Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My life revolves around managing an MRP system where the Operations Management team decides to completely change business processes in every 6 months to account for physical fuckups in inventory control. Like they want the IT group to implement a directed pick and inventory storage protocol despite the fact that the warehouse team won't loving put inventory in the correct spot in the first place. I keep having meetings with C level executives explaining that we have to get our physical business processes straightened out before we throw $20k at a warehouse management system that won't actually fix anything (because people will still put the loving parts in the wrong location).

Our revenue stream has increased threefold in 4 years, but we are still acting like we're a small time manufacturing plant. Also, every inventory discrepancy or planning fuckup is blamed on "the system" despite the fact that nobody ever produces any evidence as to how the system is doing things wrong. I finally put my foot down and said that I wouldn't offer assistance unless concrete evidence was presented that proved that our planning software wasn't working. Surprisingly the Ops manager bought into this. The only problem is that now they just quit trying to fix root problems and things never get resolved.

On the plus side, I only have one on-call week per month and I rarely have to work over 40 hours a week, so that's nice.

I swear, the next job I get is going to be out of automotive manufacturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MiniFoo posted:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tch/5560227582.html

This has to be a joke, right? If this company really exists, I pity its clients and any job-seekers who naively – or otherwise – accept an offer of employment with them. (I'm copying it here in the event it's removed for one reason or another.)

I LURVE LEARNING. Like in a bizarre sexual fetish way. Guess I should apply and take my mandatory Zoloft prescription.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I sometimes feel mad when my boss gets mad at me for wearing jeans and a collared shirt on Wednesday, even though it's compliant with company policy.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This reminds me of a diatribe I heard at a consultancy firm about how Millenials don't know how to act and think it's acceptable to wear "garbage like Metallica shirts" to company meetings.

Sounds like that gentleman had his life in order, sir! :colbert:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sweet that brought me back to middle school ca. 2003.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When I work from home, my dress code is underwear if you're lucky. I've done a couple of Webex conferences sitting in my bedclothes. I wish I could do WFH all the time...

Are there any good resources for installing MS Systems Center in either print or online copies? I've got a coworker who is struggling with getting the software setup in our development environment. I wish I could help him, but unfortunately my expertise is SQL in the organization.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Walked posted:

Systems Center is a whole suite (SCCM/SCVMM/DPM/SCOM)
Which component is he trying to get going? SCCM is the bees knees, SCOM is okay but a bit of a kludge initially, SCVMM everyone seems to have mixed views on, and DPM is kinda mediocre but nice for backup if youre already licensed for the whole suite.

Either way; there are plenty of guides - espeically for lab environments.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2013/10/30/configmgr-2012-r2-quickstart-deployment-guide/

I believe we're primarily going for SCCM. I'll forward our SysAdmin that link and see if it helps him. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I feel your pain on the AT&T shittiness, but dealing with Marcatel and Telmex in Monterrey, MX is loving terrible. That and the fact that people randomly cut fiber bulkheads in the middle of business isn't conducive for a 24/7 manufacturing facility.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

go3 posted:

I tell my clients never put something in writing that you would want a Judge or your mother to read

My mother would agree with my bitching about coworkers...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is it particularly common for the recruiter to be in the same room as the interviewee during an interview? I've sat in on a few interviews like that and I felt like it made the candidate look bad that he had to have a recruiter speak on his behalf.

Then again, we were dealing with Robert Half...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What better way to represent your company than Trump and the NRA.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is your end goal executive management or simply the monetary benefits of being promoted? I'd kind of lean towards the new job offer myself since it seems like it will be less stress than your current one. An acceptable work/life balance can far outweigh financial compensation if it is of value to you. I also think that it's pretty common to change positions in order to move up in title.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Question is, are they really going to be pulling up your sexual deviance/internet history during a security screen? I would imagine they're more interested in your reliability and trustworthiness than your kink.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So what I'm hearing is that Gov't IT is a great job if you want to work a full time job and accomplish nothing?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My boss used pies as a metaphor to explain binary notation and subnetting today. Fast forward to him yelling "HOW MANY PIES DO YOU HAVE???" after my coworker wasn't getting it.

"How many pies do you have" is now the office inside joke. I live in a loving sitcom.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is it true that you cannot retrieve e-mails older than 90 days without legal action against Microsoft? We have a user that is disabled in AD and we need to retrieve e-mails from around 6 months ago. Apparently that's not possible without a subpoena.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks Ants posted:

If you deleted a mailbox then it's likely that the data is not going to be retrievable regardless of whether you subpoena Microsoft.

A bit late but if you think you need to have copies of user emails retained then you need to be looking at the Office 365 features/products designed for this:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637980(v=exchg.150).aspx

Is it reasonable to spin up an Exchange server locally to create a duplicate of the e-mail database from Office 365?

We actually migrated from local Exchange up to Office 365, but the management team didn't know about the Microsoft policy regarding older e-mails. My boss any SysAdmin are freaking out about this right now. The mailbox in question shouldn't have been deleted; only the AD account was disabled.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can anybody link a good resource that explains the OSI model in relation to the Citrix stack? We're doing some internal training for CCNA certs and my boss has asked my coworker and I to prepare for an OSI discussion next Wednesday.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If any goons are at Dell World this week, holler. I'll probably be drinking myself into oblivioun to try and erase all this marketspeak from my brain.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Perhaps you don't wish to have a business relationship with people who are using racist language. Is the contract that good

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

psydude posted:

You've never worked in a customer facing capacity, have you.

Thankfully not often.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Guess who accidentally bumped the power breaker to the switch rack this morning?

