Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've bitched a lot about our IT department, but the one thing they've managed to implement reasonably well is SNOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cimber posted:

Can I bitch about using Microsoft teams?

Actually, scratch that, I'm going to bitch about being forced to use Microsoft Teams if you like it or not.

MS teams sucks, I hate the fact that it has to 'ding' every time someone messages me, and that I can't simply turn off dings for existing chats and have it on only for newly created chats. I hate

when
people
message me
like this
and every

loving millennials.

:laffo:

I've been guilty of doing this at times.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Engineering requires seeing the big picture which means deflecting from doing any work, citing the business process.

As I become more involved in "big picture stuff"... I do less actual work. Sigh.

I need a new job title and a (solid) raise.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

I felt really bad about this aspect for a few months when I started my current role, but you actually shouldn't feel bad about being blocked by other people 80% of the time. It's someone else's problem to fix

This is mostly a gripe about being involved in stuff a few levels above my official pay grade but without a change in title/pay grade.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eh, we'll have a discussion about this during my next performance eval (scheduled a few weeks after Easter) and I suspect my manager already wants to change my title to more accurately reflect what I do day to day.

We're still at least a year out from finishing the new OT network, a project I "own", and I want to see it through. It'll also look really good on my resume :sun:

If things haven't changed materially by then, it will be time to move on.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CloFan posted:

Counterpoint: my org uses the desk phone and on prem pbx all day, every day.

Mine too :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My responsibility for VoIP stops at the switch port the drat things are plugged into. Thank gently caress.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I kept a printed out resignation in my desk drawer for like 2 years after my old company got acquired, only needed a date and signature. Management knew about it, too :v:

Looking back, my only regret is that I didn't bounce from $shitjob earlier than I did.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mllaneza posted:

The networking situation is sub-optimal, everything is on the general corporate network.

Yikes!

How are you microsegmenting it?

We have 2000+ OT devices across 100+ sites in a metro area and went with SPB and layer 2 e-tree for the stuff we absolutely need to lock down, but can't easily renumber.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Proxmox and XCP-ng are the two main alternatives, there are pros and cons for both...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MF_James posted:

Yeah this is basically every conference at the moment, went to a little lovely security conference and literally every talk was about AI except the one by security fanatics or whatever they are.

They gave airtime to the security people? That seems like a mistake. The AI will secure things, for sure! /s

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

The reason we ended up supplying Meraki switches is because it proved impossible to get our techs to understand BPDU guard, STP, other things that you might want to use to protect a network, they could just about turn up and plug things in so that's all they have to do now.

At least if they do something wrong now or need help I can remain firmly sat on my rear end and do it all in the dashboard.

We're migrating to Extreme (using Fabric Connect), and our techs are still struggling a bit with the (near total) topology freedom we get with Shortest Path Bridging :haw:

I had to tell them today - "just plug it in, you CANNOT gently caress anything up" when they were reconnecting an IT switch that was forgotten about in the remodel at our location. We haven't even found the APs yet, so that'll be fun...

Got a mail an hour later with "YAY IT WORKS" so the cafeteria has internet for their PoS poo poo in time for the reopening on Monday :eng101:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

That's an impossible task to complete to that schedule and nobody should feel bad for not completing it

So much this. Hopefully leadership understands...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Does anyone here use IPAM? Ive asked around and having trouble finding anyone who does!

We do. Invaluable tool for troubleshooting and network/subnet planning.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Agreed for sure. I feel like a major difference between a more junior engineer and a more senior engineer is learning when to say "no, this is a bad idea, let's talk about alternative approaches" instead of just rolling up your sleeves.

I had one of those moments last night, for a life critical system that we were trying to upgrade networking for. We executed the rollback with an hour to spare until the deadline, so we spent another 20 minutes trying to do some testing to narrow down the problem*.

*loving supplier lied to us about how their poo poo is set up, so this will mostly likely be annoying to deal with...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just call it DevOops.

Or when I stand up a mumble instance + owncast while drunk because discord ate poo poo: DrunkOps :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gucci Loafers posted:

Executive and C-Level positions have always been based out of headquarters locations. In the case of Walmart, they are closing their "tech incubators" in places like Dallas and telling everyone to move to Bentonville, Arkansas. :barf:

:wtc:

That's cruel and unusual punishment :v: