Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Thanatosian posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppp. Turnover comes in bursts for a reason.

Not IT but we're feeling it as well. Lost something like 8 people when they handed out wholesale demotions cause of a new contract. Instead of giving anyone their old pay rate back they're instituting mandatory OT to make up for the lost production. I maybe foresee us losing more people and nothing getting better.

I'm holding out hope that things in the world of IT will be better but I'm seeing that the grass isn't always greener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We recently got 2 days a week of WFH. We also do a 4 10s schedule. Once you've tasted that 4 day workweek life it's loving hard to imagine going back to 5 days a week

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Hughmoris posted:

For those doing clearance-needed work, what's the reality clearances have on job prospects?

I'm looking at a role where the company would be willing to sponsor a Top Secret clearance but the job (data) might be a bit of a slog. I'm willing to put in the work if a clearance is a golden ticket to better roles down the road. Ideally, I'd pair it with an AWS associate-level cert in a year and break into cloud work.

I have a secret clearance and there are some jobs that won't even consider you unless you already have a clearance in hand, so yes it will help to open a few doors. Couldn't tell you how great of a job they are though.

Also there's many people with clearances doing remote work. When I worked at Hill AFB pretty much half the base got to start working from home in 2020

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I guess the computers one of our departments ordered showed up today. Haven't seen them yet but I have the specs for them and at $4400 a pop they look pretty nice. 128GB RAM, 14 core i9 3.3 GHz, RTX 3080, but seemingly only one 500GB SSD. Seems a little silly since the 10 GT76 titans they ordered had 4TB of storage

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

cage-free egghead posted:

I just started a Python class at WGU that they just changed from Udacity to Zybooks and it's pretty intense. I read that the 100 Days of Coding challenge and Automate the Boring Stuff are good resources. I'm only on day 3 of the challenge but I'm actually really enjoying it. It feels like a really complicated math problem but instead of finding the answer you build a solution to do it for you. Super satisfying to figure out problems.

Is this for Cloud Computing at WGU? I'm in the same program at 59% and it looks like python might be in my next term. I remember struggling with it in a tech class I took a couple years ago but I feel like the class wasn't designed very well. It was more just figure it out and seemed to expect people to already know how to code. Hoping things are structured better.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My old job was not IT related but we did have one piece of equipment that came in every 6 months that used Nixie tubes for the display. No idea how old it was but it was loving cool. Pretty sure I snagged a picture at some point

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'm also DoD and it's required for most of our positions. We have a couple admin people who tried taking Sec+ and they just couldn't pass it. Instead of letting them go they changed the requirement so their position didn't need it or something. Probably real shady but whatever, getting people to show up where I work is hard enough

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Defenestrategy posted:

Probably not that shady, not having a level 2 cert disqualifies you from basically doing IAM and installing infrastructure. Level 1 [A+/Net+] allows you to do pretty much everything else helpdesk/sys admins would be doing.

Yup it's real shady then

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We have like 5 of those Apple trash can looking things. They've never been on the network so I don't know what their purpose was

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

tortilla_chip posted:

quote:

Agrikk posted:

Brundage?

Sun Valley

I prefer going there in the summer, but that's just me

I've been working on school stuff while WFH this week. We got a 2% raise this year which isn't great and I'm a week away from hitting one year of help desk. The only reason I'm not proactive about getting out is that I really really don't want to go back to a 5 day workweek. I plan on making full use of endless three day weekends by getting outside as much as possible in the summer

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We have an audit next week and it's been nothing but vulnerabilities all day. Also McAfee sucks

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I had to pee in a cup many times. It was active duty military, so slightly different setting. And then at one point I was the guy watching people pee into a cup. The perks of ranking up...

Current events in other countries have caused a bit of a response from people way above us and now we've been in full on crush vulnerabilities mode for the last two days

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

There are two types of people doing this poo poo job in the military. Folks who said they watch people pee into cups but don't (because who gives a gently caress, gross) or people who actually want to look at you pee in a cup with their two eyeballs.

Which were you?

I saw enough dicks in basic training to not want to see anymore. Standing nearby but gazing at the beige bathroom walls was my preferred choice, but also that was only a one week stint. My regular job was more or less making sure 10 volts was 10 volts ± 20 μvolts

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Hughmoris posted:

ClearanceJobs is a central job board for government work requiring security clearances. I've been watching the number of job postings in the UK and Europe start rapidly increasing over the past few weeks.

Does anyone know of any forums or subreddits for DoD IT? I have a few questions on how the overseas stuff works but it's hard to find info.

We do have the federal government jobs thread in BFC. It's not IT specific but it'll probably be a good resource

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

He's dead now, so I can tell the story.

A long rear end loving time ago I worked with a guy (a goon who introduced me to SA an Photoshop Phriday back when that was a thing) who put all his slurpee cups in the drop ceiling where we worked. He left an ounce or two in each cup.

I ended up getting hired by the company who owned the building we worked in, and years later the property manager asked which of us was hiding slurpee cups in the ceiling. I had basically forgotten about it by then.

It turned out there was this mystery red goo that would drop from the ceiling from time to time. After a couple weeks they figured out where it was coming from, and all the slurpee cups had leaked and there was this thin layer of concentrated melted slurpee all over a good portion of the ceiling tiles. It would randomly leak through and get on stuff throughout the office and the tenant was pissed.

That's one devious long con.

I worked with a guy who got poached by the government and gave same day notice he was quitting. No one gave him crap for it cause corporate had screwed him (as well as plenty of others). It was funny seeing him on Monday since they worked in the same building as us

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

Mornings can gently caress itself. Dark, light, it sucks either way. I don't need light when going to work.

I kinda like the light in the mornings, specifically because it makes it easier to see the cows that have escaped their pens on the way to work. Or the wild horses. Or the pronghorns. Or the deer. I think there's a buffalo pasture as well I need to watch out for.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

ASAPRockySituation posted:

I’m helpdesk without a degree so I’m screwed for at least a little while

Same but in Utah.

I went from a career field where I had 10 years experience and knew tons of stuff to IT where I didn't know a whole lot and it's been tough dealing with the fact that I just don't know the solutions to all the crazy poo poo that keeps breaking day in and out. Also doesn't help that I think we're technically tier 2/3, like the most recent job posting for our job wanted someone to have 5 years experience. Feels like my wheels are spinning here in the desert salt flats

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Vice President posted:

the helpdesk who has to deal with customers bitching about how lovely their Access thing works ever cares about it.

Literally me yesterday. Spent 1.5 hours fixing the forms wizard and all other wizards for someone in Access.

Also all our macros in excel were disabled base wide cause of group policy. That was another fun one

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Dandywalken posted:

looking at fulltime positions for T1 helpdesk. So many want a bachelors degree. Its amazing how out of touch they are :psyduck:

or is it me who is out of touch?

Our help desk position lists 5 years experience and a secret clearance but the reality is it's so remote they'll take anyone who passes Sec+ (and at one point they even took a guy who didn't). Pretty much any position I look at will take experience in lieu of a bachelor's degree, and in some cases certs count for experience

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
At 25 I was calibrating stuff and things for the Air Force and because I was one of the few people who studied for a promotion test I was suddenly running my own section

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

App13 posted:

Lol just completed my Cyber Security awareness training for the new gig and it was presented by Kevin goddamn Mitnick and one of the voice actors from Rick and Morty. My Fed training was presented by like, uncanny valley puppet golems

Private sector is wiiiild

I've had to do one every year for the last 12 years for the DoD and I don't think I've ever gone through it with the volume on. The traditional method for passing those has been on mute and clicking through as fast as possible, then googling any quiz questions that pop up

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

CommanderApaul posted:

So my company didn't get awarded the new contract with they agency, so I'm again in that lovely "the work still needs done and they can't bring in 400 people fresh off the street to do it" 3-5 month transition period where we all know we're still going to have jobs after this, but it's still stressful as gently caress.

Doesn't help that my wife 100% does not understand how this works. She seems to think that I, individually, have a contract with the agency, rather than working for a company that will not have a spot for me in 3-5 months, and that there aren't payroll/insurance/retirement implications for all of this.

I was in one of those at my last job. The same company did get awarded the contract, then they ratfucked us to the tune of a 20% paycut. We lost a lot of people that year.

The company I'm with now decided they didn't want to hire anyone because they don't know if they'll get awarded the next contract which would go into effect a year from now. So we'll be shorthanded seemingly indefinitely.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

xsf421 posted:

:yotj:

Moving from a giant mortgage company (:chloe:) to a F100, "Devops Engineer II". Only a 10% raise, but great benefits and a 4 day work week. And of course, not working for a mortgage company in 2022.

Welcome to the land of infinite three day weekends, with the occasional 4 day thrown in for holidays. It's been 18 months and I've accumulated 150 hours of time off cause I hardly feel like I need to take any time off.

We do bulk buys once a year and we're still waiting for some stuff from last year. Recently the army decided that everyone should upgrade to Windows 11 by the end of the year. A couple scans later and we realized about 70% of the computers on base aren't compatible with Windows 11. We're waiting to see how this plays out

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I only go in twice a week but it's 103 miles one way so that sucks. At this point I'd be fine with working in an office more often if it meant a pay raise and getting out of help desk. Studying for the CCNA so hopefully that gets me into something better

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah pretty much. We see maybe three to five a day in our queue system and onsite we'll get six to eight phone calls a day. That's maybe thirteen tickets worth split between six people and we're supposed to hit around 100 tickets a month so we're sitting there writing things up for everything we did in the month. They don't expect novels in our writeups but the quantity is time consuming

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Vargatron posted:

Speaking of tickets, I am the sole IT person for a department with a user base of 650+ people and I've entered 67 tickets in since May 12th. I'm desperately trying to either get somebody else hired or jumping ship ASAP. I can't handle this work volume alone and I'm slipping further and further behind every day.

