Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where I'm at the management hates the rating systems as much as the peons do. It's entirely manufactured by HR so that no one gets their feelings hurt and the company can't be sued because someone got unfairly denied a raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just think if Thanos had aimed for 70%, his plan might have worked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or start a construction company in those areas and hire high school kids to run all your digging equipment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Municipal broadband is different from a startup company. In the latter case they won't sue you, they'll just drag their asses giving access to infrastructure such as poles until you go bankrupt.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes, but it's a regional thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The downside to being an ES admin is you will also become a java admin because you're gonna be spending your waking hours sifting through those enormous stack traces java likes to barf constantly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

how do you hand deliver a resume to a remote company

Just think of the grit and determination of the candidate that pulls it off though. Instant hire.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I forget everything the minute I walk out the door. I don't sit around thinking about all the poo poo I fixed all day. I've been doing it for so long, it's all gone man.

:same:

I know I got stories, but 90% of it is looking at a log someone else didn't think to or scrolling through google results. That story goes in the trash bin 15 minutes after I've fixed things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We'd all probably be better off if the archives were lost anyways.

But obviously the only path forward to prevent this ever happening again is migrate the entire site to an ES backend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrKatharsis posted:

A few years ago when the forums went down I think it was mentioned that they were running on MySQL which will absolutely have problems if you run a backup on the active node.

Details? I've never heard of this, and have run a small internal database for various management stuff for 15 years and have done fine with a nightly mysqldump and a binary log fur the sub-24 hour period. I've done restores on it too.

Granted, it's a really small database.. it was up to 10gb for a while but it's shrunk a lot since then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you take the time to update your scripts to php dbo you can connect to pretty much any database you can imagine (it has an mssql driver).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

I'm sure you do other important things like running default nessus scans and mailing teams the report with no context while creating high prio incidents/problems for it in the ticketing system. Right?

I have two teams doing this for me. My local group forwarding their scans, and the parent organization running their scans to make sure we're keeping on top of our scans.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Contingency posted:

Six months in Asus stops releasing updates for the $400 router shaped like a stealth bomber and it becomes a IoT bitcoin miner for a teenager in Ukraine.

That's why I buy my routers from Latvia, they know how to deal with former soviet states.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those candy crust assets are ENORMOUS.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Fool posted:

You should not be using console text editors at all.

Where's the howto for x11 over a serial console?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best automation is someone pasting shell commands into a wiki and breaking it up with commentary so you can't even cut and paste the whole thing in one go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

I maintain the position that if vi weren't mandated in POSIX and SUS it wouldn't have lasted as more than a niche thing beyond the limited terminals it was designed around.

It's okay to be wrong. :buddy:

There are a massive number of editors out there, and unix nerds aren't so stuck in their ways that they never try new things. If vi was really that bad it would have died 30 years ago, so the simpler explanation is that a lot of people actually prefer it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've got 20 years of linux admin behind me and now we're all in on self hosted cloud poo poo and I wonder how that's gonna work into my next interview because it's looking like we're gonna be pulling up stakes in a year or two.

"Uh yeah I can keep a kubernetes cluster running, that's useful to you, right??"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah but an in house outage means management can pin the blame on specific people and fire them to make it look like stuff is being done to mitigate the problem!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We use a homegrown provisioning system that builds a redhat kickstart file and tells dhcpd to respond to a booting machine and despite the lack of features or usability and regular bugs people in the group seem to like it. It helps that every other provisioning system out there is a convoluted mess so it may be more of a "this is bad, but it could be worse" type deal.

We even ran an in-house developed dhcpd (in perl!) for many years until Kea matured because restarting isc-dhcpd for every reconfig was really rickety.

I don't know if that's a example for or against homegrown apps though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No one on either side of the conversation enjoys the interview process, so I can kinda see why companies would try to automate it. But that's one of those things where in a reasonable environment it's brought up in conversation and everyone immediately rejects it because it's a horrible idea.

But I guess some of the really hosed up companies find it easier than actually developing an enjoyable workplace that lowers the turnover rate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sepist posted:

Unless your troubleshooting an end to end encrypted session then lmao good loving luck. Hate troubleshooting https poo poo.

If openssl s_client doesn't give me enough info to figure it out, I claim it's unsolvable and wash my hands of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ignored my voicemail so long I got an email from the help desk asking if I wanted it and if not they could delete it for me. Of course I said yes.

