Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Don't think that poo poo is unique to MSPs for a second. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

I left a job cause of a lovely commute, taking a pay cut in the process and now I deeply regret it. I've been at this small MSP for 6 months now, 3 of the 5 man team I'm on have been here over 10 years and it's clear they all checked out a while ago. I have to log my 8 hrs in a timecard every day wether it's billable hours or no. It fuckin sucks. gently caress.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

CloFan posted:

80% of my server infra was installed over a decade ago, and virtualization is a foreign concept here. We don't have a huge workload, so I'm looking at Hyperconvergence..

Have any of you ever used Scale Computing? https://www.scalecomputing.com/ I met them at a conference last year and was real impressed by their product and all their customers that I spoke with had nothing but good things to say.

It works... But you have to go through Scale for everything. Thought it was pretty expensive for what they were offering.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

After a decade in IT I've realized I haven't really worked with many minorities at all but have experienced a whole bunch of casual racism, particular pertaining to call center locale.

That kind of seminar or training would probably be pretty useful for me as someone who probably doesn't quite understand the barriers for entry people who aren't young while men typically face. That is of course assuming it's not a heavy handed box checking exercise.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

To prevent shadow IT

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

As a British expat, I could give 2 shits about tax not being included on price tags when my income doubled overnight moving here.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

My org is transitioning from Win 7 to 10 and I'm setting up new machines. My goal is just to be able to unplug their old machine, drop in the new, and basically be done so I have a powershell script to grab their current profile, pst, and bookmarks. But without their login info I can't just throw their info into a c:\users\johndoe folder, it has to be created by Windows first or after their initial login to the machine their profile will actually be in c:\users\johndoe.workdomain

Is there a way around this without asking every user for their login / pw?

Sounds like you're reinventing USMT? How many users are we talking about.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Retirement level payout inbound!

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

deedee megadoodoo posted:

If you set Do Not Disturb in slack it pauses all notifications. You'll still get the messages but it won't alert you. The entire point of chat is that the conversation doesn't have to be real-time.

On desktop it gives the option to notify the snoozed user anyway.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

I love WFH, I started a new job in March 2020, went to the office for a week then was told to WFH until told otherwise, some of my team have been WFH forever so I guess this will just continue.

What I don't like is job ads claiming WFH until "covid is over" what does that even mean!! Is there going to be a mission accomplished moment where everyone decides to head back to the office?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

GreenNight posted:

We still use the entire Solarwinds suite and we're not moving.

Same :hfive:

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

I loving hate RDP jumpboxes. It is TYOOL 2021, there are better solutions for getting from Domain A --> Domain G that doesn't involve jumping through 5 RDP portals.

I loving love RDP jumpboxes, my lovely connection craps out all day and I rarely lose whatever I'm working on :smuggo:

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

My new job sent me a HP z book cause Lenovo had huge lead times apparently, it has RGB backlighting lol

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Why is it everywhere I've worked is absolutely terrified of patching, it should not take 3 weeks of "testing" to deploy windows updates!

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Sickening posted:

I can't think of anything more useless than a dashboard.

The idiot watching it.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

App13 posted:

What’s the IT sector like in Canada compared to the states? I live and work in New England right now, but I’m a Canadian citizen and always viewed that as a backup plan

There's work but the salaries are gonna be lower than the US, generally.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

One job let me choose $500 in gift cards, another Gave me $50 in lottery scratchers.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

My team were sending a particular customer passwords via encrypted email in o365, they're now complaining this isn't ISO 27001 compliant and we should be calling them on the phone to share passwords. :stare:

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

I get $25/day to be on call, but if they actually call me it's double my hourly with a 2hr minimum.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

Someone give me good arguments for not merging the it office and the SO server room beyond "it's loud and hot in a server room" because I think my boss's boss is trying to gently caress us over with only one room

The only positive is that server room doors typically have access control and no windows.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Big "Why would I use powershell when I can create AD accounts through the GUI" energy ITT :corsair:

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

evobatman posted:

I just spent two hours writing a change request where I will have to work five hours of overtime on Monday in order to do four minutes of patching.

It took me just over 2 years to get a regular patching window i could patch in as BAU activity and not have to seek approval each month. I feel ya pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

I use these while mowing my lawn, great investment!