Thank god everything came back up gracefully.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Basically emergency shutoffs are always placed directly within the path of falling objects/fat asses.

My boss was cool about the mistake though. poo poo happens and we were only down for about 10 minutes.

My fuckup claim to fame continues to be removing a 2 year old snapshot from a production database server at 2:00AM which caused about 14 hours of downtime on a Tuesday/Wednesday. Suffice it to say I learned the dangers of reading a help article without knowing full well the consequences.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just write the admin password on a sticky note and tape it on the bottom of your keyboard. Nobody will ever find it!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

mewse posted:

And when it expires, just use white-out to cover the number at the end and write in the number you incremented by 1

Why would the password expire???

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm sure we've all suffered through telling management that they need to spend $300 upgrading labeling software because the loving LPT dongle is no longer supported by the manufacturer.

Yeah you'll spend $4000 on customer entertainment but you won't budge on production critical software because "we just need to make it work".

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

First jobs are a big learning experience for anybody especially when you're in early 20s. Like I used to actively try and take EVERY THING personally in my job whether it be daily work or interpersonal relationships. I mean I would get SUPER pissed off if somebody commented on work I just completed. I also had to learn how to deal with people from different backgrounds and age groups. Some people take technical explanations as you trying to talk down to them while others get pissed off that you have too limited of information. Biggest learning curve is just learning how professional environments work outside of a college setting.

One thing that I found really helps is that I repeat instruction back to my manager so that we both know that we understand each other. Some managers are more receptive to criticism when they hear their own words and have a chance to think about it. I also have a manager who is a bit bipolar and either wants too much information or doesn't give a gently caress (which coincides with his medicine supply incidentally). I just got in the habit of writing down follow up items and send out a quick update every week on things I'm working on.

I'm 27 now and I feel I have a decent grasp on intercompany relations, but I still get pissed every once in a while when a good idea gets struck down by bureaucracy. As other posters have said, not every hill is the one you should die on.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I don't think I've ever wanted to be more drunk than I am now, and I'm getting my stomach pumped. Thanks thread.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Speaking of Polycom phones, has anybody had an issue to where phone to phone calls were clipping and dropping out? We don't have an on-premise server handling our phone traffic. It's all being routed out to the cloud, even for phone to phone communication. The strange thing is that calls to external lines are not affected by this issue. AT&T says it's a vendor issue, but the vendor is saying that it's an AT&T issue.

We've got a 10 MBPS connection, which is admittedly slow, but I can't see how VOIP traffic can eat up all that bandwidth. Then again I'm just a glorified DBA so I'm not sure how all of this phone poo poo works, but we get a bunch of snarky e-mails from our engineering group about the phones on a weekly basis.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks Ants posted:

Are they using different codecs internally than when going via your cloud host for external calls?

Mirror the port the phone is on and Wireshark it.

This seems to be an issue with the "cheaper" phone specifically. This doesn't occur on the higher end phones because I think that the codecs used are different. I'll run this by my networking admin and see if they've already tried it.

Contingency posted:

Had a site with a two-node server cluster using multicast and switches that weren't set up for multicast. The raw PPS hitting each phone port as a result was overwhelming them.

Another good question I'll ask networking. I think the main issue is that the traffic isn't restricted to the LAN itself. The data actually goes out to the cloud and back in from what I understand.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Internet Explorer posted:

How many users do you have that you guys went with a solution that doesn't do direct phone-to-phone with a 10Mbs connection?

Maybe 35-40? It was a situation where we had a 15 year old PBX system go out with a non recoverable fax server software running on SBS 2003. We keep pushing to upgrade our bandwidth but the C-Levels keep nixing it.

Basically our solution is to just suffer until somebody breaks down and upgrades the connection or does an on-prem solution again.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I figured it wasn't going to be an easy solution. My involvement with it is second hand at best.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

fishmech posted:

Basic sanity check here: when you say you have a 10 megabit connection, is that both directions or just the downstream? Because if your upstream's significantly slower, which it could be, the VOIP phones will really eat into that on top of any other traffic you have going on.

It's 10/10 both ways. We need to implement QoS but getting this to work via AT&T is apparently difficult according to my networking guy.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Internet Explorer posted:

Everything you've mentioned is wrong and bad.

That's what I'm gathering. Luckily I'm not on the networking side of things at work.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

psydude posted:

I'm failing to see a situation where having a single physical server is better than having multiple physical hosts clustered together for fault tolerance and the ability to quickly restore a guest VM to a previous state.

No but you see the Sysadmin read an article on Google in 2007 how VMs were unreliable and crashed and he has taken that as the Lord's Own Gospel.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Had multiple and repeated power surges over the weekend and we came in this morning to half of the APs losing their configurations. HAPPY NEW YEARS! :toot:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I know the answer to this one cause I've dealt with this idiocy in past jobs.

Either

1) they never bought a controller at all because your time has no value please go manually configure 80 access points.

or

2) The controller broke, and no you can't have a new one. Make the wifi work.

We actually do have a controller but two of the endpoints are being difficult right now. We're trying to reload the configurations of those endpoints to see if that helps. I'm as far removed from networking as I can be so I hope they get things straightened out soon.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oh well it also didn't help that the SA decided to enable DHCP filter without understanding how that would bork all of the network connections.

It's been a fun first day back at work y'all.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sounds like a great way to get mugged/ridiculed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

air- posted:

An e-mail from a recruiter came in. Their client is hiring Windows 10 deployment techs and mentions being confident that applicants can learn the skills on the job.

Required: Computer Science degree

I bet it pays $15/hr too :yayclod:

How is this poo poo not criminal yet? You don't need a goddamn college degree to deploy Windows.