Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Florida is flat, there are no WISPs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BigPaddy posted:

Replace Oracle with any software vendor that also does it's own consultancy. Salesforce hosed my company in the arse hard with their "Professional Services". 3 years down the road and a good 25% of my time is spent fixing their crap and replacing the test classes they wrote that always return true just to get coverage above the contracted 90% number.

Welcome to the domain of "Solutions Architect", it is a very difficult position requiring a lot of knowledge to perform well and you are generally fighting against everyone to do anything whilst also layered in bureaucracy and meetings. It is the jack-of-all-trades master-of-none show piece position.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

air- posted:

What's a solution architect supposed to be responsible for?

It's typically everything but development: some project management, systems analysis and more often business analysis, design architect of said systems, system and integration testing, performance testing, conformance testing, documentation, training, monitoring, and support. I'm a developer-architect so I usually get to pick pieces to work on myself and go super indulgent on random technology of the day.

My calendar has been empty for months though. I see more pre-sales work in the last year as nothing gets signed, recently it's more of a demotion to web-dev and that gets tiresome quick as it is monkey patching an undocumented horrendous Wordpress on Azure install on someones freebie MSDN subscription account.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 5, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tailored Sauce posted:

I put in a lot of hours making sure databases and IIS servers were running smoothly.

The disparity between Windows servers and other vendors in finance is always interesting, for realtime you almost never see Windows and yet some of the core most important machines are Microsoft based.

All the screens on NYSE run Chromium on Ubuntu feeding from Oracle iPlanet of all things on RHEL. The data routing is all through RHEL applications and boxes but the gateways are Microsoft-only. To this day though we still don't have any clients asking to run their core infrastructure on Microsoft systems.

Looks at this marvelous state-of-the art display system, about 2 DPI:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

Before I started working at this place we were buying the best salespeople some 3rd gen i7 laptops. I'm like hey let's get 4th gen i5 laptops from now on, you'll save $800 each laptop and have a better screen and the performance should be about identical, and the CFO was thrilled.

Naturally I get them in today and the sales manager is like "Why can't we get 4th Gen i7? My people NEED them! We should get the best money can buy!"

We run Office365, Webex, and Salesforce. That's it. He's flipping his poo poo right now and trying to track down the CFO.

The clincher is what they are running. I was stunned that Datawatch, a data visualization company, gives their sales people a measly US$1000 budget and they end up buying slow really large door stops For visualization it should be nothing less than the best "retina display" thing you can buy, surely you want everything to look wonderful and fast?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Watching colleagues spread some email borne virus this morning, some .scr file in a zip file with a simple note to read the attached. Hilarious, the Exchange admin took almost four hours to notice and start blocking it.

Meanwhile I've just hit 4 months waiting for our expert networking team to fix a Cisco switch configuration in Texas, go go Cisco Certified Engineers!

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 10, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ElGroucho posted:

For Christmas, Evil Santa is bringing me a new year filled with idiots using Windows on Macbooks

oh joy

Please let me know the best way to replace a HDD with a bootcamp install. I have two mac minis that are depressingly slow and I want to replace with an SSD but I do not want to reinstall anything.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Paladine_PSoT posted:

DHCP chat. A while back my entire building's connections were hosed. It took a while to track down the root cause. Ultimately, a dev hosed up setting up a test environment in his office, got his wan and lan ports confused, and was spewing leases for his test domain all over.

The dev's test was successful, the network engineer hosed up: is how I read it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Why do some software vendors still think it's OK to ship UNIX software packaged as an install script and a README?

The answer is unfortunately because it requires effort on the developers and release team. The release team don't know how to package anything and the developers spray poo poo over everything and don't understand the Unix filesystem and where files should be placed.

Frequently you will end up in a proprietary ecosystem which has many interdependencies that simply cannot fit into any sensible package system and would have to be completely redesigned to do so. Also consider refactoring, bad managers do not see the benefit of either and only the short term costs.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

evol262 posted:

What is /opt? I know it's not used very often these days, but "proprietary ecosystem which has many interdependencies that simply cannot fit into any sensible package system" -> shove that poo poo in /opt and do whatever god-awful LD_LIBRARY crap you want to do there.

