Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: isn't DAF a huge anime fan, he should see this
If you ask him he'll probably tell you he authored it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I just retired a DL360 G3 today, built circa 2003. :angel: I wish I could say it's the last one, but there are a couple more I know about that are that old still up and running.
No G3s, but we have at least two DL380 G4 still in production. :suicide:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dumb IIS question: How do I get a virtual directory pointing at a network share to work?

I have an application under the default web site, and under the application is a virtual directory pointing at an UNC path.

The application is running in an application pool using NetworkService, and I have granted domain\servername$ read access to the share, which according to the docs I've found should be enough. But I still get a 401 error when trying to access the virtual directory. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

http://averybrewing.com/our-ales/uncle-jacobs/

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nerdrock posted:

salute. That brewery's 10 minutes from my house, and I probably know a good bit of the team that produced that treat for you.
Go tell them they're awesome and one of my favorite breweries, especially for their dessert stouts (Mokah. :swoon:)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Having 3-12 months worth of expenses stashed away is a good idea regardless.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Methanar posted:

I blocked my boss's number so he tried emailing me instead.

gently caress off. Now I'm seriously forwarding all these messages to his boss and making sure he's aware that the incumbent IT guy is incompetent.
Was this the guy who refused to give you a good reference because he didn't know what the technical stuff meant so he just ignored your achievements there ?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So what virtualisation platform are people looking to migrate to? :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:psyduck: That can't be even remotely legal.

edit: What are they going to do if someone refuses? Fire them? :v:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 20, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I don't really have a problem with this.

The bank's severance deal includes a "continuing cooperation" clause for a period of two years, where the employee agrees to "make myself reasonably available" to SunTrust "regarding matters in which I have been involved in the course of my employment with SunTrust and/or about which I have knowledge as a result of my employment at SunTrust."

I am reasonably available at an hourly rate of $250.
You missed this part.

This assistance can be by telephone or in-person meetings, and it may be provided without "additional consideration or compensation of any kind," the clause says.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I could accept a severance agreement like that if the severance payout was equal to at least two years' full pay and I could decide when and how I lend assistance.

I would also refuse to touch any system that I may have prior knowledge about but has since been hosed with by the new people.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NAT and PAT isn't really difficult. The router stores the original packet information in a lookup table in memory and rewrites the packets with another source/destination adress and/or source/destination port. When the reply packets come in it checks the lookup table and rewrites the packets again so they reach the original sender.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A Linux toilet would post your poo poo to github.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just hit delete on anything that is automated or irrelevant. Things that might come in handy later goes into an archive folder, and anything I need to follow up on remains in the inbox until I've followed up on it, then it goes into the archive folder too.

At the moment I have three emails in my inbox.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Archive poo poo every 6 months. Delete never. gently caress whoever manages our PST storage.
We have a group policy that completely disables creating or accessing PST files in Outlook. Everyone has 4GB of primary mailbox and 10GB of online archive, hard limits. If you hit that, tough poo poo, start deleting.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a coworker who does that.. "I'll set up an email alert when this job runs so if it fails we'll notice that the email doesn't arrive." Uh, no. You're not going to notice one email not arriving in the flood of 50 others every day.

captkirk posted:

Users ignoring e-mails sent out to the whole company (like outage announcements, or announcements to change passwords) and users storing an unnecessary about of poo poo in the trash. Isn't this the exact sort of poo poo we bitch about when users do it?
Difference is we store trash in the trash, not information. Our corporate sends out tons of crap to all employees every week. "inspirational words from our CEO", whatever bullshit the sales team has come up with this month, reminders to send in time reports etc.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For SMS notifications we just have an old nokia phone with a prepaid sim with free texts connected via serial cable to our nagios server. A nagios script then calls gnokii which sends a text message from the phone. Cheap and simple, and works if the internet connection goes down as well.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I think that's a hilarious/awesome solution.
I actually like it. We have a lot of awful solutions here, but that's not one of them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

People here asked if I wanted the credentials to throw slack/work email on my phone. First question from me was "Sure, the company will pay for my phone plan yes?"
My boss asked if I wanted an iphone so I could hace a work number and read work email out of office hours. I asked him how much I'd be compensated since my contract doesn't include regular on call.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I meant compensation as in extra pay for practically being on call.

I turned that offer down.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Taxi.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I want to build a remote control datacenter robot so I can replace failed hardware from my couch.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lilli posted:

So while in the course of studying for my Network+ and Security+ both have reinforced the idea that leaving unused ports open is a bad idea security wise, but neither have gone into specifics about the associated vulnerabilities.
I'm curious what kind of vulnerabilities arise from having ports open; I assume there's some difference based on the port, but there's likely some general issues too. Is there a good place I can go to read about what kind of vulnerabilities arise from having ports open and (if there are specific port issues) what are the ways to compensate for these when you need to leave specific ports open for legitimate services?
It's all about reducing the possible attack vectors. Basically don't have services running if you don't need them, then you don't ever have to worry about them having an unknown vulnerability or not. And the services that you do need should have their access filtered to the hosts that need to access them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't want it to wind up like the last place where they were so obsessed with the phone system that I was told if it went offline for even five seconds I would be terminated.
You put a block of C4 in the PBX when you left, right?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Contingency posted:

The shadier carriers will just rip off the sensors that trip and hope you don't notice.
When we shipped a couple of prebuilt racks to a remote office at a previous gig we put shock loggers inside the crate.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Someone shoot me, I just turned down an interview for a job that would pay twice what I'm making now because it would mean either an hour+ commute in stop and go traffic or living in Denver.
Buy a dirtbike, commute offroad. :black101:

Bonus, you'll have a dirtbike.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

:j: "I need this USB drive to work."
:) "USB drives aren't allowed."
:j: "A customer gave it to me."
:) "What... NO. Remove the drive and hand it back. It could have a virus."
:j: "I don't care, he says it has an important document."
:) "And this is why USB drives aren't allowed. Have a good day." *click*

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's amazing how much you can get done when you throw caution to the wind and just power poo poo through in production. Who needs testing anyway? :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Last time someone said "gently caress testing" at my work we lost 48k in revenue.
We've probably wasted at least twice that by dicking around and not getting this poo poo in place sooner.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd love to be a rack monkey and install hardware and route cables all day, but I doubt there's any place that will let me do that without taking a massive pay cut. :(

Unrelated, here's another "Oh you quit? Well we still expect you to work for us." story:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/30/sysadmins_former_boss_claims_five_years_free_support_or_off_to_court/

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 30, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Everything will be in the cloud so nobody will need IT people at all! :pseudo:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zapf Dingbat posted:

This was sent out by the owner over Thanksgiving. It's the end of a very, very long email about work ethic. I'm three months into this job and this pretty much ruined my weekend stressing out about it.
Sounds like someone's been reading too much into the wikipedia article on Scrip.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

luminalflux posted:

I'm so happy someone else does this where I work. Like not even "another department", our racks come pre-cabled from the integrator so our datacenter team only has to handle the cross-connects between them.
Maybe I'm just growing really tired of doing nothing but sitting in front of a monitor all day, but I find the chance to get up from my desk, go to one of our DCs and do some physical work is quite refreshing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I got a call from a recruiter today asking if I wanted to work as a camera developer for 60k a year in San Diego. When I told him that there's no way I would take that position for anything less than 120k due to the expense of living there and the nature of the work he asked me: "Are you married? Perhaps your wife can work as well!"
At a job I had in the early 2000s I came in as a junior sysadmin and was paid slightly more than the guy who was already there, who was ten years older, much more experienced and with a much higher education than me. A few months later he went to negotiate his salary and asked for a 15% raise. He got the response that they weren't willing to raise his salary that much, but maybe he could cut down on his expenses.

Needless to say he got out of there pretty soon afterwards. I did too after being there for maybe half a year because they were completely delusional about how much IT staff it takes to operate a 500+ person company. (Literal quote: "I know you get a lot of tickets, but can't you just stay an hour or two more each day to close them? No, you won't get paid overtime.")

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Make sure you've migrated any FSMO roles away from the servers you're demoting first.

edit: Read this. The article talks about 2003-2012 migration but the procedure applies any time you're demoting a DC.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 7, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MF_James posted:

Yeah FSMO roles are held by other DCs already.
All set to go then. Otherwise demoting a DC that holds FSMO roles usually ends in tears.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Copy lorem ipsum into each box.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Rape, murder, arson, and rape.

DigitalMocking posted:

You said rape twice...

ratbert90 posted:

I like rape.

DigitalMocking posted:

Sign right here.

Well now I know which movie I'm watching tonight.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why is your phone/email on when you're on vacation? Turn that poo poo off, make yourself unreachable.

e: Our sister company has the right idea. When people go on vacation their user accounts and door tags are blocked. Even if they would want to, they can't access their email or get into the building until their vacation is over.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Did that once and the powers that be went so far as to calling my emergency contacts to find me.

The correct answer in your position when someone calls you about a non-emergency is "gently caress off, I'm on vacation."