Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Woohoo! Got a second interview at a place less than a mile from my house. $10K pay raise, more leave, and work from home twice a week. God I hope I get this. Between the stupid job title change, sharepoint shenanigans, and petty schedule changes I'm dying to get out of my current gig.

Congrats!

So I've got my first project ever as a sysadmin. We're going to be going towards VmWare Mirage to manage our clients. Has anyone here ever worked with it? I'm waiting for management to decide whether we're going with scaled down laptop-kiosks, full on laptops, VMware View, etc., but I want to do this right and I have no practical experience with Mirage so I'd like to figure out some of the more practical issues that come from deploying it before I actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

The hell?

Granted, Seattle isn't cheap but that sounds like you landed in a good shop.

Yeah... my first IT job was $11/hr and I thought that was good pay at the time.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So, I got fired for the first time. I thought the job was going well. It was my first 'sysadmin' job. I made some mistakes but owned up to them, and fixed them, but I guess it wasn't sufficient. This is an awful feeling.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

ZetsurinPower posted:

That sucks .What happened? Did they give some specific reasons? Did they have you on any kind of probation or performance improvement plan?

Well, the two incidents they mentioned were:

1. Apparently I screwed up something in the sharepoint system. I was trying to help one of the service desk folks get something set up and did some research which made it sound like some credentials were a problem. So, I fiddled with that some and kept an eye on it to see if anything broke, which it didn't appear to. A week later they came to me and said that I screwed it up and it was down because of that.

2. We were implementing a managed endpoint encryption service which was not yet in production. I was working on getting it set up to auto push out the agent to new machines and needed to install an update. Tried to install the update, got a weird error message. Worked on that and brought it down for about an hour.

No probation or anything. Was only there for about 5 months so I guess that was the probation or something. Yeah, I realize I got too enthusiastic and tried to tone it down, but beyond that I thought I was doing well.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Maybe. I dunno. They kinda tossed me in the deep end. I was told to get a VMware Mirage system set up when I started, and it was slow going since it's not a particularly commonly used system from what I can tell and documentation is pretty sparse. I finally got it stood up and working (Mostly) then they get rid of me. Mind you, this was a junior position, and I told them I didn't have a huge amount of experience. Government agency, too, so I don't know.

Anyways, thanks for listening. I've never been fired before so this is particularly difficult, and it's the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to my mental health issues so being able to air it does help. Yeah, I know, internet comedy forum, but still.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So how should I explain this to interviewers?

high six
Feb 6, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

There is no loving way you were fired over that. What else happened?

As far as I am aware, that's all that happened. Maybe they didn't tell me something. Dunno, guess it doesn't matter now.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I genuinely don't believe you, sorry. Those aren't fireable things. Did you get along with everyone? Ever have personality clashes? Do anything sketchy or in a way that might piss off your bosses/managers?

That's cool, don't have to believe me. As far as I know, everyone liked me. The guy who fired me was the CIO and I didn't interact with him all that much. I'm also pretty bad at reading social cues so maybe I rubbed some people the wrong way.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So, thanks everyone. I am gonna take a week or two off to get my head screwed on right and then start to look for stuff. Mental health needs to come first.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Well, Mirage has a crapload of good documentation out there, but it's fairly complex. I was in charge of rolling it out where I work, and we absolutely paid VMWare to come in and do training and work the initial rollout. Throwing something as complex as Mirage, which has a fair amount of not-entirely-obvious pitfalls if you're rolling it out with no prior experience at a very junior admin is absolutely a case of poor decision making.

Sounds like you got out of a lovely job. Getting fired sucks, but based just on what you said, that place was a shitshow.

Sort of good documentation. The VMWare docs are alright, but I encountered a bunch of issues where the documentation would refer to something and then not tell you how to do it, like moving app/base layers to different volumes. But yeah, I have VMware experience but it was all with working with virtual machines in Vsphere and whatnot. Got thrown into it and was doing it all by myself for the most part the first week I was there. But yeah, crazy weird problems - had some endpoints that would sometimes hang indefinitely on the Windows logo screen but not log any problems, turned out to be one driver that Mirage didn't like or something. Was also doing all this while doing the T3 stuff and learning the system, soooo, yeah, in retrospect I think I was set up to fail. Especially since this was my first non-helpdesk job.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So about a month ago, I got fired and was all distraught and posted here. But yay, new job. It's a decent pay cut (55k before, 23/hr for the first six months at the new place) but it's specifically focusing on networking in the NOC for a big healthcare company nearby, which is what I'd like to specialize in, instead of a jack-of-all-trades sorta role. Hopefully it will be worth it for the career growth to take that hit now.

