Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Should've done a gpupdate

I wasn't remoted in. This was easier to explain and took an extra 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Can anybody recommend an extension they trust with their work e-mail that can schedule mail sends in Gmail? Should I just suck it up and use Outlook for that?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

KillHour posted:

Edit: My last ticket was "User's mapped drives are missing. Solution: Had user log off and back on."

This is not a good use of my skill set.

I feel you man. Many of us have been there. It gets better :unsmith:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Can anybody recommend an extension they trust with their work e-mail that can schedule mail sends in Gmail? Should I just suck it up and use Outlook for that?

Bulk or you want to scam your way into showing up late tomorrow without having to wake up to your wicked hangover?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Can't it be both?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

H110Hawk posted:

Bulk or you want to scam your way into showing up late tomorrow without having to wake up to your wicked hangover?

Usually between 1-5 mails. It's generally new hire info that I don't want to have to remember to send out the night before they start.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

I've always used that, and I trust Mozilla enough.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He's 26 though, if he's going to turn a colossal mistake into one of the biggest learning opportunities of his life this is the time to do it.

Eh. Larchesandrew and Blackswordca are both out, we need someone to warm our black hearts.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DigitalRaven posted:

Eh. Larchesandrew and Blackswordca are both out, we need someone to warm our black hearts.

Don't worry about me. I'm already completely jaded. I'll be fine.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

At what point do you say enough is enough when it comes to interviewing for a job? The most I've ever had was a phone screening, 1st interview that was informal, and then a second more technical interview and overview of future projects and IT needs. If I ever have to past that I think I'll just say no unless I'm really desperate.

It really depends on the position I think. For example our post-sales people end up going through 3 phone interviews and the last one is a 4 hour face to face.

The first phone interview is usually the recruiter screener asking things like "have you ever..." and "do you feel comfortable with..." Usually 30 minutes.

The next interview is usually the hiring manager trying to just understand their personality/attitude how they approach poo poo. Another 30 minute to 1 hour call depending.

After that there's a basic technical screen to sniff out resume bullshit. We try to keep those at ~30 minutes even when they're going well.

Assuming thats all good we'll bring you to the office for a halfday session that may involve whiteboarding, presentation, etc. If you're traveling then we'll put you up in a hotel and pay for airfair/car.

If it's a sales or pre-sales then all that poo poo goes out the window and you end up talking to a couple of the account managers, the EVP who owns sales engineering, presales engineering, the EVP who owns professional services, and at least one of the owners.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Usually between 1-5 mails. It's generally new hire info that I don't want to have to remember to send out the night before they start.

Can you hook something in to whatever HR system you use? Can you make HR send the emails as part of their welcome package?

Sounds like some kind of combination of a cronjob hooked to ldap could send the emails? I don't know how much unique information needs to go into them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
All of that is more work than just using Google Apps Sync and using Outlook to send them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

All of that is more work than just using Google Apps Sync and using Outlook to send them.

We've managed to offload most-to-all of the "1-5 templated emails" new hires get to be HR's problem. :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

H110Hawk posted:

We've managed to offload most-to-all of the "1-5 templated emails" new hires get to be HR's problem. :v:

Yeah, I'm very much trying to offload more of this to HR but it's slow going.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Hey what fun thing can I do with 4x R720s that no one wants or needs anymore and have never been built or touched for the 6 months they've sat in my office after being ordered by someone else.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Docjowles posted:

When I interviewed with Google, it involved: a recruiter phone screen, two hour-long technical phone screens, and a ~6 hour onsite (which did include lunch). Plus several hours on the phone with their recruiter here and there about various things. Not getting that job after investing all that time sure was a kick in the nuts!

The interview process for Google was crazy for a management position.

Multiple calls, one full day, one half day, then the closed the position. Never again google, never again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey what fun thing can I do with 4x R720s that no one wants or needs anymore and have never been built or touched for the 6 months they've sat in my office after being ordered by someone else.

Send them to me. I will pay shipping.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

KillHour posted:

Send them to me. I will pay shipping.

unfortunately I'm stuck with them as they're on a fixed term lease. I might setup a bitcoin mining rig. Dual Xeon I think E5-2650 v3s in each one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

http://www.nutanix.com/products/community-edition/

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

e: nah

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

^^ And I had a really good pun ready for that, too.

CLAM DOWN posted:

unfortunately I'm stuck with them as they're on a fixed term lease. I might setup a bitcoin mining rig. Dual Xeon I think E5-2650 v3s in each one.

Buttcoin isn't going to be worth the power draw if you're not using GPUs or ASICs. Do GIMPS if you're in the mood to spend CPU cycles for no reason.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Can someone please explain to me what nutanix is? Their website is incomprehensible and I'm not entirely sure it isn't a parody of something.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

frogbert posted:

Can someone please explain to me what nutanix is? Their website is incomprehensible and I'm not entirely sure it isn't a parody of something.