Actually the product I'm thinking of dumps the most in /opt/<company name> but leaks out into /etc, /lib, /var. They have actually cleaned up a lot and not much is in /usr or ~admin and not forgetting a dozen or so links in / so there is progress.

Just though of the second major reason: permissions. Giving a tarball or zip file to someone means they can extract and run software without privileges. Very useful in finance firms with the most harsh lock down policies ever. I think you can do this for ages with rpm --prefix=/opt/carrots relocation already but that goes back to the initial points.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 9, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

evol262 posted:

terrible security and terrible software development practice.

That sums up financial institutions. I've always seen their Unix/Linux environments infinitely more practical than the Windows workstations: no CD drives, blocked USB ports, filtered Internet, multiple weeks delay on security audit on software, etc. Hilarious when my colleagues get stuck by it. I've always managed to bypass the restrictions with the clients I have worked with though, from using webmail in Thailand to using plain SCP.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Well OWA is utterly terrible at the best of times. Seemed to have broken image uploads for all OS X browsers for the last month or so, how they can mess up a simple HTML button is beyond me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

incoherent posted:

Would you use this or recommend to manage, oh I don't know.......30 million documents (14TB or so)?

I'd probably be happier with that than Sharepoint, Xerox's DocuShare, or yuck: Jive.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You could always copy & paste with "quick edit" mode enabled, similar to X11 it is select to copy and right-click to paste.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MagnumOpus posted:

This is less about the language and more about the programmer.

I've never understood why people try to be clever in managed languages. Seems like slapping a spoiler on a minivan.

Insert mental defect of your choice. They don't even see the problem, witness Arthur Whitney from KX Systems,

quote:

BC: Do you ever look at your own code and think, "What the hell was I doing here?"

AW: No, I guess I don't.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8533843

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 13, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That is hilarious, do the sites have any DRM content?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ElGroucho posted:

I'm trying to look through the source code; I'm no web developer, but it looks so loving bad... it starts to have visual anomalies along the search bar, so that's where I'm starting

Compare browsers, you may have a graphics issue, you can try disabling acceleration in say Google Chrome. It probably changes location in the settings every other version though:

http://www.solveyourtech.com/turn-hardware-acceleration-google-chrome/

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

People who don't understand why professional athletes are paid more than teachers are kinda dumb.

You can see a future with MOOC teachers being paid similar amounts.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol:, Reuters pushes out a lot of software on Linux and have now decided to pull support for RHEL7 because it costs :10bux: and now support Oracle Linux and CentOS 7 instead.

quote:

Supported Platforms:
Linux: Oracle Linux 6 & 7, CentOS Linux 7, RHEL 6.x
Windows: Win7, Win8, Server 2008, Server 2012
Solaris: Solaris 10 X86, Solaris 11 X86

Unsurprisingly managers who push this stuff don't understand Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 are actual separate OSs.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

How many people say: drive out to Kinko's?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

OAquinas posted:

t the VP IT gets a frowny face when techs advise higher-ups at HQ to bypass IT infrastructure and go third party.

I'm surprised Fedex didn't go with a hybrid managed print service managing in house print services and the off-site print shop they do now. It follows the outsource-everything model some companies love.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

NUMA is a hardware feature, it is never going to be a BIOS setting. The 4657v2 does have the fastest system bus of that generation though.

From the website that app looks very much a desktop only piece so throwing server hardware at it seems a little foolish. I guess you can use HyperV to run a Windows instance per NUMA node and a copy of the app in each.

I'm not sure I would not have just tried out Amazon or Azure hosted desktop first, RDPv8 is pretty spiffy these days. Then it is a lot easier to follow hardware upgrades.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Happy Friday!
For those of us in positions/places now better than previous jobs, let's take a moment to reflect and be thankful.
:yotj: 2015!