Yaaay.

:yotj:

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Anyone here worked in Microsoft's enterprise support area? I'm bored as balls at my current job and got a poke from one of their recruiters. Going in for an interview tomorrow and just wanted to get some unbiased ideas about what it's like to work there, if possible. Sounds too good to be true: possibly a weird shift (Which I love, as commuting around the city is a pain during rush hour) and a considerable raise (supposedly) from what I'm making now, and even though it's with a team that I know very little about, they said they were willing to train people (Which is something I've heard before so somewhat hesitant.)

Also interviewing sucks. I'm glad it sucks as much on the interviewer side as on the interviewee.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
:yotj: Got a job offer for a big big raise and I can get out of this sinking shitheap of a job I am currently stuck in. Working with Azure related stuff of which I only have basic knowledge but they promised to train me so hopefully that wasn't a lie.

A few months back the board brought in some fancy new executive. First thing she did was fire the CIO and replace him with one of her friends. Now the layoffs have started. I've kind of been checked out for a year because I've automated pretty much everything I do and stupid office politics have stymied any of my efforts to improve the place. Final straw was discovering that a new site was put in without anyone being notified, six months after a big manager meeting where it was said that they are going to crack down on this bullshit, and no one has faced any consequences. The only reason I found out about the site was when I started getting tickets about said site being down.

high six fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 23, 2018

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Quick sanity check: we have a Florida branch office. They have their only file server that has very little maintained on it, and most of what they do now is either cloud based via SharePoint or Teams, in a network drive in Boston, or based inside of our ERP which is in Boston anyway. Rather than having this office have it’s own physical infrastructure and servers I’m considering moving their small amount of files to our Boston office or even something cloud based (azure or AWS). Does that seem reasonable?

Azure Files is pretty nice imho. Basically just can mount it as a network drive.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I'm trying to migrate some of what we can to Azure as well. I know normally you don't migrate to the cloud to save money, but being able to remove all my infrastructure from a hurricane zone seems like it may save some money also?

Might want to look into Azure Site Recovery if you want to move entire VMs up to Azure. As long as you're careful and set it up correctly (Follow the documentation) it works pretty well. Can use it to either migrate entirely to Azure or set up DR so if Florida gets hit by a megastorm, can just run it in Azure temporarily until your offices aren't flooded anymore.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

What about those of you with a BA in a non tech field? I did a political science degree and it's certainly taught me useful analytical and communication skills, but I've only been in this industry two years and am just getting my first direct report in January, so I can't really say how it has or hasn't affected my career just yet!

I've been in IT about four years now. I've got a B.Sc in Public History (IE: museums), and did a few years of graduate school. I think having the degree has been useful insofar as it ticks off an HR checkbox. I haven't really felt held back and I don't think any of my colleagues with STEM degrees learned anything I haven't learned by reading books and doing some certifications. On the other hand, I'm a much stronger writer than many of them and consistently seem to get my way because I'm really good at constructing arguments to convince people.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh man I wish I could attend work meetings in MMOs

I had an interview for a remote job with a company that had a MMO-like Unity program, third person, for their "virtual office." Neat concept, but didn't get the job so I don't know how well it worked in practicality.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

It’s not just me that thinks there’s some ulterior motive going on whenever someone uses “this is affecting my productivity” in a support case, is it?

I do application support for third-party/outside my company folks.

EVERYTHING is severity 1, urgent, and affecting production. Mainly people just do it to jump the queue because 99% of these urgent, severity 1 cases I get are not urgent at all.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Jokes on them. If everything is urgent than nothing is urgent and I'm more likely to see the the properly classified "Severity 3" cases that stand out among the sea of idiots.

Yes. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to change the severity in most cases without the customer's consent. A lot of our customers have no skills, technological or otherwise, beyond opening high severity cases and bitching at the people (like me) who have to fix it.

Basically now I just work on cases in the order of folks who are decent to work with, descending.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

I posted in the DevOps thread but wanted to get more opinions. I'm wanting to get into DevOps as I enjoy a lot of what the whole culture is around automation and all. The biggest question is, where do I start? I figure I need to know something like teraform or ansible but I assume just learning that isn't going to get me in the door by itself.

I'm kind of in the same boat. In doing some interviews (And not getting the jobs) before everything went to hell, it seems a lot about having demonstrable experience with specific tools: Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, containers, etc. That's my impression on why I was getting nowhere, at least. Do you do any programming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

What, exactly, is "IT Operations?" I was looking at a job description for it, and it seems like something that's kinda-sorta in my bailiwick, but I'm not actually sure. I run our automation engine, and have "Operations" in my title.

Generally like a Systems admin or something.