I hadn't heard of them until today in the SAN thread, and they became a candidate for my storage project. The website is no joke unless you do storage though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KillHour posted:

Don't worry about me. I'm already completely jaded. I'll be fine.

Ahhh I remember back when I was 26 and thought I was completely jaded. :allears:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

frogbert posted:

:eng99:

Commercial FreeNAS, the software lives on a USB stick and you provide the hardware. There are quite a few players in this space, including Open-e, Wasabi Systems, OpenFiler, Rockstor, ...

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 3, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Ahhh I remember back when I was 26 and thought I was completely jaded. :allears:

That lovely time as you grow older and wiser where you realize how much more jaded you can become. :3:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Someone from the gym stole my Nutanix water bottle :(

I bet they thought it was a vitamin supplement.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
After a few months of complaining that we're too overburdened, the Director of IT finally got board approval to open a req, and start looking to bring 1 more IT resource on board.
Today's meeting about requirements for the posting, he said "let's get someone with an ITT tech degree, those guys know all the stuff we need them to know".

My :yotj: can't come fast enough.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Alfajor posted:

After a few months of complaining that we're too overburdened, the Director of IT finally got board approval to open a req, and start looking to bring 1 more IT resource on board.
Today's meeting about requirements for the posting, he said "let's get someone with an ITT tech degree, those guys know all the stuff we need them to know".

My :yotj: can't come fast enough.

ITT tech folks are basically sub human.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

That lovely time as you grow older and wiser where you realize how much more jaded you can become. :3:

After 5 years being in engineering I don't even think I have come close to being max jaded. I can't wait to hit the bottom!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Working in IT 3.0: let's get someone with an ITT tech degree

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

CLAM DOWN posted:

Working in IT 3.0: let's get someone with an ITT tech degree

die die die.

as an aside, :toot: boss just told me work would like me to start taking certain management certification classes so I can form the NetSec group I pitched earlier this year.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

After 5 years being in engineering I don't even think I have come close to being max jaded. I can't wait to hit the bottom!

:downsgun: I've been at this job longer than you've been in engineering, don't worry there is an infinitely deep well of jadedness ahead of you! The deeper you swim the more delicious the whiskey.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

:downsgun: I've been at this job longer than you've been in engineering, don't worry there is an infinitely deep well of jadedness ahead of you! The deeper you swim the more delicious the whiskey.

My jadedness is at an accelerated rate because I have done nothing but complete engineering projects since the beginning (concept, picking parts, board layout, firmware, and software development). So I get to deal with all of that and vendors and random company infrastructure problems.

I'm catching up!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

frogbert posted:

I legit thought it was a new take on the Turbo Encabulator for a moment.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

When I was 26 I was given a formality interview at a diner before being hired to run a group of 10 engineers with a $2m cap budget, age shouldn't factor in whatsoever
While I do not advocate age discrimination, I do believe that hiring a 20 something for senior anything is worth at least some additional scrutiny. I remember when I was 26, and while I didn't exactly have poor judgement then, I know that it has only gone up from that point. Honestly, hiring a manager in a diner shows poor judgement on its own. At least do it in a formal setting so that the future subordinates know the interview wasn't just a sham.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

MrMoo posted:

Commercial FreeNAS, the software lives on a USB stick and you provide the hardware. There are quite a few players in this space, including Open-e, Wasabi Systems, OpenFiler, Rockstor, ...

None of these are remotely close to what Nutanix is...

Nutanix is basically a storage/server system rolled up into a box where the local storage in every node gets presented back to all of the nodes as one big shared volume. Usually used for running some form of virtualization.

A close analog would be vSphere + VSAN but nutanix also provides a lot of helpful tools to get up and running through wizards. It'll go through and setup the shared storage and instal your hypervisor of choice while you go to lunch.

edit:

Someone just posted this helpful link in the virtualization thread http://nutanixbible.com/ (thanks TwoDeer!)

1000101 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 3, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know of a way to block .js and .exe attachments from being downloaded as attachments on home computers? I'm trying to better secure my aunt's computer tomorrow. I'm going to put bitdefender, malwarebytes, and adblock extensions on there, but I'm not sure what else to do. She uses webmail, is the thing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
now if you're hiring just look them up on social media and see how much terrible judgement they have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone know of a way to block .js and .exe attachments from being downloaded as attachments on home computers? I'm trying to better secure my aunt's computer tomorrow. I'm going to put bitdefender, malwarebytes, and adblock extensions on there, but I'm not sure what else to do. She uses webmail, is the thing.

A web proxy can do this, but I doubt you really want to go to the trouble of setting one up.