Then some years later they upgraded to voip and the new system reinstated my voicemail.. which I still ignore. But now we have Slack and no one uses phones anymore so it doesn't matter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Meanwhile, until I can easily pin a specific web app to my task bar and have it be in a different grouping of apps than my browser, it's pretty much the only thing I dislike about using web apps. Even Chrome's pinned tabs thing doesn't stay consistently.

iOS has this feature (because Steve Jobs thought apps were stupid) and it's pretty great to pin a bookmark to the home screen and when you tap it there's no hint it's a web browser. It behaves just like an app and I really like it.

That's a long way for me to say :same: Let web apps be managed like apps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've worn shoes so little the past year the callouses on my feet faded and shoes feel like coffins now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think pressure is building for a return to the office, and while there is certainly some percentage of companies that realize they save a lot of money with WFH there's also a huge number of retirement age managers out there that are mad they can't survey their ducklings every morning.

It's gonna be interesting to see how it plays out but I'm not optimistic. While it would be nice for employees to get the upper hand just once, history makes it clear that never actually happens.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

the only good thing about the office is being able to eat a different thing every day

On the other hand having your entire kitchen around the corner is amazing too. You can make a different thing every day!

And if it happens to be leftovers you don't have to share a microwave.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've not once had an SSD fail. I know it happens, it's hardware, it's gonna break eventually. But every install has outgrown the capacity/speed before we've ever gotten to that point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Translated: everyone is using company money for personal upgrades and no one wants to get caught or end the freebies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I will inject that if you manage to have an inventory management system that someone else maintains, it's pretty drat glorious for lifecycle management. I can query an API in service now to get everything one might want about a server.. ip address, hostname, hardware addresses, warranty expiration date, what room it's in, and who the stakeholder is. It's certainly a lot of work get the databases to that point but hot dang is it nice when managing 3000 systems plus desktops/laptops for 1500 employees.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know what's in a DHCP packet but that's only because I've actually written and maintained a DHCP server.

I still have to pull up RFC's to figure out how to use DHCP options though, that poo poo is worthless to memorize (even though modern servers still need you to be familiar with them). Any job that expects you to have it memorized it ain't worth having so you dodged a bullet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can determine how long someone has been a sysadmin by how they handle rebooting a server. The new ones fret and ask for approval, sending warning emails hours in advance. The sophomores send wall messages an hour in advance and additional ones every ten minutes. The veterans slap out a hastily written wall 5 seconds before reboot, and the old fucks that don't give a poo poo hard cycle it with a command to the PDU.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plain old seniority works too. When everyone knows who you are and how you get poo poo done when it's necessary you get a lot of latitude to gently caress off when stuff is quiet. No manager hat required, and more importantly, no meetings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best case it was a trick question to get idiots to describe class subnetting and disqualify them for being tricked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Also, anyone who prides themselves on having memorized the entire set is gonna have a real fun time when IPv6 really starts being used widely, which I'm sure is just around the corner.

It's totally really gonna happen this time, the US federal government is handing out mandates that departments need to be 100% converted to ipv6 by the end of 2025. No dual stack allowed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have a handy well written shell script that takes a hostname and a one time password to generate a key. I know the option, I know it needs the fqdn, but every single time I check the help out anyways to visually confirm because I HATE loving up the one time password and needing to ask for a reset. So I get paralyzed that I'm about to gently caress it up and double (then triple) check the arguments. I've done it hundreds of times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ethernet cable design relies on the twisted pairs to protect from interference from other wires in the cable. So a flat cable can probably work, but only over very short distances. I've never bothered to try and we don't keep flat cables in house anymore so the opportunity is gone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

I hate this attitude. At Exxon, the blue badges always got all the perks, treats, outings and such while us yellow badges got nothing even if we worked side by side on the same project.
Much as we like to pretend otherwise, human behavior is still controlled by tribal bullshit and all the horrible abuses that entails.

It feels like it's getting better, but it's slow and not enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I visited NYC this weekend and I can’t stop thinking about what a nightmare living there would be without the subway system

Don't forget the taxis when going somewhere the subway doesn't reach!

I grew up in the west where everything is 100 miles apart then worked in Hoboken for a couple years, a functioning mass transit system (taxi's aren't really mass transit but they fill a niche) is pretty drat glorious. Just requires one to be able to adjust to constant noise and that weird city smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know it's legit because it comes with the standard "nothing is changing" statement.