory, power-shell for windows, Secondary L1 support on physical HW and Printers
(trixie) Made things seem harder than they were, eventually let go because I handled all his efforts without any hiccups; Now I basically do Net/Stor/Vmware as my primary
(me) - VMware/Storage, secondary Network at the datacenter TShoot, Best effort Citrix/Exchange/AD/Lync

Now it's Luna and Twilight....

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 6, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
nvm

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 6, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone in town in PhoenixAZ Dec 1-5, then San Fran 6-8th?

Meet up for some beer and local eats in San Fran?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 11, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

When you guys say you're getting hits from Recruiters, are they messaging you directly?

Maybe I should fill out my LinkedIn Profile...

Wait I oh. that was facebook

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a very good chance I'll be in Phx during that timeframe. Possible :yotj: may interfere.

If I'm not in town, here's some good places to check out.

I recommend the Cornish Pasty Co. http://www.cornishpastyco.com/
There's a new Barcade in Tempe: http://endgamebar.com/
I've heard good things about this ethiopian restaurant: http://www.cafelalibela.com/

Highest item is <85 bucks so IDK what to think but worth a shot.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 11, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Lalibela is great.

For fancy (and generally good), see also:

That looks good, Evol and Arb, feel free to join us it's on me feel free to bring your significant others.

PM me for a day that works for the best of you. I was thinking Wednesday 3rd.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

There is a random delay set to each client which you an modify in group policy, not actually in wsus.

Can't you just section out how WSUS updates clients? Then again this assumes you are doing a proper OU/AD/WSUS infrastructure.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So Evol and Dr. Arbitrary

Can do 1 more before I switch to "the Keg"; if we do 6 or more, I will do the keg because I think it's easier to keep under 500-750.

Also anyone in Charleston SC, the night of the 21st? I'll buy for 2.

I love it when my Sr. Director says "You worked enough why are you still here?"

I love my job.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 15, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

stubblyhead posted:

You are literally retarded.

Nope just wish to burn some money!

Money is so boring to deal with...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

#firstworldproblems

Happens when you just fight for what you want and way/may not listen to SA.

Just fight for what you want and do the best you do!

You hit <25 and make what I do, and wow... it's okay I guess...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 15, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CloFan posted:

Looks like the start of an entertaining night..

Nah I just responded, where I shouldn't have responded. I should have dropped it and not responded; my apologizes. I was just trying to meet with some IT goons.

However if you all want to go all full "it's happening", and freak out and poo poo then feel free but holy poo poo do you all not have something better to do?

Then again if you want to over speculate feel free to make something over than what it is....

Feel free to make something out of nothing.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 15, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

B-b-but...it's not Saturday night...

Do you honestly expect this or for people to realize SA isn't all there is and to take control?

Seriously, what do you expect from at 24 year old whom makes way more than double his age and goes into VCDX/EMCISC/CCNA-DC decisions daily? It like IDK study hard as gently caress and not post as much because making more money< some internet poo poo.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm quoting this in case you delete it.

why would I delete it? Just making money owns! Why don't more people do it?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

stubblyhead posted:

I hope someday you realize what your senior director said wasn't a compliment.

When my offer go <95k I might care, but holy poo poo can we get back on topic?

focus on helping people I am done!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 15, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

I loving love you

Who the gently caress cares about <6figs USD

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell is going on?

I responded longer than I should have....