We're not quite in so dire of a position, but corporate told us that since our contract would be ending in a year, the position that's been open for 6 months wasn't going to get filled until they knew for sure if they were going to win the contract for the next few years. I've already been applying elsewhere but it seems like getting out of help desk is just as hard as it was to get into.

You should be trying to leave, there's very few jobs worth that kind of stress and there's no way they're paying you what you're worth.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

App13 posted:

Because of my past life as a research scientist I now take care of all of the Data Integrity stuff/instrument computers. I’m writing SOPs, doing internal security and integrity audits, setting up secure client-server databases for the scientific instruments, etc. I’m also working very closely with the Metrology department and vendors on new instrument installs and updates.

I have 10+ years experience as a metrology tech and I'd love to be able to leverage that into something IT related. Helpdesk is alright but also kinda bleak

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe it's pure ethanol

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Boba Pearl posted:

This but giving interns access to E-mail.

The book this is based on got turned into a movie, it's on youtube right now, for free. Would I say it's the best one to start with or that it was a perfect adaptation? Well no, it's not perfect and it probably wouldn't make sense to start with that one but it's there and easily available. Alternatively people should watch Good Omens because that's a Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman collab and it's loving amazing. Not the same universe as Discworld but whatever, still amazing

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
What's people's opinion on someone who was in IT but left and later tries to go back? I'm looking at a position in another state in my old career field and they're offering relocation and a 20-25% pay bump. Right now I'm feeling stuck in help desk so I'm taking classes through WGU, hopefully getting a CCNA within a few months and BS within a year. Would people look at me jumping back and forth between career fields as a negative thing or would it just be whatever?

I don't really want to go back to calibrating but raises at my job are nonexistent and my gf and I aren't feeling like Utah is super great these days.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

meme posted:

I just got my first real job, doing first line service desk stuff, this thread and a few others have been helpful letting me know what to expect and what red flags to look out for. So thanks I guess.

Still not really clear what day to day is gonna look like aside from taking calls from clients and trying to fix them with Google / escalate them if too tricky. I guess that’s pretty much all it is. I just sort of suddenly had a moment of “wait, is this going to be really hard or do I have a handle on it”

Guess I’ll find out

You'll have days where you feel like you can solve any problem and days where you feel like you can't solve anything, just the nature of the job

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Got an interview in a few minutes, it'll probably get me out of help desk and hopefully out of Utah. It's not IT but whatever, I'll find my way back to IT eventually

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Someone here wrote a program that was supposed to let people see the screen while their Common Access Card was removed, mostly for the people running tests and such. It was supposed to lock the mouse and keyboard so that someone walking by couldn't just mess with whatever was on the screen. Actually it only locked the mouse and keyboard, we had to disable the smart card removal policy as well. Guess what wasn't working properly when some auditors showed up?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I concur with the week being straight up suckfest. Our ISSO has been on me about our Windows 7 computers that don't touch the network and how we need to set up another computer as a test rig. I haven't told them I'm leaving yet and I'll feel a little bad for whoever has to pick it up next cause it's a bunch of extra work for no extra pay.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
They did that for us at the beginning of the year, unless you were hired after August, then you got nothing

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Today we spent several hours writing and rewriting a paragraph that would explain what we would do about creating a test machine for another windows 10 computer that's off the network and more time drawing and redrawing a network diagram. We aren't actually going to make it a reality because no one anywhere wants another standalone. Bonus points for the guy who said "Hang on, I haven't had enough beers for this"

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Scientific instruments are the reason we have to maintain three windows 7 computers. Once Agilent or whoever stops supporting the software suddenly we can't have it on the network. I think the nonsense involved in supporting these things is getting to where the powers that be may make an exception and just let the unsupported software run on a windows 10 computer. The dynamic nuclear polarizer stays off the network forever I guess

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

App13 posted:

Please post a trigger warning before mentioning Agilent :bang:

We had them come in to perform an install and validation and they just… didn’t do like 5 key tasks. Just straight up one-lined em saying they didn’t have enough time.

Like bro come on

I'm thankful my future will soon consist of Keysight, Fluke, and probably stupid amounts of GPIB

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

App13 posted:

If I could personify the entire corporate and end user structure of Fluke into a sentient being, I’d gently caress it.

I like working with Fluke THAT much.

Everything I've touched from them, and I've dealt with a lot of their stuff has been great.

Except the 8808A multimeter, that thing is loving garbage and should be thrown away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
No more than 15 minutes after submitting a blurb about standing up a Windows 7 test machine on Thursday did our ISSO shoot it right back with requirements that were never mentioned. Would have done it today but I needed to burn sick time and after doing excessive hiking on Saturday I knew I'd need today off. Not looking forward to adding more paragraphs for a machine that'll only ever exist on paper.