D-Link may be worse than the cabling here.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bhodi posted:

IPv6 loving sucks to deal with on a daily basis; at least you can hold an IPv4 address in your head.

What situations need an IPv6 address with no access to DNS? You can always run a dig on a console with an easy to remember name. I presume it is always down to really bad software on appliances.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Erwin posted:

IPv6 eliminates the need for NAT, but not firewalls. Just make sure your cybertoilet is behind a quality home firewall. Hopefully one will exist by then.

Apple already supports the minimal protection NAT provides:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

codo27 posted:

I'm interviewing for a position that will entail installing chromeboxes. I haven't had one in my hands yet to fool with, I cant imagine there can be all that much to it but any pointers would be a help.

In a large way? Probably Google's GPO integration: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/188446?hl=en

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ChickenWing posted:

My fiancee's company is looking for a cloud hosting -and- service delivery company - they're a smallish project management shop (25-30 employees) with two locations that wants to move all their data and programs offsite. They've found a company that'll do this for a 25k (CAD) setup fee, plus 4k/month. This gets them a bunch of dudes at a couple of datacenters provisioning them a bunch of VMs to remote into plus stuff like exchange servers and whatnot. My questions are:

1) Does this sound like a good price? I've never heard of this particular sort of service before.
2) Can anyone recommend similar providers?

Moving Exchange to a Windows Server in hosting does not sound very cloud like.

There must be a significant number of line items that make a comparison quite complicated to effectively make.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Anybody else babysitting Rackspace's rebootopocalypse2015?

Is this for Xen? There is a big scary notice on Linode that October 29th is big danger day.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

No shock sensors on the box? I've never seen racks moved without them:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Lord Dudeguy posted:

:j: "I need this USB drive to work."
:) "USB drives aren't allowed."
:j: "A customer gave it to me."
:) "What... NO. Remove the drive and hand it back. It could have a virus."
:j: "I don't care, he says it has an important document."

However it should be considered a perfectly reasonable request, it is frankly white knighting a terrible OS.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

But only $600 cheaper than a BladeCenter S?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Who will, in turn, blame "the network".

I'm surprised this is still a thing in nearly TYOOL 2016, but the majority of Cisco's product line up still cannot manage line speed so :shepspends:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

KillHour posted:

We use 3:4 monitors at 1024x768, and I asked my boss when we were going to get monitors from this century. His response was to get mad at me, say the resolution is fine and it's all anyone should need. "What, you want us to buy everyone 22" widescreen monitors!?!?"

Uh.... yes?

Answer: no, 27" monitors. 22" works out the same size as a 17" 4:3 chopped in half, you are losing screen real estate.

You can use http://www.tvcalculator.com to help match equivalent sizes up, a 19" 4:3 is about a 24" widescreen.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 13, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

DigitalMocking posted:

Before:

:barf:

After:

:allears:

Carpet hasn't changed :colbert:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

frogbert posted:

Can someone please explain to me what nutanix is? Their website is incomprehensible and I'm not entirely sure it isn't a parody of something.

:eng99:

Commercial FreeNAS, the software lives on a USB stick and you provide the hardware. There are quite a few players in this space, including Open-e, Wasabi Systems, OpenFiler, Rockstor, ...

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 3, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

1000101 posted:

None of these are remotely close to what Nutanix is...

Yeah, oops, I was looking at some of their install videos not the website :eng99:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

I involuntarily twitch when someone pronounces SQL as "S-Q-L" rather than "sequel". Anyone else itt?

Do you trigger on the product names as it is supposed to be Microsoft Sequel server and My S-Q-L server?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Libreoffice doesn't.

Of course it does, and way back before Microsoft did, but they have stupid Save As ... and Export As ... menu options.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh. I never noticed that. Does the .pdf come out editable, or is it stuck as that form, and you've got to edit whatever other format you save it as?

PDF are generally not editable period, I guess that's why they put it as an export option so you do not forget to keep the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Inspector_666 posted:

Psh, IDEs are for nerds. I use an ISE.

The PTVS and RTVS systems are pretty interesting to work with: