Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Accretionist posted:

What's the most 'Cave Troll / No Human Contact' area in all IT?

I used to think it was DBA until my last job.
Now I'm thinking it's probably rack-monkey for Rackspace/Amazon/whomever.
That's still my dream job. Get paid $35-50k to live in a data center and be called upon to move servers and occasionally push buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd love to be a rack monkey and install hardware and route cables all day, but I doubt there's any place that will let me do that without taking a massive pay cut. :(

Unrelated, here's another "Oh you quit? Well we still expect you to work for us." story:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/30/sysadmins_former_boss_claims_five_years_free_support_or_off_to_court/

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 30, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

I'd love to be a rack monkey and install hardware and route cables all day, but I doubt there's any place that will let me do that without taking a massive pay cut. :(

Unrelated, here's another "Oh you quit? Well we still expect you to work for us." stories:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/30/sysadmins_former_boss_claims_five_years_free_support_or_off_to_court/

Yeah, considering my current position, there's no way I'd be willing to take a pay cut and lose my pension to do that. I was thinking more along the lines of post-retirement job... but who knows what data centers will look like in 30 years.

Also, I can't wait for the pendulum to swing the other way and for employers to be punished for not being tech-conscious/considerate.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 30, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Everything will be in the cloud so nobody will need IT people at all! :pseudo:

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

This was sent out by the owner over Thanksgiving. It's the end of a very, very long email about work ethic. I'm three months into this job and this pretty much ruined my weekend stressing out about it.

The Boss posted:

Penalties – We are going to define with everyone's help a list of infractions that will cost cold hard cash. For example the following things are unacceptable, put unnecessary strain on others, cost our company significant time and money, and will be penalized:

Unexcused absence from work (half or full day) - $150 per half day
Missing a mandatory company meeting (either in person or remote) - $100
Missing a scheduled conference call or customer interaction - $50
Using fowl [sic] language in front of customers - $25
Lying to another employee, shareholder or customer - $50

Rewards – [Company Name] points will be given as rewards. [Company Name] points can be given to any employee at any time by any member of the management team, or by any two employees who commonly agree the points are warranted. Any employee can receive up to 10 [Company Name] points per day. [Company Name] points can be used and traded in for cash or can be used to purchase performance units. This will be our feel good currency and we should nominate each other as much as possible for these points. We will also be setting up some static ways to earn points as well, like hitting certain goals.

Performance Units – All employees as a part of their standard benefits will be given and also be able to acquire Performance Units. The entire number of performance units will equal 10% of an equity share in [Company Name]. Performance units will be very valuable to you and your family in the event this company is sold, merges with another company, you retire or you become disabled. Performance units may also be paid out in other ways as well.

There's not a lot of structure and zero paperwork in this company, and I only see this ending up as a clusterfuck.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the gently caress.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
That looks nice and illegal.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zapf Dingbat posted:

This was sent out by the owner over Thanksgiving. It's the end of a very, very long email about work ethic. I'm three months into this job and this pretty much ruined my weekend stressing out about it.
Sounds like someone's been reading too much into the wikipedia article on Scrip.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zapf Dingbat posted:

There's not a lot of structure and zero paperwork in this company, and I only see this ending up as a clusterfuck.

Dear employees;

PLEASE SUE ME, I DON'T WANT MY MONEY OR MY COMPANY.

sincerely
Boss

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Someone learned management from running a wow guild. Minus 50 dkp! Too bad they don't realize punitive actions towards adults tend to cause a lot of bad will.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm going to guess that the actual outcome is that things get a lot worse.

On the plus side, for the low price of $25, you get to use filthy language in front of a customer.

I'd be looking for a new job because your company is probably on a bad track. We talk poo poo about leadership a lot but if the owner is putting all of his energy into this insanity, he's not going to be taking care of other responsibilities.

My guess is that there's something really bad happening with the finances or something, he doesn't know how to fix it, and has decided that lazy employees are the problem.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Yeah I'm wondering if I should look into the legality of the whole thing.

This is my first IT job and I'm going to stick it out for a year total because of the experience and paying for certs and whatnot, but yeah it's bonkers here.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Yeah I'm wondering if I should look into the legality of the whole thing.

I doubt it will actually go into effect. If it does, keep records of any penalties levied against you and then contact a lawyer.

You could contact a lawyer first, but it might be a waste of time and money if someone slaps some sense into the owner.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

If you are in the US none of that is legal. Fines and other employee deductions in pay are very serious and are protected by federal law.

An email like this should be your hint to leave. If you are "fined" be sure to contact a lawyer because you will be guaranteed not only to get your money back, but also punitive money that could be pretty substantial.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If swearing at a customer only cost $25 I would've done it alot more often.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

but also punitive money that could be pretty substantial.

Pop culture may be saying it's "All about that bass", but when it comes to damages, "It's all about that treble."

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Best case scenario is you get fined by the company and get to sue them into oblivion, worst case scenario they drop the whole idea because it is retarded.

Either way you win.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sheep posted:

Best case scenario is you get fined by the company and get to sue them into oblivion, worst case scenario they drop the whole idea because it is retarded.

Either way you win.

In either case, keep your cards close to your chest. Just roll with it. I assume that even if you sign paperwork agreeing to this ridiculous plan it'll be be unenforceable.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hahahaha holy poo poo that's the worst thing I've ever seen. Also he doesn't actually say what performance units do/are, just that they exist and are totally good for you.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It explains a lot that the owner of the company feels that attending a meeting is more important than being nice to customers.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Don't bother with lawyers, man. You gotta take care of this one from the inside. Just get two other people and circlejerk points between the three of you until you have enough equity to fire that idiot.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm so happy someone else does this where I work. Like not even "another department", our racks come pre-cabled from the integrator so our datacenter team only has to handle the cross-connects between them.

Edit: degreechat

No degree, couple years of college that I dropped out of. Thankfully I apparently have other skills and managed to get a software dev job that I parlayed into another job where I learned to devops and now I'm in the bay area.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 30, 2015

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Kashuno posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo that's the worst thing I've ever seen. Also he doesn't actually say what performance units do/are, just that they exist and are totally good for you.

It's stock in equity that gets diluted every time someone else does something good.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Roargasm posted:

It's stock in equity that gets diluted every time someone else does something good.

I kinda had an inkling of that, but the way you phrased it is perfect.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

luminalflux posted:

I'm so happy someone else does this where I work. Like not even "another department", our racks come pre-cabled from the integrator so our datacenter team only has to handle the cross-connects between them.
Maybe I'm just growing really tired of doing nothing but sitting in front of a monitor all day, but I find the chance to get up from my desk, go to one of our DCs and do some physical work is quite refreshing.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Roargasm posted:

Oh wow, the implications.

We're having our weekly meeting on Wednesday, so maybe we'll get some clarification on this craziness. He's shooting from the hip all the time, although never to this degree. Y'all are right, it may not stick, especially after some people tell him how dumb it is and why didn't you talk to someone else about it after sending some weird emotional email.

He ended the email talking about Christian values. Did I mention we're in the South? Our state probably has the least worker/employee protections in the country, so this is probably legal knowing us.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Maybe I'm just growing really tired of doing nothing but sitting in front of a monitor all day, but I find the chance to get up from my desk, go to one of our DCs and do some physical work is quite refreshing.

I actually enjoy racking stuff as long as I'm not doing it alone (or at least without equipment to hold up the stuff while I mount it to the rack) and I have proper length cables etc.

EDIT: And as long as I have an actual maintenance window. A client at my old job has a gigabit switch sitting in their rack with nothing but power running to it because the "window" was only long enough for me to get the thing physically mounted (which involved unplugging almost everything from the old switch because it was such a mess.)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Oh wow, the implications.

We're having our weekly meeting on Wednesday, so maybe we'll get some clarification on this craziness. He's shooting from the hip all the time, although never to this degree. Y'all are right, it may not stick, especially after some people tell him how dumb it is and why didn't you talk to someone else about it after sending some weird emotional email.

He ended the email talking about Christian values. Did I mention we're in the South? Our state probably has the least worker/employee protections in the country, so this is probably legal knowing us.

It is federal, so no, you are protected.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Roargasm posted:

:laffo:

Zapf Dingbat posted:

He ended the email talking about Christian values.

Is that even legal? I thought most places were pretty strict on no religion chat

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Is that even legal? I thought most places were pretty strict on no religion chat
Uh, what. No you can be religious at work all you want, you just can't fire people that aren't also <religion> based on that.

Look at Hobby Lobby, Christian Brothers, etc.

*Speaking as someone in the US.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was always told that a person in power pushing their religion on others like that is a big no-no.

Idk I'm not religious and have no idea about this stuff.

although your examples make it clear I'm not really thinking that through.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You'd have to talk to a lawyer to be sure. Maybe if you can argue that the religious stuff is so involved that you're facing religious discrimination you could make a case, but you'd probably need something like work meetings being held at church or getting marked off on your review for not attending service on Sunday.

Again, only a lawyer in your state is going to have good answers for you. There's a legal thread on the forums somewhere, if you ask, you might get a tiny bit of guidance along with the recommendation to talk to a lawyer.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Nah, the religion thing is the least of my worries. It's never been an issue.

We're an ISP and VOIP provider with less than 20 employees servicing way more people than we can handle. That's what I'm worried about.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sheep posted:

In my opinion IT is mostly a trade, much like plumbing. And similar to plumbing, I hire my plumbers based on whether they have the necessary credentials (not an unrelated 4-year degree), skills, and experience to do the job. The last thing I want to do is pay one plumber more than the other because he can wax philosophical about the impact of the Øresundstolden on post-liberation Sweden or what the hell ever and thus feels like he deserves more than the other guy with the exact same skill set. If he can't "demonstrate commitment to long term projects" or whatever a 4 year degree is supposed to represent then I'll just fire him and hire someone who can :911:

In IT a 4-year degree is useful for getting past silly HR hurdles and not a terrible lot more unless you did something computer-related or maths-y.

Edit: I have three (soon to be four!) degrees, so it's not like I'm raging against degree-havers or anything here.

I'm with you here. I've been a hiring manager in IT for most of the last 20 years of my career and a degree has never mattered unless its something directly related to the job.

TBH, most of my hiring hasn't been able what they're talking about here in the thread, about getting your foot in the door at tier 1, so a degree will help you get past HR roadblocks.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Everything listed there is 100% illegal.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Kashuno posted:

I was always told that a person in power pushing their religion on others like that is a big no-no.

Idk I'm not religious and have no idea about this stuff.

although your examples make it clear I'm not really thinking that through.

You can be as preachy as you want. When you start making HR decisions like hiring/firing/raises/bonuses based on how many Hail Mary's a given employee does, that's when you get into sue-pants-off territory.

Of course, being America and thus at-will (it's 48/50 states okay, I'm comfortable just making the generalization), dude can probably get away with firing someone for not being Christian enough as long as his documented reasons are the standard nebulous bullshit or no reason at all. Difficult to fight if the employee doesn't have anything damning in writing, and often too expensive to fight even if they do. :911:

Monetary penalties for prohibited behavior, on the other hand, laughably illegal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Welcome to IT where the work hours are made up and the points don't matter!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
So if I team up with two other guys, we can circle jerk our way to Company Points, which we redeem for cash, and then spend that cash blowing off meetings and swearing at customers?

gently caress yeah sign me up

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Welcome to IT where the work hours are made up and the points don't matter!

That poo poo is nothing to do with IT, it has to do with being loving insane and illegal as all poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would not want to work there.
If you call him out on it, he's going to not like you and from the sound of how he runs things make your life a living hell. If you let it go, that's some hosed up poo poo right there.